PDA

View Full Version : Dear lawd when does baseball start???

Duckdog
10-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Im worried Im going to be saying that tonight

msstate7
10-14-2016, 12:36 PM
Skipping basketball?

DownwardDawg
10-14-2016, 12:44 PM
Skipping basketball?

For realz! State fans should ALL be looking forward to basketball these days. Gonna be exciting this year!!!

Duckdog
10-14-2016, 12:55 PM
Meh Im not a big fan of basketball

sscjr1
10-14-2016, 01:03 PM
There's a scrimmage going on now

Duckdog
10-14-2016, 02:34 PM
How are they looking anyways??? Should I even been looking forward to baseball season????????????????????????????

louisvilledawg
10-14-2016, 04:39 PM
How are they looking anyways??? Should I even been looking forward to baseball season????????????????????????????

I'm eager to see how we replace the most overrated (imo) player from the last decade in Reid Humphreys.

Hot taeks only.

Todd4State
10-14-2016, 05:31 PM
I'm eager to see how we replace the most overrated (imo) player from the last decade in Reid Humphreys.

Hot taeks only.

I think Reid has a chance to make it to MLB as a relief pitcher.

Todd4State
10-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Good to see Cole Gordon with a grand slam and I continue to hear that Harrison Bragg is doing well. That is very encouraging for us.

Todd4State
10-14-2016, 05:33 PM
For realz! State fans should ALL be looking forward to basketball these days. Gonna be exciting this year!!!

I really like what Howland is doing.

dawgday166
10-14-2016, 06:02 PM
I really like what Howland is doing.

So far so good. Howland actually has done this before as a HC 3 or so different times. He ain't livin off his reputation as a PG whisperer while working for a HOF Coach ****

msstate7
10-14-2016, 06:07 PM
So far so good. Howland actually has done this before as a HC 3 or so different times. He ain't livin off his reputation as a PG whisperer while working for a HOF Coach ****

Dak was recruited and developed by Dan, so I think that's a cheap shot. Urban has 1 nfl taking snaps right now just like Dan.

*not saying Dan is on urban's level bc he isn't, but the main difference is urban is one of the best recruiters ever and Dan obviously isn't

dawgday166
10-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Dak was recruited and developed by Dan, so I think that's a cheap shot. Urban has 1 nfl taking snaps right now just like Dan.

*not saying Dan is on urban's level bc he isn't, but the main difference is urban is one of the best recruiters ever and Dan obviously isn't

LMFAO haha. Thought that might bring you out of the woodwork.

I didn't say anything about QBs. I was talking about PGs. But since YOU brought it up - Urban has 2 in the league tho (both were 3* I believe). Tyler Russell was a 4* (where is he?) ETA: Of course Brian Johnson wasn't there to help develop Tyler.

msstate7
10-14-2016, 06:31 PM
LMFAO haha. Thought that might bring you out of the woodwork.

I didn't say anything about QBs. I was talking about PGs. But since YOU brought it up - Urban has 2 in the league tho (both were 3* I believe). Tyler Russell was a 4* (where is he?) ETA: Of course Brian Johnson wasn't there to help develop Tyler.

You know what you were saying.

You think Tyler Russell would've been great under urban. Fact is that Tyler just doesn't fit Mullen or urban's offense. You can certainly make a good case that Mullen should've gotten a qb that fit his system better... bo Wallace would've been a much better fit to get us to dak. Had we gotten bo, om may have never taken off under freeze but I digress. I know bo and dak both played in '12, but dak was behind bo at that point.

On urban's 2... I said "taking snaps"... in other words, starting

dawgday166
10-14-2016, 06:36 PM
You know what you were saying.

You think Tyler Russell would've been great under urban. Fact is that Tyler just doesn't fit Mullen or urban's offense. You can certainly make a good case that Mullen should've gotten a qb that fit his system better... bo Wallace would've been a much better fit to get us to dak. Had we gotten bo, om may have never taken off under freeze but I digress.

On urban's 2... I said "taking snaps"... in other words, starting

Seems like early in his tenure Dan made the statement that the spread could be adapted to most any QB to emphasize what he did best. Seems like I remember that quote. And he also did that with Relf if I recall correctly. That must've been back when he still had some creativity left inside of him.

