PDA

View Full Version : At the end of the day; we are and always will be Mississippi State

EngDawg
10-15-2016, 11:15 AM
I know I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this post, but here goes. We are a third tier program in the toughest conference in the country. SEC TV revenue has helped us some in terms of national competivness, but against our closest rivals, the resource discrepancy has not evened up really at all. The only way for us to compete consistently in the SECW is to blantanly cheat like UM. The best we can hope for is slightly better than .500 most years, with a brilliant year like 2014 every now and then. We will never be level with Alabama, LSU, or Auburn. We just have to much of a disadvantage interms of prestige and $$$.

Link to the numbers

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

GTHOM
10-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Poor Ol MSU. We dont deserve no better than living with the shoes

I seen it dawg
10-15-2016, 11:20 AM
Effort 100% of the time in all aspects of the program. That's what we should expect.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-15-2016, 11:22 AM
True but no reason we can't go bowling every year.

GTHOM
10-15-2016, 11:23 AM
We have been better than LSU in 2014 and 2015 Mullen found a way to lose it in 15 and almost did in 14. Mullen should be damn near undefeated against auburn except his first year. We've beaten arkansas 4 years in a row. Bama has skull dragged us, Mullen has a winning record against OM and A&M has beat our ass except 1 year. Explain to me why we cant do better with a coach that isnt looking for the first trip out of Starkville esp with OM going to NCAA hell

Coursesuper
10-15-2016, 11:28 AM
Good God not again, go back to SPS. That's enough of the POMSU post.

HoopsDawg
10-15-2016, 11:28 AM
I know I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this post, but here goes. We are a third tier program in the toughest conference in the country. SEC TV revenue has helped us some in terms of national competivness, but against our closest rivals, the resource discrepancy has not evened up really at all. The only way for us to compete consistently in the SECW is to blantanly cheat like UM. The best we can hope for is slightly better than .500 most years, with a brilliant year like 2014 every now and then. We will never be level with Alabama, LSU, or Auburn. We just have to much of a disadvantage interms of prestige and $$$.

Link to the numbers

You were so proud of your terrible post on sixpack, you brought it over here. I love the straw man arguments that we will never be Alabama or LSU when NO ONE on here expects that. We expect to beat South Alabama. We expect to have a head coach who addresses glaring weaknesses by making changes. Think what Mullen could do with just an average SEC O-line. I expect a head coach who puts the same effort into recruiting that he asks of his players. We need a staff full of recruiters to compensate for Mullen. Instead we have the country club boys.

I seen it dawg
10-15-2016, 11:30 AM

Link to the numbers

Germans bomb the shit out of Pearl Harbor. Thanks for the ****ing newsflash Einstein.

EngDawg
10-15-2016, 11:33 AM
We have been better than LSU in 2014 and 2015 Mullen found a way to lose it in 15 and almost did in 14. Mullen should be damn near undefeated against auburn except his first year. We've beaten arkansas 4 years in a row. Bama has skull dragged us, Mullen has a winning record against OM and A&M has beat our ass except 1 year. Explain to me why we cant do better with a coach that isnt looking for the first trip out of Starkville esp with OM going to NCAA hell

Did you even look at the numbers

Here they are since you appear to be too lazy.

MSU AD expenses $69,500,000
UM AD expenses $82,400,000
Arky AD expenses $97,100,000
TAMU AD expenses $109,300,000
AU AD expenses $115,500,000
LSU AD expenses $121,900,000
UA AD expenses $132,400,000

yjnkdawg
10-15-2016, 11:34 AM

Link to the numbers

Well look where cheating has gotten Northern MS and they have been doing that since the Johnny Vaught era, Just moreso in the last several years on the big stage. If we tried what they have been doing , the NCAA would be knocking on our door very shortly.

BayouDawg
10-15-2016, 11:35 AM
The problem isn't that we're Mississippi state. The problem is that we mailed it in all off-season, everybody from the head coach now. You can't wait til week 7 then decide you wanna strain. It's too late now.

