PDA

View Full Version : you can bitch and complain about this or that

lamont
10-15-2016, 10:57 AM
But the bottom line is that our team was not good enough to beat a 3-3 BYU team. Our team was down 35-0 at home to Auburn with 2 weeks to prepare for it.

This team wont be much better next year. This is totally different from 2013.

In 2013, we had:

A young QB that was showing flashes of greatness
Only 1 Sr starter on the OL
A young RB in J'Rob that averaged 6.0 ypc
A young Derunnya Wilson and Fred Ross
Good young talents on D like Jones, McKinney, Calhoun, Preston, Bennie B, etc.

This team doesnt have that promise.

Fitz has some skills but you dont see the "IT" factor
Aeris is ok at RB- nothing special
Mixon and Dear have some promise- but they wont be what DeRunnya/Ross were
We start 3 Sr's on the OL and We lose alot of DL guys. We will be rebuilding both next year. Thats never a good thing and usually leads to average to sub-par seasons
Leo shows promise- but we obviously dont have the depth there we had in 2013/2014
Nobody we have at CB will ever be as good as Calhoun and Redmond

Country Club Boys and their lazy recruiting. This is where we are for awhile.

dawgday166
10-15-2016, 11:00 AM
Yea ... I'm not seeing a big jump next year either. Kinda sucks.

HoopsDawg
10-15-2016, 11:06 AM
I saw some idiot on sixpack trying to compare this year to 2013 and all I could do was shake my head. This is not a rebuilding year. This is a major step down year and it's a long climb up. Probably at least 2 years at best.

DanDority
10-15-2016, 11:07 AM
I couldn't agree more, say we won last night and won against USA, where do we get our 6th win for a bowl game??????????????????

Coursesuper
10-15-2016, 11:09 AM
All are facts.

Maroonthirteen
10-15-2016, 11:14 AM
I don't think anyone (with any sense) will argue that the cupboard is loaded.

It seems our talent level will be low again next year.

However what is your solution?

I seen it dawg
10-15-2016, 11:18 AM
I'm straining to see where this isn't the beginning of a multiple year nosedive.

msstate7
10-15-2016, 11:19 AM
I saw some idiot on sixpack trying to compare this year to 2013 and all I could do was shake my head. This is not a rebuilding year. This is a major step down year and it's a long climb up. Probably at least 2 years at best.

Not saying we are destined for greatness next season, but I don't think this is as hopeless as most of you. I don't think it's unreasonable to think fitz makes a big jump next season. I think Simmons, Cory Thomas, Leo, and Spencer are players we can build around on defense... the JUCOs could potentially give us a nice front 7. We lose senior, Clayborn, and desper, but it's not like they're good... I think Reese, champion, Williams, story, and maybe even Eiland could be ready to contribute next season. Gray and mixon can be good at wr, but we really need Todd, couch, or a signee this year to give us some size in the other spot. TE should be serviceable and maybe even a plus if pierce is good as advertised. Secondary is a very big concern.

I know there's a lot of ifs in that, but I don't think it's like buying a lottery ticket. I think we can be a 7-5, 8-4 type team next season if our JUCOs pan out and fitz gets better

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Our best bet is to rebuild with another coach.

We should grab Fleck now because a major program is grabbing him next year.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2016, 11:21 AM
I couldn't agree more, say we won last night and won against USA, where do we get our 6th win for a bowl game??????????????????

Kentucky and Samford.

Not saying we will beat Kentucky, because we won't. However, if we had beaten BYU and USA, I think everyone on this board would be saying right now that we'd beat Kentucky and Samford.

DanDority
10-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Not saying we are destined for greatness next season, but I don't think this is as hopeless as most of you. I don't think it's unreasonable to think fitz makes a big jump next season. I think Simmons, Cory Thomas, Leo, and Spencer are players we can build around on defense... the JUCOs could potentially give us a nice front 7. We lose senior, Clayborn, and desper, but it's not like they're good... I think Reese, champion, Williams, story, and maybe even Eiland could be ready to contribute next season. Gray and mixon can be good at wr, but we really need Todd, couch, or a signee this year to give us some size in the other spot. TE should be serviceable and maybe even a plus if pierce is good as advertised. Secondary is a very big concern.

I know there's a lot of ifs in that, but I don't think it's like buying a lottery ticket. I think we can be a 7-5, 8-4 type team next season if our JUCOs pan out and fitz gets better

Better hope! Are they as good as Rankin?

msstate7
10-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Better hope! Are they as good as Rankin?