Todd4State
10-14-2016, 07:21 PM
Seems like early in his tenure Dan made the statement that the spread could be adapted to most any QB to emphasize what he did best. Seems like I remember that quote. And he also did that with Relf if I recall correctly. That must've been back when he still had some creativity left inside of him.

The interesting thing about Dan's offense that I have noticed is that regardless of the type of QB we have he MUST have a between the tackles running back like a Ballard, Robinson, etc. for it to work the best. We struggled the most as an offense and were more predictable with Perkins and Holloway as the main running backs.

dawgday166
10-14-2016, 07:50 PM
The interesting thing about Dan's offense that I have noticed is that regardless of the type of QB we have he MUST have a between the tackles running back like a Ballard, Robinson, etc. for it to work the best. We struggled the most as an offense and were more predictable with Perkins and Holloway as the main running backs.

I would tend to say you might be onto something there. For some reason maybe Dan has forgotten or chooses to ignore.

Todd4State
10-14-2016, 07:55 PM
I would tend to say you might be onto something there. For some reason maybe Dan has forgotten or chooses to ignore.

I think it's the "my offense is so good it doesn't matter who I plug in" syndrome some coaches have. And really good coaches get that sometimes. Bill Walsh for example had that and it actually made a lot of his players upset because they felt like he overlooked their actual talent and didn't give them enough credit as players.

dawgday166
10-14-2016, 08:00 PM
I think it's the "my offense is so good it doesn't matter who I plug in" syndrome some coaches have. And really good coaches get that sometimes. Bill Walsh for example had that and it actually made a lot of his players upset because they felt like he overlooked their actual talent and didn't give them enough credit as players.

That's very true on Walsh, although later on I think he came to realize (in his book on the Niners) what he had had in Joe. I tend to believe you may be right about Dan.

Todd4State
10-14-2016, 08:06 PM
That's very true on Walsh, although later on I think he came to realize (in his book on the Niners) what he had had in Joe. I tend to believe you may be right about Dan.

Absolutely. I think he realized it when others started to run their version of his offense and it wasn't quite the same without Montana, Rice, and Craig.

But with Dan, I think that's why we see a lot of the personnel decisions and why he tends to favor upperclassmen. They know the system "better" because they have been in a lot longer and since it's simply plug and play talent doesn't really matter that much in Dan's mind.

Bothrops
10-14-2016, 08:09 PM
We're going to be good in baseball, but have a chance to be great in basketball.

dawgday166
10-14-2016, 08:17 PM
We're going to be good in baseball, but have a chance to be great in basketball.

Not sure I see great this year. Next or in 2 I'm somewhat optimistic.

dawgday166
10-14-2016, 08:26 PM
Absolutely. I think he realized it when others started to run their version of his offense and it wasn't quite the same without Montana, Rice, and Craig.

But with Dan, I think that's why we see a lot of the personnel decisions and why he tends to favor upperclassmen. They know the system "better" because they have been in a lot longer and since it's simply plug and play talent doesn't really matter that much in Dan's mind.

Young was no Montana.

I don't know about Dan. I don't if I see the plug-n-play part.

One thing I don't know but am curious about. From the article on Dak, he has put so much work into perfecting his play at QB. Studies all the time and while in college. Seems to have made the transition easier for him to NFL. I imagine most kids ain't gonna be like Dak is. Which makes me wonder if the offense needs to be simplified some - but I really don't know. I also tend to think that Dan may reward the ones that do - even tho they may not be that talented. Don't know.

Not sure what Petrino does but he consistently does a LOT more with approximately the same talent levels (based on recruiting rankings).

Todd4State
10-14-2016, 08:28 PM
Not sure I see great this year. Next or in 2 I'm somewhat optimistic.

I think it depends on our weekend guys. One thing that is in our favor is the SEC schedule. No Florida or Vanderbilt for us. Kentucky for SBW, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Georgia are the rest of the SEC East schedule. We get LSU, Bama, and Auburn at home on the road we have Ole Miss, A&M, and Arkansas. Obviously a few tough SEC series in there but that's how it is in the SEC and it could be a lot worse.

