PDA

View Full Version : When will people realize Ole Miss isn't that talented?

Jarius
10-15-2016, 11:05 PM
I've heard that shit until I'm blue in the face. They have a good qb and a few good receivers and other than that they are an average SEC football team. They were predicted to win 7.5 games preseason in Vegas and people are acting surprised (not our fans but idiots that have been buildong them up). They have 1 good recruiting class on their entire roster and they are true freshmen. Maybe people will finally get it, but I'm sure they will say that ole miss is underachieving when in reality they just don't have the players.

Commercecomet24
10-15-2016, 11:08 PM
Their secondary is Swiss cheese and as bad as we run down our ol theirs isn't good at all. They're flashy when they're rolling and that leads people to believe they're better than they are. Look at their defensive numbers this year. Not good at all.

ScottH
10-15-2016, 11:12 PM
I don't disagree but the sobering point is the November boat racing we'll likely endure in oxford.

Jarius
10-15-2016, 11:15 PM
The only chance we have in November is for Freeze to lose the team because they thought that they were much better than they are and now they really have nothing to play for. If that bunch quits we can beat them. If they don't quit we have no Chance because we are horrible.

PassInterference
10-15-2016, 11:17 PM
Chad Kelly is a quick runner. His passing game is throwing balls up for grabs.

Commercecomet24
10-15-2016, 11:18 PM
The only chance we have in November is for Freeze to lose the team because they thought that they were much better than they are and now they really have nothing to play for. If that bunch quits we can beat them. If they don't quit we have no Chance because we are horrible.

You're exactly right. It's gonna be interesting because they got 2 or 3 more losses coming and it's a team of mercenaries without really any thing invested in unm accept a paycheck. If they lose a couple more they could very easily quit.

BeardoMSU
10-15-2016, 11:19 PM
Agreed that they aren't that talented, but that not-so-talented-team is gonna boat race us in November. I wish we had a modicum of a pulse, because that would be a winnable game if we did...

msujan
10-15-2016, 11:24 PM
They may not be as talented as some say, but they're fast - fast to the line and fast to run/throw while the opponent is still deciding on a defensive play. That rush to begin the play is a fierce tool.

CadaverDawg
10-15-2016, 11:25 PM
I've heard that shit until I'm blue in the face. They have a good qb and a few good receivers and other than that they are an average SEC football team. They were predicted to win 7.5 games preseason in Vegas and people are acting surprised (not our fans but idiots that have been buildong them up). They have 1 good recruiting class on their entire roster and they are true freshmen. Maybe people will finally get it, but I'm sure they will say that ole miss is underachieving when in reality they just don't have the players.

They aren't GREAT, but to say they are "average" is simply false. They don't just have "a few good receivers". They are loaded at WR.....Adeboyejo, Stringfellow, Jefferson, Lodge, AJ, DK, Pack, etc....and that's not even including their TE who leads the nation in catches & yds for a TE. They also have a very aggressive D that plays hard, fast, and tackles well. They are stacked on the DL with Speaks, D Jones, B Jones, Gross, etc. They have an above average QB. So no, they aren't GREAT, but let's not be ignorant and wear maroon shades and say they are "average".

That being said, Hugh is not a great coach. When his O is rolling and can use tempo, it's tough. The Ole Miss network and Dave Wommack have made Hugh Freeze a ton of money.

All that money and cheating, and they never made ATL. What a waste. Now they will go down hard with nothing but a Sugar Bowl with an asterisk by it to show for it

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 11:29 PM
I saw something I can't remember where but I think it was around NFL Draft time and it talked about the five stars in the 2013 class and how they panned out. Basically all of the five star guys Ole Miss got panned out but the interesting thing to me was about half or so of the rest of the five stars didn't live up to their hype- like Christian Hackenberg. That tells me that what Ole Miss had with their 2013 class was more than likely an anomaly with guys panning out.

It's a boom or bust model where you might win 10 games but you also might with 3 games and have a massive dumpster fire with all kinds of problems. Basically it's the same model as Auburn.