Taog Redloh
10-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Good God not again, go back to SPS. That's enough of the POMSU post.

Do you or do you not acknowledge our disadvantages?

Until you do this, we'll never move forward. People just do not realize how far behind the state of MS (which drives MSU) is in population growth/money/etc. It's staggering. Do you realize our population is 3 million and stagnant while AL's is 5 million and growing?

EngDawg
10-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Well look where cheating has gotten Northern MS and they have been doing that since the Johnny Vaught era, Just moreso in the last several years on the big stage. If we tried what they have been doing , the NCAA would be knocking on our door very shortly.

Your absolutely right, but karma is about to be a bitch to them

WSOPdawg
10-15-2016, 11:39 AM
The problem is that Mullen began looking at MSU as a stepping stone following our success in '14, and knowing that he wouldn't be around much longer, he let recruiting slide. Unfortunately, things rarely go as planned and now Mullen is still stuck at stepping-stone U and is having to play against the players he failed to sign, and they are now handing him his a$$!!!

Taog Redloh
10-15-2016, 11:40 AM
We are going to have to innovate, no question about it. I laugh when I see all these people say we should do the same things as the big boys. Until big boy money shows up in the program, it's not going to work. Cheating isn't going to work either.

basedog
10-15-2016, 11:52 AM
It use to be we went bowling once every decade, now it has improved, we can bowl at least 7 or 8, Mullen proved that.

Mullen isn't himself, he knows his time is about up, he is the blame, but hopefully we will find another good run soon.

IMissJack
10-15-2016, 12:08 PM
One of the reasons that our athletic donations are lower, is that we have to supplement the lack of appropriate level state funding for other aspects of the university with private donations. Those private donations are paid by the same people that donate to athletics.

Texas A&M's athletics income has gone up 132% in the last 5 years. Why? SEC and Johnny Manziel.

msbulldog
10-15-2016, 12:09 PM
HAIL STATE!

Coursesuper
10-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Do you or do you not acknowledge our disadvantages?

Until you do this, we'll never move forward. People just do not realize how far behind the state of MS (which drives MSU) is in population growth/money/etc. It's staggering. Do you realize our population is 3 million and stagnant while AL's is 5 million and growing?

More than most, but to just sit around and moan about, I've heard enough, I've heard this same bullshat for 40 years. What is holding MS and by in large MSU are the same shitty politics you see at play in our AD search.

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 12:10 PM
What those numbers tell me is we can ill afford to have a coach that doesn't put enough emphasis on recruiting and has a country club atmosphere with his assistants. We also can't just play upperclassmen because they are upperclassmen.

If we can find a coach that can do those three things and we don't give Dan another season to prove he really really really doesn't care then I think we will be back before too long.

BayouDawg
10-15-2016, 12:11 PM
More than most, but to just sit around and moan about, I've heard enough, I've heard this same bullshat for 40 years. What is holding MS and by in large MSU are the same shitty politics you see at play in our AD search.

This is so true. We're infested with country clubs and Virginia slims throughout the Bryan building.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
10-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Screw that shitty mentality !! We can WIN just like every other program in America with the right Coach...

EngDawg
10-15-2016, 12:25 PM
Screw that shitty mentality !! We can WIN just like every other program in America with the right Coach...

"You can't win there" -Darrel K. Royal

HoopsDawg
10-15-2016, 12:29 PM

Damn dude. To me, you are the worst kind of fan there is.

Coursesuper
10-15-2016, 12:32 PM

Then what the 17 is your solution, join the sun belt and play on Wednesday night, horseshit, just 17ing quit then we can't win so fvck it. We should just go and have fun? Well you can have your goddmn participation trophy, that's not how I'm raising my kids, you can and have a big happy happy joy joy fvck fvck time.

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 12:33 PM

Circa 1959.

