PDA

View Full Version : Perspective on BYU

Political Hack
10-13-2016, 02:57 PM
Their QB is a sophomore I think. He's 23 years old. We're about to play a football game against grown men.

I hate to say it, but I think we're going to see the benefits of maturity. I hope we can "out athlete" them, but I think discipline, focus, and maturity win the day.

What say yee?

HoopsDawg
10-13-2016, 03:03 PM
Their QB is a sophomore I think. He's 23 years old. We're about to play a football game against grown men.

I hate to say it, but I think we're going to see the benefits of maturity. I hope we can "out athlete" them, but I think discipline, focus, and maturity win the day.

What say yee?

5 of their 6 games have been decided by 3 points or less. Their 17 point win vs Mich State was impressive but Mich State is extremely down this year. Their 2 point win over Toledo should give us a little hope.

I was hoping BYU would be favored by 4 so I could load up. 9 points seems too high. I will not be "playing" this game, but I just can't see a win. I think we've got some stuff going on within the team and within the leadership. Beyond that, we can't block anyone, we aren't playing the right people and we aren't getting much penetration on defense.

dawgpound
10-13-2016, 03:05 PM
5 of their 6 games have been decided by 3 points or less. Their 17 point win vs Mich State was impressive but Mich State is extremely down this year. Their 2 point win over Toledo should give us a little hope.

I was hoping BYU would be favored by 4 so I could load up. 9 points seems too high. I will not be "playing" this game, but I just can't see a win. I think we've got some stuff going on within the team and within the leadership. Beyond that, we can't block anyone, we aren't playing the right people and we aren't getting much penetration on defense.

Either way its sad to see us going from where we were a couple years ago to be over a touchdown dog to BYU.

Maroonthirteen
10-13-2016, 03:16 PM
I say ....I think you are right. However, last week was about Auburn's lines. They absolutely bulldozed us. I don't expect BYU to have that kind of OL or DL. Therefore, I think we will look a lot better this week. However, we will start slow and make to many mistakes to over come.

BYU has been in some big games at home and on the road. They will be fired up vs an SEC school at home. If the game is close in the 4th, advantage them.

It will be a much closer game than last week. However, take BYU minus the points.

louisvilledawg
10-13-2016, 03:21 PM

What say yee?

Is Taysom Hill not their qb anymore as of today? He's like 26 and used to be a hell of dual threat guy. he ran for over 200 yards on texas a few years back (on a manny diaz defense i believe) but now i think he's more of a pocket passer pursuant to a few awful leg/knee injuries.

I'm more worried about their running back, Jamaal williams. He's averaging over 6 yards a carry on the season and almost has 1000 yards already. I know everybody will be like "we are a good run defense" but we are currently ranked like 36th in rush defense and have given up 7 or 8 rushing tds on the year.

i read somewhere that almost half their team is married. They are also on avg about 20 years old when the start their freshman campaign because of the Latter day saints mission stuff which lasts about 2 years for guys.

I feel like we have a great shot to pull the upset (feels weird typing that), just depends on which coach and team gets off that bus.

the59dawg
10-13-2016, 03:23 PM

What say yee?

What I read is he is a 6 yr man due to many injuries.

Dawgfan01
10-13-2016, 03:31 PM

Our offensive line is horrible and nothing matters behind that. Hevessy cant coach and sure as heck can't recruit. We are in a doomed from the start season and it sux

klong-dog
10-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Yeah not a good feeling about this one. We score a late TD to make the game but more respectable but still lose 34-20. They will frustrate us with their running game and mix it up just enough to hit us on some big passes as well. We will have trouble scoring against them. Like I said, a late TD to help with the look of the scoreboard.

Taog Redloh
10-13-2016, 03:40 PM
Their QB is a senior, bro. Taysom Hill has been there forever.

DownwardDawg
10-13-2016, 04:21 PM
They are going to make us look weak.

defiantdog
10-13-2016, 04:39 PM
They are going to make us look weak.
We are weak

MarketingBully
10-13-2016, 04:42 PM
Their QB is a senior, bro. Taysom Hill has been there forever.

