PDA

View Full Version : Kivon Coman

MaroonFlounder
10-13-2016, 02:34 PM
Tweeted out that he will not be travelling to BYU.

What's going on?

bulldawg28
10-13-2016, 02:38 PM
He's hurt. This increases our chances of making plays on the backend

GreenheadDawg
10-13-2016, 02:39 PM
In his defense, all of the safeties have looked prettt horrible.

MaroonFlounder
10-13-2016, 02:43 PM
I didn't know he was hurt. What is his injury?

Jarius
10-13-2016, 02:44 PM
I hope he is ok right after the season is over. Every one of our seniors needs to catch the Moultrie knee until right after thanksgiving. It's time to start building for the future, and since Dan Mullen is too hard headed to realize that God will have to intervene for our youth movement to begin.

HoopsDawg
10-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Guess that means B. Bryant will have to start. I was ready to bench him after he mailed it on the goal line last week. Probably have Bryant and McLaurin at Safeties. I'm ready to stick Peters out there at corner and let him sink or swim.

Bully13
10-13-2016, 02:49 PM
At this point, what difference does it make?

louisvilledawg
10-13-2016, 02:52 PM
I hope he is ok right after the season is over. Every one of our seniors needs to catch the Moultrie knee until right after thanksgiving. It's time to start building for the future, and since Dan Mullen is too hard headed to realize that God will have to intervene for our youth movement to begin.

+1

lamont
10-13-2016, 02:52 PM

yeahhhhhhhhhhh, lets take out our interception leader who is one of our leading tacklers so we can get better.....

Taog Redloh
10-13-2016, 02:55 PM
yeahhhhhhhhhhh, lets take out our interception leader who is one of our leading tacklers so we can get better.....

He sucks. That's our problem. Our upperclass is just low on talent.

Rick Danko
10-13-2016, 02:56 PM
nm

Political Hack
10-13-2016, 03:01 PM

You sure? Just asking because I'm curious.

Homedawg
10-13-2016, 03:13 PM

This^

Homedawg
10-13-2016, 03:14 PM
He sucks. That's our problem. Our upperclass is just low on talent.

And he's the best we got a and its not close.

LC Dawg
10-13-2016, 03:31 PM
What are the defensive responsibilities of our safeties? If it is to be 7-10 yards behind receivers as they settle and make catches in the middle of the field then our safeties are doing a hell of a job.

Johnson85
10-13-2016, 03:33 PM

In most positions, I would agree with you, as we typically have low upperclassman talent backed up by even worse underclassman talent. But at safety, I think McLaurin and Bryant have the athleticism to be good, so that is one position where it might actually help for the future.

But I'm not to the point where I think wins are meaningless this season. Our next three games (and probably only our next three games) are still winnable and 5 wins still a very different feeling from 3 wins, and I don't want to enter into next season having lost seven of our last eight games.

But if we lose Friday, then we're probably going 3-9 regardless, and I'd much rather get young guys as much experience as possible, even if it ensures we go 3-9 instead of 4-8.

Jarius
10-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Two of his interceptions are results of him not being where he actually should have been on the play and getting very fortunate that a receiver dropped a ball that hit him right in the hands (Auburn) and our dline getting pressure and forcing a terrible throw (UMASS). He may be the best we have, but the season is toast and losing him won't be that big of a drop off from our younger players who need reps (and if it is a big dropoff then whooptydoo)

BoomBoom
10-13-2016, 03:44 PM

Amd we need 2 for next year. Bryant and McLaurin haven't been good, so our expectations were clearly wrong, but that doesnt mean that they won't improve, maybw tremendoisly improve, with reps. Maybe they only become league average by their senior seasons. At this point, I'll take it.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-13-2016, 04:24 PM
Why are we saying McLaurin & Bryant need reps like those 3 don't rotate pretty much every series.

bulldawg28
10-13-2016, 05:47 PM

Lol..He has one int this year and probably less than 5 for his career. That's terrible.

bulldawg28
10-13-2016, 05:48 PM
You sure? Just asking because I'm curious.

Playmaking increase? Or injury?

Really Clark?
10-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Lol..He has one int this year and probably less than 5 for his career. That's terrible.

He does lead the team so far this season with 2

bulldawg28
10-13-2016, 06:13 PM
He does lead the team so far this season with 2

He still has less than 5 ints for his career of 4 years playing. For a safety that's mind blowing to me.

Really Clark?
10-13-2016, 06:20 PM
He still has less than 5 ints for his career of 4 years playing. For a safety that's mind blowing to me.