We can only hope haha

mic
10-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Agree.. Don't expect 8 wins next year but positives..
Front 7 will be better.. Simmons, Spencer, (Sweat juco ) if he is good as some think he will be, and lots of young guys back only loss on front 4 will be AJ
LB's will be better. Willie to the middle when Richie leaves
Clevland back will help a bunch , he isn't all SEC but will help these young guys .
Safteys will be better ..
Lots of guys back on defense just have to hope some of these young CB are going to be SEC calibure players

Offense..
Mixon and Dear will be very good . Need to get an outside guy.. Hopefully that's Guidry or one of the 3guys we signed last year workout .. I'm hearing Todd has the most upside..
OL is what it is .. Thanks Hev.. **** you
I know they are Sr's in high school but Hill is Ligit and the "other kid" is our type of back.. Aries did look ok last night. Just needs carries.
QB, Fitz has to be All In off the field and get in the playbook, film room and work.. Tiano well no one knows.. And Thompson will compete for the starting g job next year.. Yeah DW needs to transfer out.. Good kid. Just not an SEC QB.. Needs to go and okay his last year under Coach Hughes.

Taog Redloh
10-15-2016, 11:30 AM
There is no question you are correct here. It's a matter of what we do about it.

I think Mullen deserves one year to correct it. He better hope the JUCOs pan out. We have some promising young players but yeah, like you said, not as many as 2013. The JUCOs will be playing for Mullen's job.

Dawgface
10-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Wasn't that long ago when some were saying that this would be a rebuilding year but next year is when we would make a run. Ha.....maybe I misunderstood and they meant we would be playing like we had the runs.

dawgday166
10-15-2016, 11:38 AM
2018 could possibly be a good year. But Jucos HAVE to pan out. Eiland seems like a good kid, but boy is he slow. Rankin looked 5 times better than him in recruiting videos. Our O lineman CAN'T seem to MOVE. They get beat with speed all the damn time. But they make up for it by getting beat with strength too ****

HoopsDawg
If Mullen went out and found a really good O-line coach and recruiter to replace Hev and a dynamic recruiter with southern ties to replace Sallach, I would be willing to give Mullen the final 2 years on his contract.

HoopsDawg
2018 could possibly be a good year. But Jucos HAVE to pan out. Eiland seems like a good kid, but boy is he slow. Rankin looked 5 times better than him in recruiting videos. Our O lineman CAN'T seem to MOVE. They get beat with speed all the damn time. But they make up for it by getting beat with strength too ****

We don't have talent on the roster at OT, outside WR, or CB.

Taog Redloh
10-15-2016, 11:41 AM
If Mullen went out and found a really good O-line coach and recruiter to replace Hev and a dynamic recruiter with southern ties to replace Sallach, I would be willing to give Mullen the final 2 years on his contract.

Understand but dynamic recrootin doesn't help us this year or next. Any recrootin done now won't show up until 2019 or so.

I'd rather keep it simple and not micromanage the man's program. Win or hit the road.

HoopsDawg
10-15-2016, 11:43 AM
Understand but dynamic recrootin doesn't help us this year or next. Any recrootin done now won't show up until 2019 or so.

I'd rather keep it simple and not micromanage the man's program. Win or hit the road.

No shit, but there's nothing that can be done about that now.

lamont
10-15-2016, 11:44 AM
We don't have talent on the roster at OT, outside WR, or CB.

agree 100%- and in today's college football-thats a death sentence

dawgday166
10-15-2016, 11:46 AM
One thing that won't change tho is losing in final moments of games. It's like we never have practiced a hurry up offense. Or making a game winning FG. And the play calling always sucks. Does Dan know that the clock doesn't stop unless you get out of bounds or make a first down? Doe he realize that running plays cost you a LOT of time?

yjnkdawg
10-15-2016, 11:50 AM

This and To get a good OL recruit, you have to have an OL coach who the player believes can get him to the next level and a coach he wants to play for, as well. Has Hevesey met this criteria? Nope

Bothrops
10-15-2016, 11:56 AM
I'm of the firm belief that Mullen's winning days are over at MSU. The longer he's here, the more the losses will stockpile. It's better to move on in a new direction next year, rather than pawning off 2018 as well, because of a first year coach.

In other words, we won't be winning shit before 2019, if we hang on to Mullen this year.

