PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, how does any team do from #1 for 5 weeks to this suboptimal?

Indndawg
10-15-2016, 08:03 AM
Laziness?
Slacking?

Comfortable?

I can accept a down season, but nothing like this....and some ppl are OK w this situation.

msstate7
10-15-2016, 08:07 AM
I don't think anyone is ok with it. I'm just part of the group that doesn't think we should burn it to the ground. There is a middle ground between fire everyone and everything is rosy

civildawg
Yes
Yes
Yes

Mullen gave up on this job while getting paid 4 million and people still want to keep him for some reason

civildawg
3-9 is already burned to the ground

Really Clark?
10-15-2016, 08:12 AM
Laziness?
Slacking?

Comfortable?

I can accept a down season, but nothing like this....and some ppl are OK w this situation.

It sucks. It also happens. Michigan St was in the playoffs last year and have just lost 3 in a row. Oregon is 2-4 and was 13-2 two years ago. We shot ourselves in the foot so many times last night. But I do think one thing that many on either side of the debate wanted to see if the team had quit after the Auburn game. They haven't yet. And the defense played plenty well enough to win that game in regulation.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-15-2016, 08:21 AM
Right now I am in full blown apathy mode until some major staff changes.

QB development is supposed to be ******* strength. This is what he trots out? I gave Mullen the benefit of the doubt before the season started.

Indndawg
10-15-2016, 08:31 AM
I don't think anyone is ok with it. I'm just part of the group that doesn't think we should burn it to the ground. There is a middle ground between fire everyone and everything is rosy

1) Get your shit together and start recruiting...hard...convince 4/5 stars to come to MSU
2) Fire the dead wt (Looking at you OL "coach")
3) Put the best on the field, not just the oldest
4) No more extensions or increases in pay until all things are rectified
5) Act like you care in both speech and body language

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Mullen really needs to start targeting a QB transfer right now.

GreenheadDawg
10-15-2016, 08:37 AM
Right now I am in full blown apathy mode until some major staff changes.

QB development is supposed to be ******* strength. This is what he trots out? I gave Mullen the benefit of the doubt before the season started.

I'm with you man. I'll be completely honest, I didn't see the final score until 5 minutes ago. I went to bed because I'm just tired of watching what we put on the field. As a program and as a fanbase, we are quickly moving back to the Croom days where people just don't give a shit

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2016, 08:41 AM
Mullen really needs to start targeting a QB transfer right now.

This.

Fitz just doesn't have any feel in the passing game. We've got to get another QB on campus or just go with Keytaon next year, but I don't think he's ready.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Keytaon looks like the type of guy we should be getting. When Mullen struck out on QB recruiting before he should have gotten a transfer. I put faith in him because of his development of Dak but I was obviously wrong.

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 08:44 AM

Honest question- do you think Dan will turn it around?

msstate7
10-15-2016, 08:48 AM

I think he's capable, but I'm not positive. Even if he doesn't though, I think next year is better timing for a move, so i want to give him a shot

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2016, 08:48 AM

70%/ 30% chance of no. Will depend on how good these JUCO guys are we are recruiting & we need a grad transfer QB.

I think if Mullen can tread enough water in the next two years, he can learn from his mistakes & turn things around.

However, as with all these predictions, we must first ask if Mullen even wants to be hear or, if he'll only look out for #1 & bury this program further than he already has.

civildawg
10-15-2016, 08:49 AM
And turn it around isn't 6-6

MrKotter
10-15-2016, 08:50 AM
No.

msstate7
10-15-2016, 08:50 AM
And turn it around isn't 6-6

What is turning it around? What record do you expect from a HC at state?

civildawg
10-15-2016, 08:52 AM
8-4 next year at a minimum. Schedule is way harder too but he's dug himself in this whole. How you possibly go worse than 6-6 with our schedule this season is an embarrassment

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 08:55 AM
I think he's capable, but I'm not positive. Even if he doesn't though, I think next year is better timing for a move, so i want to give him a shot

I disagree. One more year of Dan means two more sub standard recruiting classes. That will set us back even further. Fan apathy is starting to set in and keeping him is going to cost us millions more than the buyout. We need someone that wants to be here. We get a new coach this offseason then that coach can set up their recruiting system and staff just months before the hammer falls on Ole Miss. That way we won't be setting anything up recruiting wise and we can fully strike at that time- hopefully with a coach that has us unified as a fanbase.