You holding his 2 years back up time against him? I mean we would all love for him to have a lot more. How many do you think he an average SEC safety should have in a season and over 2-3 years of starting and good back up reps?

bulldawg28
10-13-2016, 06:30 PM
You holding his 2 years back up time against him? I mean we would all love for him to have a lot more. How many do you think he an average SEC safety should have in a season and over 2-3 years of starting and good back up reps?

He's played 3 solid years. He should be in the 8-10 range easily. Teams throw the ball 25 times a game.

Really Clark?
10-13-2016, 06:50 PM
He's played 3 solid years. He should be in the 8-10 range easily. Teams throw the ball 25 times a game.

10 career interceptions would put him like Top 50 of all SEC DB's, not just safety, since 1976. Banks is tied for 3rd with 16 career Int's. Eric Berry had 14 and is 13th. Dereck Pegus had 12. These are guys who started at least 3 years. I think you are expecting a lot for an average SEC safety.

Todd4State
10-13-2016, 06:57 PM
It’s hard to judge a DB on INT’s alone because a lot of times if they’re really good people won’t throw their direction which cuts down on their INT’s. The best way I have seen and I think this is for NFL players only is to rate them play by play on how they carried out their particular assignment. +2 for a spectacular play, +1 for a good play, 0 for doing their job, -1 for a bad play, and -2 for a really bad play.

Of course, to do that you would have to have someone breaking down the film that knows football very well. It’s not something that Joe Fan could do accurately.

bulldawg28
10-13-2016, 07:11 PM
10 career interceptions would put him like Top 50 of all SEC DB's, not just safety, since 1976. Banks is tied for 3rd with 16 career Int's. Eric Berry had 14 and is 13th. Dereck Pegus had 12. These are guys who started at least 3 years. I think you are expecting a lot for an average SEC safety.

Just being average would get him 2-3 a year. Heck, hustling to the ball will get you picks. Similar to the pick Saturday

bulldawg28
10-13-2016, 07:14 PM
It’s hard to judge a DB on INT’s alone because a lot of times if they’re really good people won’t throw their direction which cuts down on their INT’s. The best way I have seen and I think this is for NFL players only is to rate them play by play on how they carried out their particular assignment. +2 for a spectacular play, +1 for a good play, 0 for doing their job, -1 for a bad play, and -2 for a really bad play.

Of course, to do that you would have to have someone breaking down the film that knows football very well. It’s not something that Joe Fan could do accurately.

If your a safety it's hard to avoid you. A corner can be avoided not a safety. He's just not that good at safety. However, he's a great person

msbulldog
10-13-2016, 07:18 PM

Sad!

msbulldog
10-13-2016, 07:23 PM
In most positions, I would agree with you, as we typically have low upperclassman talent backed up by even worse underclassman talent. But at safety, I think McLaurin and Bryant have the athleticism to be good, so that is one position where it might actually help for the future.

But I'm not to the point where I think wins are meaningless this season. Our next three games (and probably only our next three games) are still winnable and 5 wins still a very different feeling from 3 wins, and I don't want to enter into next season having lost seven of our last eight games.

But if we lose Friday, then we're probably going 3-9 regardless, and I'd much rather get young guys as much experience as possible, even if it ensures we go 3-9 instead of 4-8.

Agree.

Irondawg
10-13-2016, 09:14 PM
You had to say it but losing Conan does hurt. He's pretty average at best but everyone else has been horrible. McLaurin got smoked a few times Saturday.

It's honestly depressing to watch other games and consistently see tight coverage and people making plays in the ball and then watch us. We just haven't been an athletic, aggressive secondary in a while.

Really Clark?
10-13-2016, 09:19 PM
Just being average would get him 2-3 a year. Heck, hustling to the ball will get you picks. Similar to the pick Saturday

You do realize that 3 in a season is Top 10-15 in the SEC every year. 5-6 INT leads or is in the Top 3 every year. In fact 3 of last 4 years that wins the SEC crown in Int's. You have an inflated idea about how many a safety should have.

Todd4State
10-13-2016, 11:24 PM
If your a safety it's hard to avoid you. A corner can be avoided not a safety. He's just not that good at safety. However, he's a great person

I agree and as you probably know I think Coman is below average at safety personally. But I am also trying to be fair to him and no doubt the scheme we play does him no favors.

yjnkdawg
10-13-2016, 11:48 PM

So you are glad one of our players,who gives his all for the team, got injured? Maybe I'm reading this wrong?

bulldawg28
10-14-2016, 06:42 AM
You do realize that 3 in a season is Top 10-15 in the SEC every year. 5-6 INT leads or is in the Top 3 every year. In fact 3 of last 4 years that wins the SEC crown in Int's. You have an inflated idea about how many a safety should have.