WSOPdawg
10-15-2016, 11:59 AM
There is no question you are correct here. It's a matter of what we do about it.

I think Mullen deserves one year to correct it. He better hope the JUCOs pan out. We have some promising young players but yeah, like you said, not as many as 2013. The JUCOs will be playing for Mullen's job.

Taog, does giving a floundering coach an extra year to correct EVER really work, or does it just kick the can down the road for another year or two? I can't think of another coach at another university who managed to turn it around and be a consistent winner, but I'm sure there are some. I'm just not spending a lot of brain cells on this b/c I'm so pissed at Mullen for letting our program get in the position it is in.

He came in with that "fire in the belly" but his constant looking to upgrade jobs during the past few seasons were obviously used against him and his recruiting suffered.

Taog Redloh
10-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Taog, does giving a floundering coach an extra year to correct EVER really work, or does it just kick the can down the road for another year or two? I can't think of another coach at another university who managed to turn it around and be a consistent winner, but I'm sure there are some. I'm just not spending a lot of brain cells on this b/c I'm so pissed at Mullen for letting our program get in the position it is in.
Some probably have, but yeah it's hard to find one that is similar to Mullen. Most who have are the guys who truly wanted to be at that certain school. That being said, I just think he's earned one more year, for the job he's done so far. Just call me a loyalist I guess.

He came in with that "fire in the belly" but his constant looking to upgrade jobs during the past few seasons were obviously used against him and his recruiting suffered.
Agreed. This is why I do not defend Mullen anymore. I do think he should stay, but I'm not going to defend him against his own self-induced criticism.

lamont
10-15-2016, 12:19 PM
I agree with Goat.

Mullen has earned enough cred to not be fired-
Whether I support him or not. And there have been some coaches that have turned their programs around again after falling off- Frank Beamer is the poster boy for that. But:

Mullen is looking to leave. He doesn't want to be our Beamer. THAT is what makes all this such a cluster****

IMissJack
10-15-2016, 12:22 PM
OP= Captain Obvious

mic
10-15-2016, 12:24 PM
I agree with Goat.

Whether I support him or not. And there have been some coaches that have turned their programs around again after falling off- Frank Beamer is the poster boy for that. But:

Mullen is looking to leave. He doesn't want to be our Beamer. THAT is what makes all this such a cluster****

This should be the benchmark statement for all the Mullen leave / stay talk..
With the end result being what's best for both parties involved is that he isn't here next year...

Homedawg
10-15-2016, 12:27 PM
I agree with Goat.

Hard to find anything to disagree w here.

Gutter Cobreh
10-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Any word on the Thompson kid? Isn't he supposed to be the savior at QB? Is he still interested?

I may have the name wrong, but I thought there was a dynamic kid lined up to turn this program in the right direction.

msstate7
10-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Any word on the Thompson kid? Isn't he supposed to be the savior at QB? Is he still interested?

I may have the name wrong, but I thought there was a dynamic kid lined up to turn this program in the right direction.

He's committed and expected to enroll in December

DogsofAnarchy
10-15-2016, 12:48 PM
I agree with you most of the time Random and I do here but it's not just a crappy recruiting job by BDD. It's a piss poor coaching job by him too. BDD is the one who couldn't hire a real DC because his reputation has gotten so bad. BDD is the one who won't hire a Special Teams coach. BDD is the one who has made us dependent on an all world QB. BDD has changed this offense from physical to finesse, which I absolutely hate. This thing starts and stops with BDD.

But the bottom line is that our team was not good enough to beat a 3-3 BYU team. Our team was down 35-0 at home to Auburn with 2 weeks to prepare for it.

This team wont be much better next year. This is totally different from 2013.

In 2013, we had:

A young QB that was showing flashes of greatness
Only 1 Sr starter on the OL
A young RB in J'Rob that averaged 6.0 ypc
A young Derunnya Wilson and Fred Ross
Good young talents on D like Jones, McKinney, Calhoun, Preston, Bennie B, etc.

This team doesnt have that promise.

Fitz has some skills but you dont see the "IT" factor
Aeris is ok at RB- nothing special
Mixon and Dear have some promise- but they wont be what DeRunnya/Ross were
We start 3 Sr's on the OL and We lose alot of DL guys. We will be rebuilding both next year. Thats never a good thing and usually leads to average to sub-par seasons
Leo shows promise- but we obviously dont have the depth there we had in 2013/2014
Nobody we have at CB will ever be as good as Calhoun and Redmond

Country Club Boys and their lazy recruiting. This is where we are for awhile.