GreenheadDawg
10-15-2016, 09:03 AM
I disagree. One more year of Dan means two more sub standard recruiting classes. That will set us back even further. Fan apathy is starting to set in and keeping him is going to cost us millions more than the buyout. We need someone that wants to be here. We get a new coach this offseason then that coach can set up their recruiting system and staff just months before the hammer falls on Ole Miss. That way we won't be setting anything up recruiting wise and we can fully strike at that time- hopefully with a coach that has us unified as a fanbase.

Yep. I love these guys that say we need to give him a year or two to "turn it around". Let's just keep digging the hole deeper

DownwardDawg
10-15-2016, 09:04 AM
What is turning it around? What record do you expect from a HC at state?

Look at our schedule. I expect 8-4 every year. That's not too much to ask for if we schedule correctly. Some 7-5 seasons sprinkled in with a few 9-3 seasons.

msstate7
10-15-2016, 09:16 AM
Look at our schedule. I expect 8-4 every year. That's not too much to ask for if we schedule correctly. Some 7-5 seasons sprinkled in with a few 9-3 seasons.
So pretty much what Mullen has given us.

BankerDog
10-15-2016, 09:23 AM
I wanna put some blame on the S&C staff. We have been absolutely whipped in every game we have played in. We have put too much weight on Gerri Green, Fletcher Adams, Brandon Bryant, etc. that's all on the S&C.

Duckdog
10-15-2016, 09:24 AM
We've got a transfer put that boy in

Indndawg
10-15-2016, 09:29 AM

Drop in attendance, donations...will force someone's hand

msugolf
10-15-2016, 09:31 AM
I wanna put some blame on the S&C staff. We have been absolutely whipped in every game we have played in. We have put too much weight on Gerri Green, Fletcher Adams, Brandon Bryant, etc. that's all on the S&C.

Absolutely right. We have the weakest S&C staff in the SEC and that's a known fact. Our stud LB recruit Leo got stiff armed by a QB last night. Our players consistently get pushed around by smaller, faster players and we struggle to hit anyone with force or wrap up, hence the missed tackles.

Bottom line, our team plays soft because they are soft.

gtowndawg
10-15-2016, 09:39 AM
The longer we keep Dan, the bigger the hole will get. It's that simple. Everything else at this point is just static.

Dawgfan01
10-15-2016, 09:41 AM
1) Get your shit together and start recruiting...hard...convince 4/5 stars to come to MSU

Hell yes get rid of hevessy. I feel we were just a few good olineman and a half decent coach away from the playoffs. We always get dominated by elite talent because of the poor recruiting and coaching. I also think millen should get a young upcoming offensive coordinator to bring along to call plays so mullen can focus on everything it takes to win

Dawgfan01
10-15-2016, 09:43 AM
We've got a transfer put that boy in

Who are you talking about

PassInterference
10-15-2016, 09:43 AM
Poor recruiting. Poor relationships with defensive staff.

Indndawg
10-15-2016, 09:45 AM
"You can't just up and fire an SEC COY after coming off a Liberty Bowl victory, one year removed and beating bama"

"We just don't have the $"
"Firing the reigning SEC COY will have a severe backlash in recruiting"

dawgday166
10-15-2016, 09:49 AM
We were #1 for 5 weeks??? When did that happen?

BankerDog
10-15-2016, 09:49 AM
I also wanna put blame to recruiting. Over the past five years these were guys we just had to take because they were from Mississippi, Dandy Dozens, had some stars, etc:

Jake Thomas-4* OL, now is Maroon VIP.
Grant Harris-3* DL. Hasn't done anything in 3 years. Played soft in HS at Clinton. But everyone was really worried if we'd get him.
Martianas Rankin-4* can't miss LT. ha.
Torrey Dale- Not from MS but I still laugh.
Damien Robinson- Mr. 5* can't miss OL.
Brandon Wells
Chris Rayford
Xavier Grindle
Smokey Graham-All Hype. But I do believe with the right coaching he would be pretty decent. He is very athletic.
Devon Desper
Jocquell Johnson
OL from California a few years back
Muniz