I played safety and know exactly how the position goes. 3 interceptions a year is to be expected. Alabama's safety got 3 interceptions last week in one game. An aggressive safety will either cause turnovers or benefit from them

bulldawg28
10-14-2016, 06:42 AM
I agree and as you probably know I think Coman is below average at safety personally. But I am also trying to be fair to him and no doubt the scheme we play does him no favors.

I agree

bulldawg28
10-14-2016, 06:43 AM
So you are glad one of our players,who gives his all for the team, got injured? Maybe I'm reading this wrong?

I'm not glad he's hurt I just see the silver lining. And who says he gives his all?

Really Clark?
10-14-2016, 08:19 AM
I played safety and know exactly how the position goes. 3 interceptions a year is to be expected. Alabama's safety got 3 interceptions last week in one game. An aggressive safety will either cause turnovers or benefit from them

I don't care what you played. We are talking just average SEC safety. You are describing an All SEC DB including CB. The second team safety's last year for all SEC had 4. And Elston only had 1 the year before. Fitzpatrick 3 last week was the first of the year. He had 2 in 14 games last year, ironically those 2 came in one game as well. You have an over inflated idea of what an AVERAGE safety should have numbers wise.

bulldawg28
10-14-2016, 11:49 AM
I don't care what you played. We are talking just average SEC safety. You are describing an All SEC DB including CB. The second team safety's last year for all SEC had 4. And Elston only had 1 the year before. Fitzpatrick 3 last week was the first of the year. He had 2 in 14 games last year, ironically those 2 came in one game as well. You have an over inflated idea of what an AVERAGE safety should have numbers wise.

And all of those safeties you've mentioned are aggressive and impact the games. Anddddd they almost have more interceptions in one year than Coman in his entire career. Fitzpatrick has more ints in 1 1/2 years than Comans career. Whomever the second team safety with 4 last year again totals his career. I also wish he was half the safety and impacted the games as Elston.

You were saying?

Really Clark?
10-14-2016, 11:52 AM
And all of those safeties you've mentioned are aggressive and impact the games. Anddddd they almost have more interceptions in one year than Coman in his entire career. Fitzpatrick has more ints in 1 1/2 years than Comans career. Whomever the second team safety with 4 last year again totals his career. I also wish he was half the safety and impacted the games as Elston.

You were saying?

AVERAGE dude. The question originally was an average safety. Not Impact all SEC types. Just an average middle of the road safety. You keep wanting him to have numbers well above that.

Noah11
10-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Kivon Coman is absolutely trash in my opinion.

thf24
10-14-2016, 12:11 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Really Clark?
10-14-2016, 12:14 PM

Really? Discuss a player play on the field and mistakes is fine. This type of crap post should get you a holiday

Noah11
10-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Really? Discuss a player play on the field and mistakes is fine. This type of crap post should get you a holiday

really? yeah Really he is a terrible. Can't tackle, can't cover the deep ball, can't cover much at all. How many times have we gotten beat on the deep ball since he has been here?

Really Clark?
10-14-2016, 12:33 PM
really? yeah Really he is a terrible. Can't tackle, can't cover the deep ball, can't cover much at all. How many times have we gotten beat on the deep ball since he has been here?

Talk about his play. Never ever get on message board calling one of our player's trash. Idiotic post and you don't get an excuse to try and backtrack and clarify after that.

Noah11
10-14-2016, 12:44 PM
Talk about his play. Never ever get on message board calling one of our player's trash. Idiotic post and you don't get an excuse to try and backtrack and clarify after that.

Why would i talk about anything other than his play? i dont know him personally so i cant talk about his off the field actions. His PLAY is trash. I cant say he is trash as a person, because i dont know the guy, but if it came across that way i apologize i meant his play.

Landon7799
10-14-2016, 02:16 PM

You should never talk about a player like this. That is embarrassing. I just guess you aren't TrueMaroon.

Noah11
10-14-2016, 02:29 PM
You should never talk about a player like this. That is embarrassing. I just guess you aren't TrueMaroon.

Landon dude ur just trying to get me banned like u said at lunch

bulldawg28
10-14-2016, 02:44 PM
AVERAGE dude. The question originally was an average safety. Not Impact all SEC types. Just an average middle of the road safety. You keep wanting him to have numbers well above that.