BankerDog
10-15-2016, 12:50 PM

He has a guy to replace Sallach. Brad Peterson.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
10-15-2016, 12:51 PM
I agree Mullen shit the bed on this one!! His recruiting deficiency has put us years behind.. smh

msstate7
10-15-2016, 12:58 PM
He has a guy to replace Sallach. Brad Peterson.

Is this a done deal? Really think this could be a huge move for us.

With all the coaching changes that are about to happen in CFB, we have to capitalize and get an oline and rb coach

WSOPdawg
10-15-2016, 12:59 PM
I agree with Goat.

I think it will all come down to how we close the season with aTm, Bama, Arky & TCUN -- if its 4 blowout losses and we're not competitive and TCUN pummels us something like 49-10, then he's toast imo.

RougeDawg
10-15-2016, 01:02 PM
I agree with Goat.

AN EMPLOYEE NEVER EVER EARNS ANY RIGHT WHEN HE TELLS HIS BOSS HE WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO SUCCEES AT HIS CURRENT POSITION !!!!!

Please provide me an example of someone saying "I'll never be able to get that contract signed" "or I'll never be able to win that bid/proposal/etc." and keep their current position? Holy f*cking shit it's not rocket surgery. Mullen has quit on this team and university more times than Engie has been banned. The team knows this, recruits know this and most common sense fans know this. Giving him another year simply delays the inevitable and only puts us farther back, creating a much larger hole to dig out of.

Jarius
10-15-2016, 01:03 PM
It really irks me when I hear "Mullen has earned another year". The hell he has. He was paid very damn well for his success. He is owed nothing. He will be paid very well if he has to leave. We need to do what's best for our program, not what Mullen had "earned".

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
10-15-2016, 01:13 PM
It really irks me when I hear "Mullen has earned another year". The hell he has. He was paid very damn well for his success. He is owed nothing. He will be paid very well if he has to leave. We need to do what's best for our program, not what Mullen had "earned".

Amen brotha Amen!! He's a millionaire times 20 he'll be just fine I can assure you that!!

Lance Harbor
10-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Agree.. Don't expect 8 wins next year but positives..
Front 7 will be better.. Simmons, Spencer, (Sweat juco ) if he is good as some think he will be, and lots of young guys back only loss on front 4 will be AJ
LB's will be better. Willie to the middle when Richie leaves
Clevland back will help a bunch , he isn't all SEC but will help these young guys .
Safteys will be better ..
Lots of guys back on defense just have to hope some of these young CB are going to be SEC calibure players

Offense..
Mixon and Dear will be very good . Need to get an outside guy.. Hopefully that's Guidry or one of the 3guys we signed last year workout .. I'm hearing Todd has the most upside..
OL is what it is .. Thanks Hev.. **** you
I know they are Sr's in high school but Hill is Ligit and the "other kid" is our type of back.. Aries did look ok last night. Just needs carries.
QB, Fitz has to be All In off the field and get in the playbook, film room and work.. Tiano well no one knows.. And Thompson will compete for the starting g job next year.. Yeah DW needs to transfer out.. Good kid. Just not an SEC QB.. Needs to go and okay his last year under Coach Hughes.

Who will replace Fred Ross' drops?

msstate7

Is paying 6+ million to fire our most successful coach ever after the first bowl miss since '09 in a year where lots of much better jobs than us will be open what's best for our program? Not saying whether it is or it isn't, but I don't think it's near as cut and dry as most believe

ILOATHEBears
I agree Mullen shit the bed on this one!! His recruiting deficiency has put us years behind.. smh

This is what I need help with from some of you coaches. We always talk it's the jimmies and joes. Well I assume our last 4 yr recruiting avg is above that of BYU. If so then we should on paper be better and have more athletes. So does this come down to coaching over recruiting in games like this? And it may be we just have a roster of sun belt players that CDM can't win with

HoopsDawg
10-15-2016, 02:06 PM
This is what I need help with from some of you coaches. We always talk it's the jimmies and joes. Well I assume our last 4 yr recruiting avg is above that of BYU. If so then we should on paper be better and have more athletes. So does this come down to coaching over recruiting in games like this? And it may be we just have a roster of sun belt players that CDM can't win with

We are the best offer for 95% of the guys we are signing.