PDA

View Full Version : Now that the dust has settled

Dawgfan77
10-16-2016, 08:46 AM
The question that the administration and we as fans need to ask is this. Would you rather and let Mullen continue down this path a create an even bigger hole to climb out of in two years or start the rebuild with a new staff in place.

Red Sox Dawg
10-16-2016, 09:02 AM
The question that the administration and we as fans need to ask is this. Would you rather and let Mullen continue down this path a create an even bigger hole to climb out of in two years or start the rebuild with a new staff in place.

Here's a question for everyone. Why are some fans so certain that Mullen can't correct our problems and get us back on track? He did get us here, and from where we were to here is a much bigger hole to dig out of than where we are now and where we want to be. He pulled us out of the mire already, why do you think he can't do it again?

Oleo
10-16-2016, 09:03 AM
I think its pretty simple with Mullen. It all boils down to what he wants. If he is committed to coaching here and truly wants to lead this
program, I think he has proven his coaching ability and we should support him. If he wants to go , its delusional to
think he would an effective coach. He may have already reached this point and his coaching and recruiting is impacted.
But if he's committed to stay , I dont think we should push him out

Really Clark?
10-16-2016, 09:03 AM
Neither

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 09:07 AM
After the season, we should renegotiate Mullen's contract and put in a massive, behemoth buyout that another team would have to pay to hire him.

That way, if we do choose to keep him, we'll guarantee that he'll stay through the rebuild. Of course, we wouldn't up our buyout if we decided to fire him.

Dawgology
10-16-2016, 09:24 AM
Here's a question for everyone. Why are some fans so certain that Mullen can't correct our problems and get us back on track? He did get us here, and from where we were to here is a much bigger hole to dig out of than where we are now and where we want to be. He pulled us out of the mire already, why do you think he can't do it again?

He can if he wanted to but it appears he doesn't want to. He tried mightily to get out of here for the past two summers. He basically mailed it in last year and rode Prescotts natural ability to some wins. Looking at Prescotts success in the NFL can you really not see how our staff undercoached in 2015?? If we didn't have Prescott last year then the 2015 result would have been the same as what we have this year. Mullen hired a new agent in the offseason....for a reason. I absolutely think Mullen can right the ship. I just don't think he really wants to.

PassInterference
10-16-2016, 09:30 AM
After the season, we should renegotiate Mullen's contract and put in a massive, behemoth buyout that another team would have to pay to hire him.

That way, if we do choose to keep him, we'll guarantee that he'll stay through the rebuild. Of course, we wouldn't up our buyout if we decided to fire him.

That's now how buyouts work. The buyout is one amount. Which ever side wants to quit the contract has to pay it.

Really Clark?
10-16-2016, 09:31 AM
He can if he wanted to but it appears he doesn't want to. He tried mightily to get out of here for the past two summers. He basically mailed it in last year and rode Prescotts natural ability to some wins. Looking at Prescotts success in the NFL can you really not see how our staff undercoached in 2015?? If we didn't have Prescott last year then the 2015 result would have been the same as what we have this year. Mullen hired a new agent in the offseason....for a reason. I absolutely think Mullen can right the ship. I just don't think he really wants to.

2 summers? Last winter, yes he interviewed. But the year prior is misinformation that the message boards keep trying to make a fact. It's not true.

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 09:41 AM
That's now how buyouts work. The buyout is one amount. Which ever side wants to quit the contract has to pay it.

Unless it's negotiated otherwise. Why couldn't it be?

HereComesTheSpiral
10-16-2016, 09:55 AM

Why would anyone with half a brain sign what you are proposing?

ShotgunDawg
10-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Why would anyone with half a brain sign what you are proposing?

Because you fire them if they don't. Is Mullen in or out?

HereComesTheSpiral
10-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Because you fire them if they don't. Is Mullen in or out?

If I had Dan's current buyout and my employer came to me with that shit offer, you think I'm going to put any kind of effort into my current job?

msbulldog
10-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Hiring Sexton could only possibly mean:
1. He is seriously trying to get out.
2. Hiring a better negotiator to get him an extension with better terms.
If you think about these are the only 2 things that hiring a new agent could mean in this situation.

msstate7
10-16-2016, 10:12 AM
2. Hiring a better negotiator to get him an extension with better terms.
If you think about these are the only 2 things that hiring a new agent could mean in this situation.

Or maybe Mullen got pissed at his agent letting Mullen's name floating out for every job opening

msbulldog
10-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Or maybe Mullen got pissed at his agent letting Mullen's name floating out for every job opening

could be.

Coursesuper
10-16-2016, 10:20 AM
could be.

After 7 years with the last guy and you couldn't land the gig you wanted, you hire Sexton to get you that next gig.

msbulldog
10-16-2016, 10:30 AM
After 7 years with the last guy and you couldn't land the gig you wanted, you hire Sexton to get you that next gig.

Previous post

RiverCityDawg
10-16-2016, 10:33 AM

1) Has the dust settled?
2) How many different threads are needed to discuss this same question?

Political Hack
10-16-2016, 10:43 AM

He doesn't priorities recruiting and a select few of his coaches don't prioritize recruiting. We're not going to dig ourselves out of this hole with 2 and 3 star talent against Bama, LSU, Auburn, and A&M.