I'll just disagree. I think 8-10 interceptions within a 3 year playing career is average. Anything above is above average hence All American. Since Mullen has arrived he's had decent to good safety play. The past two years haven't been so good.

Really Clark?
10-14-2016, 03:11 PM
I'll just disagree. I think 8-10 interceptions within a 3 year playing career is average. Anything above is above average hence All American. Since Mullen has arrived he's had decent to good safety play. The past two years haven't been so good.

Well you are wrong. Eddie Jackson entered this year, his senior year where he also started 4 games as freshman and played a significant rotation his freshman year, had 8 career INT's. He is a first team all sec performer and has played a whole lot more than Coman. And he entered the year with 8 and has only got 1 INT this year against WKU. Coman did not play significant min until last year but he should match first team all SEC Jackson? The numbers you think he should have is out of whack.

bulldawg28
10-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Well you are wrong. Eddie Jackson entered this year, his senior year where he also started 4 games as freshman and played a significant rotation his freshman year, had 8 career INT's. He is a first team all sec performer and has played a whole lot more than Coman. And he entered the year with 8 and has only got 1 INT this year against WKU. Coman did not play significant min until last year but he should match first team all SEC Jackson? The numbers you think he should have is out of whack.

Lol..you keep proving my point with numbers. Coman has played significantly since his sophomore year. Coman has 4 interceptions in his career guy. That's terrible. Regardless, you win. If you think Coman is an average SEC safety don't complain about Mullen's recruiting anymore. He's doing a great job bringing in SEC talent across the board, amirite?

Really Clark?
10-14-2016, 03:30 PM
Lol..you keep proving my point with numbers. Coman has played significantly since his sophomore year. Coman has 4 interceptions in his career guy. That's terrible. Regardless, you win. If you think Coman is an average SEC safety don't complain about Mullen's recruiting anymore. He's doing a great job bringing in SEC talent across the board, amirite?

You are being ignorant. He has not played nearly the significant min as Jackson. Jackson started 4 games as a freshman and was a significant backup then has started ever since. Coman never started a game until last year as a JR. Jackson has nearly two more years of actual playing time vs Coman's actual game snaps and Jackson in 3 1/2 years has only 9 and is a first team all SEC safety. If that is your bench mark for AVERAGE then you are living in a fantasy land. And at no point did I ever say Coman was average. Just your idea of what is considered average is out of line.

RougeDawg
10-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Guess that means B. Bryant will have to start. I was ready to bench him after he mailed it on the goal line last week. Probably have Bryant and McLaurin at Safeties. I'm ready to stick Peters out there at corner and let him sink or swim.

Bryant had quit on plays or checked up multiple times a game. He has multiple opportunities each game to lay wood, sometones potentially dislodging the ball on a pass, and he doesn't even make contact. He's not the only one half adding it but it's more noticeable because he's usually doing it in the open field with fewer people around him. Makes me sick to watch he and others not even give half o an effort.

yjnkdawg
10-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Delete

Percho
10-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Bryant had quit on plays or checked up multiple times a game. He has multiple opportunities each game to lay wood, sometones potentially dislodging the ball on a pass, and he doesn't even make contact. He's not the only one half adding it but it's more noticeable because he's usually doing it in the open field with fewer people around him. Makes me sick to watch he and others not even give half o an effort.

Do you think the new rules have anything to do with hitting?

Johnson85
10-14-2016, 04:37 PM

??? I know you said decent to good, but hard to see good and safety in the same sentence with Mullen's career at state. Mullen had bad safety play his first until J Banks (I think?) moved there. Mullen had a good year from Nikoe in 2010 even though he was young. Can't remember what we got in 2011. We did not have decnet safety play in 2012 and then just got decent play from Nikoe in 2013 (although he had to be a badass just to be decent playing through his injuries). In 2014 we were decent when market, Hughes, and Cox were healthy. We had shit starting when Market got hurt in the egg bowl. We had shit safety play in 2015. We have shit safety play in 2016. After OL, it's been our biggest weakness over Mullen's career.

bulldawg28
10-14-2016, 05:09 PM
??? I know you said decent to good, but hard to see good and safety in the same sentence with Mullen's career at state. Mullen had bad safety play his first until J Banks (I think?) moved there. Mullen had a good year from Nikoe in 2010 even though he was young. Can't remember what we got in 2011. We did not have decnet safety play in 2012 and then just got decent play from Nikoe in 2013 (although he had to be a badass just to be decent playing through his injuries). In 2014 we were decent when market, Hughes, and Cox were healthy. We had shit starting when Market got hurt in the egg bowl. We had shit safety play in 2015. We have shit safety play in 2016. After OL, it's been our biggest weakness over Mullen's career.

