PDA

View Full Version : Bumphis comes to defense of Mullen

starkvegasdawg
10-13-2016, 10:15 AM
http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/Mississippi-State-Football-Be-careful-what-you-ask-for-with-Dan--48211846?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=161013_101216_Mississippi%20State%20B ulldogs&utm_content=Link

Problem is has the wrong reasons we are pissed at him.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Bump needing a job? Looks like he is jockeying for one.

blacklistedbully
10-13-2016, 10:50 AM
Yep...its not the W/L record. We could handle an occasional down year or two now. Rather it's the signs a lot of us have seen and continue to see that we feel certain are at least big contributors to our current morass...and they are things that appear to be "part of the package", meaning they will likely be with us as long as Dan is.

I agree that we could end up worse than we were at Dan's best. But we don't seem to get Dan's best anymore and haven't for quite a while. And even at his best, his obvious flaws...flaws he seems too stubborn to change, are significant enough that it creates a ceiling where we can be very good...but not take the next step up.

Those frustrated with him, and those wanting him gone probably don't think with a new coach we'll rise above where he took us in 2014...but do think we will continue to slide farther down if he stays, as a result of his aforementioned flaws combined with an apparent lack of fire he used to have when he viewed us as a golden opportunity.

ETA - I hope I'm wrong...I really do. I would love to have the old Mullen back, but one who makes adjustments, like letting his assistants, particularly DC do what they are paid to do. Become flexible enough to realize he has some things he needs to change in order to become a better coach, etc. Get rid of the dead-weight on our coaching staff, etc.

Gutter Cobreh
10-13-2016, 10:52 AM
http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/Mississippi-State-Football-Be-careful-what-you-ask-for-with-Dan--48211846?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=161013_101216_Mississippi%20State%20B ulldogs&utm_content=Link

Correct. The writer should have asked Bumphis if he sees the same "strain" and "relentless effort" from his coach today (even though he isn't as close to the program) as he saw when he was a freshman....

Nothing stays the same. Either you're improving or regressing...

dawgday166
10-13-2016, 10:57 AM
One thing Bump said that caught my eye. Mullen has helped win a NC and has a formula which is proven. So if it's proven why change it? Maybe Bump needs to ask Saban that question cause Saban changed his formula. Why? Cause the old one wasn't working as well as it had been.

Bear changed his formula too when he went to the Wishbone.

ETA: Actually Dan has changed his formula some. I don't believe he ran 160 lb running backs up the middle at FL - and they had a good OL.

QuadrupleOption
10-13-2016, 11:00 AM

I agree with him for the most part - I think Mullen's body of work here overall has been good.

But, recruiting has to improve (addressed with our most recent hires), our run game has to improve (we'll see), and our QBs have to develop properly (we'll see) in order for Mullen to keep his job.

I'm not pissed off at Mullen because I believe he can get us back to winning seasons given another year, but he's not going to do that if he doesn't get our house in order in February.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-13-2016, 11:03 AM
I noticed this too. If that formula aint cutting it by now, then change it.

TimberBeast
10-13-2016, 11:04 AM
That article reads like Mullen wrote it, and called to Bumphis to comment on it. Garbage.

Bothrops
10-13-2016, 11:06 AM
It's always them damn State fans fault..

dawg27
10-13-2016, 11:06 AM
I not wanting dan gone because of down year, it is because this is year 8 and we look like year 1. We have a sunbealt conference o line trying to play in the sec, we have the worst secondary that u can put on the field, he has had eight years to get a good qb and fitz is the best we got! He should have locked aj down 3 yrs ago, we lost him in our backyard to ole miss, and looks like we lost another good one to ole miss again.The 2017 class coming in is going to be in the 30s yet again.I know some may disagree but u have got to get talent to win

thf24
10-13-2016, 11:15 AM
One thing Bump said that caught my eye. Mullen has helped win a NC and has a formula which is proven. So if it's proven why change it? Maybe Bump needs to ask Saban that question cause Saban changed his formula. Why? Cause the old one wasn't working as well as it had been.

Bear changed his formula too when he went to the Wishbone.

ETA: Actually Dan has changed his formula some. I don't believe he ran 160 lb running backs up the middle at FL - and they had a good OL.

The flaw in his Florida formula that occurs when translated to us is that you have to work a whole lot harder to recruit. What's effectively lazy recruiting here is probably all he needed at Florida where elite talent practically falls into your lap. I think he's finally realized this over the past year, but it may be too little too late. The only ways he's going to sustain relative success if he stays here is to either ramp up recruiting efforts tremendously or learn how to be much more flexible with his system. You can't depend on a Dak coming along every three years, and you can't run a complex, rigid offensive system with the talent you get by default in Mississippi.

coastdoglover
10-13-2016, 11:41 AM
The flaw in his Florida formula that occurs when translated to us is that you have to work a whole lot harder to recruit. What's effectively lazy recruiting here is probably all he needed at Florida where elite talent practically falls into your lap. I think he's finally realized this over the past year, but it may be too little too late. The only ways he's going to sustain relative success if he stays here is to either ramp up recruiting efforts tremendously or learn how to be much more flexible with his system. You can't depend on a Dak coming along every three years, and you can't run a complex, rigid offensive system with the talent you get by default in Mississippi.