BossDawg
10-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Nah. We just have a lot of people that need to shit or get off the pot. Hell, if Mullen would just try recruiting differently I think you'd see a completely different program right now. Mullen has even admitted before that he doesn't like to recruit, I believe, and from what I understand he doesn't really sweet talk these kids. His strategy along with Hevesy is the main thing holding us back.

I think we can compete, and I don't think history or Starkville has anything to do with it, regardless of the popular opinion. Well, not as much as some people think anyway. Our athletic department just needs to learn to speak up and force changes when there's an obvious need for it.

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 12:35 PM
Nah. We just have a lot of people that need to shit or get off the pot. Hell, if Mullen would just try recruiting differently I think you'd see a completely different program right now. Mullen has even admitted before that he doesn't like to recruit, I believe, and from what I understand he doesn't really sweet talk these kids. His strategy along with Hevesy is the main thing holding us back.

I think we can compete, and I don't think history or Starkville has anything to do with it, regardless of the popular opinion. Well, not as much as some people think anyway. Our athletic department just needs to learn to speak up and force changes when there's an obvious need for it.

Nailed it.

EngDawg
10-15-2016, 01:04 PM
Then what the 17 is your solution, join the sun belt and play on Wednesday night, horseshit, just 17ing quit then we can't win so fvck it. We should just go and have fun? Well you can have your goddmn participation trophy, that's not how I'm raising my kids, you can and have a big happy happy joy joy fvck fvck time.

A lot has changed since Royal was here, but I still think we have some serious disadvantages compared to the upper tier of the SEC. This makes what Mullen has done here even more impressive. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that the team hasn't shown effort at times this year, but we need to remember that Mullen is one of two maybe three coaches in our history that has been able to compete here. Let's all settle down and not make knee jerk staffing changes.

EngDawg
10-15-2016, 01:05 PM
And let's be happy when we go 9-4

Coursesuper
10-15-2016, 01:06 PM
Prayers Sent.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
10-15-2016, 01:09 PM
I'm pretty sure we would've all been ecstatic with an 8-4 record this year!! So why the hell do you think we weren't happy with a 9-4 record last year?

RougeDawg
10-15-2016, 01:09 PM
You were so proud of your terrible post on sixpack, you brought it over here. I love the straw man arguments that we will never be Alabama or LSU when NO ONE on here expects that. We expect to beat South Alabama. We expect to have a head coach who addresses glaring weaknesses by making changes. Think what Mullen could do with just an average SEC O-line. I expect a head coach who puts the same effort into recruiting that he asks of his players. We need a staff full of recruiters to compensate for Mullen. Instead we have the country club boys.

+1000

EngDawg
10-15-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm pretty sure we would've all been ecstatic with an 8-4 record this year!! So why the hell do you think we weren't happy with a 9-4 record last year?

Hell, half of y'all wanted to fire Mullen last year.

basedog
10-15-2016, 01:11 PM
"Choosing the right coach". Yes it does, but we haven't been very successful with picking the right one. We've had a few, wake me when we choose the right one. I've seen a lot and most have been bad so who's picking now to change our history?

Name me the ones you considered successful over our history?

Coursesuper
10-15-2016, 01:12 PM
A lot has changed since Royal was here, but I still think we have some serious disadvantages compared to the upper tier of the SEC. This makes what Mullen has done here even more impressive. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that the team hasn't shown effort at times this year, but we need to remember that Mullen is one of two maybe three coaches in our history that has been able to compete here. Let's all settle down and not make knee jerk staffing changes.

I know you don't realize it, but he's gone, he doesn't want be at MSU and hast for quite some time.

RougeDawg
10-15-2016, 01:17 PM

Im going to guess you grew up in a padded room. It wasn't the f*cking win loss record last year, or the last 3.5 years that has everyone pisses off. It's the country club, lack of recruiting, lack of overall effort and care, short wearing, off season whoring bullshit that is pissing everyone off. Please give us the coordinates of the rock you've been trapped under and we will send authorities to rescue you.

