PDA

View Full Version : Scary Thought: Was Last Night the Best This Team Can Play?

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2016, 08:34 AM
There's certainly a ton to yell at the coaches about, but most of that is about where the program currently is & the players that are playing in it.

I will give them credit though for getting our guys to play hard last night on a short week after Auburn.

However, what's scary is that last night may have been the best this team can play. I don't see how any of the problems that caused us to lose last night can be fixed this year.

The team played better against South Carolina, but BYU is a full grade better team than South Carolina. I think what we saw last night is about the best we can expect this year.

Good effort with inconsistency & catastrophic errors from both young & old players

dawgclub99
10-15-2016, 08:46 AM
Yes. I still think we finish 3-3 with a surprise win over Arky or OM but we are not going bowling.

Irondawg
10-15-2016, 08:50 AM
I think we still have a few more gears if we can get going. Fitz is capable right now of throwing a little bit better, the wr can drop a few less balls. We can trip over our own feet a little less. We can not drop interceptions thrown right to us a little less.

Maybe we can figure out the TE is an eligible receiver

That said I think that was as close to our best that we've played and we should have won about 23-13 somewhat routinely

basedog
10-15-2016, 08:50 AM
Of course they can play better, defense was really good as for as their best effort and game plan. Fitz makes plays but he misses plays, way too inconsistent, way to many correctable mistakes last nigh, dropped TD pass, Missed FG, missed wide open TD passes, interceptions, personal fouls and the big play we didn't make was stripping the ball from QB in OT and not recovering it. We didn't make the big plays.

Really Clark?
10-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Of course they can play better, defense was really good as for as their best effort and game plan. Fitz makes plays but he misses plays, way too inconsistent, way to many correctable mistakes last nigh, dropped TD pass, Missed FG, missed wide open TD passes, interceptions, personal fouls and the big play we didn't make was stripping the ball from QB in OT and not recovering it. We didn't make the big plays.

Fitz is like a young Nolan Ryan. He will strikeout 300 batters in a season but also walk and hit 250. Grass took him down on the 4th down play but a great effort play in OT

basedog
10-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Fitz is like a young Nolan Ryan. He will strikeout 300 batters in a season but also walk and hit 250. Grass took him down on the 4th down play but a great effort play in OT

I think that sums it up pretty well. He is a threat, but his lack of experience shows up about as much making plays.

dawg27
10-15-2016, 09:35 AM
I think that sums it up pretty well. He is a threat, but his lack of experience shows up about as much making plays.

He is a threat with his legs, but missing wide-open receivers by 5 yards is not lack of experience he is just not an SEC quarterback.

PassInterference
10-15-2016, 09:41 AM
If Fitz ever turns on the light, we are substantially better. He just isn't seeing receivers that are open and if he does, he stares them down. The result is incimolete, INT, or receivers being instantly hit when the ball arrives. That is almost every...single....throw.

He didn't check down to a RB a single time last night. Instead of taking the easy 3-5 yards with a checkdown, he'd throw smoke at a guy who was tightly covered.

Fitz's head is not in the game.

dawg27
10-15-2016, 09:49 AM
From game one till this game there is no improvement, he leaves wide-open receivers never looks that way and he locks into one receiver and will throw to them even if they're covered he is not an SEC quarterback

drunkernhelldawg
10-15-2016, 10:14 AM
I think Mullen's initial instinct, that Williams was our best chance, was correct. Unfortunately, college coaching is as much about social politics as it is about coaching football.

state66
10-15-2016, 10:17 AM
That is the best the offense can play under fitz. Its time to move on.