Charles Mitchell

Todd4State
10-14-2016, 05:54 PM

Or put on an ark for 40 days and 40 nights.

Todd4State
10-14-2016, 05:56 PM
Do you think the new rules have anything to do with hitting?

Doubt it. You can still tackle. I'm not sure what is going on with Bryant. He made some phenomenal plays last year and there was even talk of him possibly going u the NFL early. You would get laughed at now if you said that Bryant was going to leave early. It's pretty odd.

Todd4State
10-14-2016, 05:59 PM
You are being ignorant. He has not played nearly the significant min as Jackson. Jackson started 4 games as a freshman and was a significant backup then has started ever since. Coman never started a game until last year as a JR. Jackson has nearly two more years of actual playing time vs Coman's actual game snaps and Jackson in 3 1/2 years has only 9 and is a first team all SEC safety. If that is your bench mark for AVERAGE then you are living in a fantasy land. And at no point did I ever say Coman was average. Just your idea of what is considered average is out of line.

Coman was one half of 1A/1B as a sophomore. INT's are still an unreliable metric when judging DB's. For example Eugene Robinson and Everson Walls had more INT's than Deion Sanders. I don't know anyone that would say that Walls or Robinson are better than Prime Time though.

Really Clark?
10-14-2016, 06:01 PM
Or put on an ark for 40 days and 40 nights.

Ha. Great idea

Really Clark?
10-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Coman was one half of 1A/1B as a sophomore. INT's are still an unreliable metric when judging DB's. For example Eugene Robinson and Everson Walls had more INT's than Deion Sanders. I don't know anyone that would say that Walls or Robinson are better than Prime Time though.

Oh I agree. INT's is not the end all be all by any stretch. Just the idea that an average SEC safety should have similar numbers to guy who is a first team all SEC or in comparing to Coman has played significantly more snaps is out of line. And while Coman was part of the shared reps, he probably only saw 30-40% of the plays and never started. Jackson started every game since his Soph year and 4 games as a Fresh

TUSK
10-14-2016, 06:12 PM
=>5 picks in a year for a DB is skrate up killin' it... 3-4 is pretty good.

also, Minkah is a CB/Star, not a S.... Eddie Jackson played CB in years 1 & 2.... moved to S last year...

Really Clark?
10-14-2016, 06:34 PM

also, Minkah is a CB/Star, not a S.... Eddie Jackson played CB in years 1 & 2.... moved to S last year...

That's right. Forgot Jackson started at CB. Did he miss a game his Soph coming back from the ACL? Or was he back for the start of the season?

TUSK
10-14-2016, 06:39 PM
That's right. Forgot Jackson started at CB. Did he miss a game his Soph coming back from the ACL? Or was he back for the start of the season?

If memory serves me correct, he was hurt as a starting CB in his SO season, so they moved him to S his JR year because of the incoming CBs...

We were fortunate he didn't leave for the NFL (along with several other cats)....

I'd heard he'd lost a step, but I've yet to see evidence of that...

edit: Wiki says he started 10 of 11 GP in '14.... so he missed some time due to his injury....

Really Clark?
10-14-2016, 06:48 PM
If memory serves me correct, he was hurt as a starting CB in his SO season, so they moved him to S his JR year because of the incoming CBs...

We were fortunate he didn't leave for the NFL (along with several other cats)....

I'd heard he'd lost a step, but I've yet to see evidence of that...

edit: Wiki says he started 10 of 11 GP in '14.... so he missed some time due to his injury....

Thanks. I knew he had an injury or two. Really like his game though.

TUSK
10-14-2016, 06:55 PM
Thanks. I knew he had an injury or two. Really like his game though.

Next chance you get, ISO on #15 Ronnie Harrison, Safety... dude is the heaviest hitter we have (outside of Foster and Williams)...

Did you see him & Eddie Jackson "getting into it" on the sidelines vs USC?....

Really Clark?
10-14-2016, 06:59 PM
Next chance you get, ISO on #15 Ronnie Harrison, Safety... dude is the heaviest hitter we have (outside of Foster and Williams)...

Did you see him & Eddie Jackson "getting into it" on the sidelines vs USC?....

No. I didn't see that. I was back and worth that game.

bulldawg28
10-14-2016, 08:28 PM

So what about 4 interceptions in a 3 year span?