Wasn't Taysom Hill the QB at BYU when they crushed Texas and got Manny fired? Yeah, he has been there a long long time.

DownwardDawg
10-13-2016, 04:44 PM
Wasn't Taysom Hill the QB at BYU when they crushed Texas and got Manny fired? Yeah, he has been there a long long time.

Like 12 years it seems.

I seen it dawg
10-13-2016, 04:44 PM
Everything setting up for it to be bad tomorrow night.

MarketingBully
10-13-2016, 04:49 PM
Everything setting up for it to be bad tomorrow night.

Agreed. It's hard to be excited as a fan about a game when a mediocre Auburn team dominates you to the tune of 35-0 in the first half. The offensive line we have is the worst one I have seen in about 30 years. Did the Tech and 10 team in the late 80s have a line this bad? Maybe the 2002 year that almost got Fant killed?

Dawgface
10-13-2016, 04:50 PM
BYU by 20.

Really Clark?
10-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Agreed. It's hard to be excited as a fan about a game when a mediocre Auburn team dominates you to the tune of 35-0 in the first half. The offensive line we have is the worst one I have seen in about 30 years. Did the Tech and 10 team in the late 80s have a line this bad? Maybe the 2002 year that almost got Fant killed?

We gave 36 sacks in 2008. In 2002 we gave up 32, 2003 36, 2005 36, 2006 29, and last year 32. Those are worse seasons in allowing sacks. We are on pace for 26.4 this year but will see if he have some high numbers against just a couple teams like last year.

MarketingBully
10-13-2016, 05:04 PM
We gave 36 sacks in 2008. In 2002 we gave up 32, 2003 36, 2005 36, 2006 29, and last year 32. Those are worse seasons in allowing sacks. We are on pace for 26.4 this year but will see if he have some high numbers against just a couple teams like last year.

We still have A&M, Alabama, and Ole Miss left. All three of those teams have much much better DLs then Auburn does.

Really Clark?
10-13-2016, 05:14 PM
We still have A&M, Alabama, and Ole Miss left. All three of those teams have much much better DLs then Auburn does.

Yeah we do and I said we will see how it plays out. Last year was bad mainly because of Bama and UNM games. Half of our sacks last year came in those two games. However, I don't see UNM line as being better than Auburn's as of today. They are off of their sack, tackle for loss and way off their total defense (last in the league) numbers from last year. In fact if their numbers for total defense doesn't improve, it will be worse than So Car's last year. And their Rush defense about 90 yards per game worse than last year.

Commercecomet24
10-13-2016, 05:29 PM
I've watched every byu game this year. They don't have speed on either side of the ball, taysom hill is not the same after 3 straight years of season ending leg injuries, he's a spread option qb trying to run air raid and for the first time in my memory their ol is not good. We have more speed and athletes than they do. We have a chance but we can't play like last Saturday or it'll be over early. We will pressure hill and get sacks and force him into some bad decisions. I just don't know what to expect out of us anymore but we can win this one. Would help feelings around here some. I know I may be the lone voice here with some hope.

Thick
10-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Their previous games mean absolutely nothing. We are a SEC team coming to their house. Regardless of our record, they are going to be sky high. We will get their best effort no doubt.

Todd4State
10-13-2016, 05:34 PM
Yeah we do and I said we will see how it plays out. Last year was bad mainly because of Bama and UNM games. Half of our sacks last year came in those two games. However, I don't see UNM line as being better than Auburn's as of today. They are off of their sack, tackle for loss and way off their total defense (last in the league) numbers from last year. In fact if their numbers for total defense doesn't improve, it will be worse than So Car's last year. And their Rush defense about 90 yards per game worse than last year.

Statistically Ole Miss's defense is awful. Like last in the SEC horrible.

louisvilledawg
10-13-2016, 06:27 PM

I discussed this a few posts up

BayouDawg
10-13-2016, 06:54 PM
I see this going similar to last years game against Missouri. Its a long travel on a Thursday/Friday night and I think we come out deader n last years cornshucks. The difference being that we don't have the leaders or play makers to flip the switch this year. It could get ugly

Maroonthirteen
10-13-2016, 09:27 PM

Alabama, yes. Tammy and OM...no. That was as big and physical OL, RB, DL and LBs that I have seen at Auburn in a long time. Auburn is a big physical team. They will give Alabama all they want this year.