I like what he's done for State, but he's not willing to commit to this program. Plain and simple. After everything that's been built for him he's still looking for greener grass. In all honesty, I think there's a growing contingent of coaches that just aren't willing to do what it takes to win in the SEC. Brian Kelly, Harbaugh, and Meyer come to mind when thinking of coaches that could be in the SEC, but don't want to be. Mullen may be the next to exit and not look back. I can almost guarantee you Richt never returns either, even if offered. Miles is done in the SEC. I think we're starting to see the downfall of the conference as a whole, which is likely a result of the arms race that Bama has apparently run away with. We went from being a deep league to a one trick pony. And I blame a lot of that on Auburn and Ole Miss going nut-so and buying every player they wanted. It shook the league to its core, caused divides, caused recruiting to go bonkers, and took amateurism out of college football. I've slowly, but surely, become less and less interested in the product the SEC is putting on the field. I actually enjoyed watching Air Force vs New Mexico yesterday, the Clemson vs NC State game, and Ohio State vs Wisconsin. I watched a little of the Ole Miss game because I love seeing them be 3-3 and ranked #12 (are they the new Norte dame for the media or something?), but I barely saw another play of SEC football.

Coursesuper
10-16-2016, 10:59 AM
He doesn't priorities recruiting and a select few of his coaches don't prioritize recruiting. We're not going to dig ourselves out of this hole with 2 and 3 star talent against Bama, LSU, Auburn, and A&M.

I like what he's done for State, but he's not willing to commit to this program. Plain and simple. After everything that's been built for him he's still looking for greener grass. In all honesty, I think there's a growing contingent of coaches that just aren't willing to do what it takes to win in the SEC. Brian Kelly, Harbaugh, and Meyer come to mind when thinking of coaches that could be in the SEC, but don't want to be. Mullen may be the next to exit and not look back. I can almost guarantee you Richt never returns either, even if offered. Miles is done in the SEC. I think we're starting to see the downfall of the conference as a whole, which is likely a result of the arms race that Bama has apparently run away with. We went from being a deep league to a one trick pony. And I blame a lot of that on Auburn and Ole Miss going nut-so and buying every player they wanted. It shook the league to its core, caused divides, caused recruiting to go bonkers, and took amateurism out of college football. I've slowly, but surely, become less and less interested in the product the SEC is putting on the field. I actually enjoyed watching Air Force vs New Mexico yesterday, the Clemson vs NC State game, and Ohio State vs Wisconsin. I watched a little of the Ole Miss game because I love seeing them be 3-3 and ranked #12 (are they the new Norte dame for the media or something?), but I barely saw another play of SEC football.

Well said, very accurate. I'll add Tennessee to the buying up every player they can list.

DownwardDawg
10-16-2016, 11:01 AM

Wow. Outstanding post!!!!

msbulldog
10-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Hack, what your saying makes a lot of sense. If you come to coach in the SEC, you're almost setting yourself up for failure. The money is good, but the pressure is exponentially greater and your job life probably much shorter. A coach that wants to come to this conference has to have a enormous ego, Dabo Swinney comes to mind.

BrunswickDawg
10-16-2016, 11:05 AM

There is a lot there to agree with Hack. If you have ever had a job where the expectation is 24/7, you know you can only sustain it for so long before it turns you into something you don't like. That is the SEC today, it slowly infects coaches as people (unless they are morally corrupt to begin with - see Freeze, Danny Hugh.)

gravedigger
10-16-2016, 11:17 AM

Notsomuch "cant" as "wont"

Bothrops
10-16-2016, 12:02 PM

Simple, he can't correct the W/L ratio we're currently on. Our OL won't allow it next year, and we'll have Fitz at qb. Several of our younger, more talented players are not getting the essential PT required to improve on it next year. That tells me that there is no real motivation of actually trying to win games in the future.

GTHOM
10-16-2016, 12:34 PM

Yep. Mullen had one of the best players in the country, one of the best in SEC history and didnt/couldnt help him enough to win more than 9 games his senior year. Supposedly was interested in other jobs the week of Daks last home game. That should tell you all we need to know about Dan

blacklistedbully
10-16-2016, 12:55 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Political Hack again.

Commercecomet24
10-16-2016, 02:51 PM

Wow that may be the most accurate post ever. You nailed it. The SEC is so cut throat that many coaches don't want to deal with what it takes and how dirty you have to get to compete. Lance Anderson, Stanfords DC, is a friend of mine. When mason got the job at vandy he wanted lance to come with him as DC for more money than he was gonna get at Stanford. He told me he would never coach in the sec because it was to cut throat and if you lose a game at Stanford nobody wants to kill you. I still like watching sec football but I also watch more and more d2 ball, especially teams like North Dakota State, Eastern Washington, etc cause it's kids just wanting to play ball. The sec starting to remind me of the movie blue chips. I have my own personal thoughts on why Dan wants out from talking to people that know him and it mostly revolves around these very issues in the sec and specifically unm dirty program.

BayouDawg
10-16-2016, 02:56 PM

I blame slive. He helped cover up and sweep stuff under the rug for so long that now it's common practice.

Commercecomet24
10-16-2016, 03:08 PM
I blame slive. He helped cover up and sweep stuff under the rug for so long that now it's common practice.

Yep, good point.

dawgoneyall
10-16-2016, 03:28 PM

It's called "Want to".

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Slive's ego was so big that he wanted to be the most powerful person in college football along with going out as being the SEC commish who created the highest revenue of all time. See the ESPN tv deal as one example. There was no way his teams could win 7 straight NCAA titles if he allowed them to go on probation. He was just as crooked at the Hugh Freeze's of the world.