I actually think we do work hard at recruiting but we have several coaches who Mullen evidently won't replace who can't recruit and it shows in the play of their position coaching. Myles wouldn't replace Cameron and it cost him. Most MSU folks would not be upset if they saw a coach who was willing to change things to improve. That sums up this situation to a tee.

dawgday166
10-13-2016, 11:44 AM

Agreed. MSU will require a little more creativity than FL will due to what you're saying. A good example is the fact that the good teams have all seen the QB draw about a million times from 10 yds in - ha. My meaning here - try to mix it up a little better and do some cool OC things like create some new plays or variations of plays that aren't so predictable. I don't believe Bill Walsh ever stopped evolving his offense. Offense is not a "static" thing. And create/adapt based on the personnel you have on hand.

Political Hack
10-13-2016, 11:46 AM
I actually think we do work hard at recruiting but we have several coaches who Mullen evidently won't replace who can't recruit and it shows in the play of their position coaching. Myles wouldn't replace Cameron and it cost him. Most MSU folks would not be upset if they saw a coach who was willing to change things to improve. That sums up this situation to a tee.

That, the constant flirting with other jobs, getting himself a high profile agent, the locker room issues, etc... There's a lot wrong right now but it will either be corrected or water under the bridge come mid-December.

Johnson85
10-13-2016, 11:56 AM
I agree with him for the most part - I think Mullen's body of work here overall has been good.

But, recruiting has to improve (addressed with our most recent hires), our run game has to improve (we'll see), and our QBs have to develop properly (we'll see) in order for Mullen to keep his job.

I'm not pissed off at Mullen because I believe he can get us back to winning seasons given another year, but he's not going to do that if he doesn't get our house in order in February.

We are more than one year away from a winning season. Unless some other teams implode next year, I just don't see us getting to 7 wins. We are losing three starting OL from an already shitastic OL, so that's extremely unlikely to get better. We're losing our best receiver. We still apparently don't have a RB on the team taht is worth a damn. We're going to lose our best defensive player, but we could be better over all. Dan has put himself in a situation where he needs two years to get to where we can win more than 6 games. That's what sucks. He didn't just slip up. He threw away all the progress he had made.

Maroons
10-13-2016, 12:09 PM

Holy cow. Now we have fans questioning Mullen's development of QB's.

gtowndawg
10-13-2016, 12:47 PM
This isn't a scenario of a down year where you see inexperienced players that need some time. Most everyone I know is completely fine with that. But Mullen drove this thing right off the cliff. Come Thanksgiving, it will be unbearable.

https://media.giphy.com/media/KOEc8ca7DELmw/giphy.gif

I seen it dawg
10-13-2016, 12:52 PM
Well Chad...we aren't in Kansas anymore

dawgday166
10-13-2016, 12:58 PM
This isn't a scenario of a down year where you see inexperienced players that need some time. Most everyone I know is completely fine with that. But Mullen drove this thing right off the cliff. Come Thanksgiving, it will be unbearable.

Ha - ISWYDT.

smootness
10-13-2016, 01:08 PM
he has had eight years to get a good qb and fitz is the best we got!

:shaking head gif:

DanDority
10-13-2016, 01:14 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gtowndawg again.

MStateDawg
10-13-2016, 01:40 PM
Bump needing a job? Looks like he is jockeying for one.

He got a job this season, I assume with the help of a former coach: http://www.iwtigers.com/coach/0/5.php

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Bump needing a BETTER job? Looks like he is jockeying for one.

Ok I fixed it.

QuadrupleOption
10-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Holy cow. Now we have fans questioning Mullen's development of QB's.

Absolutely. Fitz isn't very good right now. He could certainly get a lot better, and Dan's history with QBs indicates that he will, but we will have to wait and see what the results are.

Jarius
10-13-2016, 01:48 PM
If this team played as hard as the 09 and 10 teams did and he coached with as much effort as he did back then I wouldn't have an issue with Mullen. The reason that it is time for him to leave is because he isn't demanding and receiving the amount of effort out of his players that it takes to win.

RougeDawg
10-13-2016, 08:30 PM
We are more than one year away from a winning season. Unless some other teams implode next year, I just don't see us getting to 7 wins. We are losing three starting OL from an already shitastic OL, so that's extremely unlikely to get better. We're losing our best receiver. We still apparently don't have a RB on the team taht is worth a damn. We're going to lose our best defensive player, but we could be better over all. Dan has put himself in a situation where he needs two years to get to where we can win more than 6 games. That's what sucks. He didn't just slip up. He threw away all the progress he had made.

We have a few RB's worth a damn. But there is one glaring issue with all of them. They have an upperclassman RB on the team.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
10-13-2016, 09:06 PM
Yep...its not the W/L record. We could handle an occasional down year or two now. Rather it's the signs a lot of us have seen and continue to see that we feel certain are at least big contributors to our current morass...and they are things that appear to be "part of the package", meaning they will likely be with us as long as Dan is.

I agree that we could end up worse than we were at Dan's best. But we don't seem to get Dan's best anymore and haven't for quite a while. And even at his best, his obvious flaws...flaws he seems too stubborn to change, are significant enough that it creates a ceiling where we can be very good...but not take the next step up.

Those frustrated with him, and those wanting him gone probably don't think with a new coach we'll rise above where he took us in 2014...but do think we will continue to slide farther down if he stays, as a result of his aforementioned flaws combined with an apparent lack of fire he used to have when he viewed us as a golden opportunity.

ETA - I hope I'm wrong...I really do. I would love to have the old Mullen back, but one who makes adjustments, like letting his assistants, particularly DC do what they are paid to do. Become flexible enough to realize he has some things he needs to change in order to become a better coach, etc. Get rid of the dead-weight on our coaching staff, etc.

Got to spread some around before giving it

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
10-13-2016, 09:11 PM
It's always them damn State fans fault..**

FIFY

RougeDawg
10-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Hey chad, STFU. The team that put on maroon last Saturday couldn't fight their way out of wet paper bags.