Like Commerce said when you have a bunch of mercenaries it doesn't take a lot for them to quit and as it is they aren't making the playoffs, they aren't winning the SEC unless a lot of craziness happens, and their NYD bowl hopes are on life support. The Georgia team that they beat hasn't been that impressive at all- losing to Vanderbilt, and then almost losing to South Carolina and Nicholls State.

And did anyone hear the stat tonight about them completing 70% of their passes in jump ball situations? That's ridiculous. And you look at their stats and they're almost last or dead last in every major defensive category. Basically they're hoping to catch your defense out of position a few times by running plays fast and getting some cheap yards and then throwing the ball up for grabs over and over.

Jarius
10-15-2016, 11:29 PM
I said they are an average SEC team, and they are. They are 3-3 and probably won't go better than 7-5. I don't know why you think they are better than that. They have the 5th most talent in the division and just lost to the team in the division with the 6th most talent. They suck on defense and don't have a good offensive line. They will beat our ass but that's not saying much.

GTHOM
10-16-2016, 12:44 AM
They are hell on offense when they get rolling, they are not very good up front except Patterson. They are good on the DL, for a quarter or two but not much depth. 3 is their best LB he can play, their secondary is as bad as ours

Turfdawg67
10-16-2016, 10:58 AM
I posted this after OM beat UGA... This was after a lot of people on here were proclaiming they wouldn't lose another game!

Exactly! They just beat a really bad UGA team that should be 1-3 right now, including losses to Mizzou and Nicholls, and suddenly State fans want to anoint them to the top. They have a great QB, really good (abusive) WRs, a fair OL, no running game and a pretty shitty D. They'll be in a bunch of shootouts the rest of the year.

I still stand by it...

GreenheadDawg
10-16-2016, 11:02 AM

Keep this post in mind when we they hang 70 on us

gravedigger
10-16-2016, 11:08 AM

So. How many average sec teams can hang with bama and have a chance to win?

Eta: they are above average. Maybe not by much, but in the sec west that is something many teams would like to have. What is shameful is that they are about to go to go to college footballs prison.

dawgday166
10-16-2016, 11:20 AM
Before the season I thought they were overrated (but didn't see 5-6 going into Egg Bowl). They lost a ton on O-line and it's young, they very weak at LB, and lost a lot in the secondary. I thought they were about an 8-4 team and thought they were about 3rd - 5th in West and was leaning towards 4th. Thought Knight might get TAM up there closer. Wasn't sure what Arky would do but thought Bert might have a good year.

I didn't see Auburn being as good as they may turn out tho. Still not sure about them yet.

Jarius
10-16-2016, 11:26 AM
So. How many average sec teams can hang with bama and have a chance to win?

Eta: they are above average. Maybe not by much, but in the sec west that is something many teams would like to have. What is shameful is that they are about to go to go to college footballs prison.

It was 48-30 with 5 minutes to go in the game and they scored garbage touchdowns. They are the definition of an average sec team. Keep repeating that if you want to but it doesn't make it any more true. They will finish in the bottom half of the west, probably ahead of only us (which is exactly where their talent profile lies). All that cheating for this.

Todd4State
10-16-2016, 11:33 AM
I posted this after OM beat UGA... This was after a lot of people on here were proclaiming they wouldn't lose another game!

Exactly! They just beat a really bad UGA team that should be 1-3 right now, including losses to Mizzou and Nicholls, and suddenly State fans want to anoint them to the top. They have a great QB, really good (abusive) WRs, a fair OL, no running game and a pretty shitty D. They'll be in a bunch of shootouts the rest of the year.

I still stand by it...

Good call. And if you think they are average now wait until the NCAA gets done with them.

msbulldog
10-16-2016, 11:44 AM
Dan finds out he can't get another decent job and decides keeping this job is his best option. He puts piss and vinegar into his coaching staff and comes up with a superior game plan. He puts all his efforts into motivating the team, the younger players play way over their head and the older players play like there NFL aspirations are on the line. MSU hangs 70 on Mississippi in the Egg Bowl in Oxford in 2016!
(This is a dream, but it is as close to a wet dream that I can come to at my age)

Jarius
10-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Keep this post in mind when we they hang 70 on us

That's a good reason for us to make a bunch of changes. It isn't a good reason for anyone to think Ole Miss is worth a shit.

messageboardsuperhero
10-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Are they talented?