GTHOM
10-13-2016, 10:41 PM
If there is any doubt about whether or not this team has quit, we will find out tomorrow night. Im of the opinion that they have already mailed it in. We'll see

BayouDawg
10-13-2016, 10:52 PM
Statistically Ole Miss's defense is awful. Like last in the SEC horrible.

Ole miss is basically a mid 2000's big12 team this year. Really good offense and all they are looking for out of the defense is big plays. Any team that will line up and run right at them can have success.

Really Clark?
10-13-2016, 11:05 PM
Ole miss is basically a mid 2000's big12 team this year. Really good offense and all they are looking for out of the defense is big plays. Any team that will line up and run right at them can have success.

And they are not getting that many big plays either. Their turnover margin is not good either. If it stays at that ratio it will probably cost them a game that they should win.

BayouDawg
10-13-2016, 11:09 PM
And they are not getting that many big plays either. Their turnover margin is not good either. If it stays at that ratio it will probably cost them a game that they should win.

Oh I agree. That's what baffled me about Georgia's offensive gameplay. They were averaging 5 ypc but kept trying to pass it while ole miss was only rushing 4 and dropping 7.

NCDawg
10-13-2016, 11:19 PM

After I saw our DL get knocked back 2 and 3 yards by Auburn while in our redzone and score with ease, I don't have a lot of hope.

yjnkdawg
10-13-2016, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I felt sorry for Fant and he could have been a really great qb if he had any support. The team wouldn't block for him as they wanted the other qb. How do I know this? I have a friend who was on the team.

yjnkdawg
10-13-2016, 11:42 PM
Nothing has really been mentioned about preparing for the altitude. I know before Texas played in Provo, they prepared prior to by using high altitude masks. That altitude can be a factor if you aren't prepared for it.. Beautiful country though, between Park City and Provo.

Schultzy
10-14-2016, 12:55 AM
If there is any doubt about whether or not this team has quit, we will find out tomorrow night. Im of the opinion that they have already mailed it in. We'll see

This is what the big takeaway should be for everyone. Has Mullen lost the team? It seemed that way last Saturday and Our performance against BYU will either confirm it or show us the the team still has fight left in it.

It seems to me he has lost the team but I hold out hope that I am wrong, find out in eight hours and twenty minutes.

msbulldog
10-14-2016, 06:23 AM
I've watched every byu game this year. They don't have speed on either side of the ball, taysom hill is not the same after 3 straight years of season ending leg injuries, he's a spread option qb trying to run air raid and for the first time in my memory their ol is not good. We have more speed and athletes than they do. We have a chance but we can't play like last Saturday or it'll be over early. We will pressure hill and get sacks and force him into some bad decisions. I just don't know what to expect out of us anymore but we can win this one. Would help feelings around here some. I know I may be the lone voice here with some hope.

Sure hope your right comet, your are right about needing something positive to happen.

BB30
10-14-2016, 08:36 AM
This game is going to be extremely difficult for many reasons, I understand why we are playing at 9:15 but that is going to be late on our guys and on a short week after we got physically abused plus travel heck we really only got 3-3 1/2 true days of preperation. Not that we have seemed to prepare very well to begin with. Just a sucky day and time to play in what will be a pretty rowdy hostile crowd. We will definitely know if this team has mailed it in or not after this game. Someone has got to step up and show some leadership and make a big play early. It will be interesting to see how we handle it after getting blown out last week.

BulldogBear
10-14-2016, 09:29 AM
One thing we have going for us the inevitable let down after the big upset on the road. I'm not saying it'll be enough but you see this every week of every season. Tyson Hill is very good but I have seen many teams all but shut him down over the last couple of seasons. Probably need to play him man to man (spy). Not that I have big hopes that we will gameplan well.