PDA

View Full Version : Would Greg Byrne hire Dan Mullen?

coastdoglover
10-16-2016, 09:09 AM
It is becoming obvious that Rich Rodriguez is in trouble at Arizona. I also know Greg thinks a lot of Dan. my question is would Sexton try and land Dan in Tucson? Might be a win win for all concerned. Your thoughts?

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 09:14 AM
He could but even good ADs have bosses and hiring a coach coming off a 4 win season could put Byrne on the hot seat

Dawgology
10-16-2016, 09:19 AM
Assuming we get 4 wins? I'm thinking 3.

DownwardDawg
10-16-2016, 09:20 AM
No. Greg will be removing Dan from State and hiring us a new HC. ****

Dawgface
10-16-2016, 09:21 AM
Would be a risky hire. I doubt he would contact Dan since he has a good relationship MSU(Byrne that is), but if Mullen's agent approached him he would probably listen.

gtowndawg
10-16-2016, 09:50 AM
Bryne probably knows Dan starting over somewhere else is probably the best thing that can happen for all parties. Fingers crossed.

msbulldog
10-16-2016, 09:59 AM
If we finish with 3 or 4 wins, I would be surprised at any reputable P5 school coming after Dan. If it happens Sexton is a magician or he has pictures.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-16-2016, 10:02 AM
Would be a risky hire. I doubt he would contact Dan since he has a good relationship MSU(Byrne that is), but if Mullen's agent approached him he would probably listen.

I don't think a bridge would be burned between Byrne and State if this scenario plays out.

Brahmabull
10-16-2016, 10:02 AM
No

Really Clark?
10-16-2016, 11:32 AM
If we finish with 3 or 4 wins, I would be surprised at any reputable P5 school coming after Dan. If it happens Sexton is a magician or he has pictures.

Mike Riley went 5-7, 3-9, 9-4, 7-6, and 5-7 his last 5 years at Oregon St before Nebraska hired him. I think you can make a case that Dan's last 5 is stronger even if we end up at 3-4 wins

RC3
10-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Dan can do for Arizona what he did for us, despite this season's results at MSU. He is a pretty good coach; certainly better than rich rod IMO . He dug a hole here though by not putting enough emphasis on recruiting the last two years and by failing to cut ties with Hevesy

HailState2008
10-16-2016, 12:05 PM
Dan can do for Arizona what he did for us, despite this season's results at MSU. He is a pretty good coach; certainly better than rich rod IMO . He dug a hole here though by not putting enough emphasis on recruiting the last two years and by failing to cut ties with Hevesy

If he leaves this year, Dan is going to Oregon.

Todd4State
10-16-2016, 12:07 PM
What Dan does this year doesn't matter. It's just going to be played as "it's Mississippi State" by Sexton.

msbulldog
10-16-2016, 12:23 PM
What Dan does this year doesn't matter. It's just going to be played as "it's Mississippi State" by Sexton.

Your right Todd, I hope our PR dept. can turn it in our favor, take the high road in the publicity.

Todd4State
10-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Your right Todd, I hope our PR dept. can turn it in our favor, take the high road in the publicity.

I'm not worried about our PR department. Even when we had LT we always made it look like our coaches resigned on their own even if they were fired. And no matter if we finish with three or four wins and an Egg Bowl loss a new coach typically gets fans interested and excited about the program unless it is a terrible hire like Gene Chizek at Auburn a few years ago.

RocketDawg
Bryne probably knows Dan starting over somewhere else is probably the best thing that can happen for all parties. Fingers crossed.

That's a possibility. It's also possible that Dan's agent has been in touch with Byrne already and he's really come here to talk to Dan. Might've been easier if he'd gone to Provo though ....

GTHOM
I hope so

msbulldog
10-16-2016, 12:40 PM
I'm not worried about our PR department. Even when we had LT we always made it look like our coaches resigned on their own even if they were fired. And no matter if we finish with three or four wins and an Egg Bowl loss a new coach typically gets fans interested and excited about the program unless it is a terrible hire like Gene Chizek at Auburn a few years ago.

It always matters how you look after a coaching change. You have to thank a coach for his service and wish him well in his next opportunity. CDM will certainly resign if he goes to Arizona. The important thing is that MSU comes out looking like a University with a higher minded purpose than football. I love and support MSU athletics, but I am more proud of my degree and the reputation of our university!

lamont
10-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Byrne and Keenum still talk regularly. I doubt Byrne would hire Mullen

RougeDawg
10-16-2016, 01:39 PM

Bbbbbibgo. Most relationships run their course for multiple reasons and the Mullen/MSU love affair is over. Best for both parties to find mutual ground and part ways before the ending is bloody and brutal.

dawgs
10-16-2016, 04:22 PM
If he leaves this year, Dan is going to Oregon.

i live in portland and have a grad degree from oregon. dan isn't on their radar. that and i'm betting a soon-to-be-80 phil knight wants to make sure oregon has another national title push in them before he dies, and he's worth $25B, so i feel like he's going to make the godfather offer to chip to return. or force the price tag on herman through the roof and essentially force him to turn down oregon for non-monetary reasons.

Todd4State
10-16-2016, 04:32 PM
It always matters how you look after a coaching change. You have to thank a coach for his service and wish him well in his next opportunity. CDM will certainly resign if he goes to Arizona. The important thing is that MSU comes out looking like a University with a higher minded purpose than football. I love and support MSU athletics, but I am more proud of my degree and the reputation of our university!

I absolutely agree. That was really where Ole Miss screwed up with Cutcliffe- they made it known that he was fired. I don't think we will make that mistake if/when it's time for Dan to leave. Honestly letting it be known that any employee was fired is usually bad PR for any company.

RocketDawg
10-16-2016, 04:36 PM
i live in portland and have a grad degree from oregon. dan isn't on their radar. that and i'm betting a soon-to-be-80 phil knight wants to make sure oregon has another national title push in them before he dies, and he's worth $25B, so i feel like he's going to make the godfather offer to chip to return. or force the price tag on herman through the roof and essentially force him to turn down oregon for non-monetary reasons.

He could always go after Saban since money is no object.

Maroonthirteen
10-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Mike Riley went 5-7, 3-9, 9-4, 7-6, and 5-7 his last 5 years at Oregon St before Nebraska hired him. I think you can make a case that Dan's last 5 is stronger even if we end up at 3-4 wins

Also, basketball is king at Arizona. Football is only of moderate interest. The Cats will be content if Dan is hired.

RocketDawg
10-16-2016, 04:38 PM
I absolutely agree. That was really where Ole Miss screwed up with Cutcliffe- they made it known that he was fired. I don't think we will make that mistake if/when it's time for Dan to leave. Honestly letting it be known that any employee was fired is usually bad PR for any company.

Didn't LSU just fire Myles? Did I miss that he "resigned"?

Generally speaking though, fired employees get the opportunity to resign ... looks better for both sides. But everybody knows.