QB- yes
RB- no
OL- not really
WR- top to bottom as good as it gets in CFB

DL- yes
LB- no
CB/S- a couple of talented freshmen but other than that, no

They have a lot of talent in spots but glaring holes at other positions and very little depth. All in all, not a complete team that is a threat to win anything of any real consequence.

Really Clark?
10-16-2016, 01:53 PM
Are they talented?

QB- yes
RB- no
OL- not really

DL- yes
LB- no

They have a lot of talent in spots but glaring holes at other positions and very little depth. All in all, not a complete team that is a threat to win anything of any real consequence.

I can most of that. But the DL is either below average or it's the play calling which has been going down since Tom Allen left. A good DL shouldn't be giving up over 200 yards per game rushing and be around 10th in the league in sacks and tackles for loss.

BayouDawg
10-16-2016, 01:53 PM
Are they talented?

QB- yes
RB- no
OL- not really

DL- yes
LB- no

They're like an annoying basketball team that just jacks up 3s all game. No substance no real set plan. They just live and die with big plays.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-16-2016, 02:03 PM
When I was watching them last night I realized that they are the equivalent of what Texas Tech was in and around the Leach era. They run a borderline gimmicky offense that is capable of scoring very quickly and often, which inflates how good people think they are because most people value offense over defense.

In reality they are a pretty good team, but they aren't as good as people think they are, and the offense that makes everyone think they're so great is probably also what's dragging them down a bit because their defense had to be on the field so much.

It's not a perfect analogy, obviously. But I think there are a lot of similarities.

louisvilledawg
10-17-2016, 08:34 AM
They're the best 7 on 7 team in the in the country haha

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-17-2016, 08:39 AM
Ole Miss is VERY talented but unfortunately they don't have anyone to coach them. They get to run the show. Ask all the number 1 picks that ESPN bragged about the other night during their game. They failed to mentioned that they weren't living up to the hype.

PassInterference
10-17-2016, 08:45 AM
Their recruiting is on a 3-year schedule. They went all-in in 2013 and most of those 2013 headliners are gone. Recruiting in 2014 and 2015 was good but not elite.

However, the 3-year high payroll cycle rolled around again in 2016 and they had a 5th ranked class. Where are these guys? I think of couple CBs got hurt. Where are the rest?

Goes to show that elite freshmen recruits aren't a sure thing. Maybe they can be great in year 1 and maybe they can't. But no matter who you have, it all starts on the OL and they are not strong on the OL.

You don't lose the country's best OT and other OL starters, and come out unscathed.

mic
10-17-2016, 08:46 AM
I can most of that. But the DL is either below average or it's the play calling which has been going down since Tom Allen left. A good DL shouldn't be giving up over 200 yards per game rushing and be around 10th in the league in sacks and tackles for loss.

DL has very little depth..first 4 maybe first 6 are good.. But they haven't recruited the position the last few years.. When the NCAA hammer comes this is one position they are going to suffer greatly...

Ifyouonlyknew
10-17-2016, 08:58 AM
OM is extremely talented in some spots & extremely average in others. Like others have said there WR group is 1 of the best in the country. Kelly is a very good QB who's a gunslinger so you have to live with some turnovers because that's how he plays. RB group is mediocre. OL is ok but a lot of problems get masked by tempo & quick passing game. DL individually have some very good players (Haynes, Speaks, Jones, & Jones) but collectively it's not clicking. Teams run at will on them & outside of Haynes they don't get pressure on the QB. LB group is just plain bad. People complain about Ward getting p/t for us but he runs circles around Tayler Polk who is getting a lot of p/t for OM. The secondary is somewhat young but not really. Jones, Bridges, Davis, Moore, Conner, & Hampton are all upperclassmen who play a ton back there. They're just not good. Their pace on offense covers a lot of blemishes but if you can stop them from getting that 1st quick 1st down & not allow them to get that tempo going they're very beatable. No this isn't to say we will beat them just that against good teams once they get adjusted to the warp speed & play them man on man they can be had.

Jacksondevildog
10-17-2016, 09:02 AM
LSU will slow them down and keep their offense off of the field Saturday night. I feel like the UM defense will be gassed in the second half.