EngDawg
10-15-2016, 01:18 PM
I know you don't realize it, but he's gone, he doesn't want be at MSU and hast for quite some time.

If Mullen leaves, then so be it. But we can not be seen as forcing him out. At least not this year. That would make us look very bad to coaching candidates. Do you want a Cutcliffe Orgeron situation.

EngDawg
10-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Im going to guess you grew up in a padded room. It wasn't the f*cking win loss record last year, or the last 3.5 years that has everyone pisses off. It's the country club, lack of recruiting, lack of overall effort and care, short wearing, off season whoring bullshit that is pissing everyone off. Please give us the coordinates of the rock you've been trapped under and we will send authorities to rescue you.

You can bitch about these things all you want, but W-L is the statistic HC are judged by.

Coursesuper
10-15-2016, 01:25 PM
If Mullen leaves, then so be it. But we can not be seen as forcing him out. At least not this year. That would make us look very bad to coaching candidates. Do you want a Cutcliffe Orgeron situation.

No Shat, thus the I'm the biggest Jimmy Sexton fan there is post from me. But he's gone, you hire Sexton to get you a gig when your last one failed you horribly. His problem is, the football world knows he's an asshole and very hard to work for and that doesn't bode well for a new head gig. I hope an NFL door opens.

yjnkdawg
10-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Your absolutely right, but karma is about to be a bitch to them

I agree on the karma, but in my post I meant that to see where the cheating got them. Major sanctions with the NCAA.

EdDawg
10-15-2016, 01:33 PM
I've been reading a book and it started that one of the most awkward questions someone can ask is "Do you want to be great?"

The author says that at many professional development conferences he has asked this and not many people answer yes. That is basically what this thread is. So many people don't want to take a risk of being great. The poor ole msu "fans" are happy with being decent.

These same people say that they are use to seeing msu lose because it's our history. Well WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE THEN? Seriously why not take big risks? Guess what? Mullen was a risk, he had no head coaching experience. Every coaching hire will always be a risk.

My point is if we truly are the historically third tier team and won't get any better, what do we have to lose? We can't ever settle or get complacent, we have to keep striving to be better.

I remember a couple of years ago I believe Mullen got pissed about the fans patting the players on the back after a hard fought loss, well guess what we have surpassed that point, and it definitely doesn't happen now.

BayouDawg
10-15-2016, 01:34 PM
You can bitch about these things all you want, but W-L is the statistic HC are judged by.

See you just contradicted yourself. You can't say things like this while supporting what is shaping up to be a 3 win season.

EngDawg
10-15-2016, 01:52 PM
See you just contradicted yourself. You can't say things like this while supporting what is shaping up to be a 3 win season.

Entering this year Mullen had a W % of .611, the highest of any MSU coach since Allyn McKeen. Obviously that number will go down, but the point remains the same.

BayouDawg
10-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Entering this year Mullen had a W % of .611, the highest of any MSU coach since Allyn McKeen. Obviously that number will go down, but the point remains the same.
You Mullen supporters are running out of things to hang your hat on. In the offseason it was well he doesn't lose the bad games then USA happens. Now the talking points are well his overall winning % is the best. After this year and next year that % could very well be in the low 50s. I'll be curious to see what talking points y'all come up with then.

gtowndawg
10-15-2016, 02:01 PM
Athletic budgets are a skewed perspective. LSU offers more men's and women's sports than we offer (or have to fund). I would love to see budgets for football, basketball and baseball only. Because let's be honest, that's the only three that matter to us as fans.

EngDawg
10-15-2016, 02:04 PM
You Mullen supporters are running out of things to hang your hat on. In the offseason it was well he doesn't lose the bad games then USA happens. Now the talking points are well his overall winning % is the best. After this year and next year that % could very well be in the low 50s. I'll be curious to see what talking points y'all come up with then.