I could go on and on. I'm just very very leery of how Greenville Wesson had two, not one but TWO, 4* SEC LBs (Jung, Green) yet Northwest Rankin and Madison Central also seemed to run at will on those guys. Seriously think about it. Then I see two guys at Northwest Rankin this year who are supposed 4* guys and they don't even pass the eye test on the field while there are two other guys with no offers who look like they should be getting some. It goes back to evaluations. I think Mullen got comfortable and handed things over to Sleepy and Tony Hughes to start recruiting and this is what they leave us with. Top that on the fact Mullen was keeping guys warm last year because he thought he wasn't going to be here it all just adds to it.

And one more thing: stop taking guys and putting weight in them. As in Fletcher Adams case, you put 30 pounds on a kid and he loses his first step that made him so good in high school. Gerri Green looks like a DE out there and we have him at MLB. You take Justin Johnson, a 6'1 210 HS WR and what do you do with him? Drop him to TE naturally after he puts on 20 pounds. JT Gray was a pretty quick cat and could actually tackle a little bit and what do we do? Put 20 pounds on him and make him an undersized LB instead of keeping him at Safety. We take Daryl Williams and Harrison Moon in the same class. Williams is suppose to be one of the top centers in the nation. Yet we slide him to guard and have Moon (recruited as a LT) slide down to center. That's crap. Damn I miss JC Brignone, Salsberry, Tobias Smith, Addison Lawerence, Day, Beckwith, and Clausell.

DownwardDawg
10-15-2016, 10:09 AM
So pretty much what Mullen has given us.

Pretty much, but not quite. Look at his stubbornness. If he would hire a decent O Line coach we would be much better. If he would hire a good ST coach and make that a priority, we would be better. If he had not shopped for jobs every year and hurt our recruiting, we would be better. If he had ran Anthony Dixon four times in a row up the middle, we would have beaten LSU in his first year and went to a bowl that year.
Hey, if you're happy with Mullen's performance and effort, then great for you. I see a coach that has been better than most that we've had because we HAVE BEEN A HORRIBLE PROGRAM FOREVER!!! I want a coach that wants to be much better than Mullen has been.

mic
10-15-2016, 10:14 AM
Not saying Fitz is the answer going forward.. But the kid played and competed last night.. Yeah he made a few bad throws and reads , but Ross helped none with drops, and not many QBs score that TD he did..
My problem with Fitz going forward is all the talk and noise about his off the field work.. Get ur ass in the playbook and practice field and out of the bars and frat houses..

Todd4State
10-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Pretty much, but not quite. Look at his stubbornness. If he would hire a decent O Line coach we would be much better. If he would hire a good ST coach and make that a priority, we would be better. If he had not shopped for jobs every year and hurt our recruiting, we would be better. If he had ran Anthony Dixon four times in a row up the middle, we would have beaten LSU in his first year and went to a bowl that year.
Hey, if you're happy with Mullen's performance and effort, then great for you. I see a coach that has been better than most that we've had because we HAVE BEEN A HORRIBLE PROGRAM FOREVER!!! I want a coach that wants to be much better than Mullen has been.

You are right. Dan has been our best or at least one of our best but some of that is because the bar has been set pretty low. I'm not sure if we really even truly know what our ceiling is but I wouldn't be surprised if it is higher than some of us think simply because our history has been bad.

yjnkdawg
10-15-2016, 12:02 PM

On 2) I would add RB and TE and get some good recruiters in those positions.

BossDawg
10-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Laziness?
Slacking?

Comfortable?

All of the above. It dawned on me yesterday that Mullen hasn't capitalized on any sort of momentum yet. Is that not strange? Other than Dak, nothing, NOTHING has actually improved under his watch - it either gets worse or doesn't change at all.

Hevesy and the lack of OL recruiting/production is a major issue, not to mention recruiting in general. Mullen can't seem to get it through his head that these young punks are, well, punks, and they want you to feed THEIR ego, not the other way around. Evidently Mullen thinks he can get by on telling recruits the truth rather than what they want to hear.