Very early of course, but I am encouraged about what I am hearing about Gordon and Harrison Bragg. With Rooker in that mix we may have a little more power than I thought. We do have a legit ace in Pilkington. We need Keegan James, Breaux, and Cyr to step up. Jacob Barton who I think may be the closer had a rough day today but of course it's very early. Parker Ford gave up a couple of runs but very good to see him back on the mound. I'm not sure what we will get out of him coming off of Tommy John but I think by 2018 he could give us a huge boost. It was good to see Myles Gentry pitch well today and I noticed that Andrew Mahoney is back on the team after a year in JUCO.

I won't say that we're "great" either this year in terms of winning a SEC title or going to Omaha but I think we're solidly built in the field and if we can figure out our staff and their roles we should be a 2 seed.

Todd4State
10-14-2016, 08:31 PM
Young was no Montana.

I don't know about Dan. I don't if I see the plug-n-play part.

One thing I don't know but am curious about. From the article on Dak, he has put so much work into perfecting his play at QB. Studies all the time and while in college. Seems to have made the transition easier for him to NFL. I imagine most kids ain't gonna be like Dak is. Which makes me wonder if the offense needs to be simplified some - but I really don't know. I also tend to think that Dan may reward the ones that do - even tho they may not be that talented. Don't know.

Not sure what Petrino does but he consistently does a LOT more with approximately the same talent levels (based on recruiting rankings).

I think Dak was so special he just elevated everyone else around him. I don't know how Petrino does it either but I imagine he is able to fit things around the players he has and utilize their skill sets. Like if he had Holloway he probably wouldn't try to run him p the middle a lot. He adjusts his system to the players he has rather than have the players adjust to the system.

dawgday166
10-14-2016, 08:44 PM
I think it depends on our weekend guys. One thing that is in our favor is the SEC schedule. No Florida or Vanderbilt for us. Kentucky for SBW, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Georgia are the rest of the SEC East schedule. We get LSU, Bama, and Auburn at home on the road we have Ole Miss, A&M, and Arkansas. Obviously a few tough SEC series in there but that's how it is in the SEC and it could be a lot worse.

Very early of course, but I am encouraged about what I am hearing about Gordon and Harrison Bragg. With Rooker in that mix we may have a little more power than I thought. We do have a legit ace in Pilkington. We need Keegan James, Breaux, and Cyr to step up. Jacob Barton who I think may be the closer had a rough day today but of course it's very early. Parker Ford gave up a couple of runs but very good to see him back on the mound. I'm not sure what we will get out of him coming off of Tommy John but I think by 2018 he could give us a huge boost. It was good to see Myles Gentry pitch well today and I noticed that Andrew Mahoney is back on the team after a year in JUCO.

I won't say that we're "great" either this year in terms of winning a SEC title or going to Omaha but I think we're solidly built in the field and if we can figure out our staff and their roles we should be a 2 seed.

Ha! I was responding to the basketball part. Haven't kept up with the recruiting on that too much, just know we're very young and know it's hard to be great (unless your KY or Duke with their recruits) when as young as we will be. In a year or so tho ...

On baseball, I'll trust you to keep me informed. I definitely don't keep up with that other than during the season. Schedule does look pretty good tho. I was concerned that the pitching staff needs to mature and be more consistent (with who is left) for us to be pretty good. Seems like you think so too.

Todd4State
10-14-2016, 09:05 PM
Ha! I was responding to the basketball part. Haven't kept up with the recruiting on that too much, just know we're very young and know it's hard to be great (unless your KY or Duke with their recruits) when as young as we will be. In a year or so tho ...

On baseball, I'll trust you to keep me informed. I definitely don't keep up with that other than during the season. Schedule does look pretty good tho. I was concerned that the pitching staff needs to mature and be more consistent (with who is left) for us to be pretty good. Seems like you think so too.

I think I'll be pretty happy with a 20 win season and the NIT but when you are as young as us there's no telling what will happen. I don't think I will get too down on Howland if we by chance have a bad year because I know we have a LOT of talent and it looks like more talent coming in and it's just a matter of time. Sort of like Cohen's first couple of years.

dawgday166
10-14-2016, 09:08 PM
I think I'll be pretty happy with a 20 win season and the NIT but when you are as young as us there's no telling what will happen. I don't think I will get too down on Howland if we by chance have a bad year because I know we have a LOT of talent and it looks like more talent coming in and it's just a matter of time. Sort of like Cohen's first couple of years.

I'm with you on all of that one.