Listen, I won't shed a tear if Mullen leaves, but it has to be at the right time and in the right way. We can't come out of this looking like we ran our most successful coach in modern history off in knee jerk fashion. Plus, there is a chance Mullen might get his shit together next year.

Taog Redloh
10-15-2016, 02:07 PM
We agree there.

At the end of the day, I'd just rather see specifics from some of you guys, rather than just "go get another guy". We've done that dozens of times with the same results.

BayouDawg
10-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Listen, I won't shed a tear if Mullen leaves, but it has to be at the right time and in the right way.

We can agree on this. However I will not make excuses for half ass effort. We aren't in this situation because of our history. We are in this situation because Dan mailed it in and his love affair with Hevesy.

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 02:12 PM

Going back to Paul Davis every coach we have had has had a winning season. Five out of the last six have had 8 win seasons.

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Listen, I won't shed a tear if Mullen leaves, but it has to be at the right time and in the right way. We can't come out of this looking like we ran our most successful coach in modern history off in knee jerk fashion. Plus, there is a chance Mullen might get his shit together next year.

So all we have to do is just say that Dan was burned out and resigned. That was part of Ole Miss's problem with Cutcliffe. They made it known that he was being fired. Even LT knew to make it look like Felker and Jackie resigned. We all know that they were fired.

basedog
10-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Going back to Paul Davis every coach we have had has had a winning season. Five out of the last six have had 8 win seasons.

Are you calling that success and maintaining?

Goldendawg
10-15-2016, 02:18 PM
About our 19 wins the last 2 years. Mullen raised the bar, but last year was a very disappointing 9 and 4 season to me. Another weak finish against Bama and UNM, but we did beat the 4 OOC cupcakes, the two SEC East teams, two SEC tossup games, and beat a weak ACC team in a bowl. There was no signature win at all, but we can't even come close to that in our year 8 "rebuilding year".

BayouDawg
10-15-2016, 02:18 PM
So all we have to do is just say that Dan was burned out and resigned. That was part of Ole Miss's problem with Cutcliffe. They made it known that he was being fired. Even LT knew to make it look like Felker and Jackie resigned. We all know that they were fired.

Exactly. Coaches "resign" or "retire" every year. I don't understand the theory that our hands are tied.

TrapGame
10-15-2016, 02:19 PM

Mullen ain't getting his shit together. The hole is too deep and Keenum ain't taking his bullshit. Mullen wants out and Sexton is working the phones hard on his behalf. If Mullen is here next year I'll be very surprised.

Goldendawg
10-15-2016, 02:22 PM
This mess is like saying you got your girl a little pregnant. The results are on the way.

EngDawg
10-15-2016, 02:22 PM

The difference is that Mullen has only had two losing seasons.

EngDawg
10-15-2016, 02:23 PM

Everyone sees through that "Leaving to pursue other opportunities" bullshit. You must work in HR.

WSOPdawg
10-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Mullen ain't getting his shit together. The hole is too deep and Keenum ain't taking his bullshit. Mullen wants out and Sexton is working the phones hard on his behalf. If Mullen is here next year I'll be very surprised.

Agree Trap, Mullen continuously looking at State as "stepping-stone U" has ultimately put us in this position.

Goldendawg
10-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Most of the country still doesn't know which is UNM and which is us. Some team in the country will want the Dan that carried that Ms team to #!. Maybe Sexton can find them, but I doubt they will pay $4 mil plus.

IMissJack
10-15-2016, 02:53 PM

I got news for you. Darrel could not win at TX now the same way he did in the 50's and 60's. Not to say he wasn't a great coach, but it's a totally different ballgame. Scholarship reductions, emergence of A&M, and no 5 yds in a cloud of dust offenses are just a few changes. And, if money was the answer, TX would never lose.

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 02:54 PM
Are you calling that success and maintaining?

Since 1991 we have had 14 winning seasons to 11 losing seasons which includes a period when we were on probation. I would call that success.

I seen it dawg
10-15-2016, 02:54 PM

Because we knew the shitbag recruiting that was happening

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 02:56 PM
The difference is that Mullen has only had two losing seasons.

And counting if we keep him. Remember Jackie turned it around once he can do it again! Circa 2003.

basedog
10-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Since 1991 we have had 14 winning seasons to 11 losing seasons which includes a period when we were on probation. I would call that success.

And look at what Mullen did to improve that stat.

You said going back to Paul Davis didn't you?

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Everyone sees through that "Leaving to pursue other opportunities" bullshit. You must work in HR.

No doubt but that is still better than saying you fired someone outright. Leaving some doubt is better than removing all doubt sometimes.

As Obi Wan Kenobi said- it's true from a certain point of view.

Goldendawg
10-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Our top 25 or 30 recruiting classes are still in the very bottom part of the SEC. This is indeed a team of Dan and his lazy recruiting. You can develop a few 2 and 3 stars, but not a roster filled with about 50% of them.

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 03:00 PM
And look at what Mullen did to improve that stat.

You said going back to Paul Davis didn't you?

For the 14 out of the last 25 going back to Jackie. Dan has 6 of those 14.

My point on Paul Davis is every coach we have had here since the early 60's has experienced some success here. Pretty good for a school where "you can't win there".

basedog
10-15-2016, 03:07 PM
For the 14 out of the last 25 going back to Jackie. Dan has 6 of those 14.

My point on Paul Davis is every coach we have had here since the early 60's has experienced some success here. Pretty good for a school where "you can't win there".

JWS had 12 years, successful you say but you lead in firing Mullen. I will say his time is about up.

Btw, JWS inherits a very good squad, can't say that for Mullen.

Again, times are getting better, thanks to Mullen, he raised the bar, he also is his worst enemy.

anubus
10-15-2016, 03:10 PM
It can be done...Sherrill and Mullen have proven it.Secure the best in state talent,jucos and coach them.4 million for a coach doesnt cry poverty.

Goldendawg
10-15-2016, 03:12 PM
Croome left a serviceable OL. How many of Dan's/Hev's OL have been drafted since? BTW, the Croome years were terrible but I have been reminded of them this year in many ways, loss to USA/Maine, not ready for UM, Dan/Hev = Croome/McCorvey.

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 03:12 PM
JWS had 12 years, successful you say but you lead in firing Mullen. I will say his time is about up.

Btw, JWS inherits a very good squad, can't say that for Mullen.

Again, times are getting better, thanks to Mullen, he raised the bar, he also is his worst enemy.

Dan inherited some pretty good players- Dixon, Sherrod, Brignone, Saulsberry, Hanrahan, Bumphis, Cox, KJ Wright, Banks, Whitley, Chris White, etc.

I do agree that times are better and I want them to stay that way. As good as Dan has done it is time for him to step aside.

Commercecomet24
10-15-2016, 03:36 PM
Effort 100% of the time in all aspects of the program. That's what we should expect.

This is all I want, too! Effort, effort, effort!

GTHOM
10-15-2016, 04:38 PM
I've been reading a book and it started that one of the most awkward questions someone can ask is "Do you want to be great?"

The author says that at many professional development conferences he has asked this and not many people answer yes. That is basically what this thread is. So many people don't want to take a risk of being great. The poor ole msu "fans" are happy with being decent.

These same people say that they are use to seeing msu lose because it's our history. Well WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE THEN? Seriously why not take big risks? Guess what? Mullen was a risk, he had no head coaching experience. Every coaching hire will always be a risk.

My point is if we truly are the historically third tier team and won't get any better, what do we have to lose? We can't ever settle or get complacent, we have to keep striving to be better.

I remember a couple of years ago I believe Mullen got pissed about the fans patting the players on the back after a hard fought loss, well guess what we have surpassed that point, and it definitely doesn't happen now.

Props my dude. That was a thread ender of a post

War Machine Dawg
10-15-2016, 05:55 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/Xwd5FhrVqIWIg/giphy.gif