PDA

View Full Version : But Why would the C-L be so hostile towards MSU?

Schultzy
10-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Bonner didn't get his info from or attempt to contact the person doing the hiring (Keenum).
If he had two sources that doesn't make them credible so it then falls to internet rumor status.

Also, he knows it will undermine the process as a whole and put people in bad positions (Keenum, all potential interviewees, Cohen, his baseball commits and their families).

MSU is a wonderful institution that does great things for the state of Mississippi and our nation as a whole in many different areas. All of this to break a story about the next AD which may or may not be true?! It's not a scandal he's breaking here.

So why the open hostility for a state university? Why do they go out on a limb to be so disrespectful to an otherwise positive entity for our state?

Taog Redloh
10-13-2016, 09:54 AM
1 - We are an easy target
2 - Media is heavily influenced by Ole Miss graduates
3 - Modern day journalists are only looking out for themselves

Mjoelner34
10-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Bonner didn't get his info from or attempt to contact the person doing the hiring (Keenum).
If he had two sources that doesn't make them credible so it then falls to internet rumor status.

Also, he knows it will undermine the process as a whole and put people in bad positions (Keenum, all potential interviewees, Cohen, his baseball commits and their families).

MSU is a wonderful institution that does great things for the state of Mississippi and our nation as a whole in many different areas. All of this to break a story about the next AD which may or may not be true?! It's not a scandal he's breaking here.

So why the open hostility for a state university? Why do they go out on a limb to be so disrespectful to an otherwise positive entity for our state?

And, why do we continue to allow them the access to do so?

msstate7
10-13-2016, 10:04 AM
3 - Modern day journalists are only looking out for Hillary Clinton

Fify

1bigdawg
10-13-2016, 10:30 AM
Nobody is talking about Bonner's sources and their motivation. They had to have leaked this to
1) Promote the Cohen candidacy or
2) Make the possibility of Cohen more public to try to kill the candidacy, or
3) Ingratiate themselves with Bonner for help in the future,or
4) Make themselves feel like they are big insiders.

M.Fillmore
10-13-2016, 10:41 AM
If the CL writers and executives were smart they would be cheerleaders for all the schools in MS. Why alienate large segments of your customers? They should be writing puff pieces for each school. Instead, they align themselves with the bears and MSU/USM/Swac readers drop their subscriptions and the CL continues to lay off employees. This leads to fewer articles, more wire service stuff that everyone read the day before on the internet, which results is deeper irrelevancy for the CL.

The CL has a death wish, and they are succeeding.

LC Dawg
10-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Bonner, and most beat writers, want to have their name mentioned as often as possible because they are looking for a better job. They don't care what gets their name mentioned they just want it mentioned.
It we pull his credentials it will probably make him some sort of cult hero in the media world and get him a better job but it will hurt the C-L because even less people will read their shit paper. That's how stupid the management at the C-L is.

Maroons
10-13-2016, 12:13 PM
Nobody is talking about Bonner's sources and their motivation. They had to have leaked this to
1) Promote the Cohen candidacy or
2) Make the possibility of Cohen more public to try to kill the candidacy, or
3) Ingratiate themselves with Bonner for help in the future,or
4) Make themselves feel like they are big insiders.

This. Bottom line is that we have some people in/around the department who ran their big mouths before we were ready to make the announcement.

The CL has been horrible in the past, but this screwup is on us, not Bonner.

maroonmania
10-13-2016, 12:20 PM
This. Bottom line is that we have some people in/around the department who ran their big mouths before we were ready to make the announcement.

The CL has been horrible in the past, but this screwup is on us, not Bonner.

Seems like the whole fiasco could have been avoided had the CL, even with the back channel information, worded things differently. If they had just said that "sources" indicate that Cohen is the leading candidate to get the MSU AD job then it wouldn't have been a big deal. To be honest I don't see how a newspaper can come out and say someone IS to be named AD if the university itself doesn't confirm it. Nobody is named AD, or any other position, until they are actually named.

msbulldog
10-13-2016, 12:41 PM

Tradition, the CL was owned by the Hedermans before it was bought by Gannett. The Hedermans were huge Mississippi supporters and MSU has been getting bad Pub forever.

Dawg61
10-13-2016, 01:03 PM
MSU puts almost zero grads in journalism/media jobs. We know its a problem and still we do nothing about it. Looking at you Keenum.

Bodaski
10-13-2016, 01:46 PM
I guess I'm one of those that believes in the OM conspiracy with the CL to hurt us at every chance they get. If you read 90% of the articles the CL writes there is always a negative slant imbedded in the article. With all the rumors and accusations with OM and the NCAA going on currently, how many articles have you read that is negative towards the Bears? By Bonner doing what he did, whether you think so or not the article had a negative impact on our AD search. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this was not orchestrated from some up north and arranged a leak to have a negative effect on our search. They know they are in deep shit and to make sure we aren't going to gain ground while they are down, it just fits their mo. I know it's a stretch, but I also remember what lengths those bastards went to bring JWS and us down after going to Atlanta. I knew when Mullen beat them 4 times in a row I knew they were going all in. Aka, Freeze and here we are at present. They sold out and they want to take us down with them.

Political Hack
10-13-2016, 02:00 PM
The Clarion Ledger was trying to beat Elitedawgs to the scoop. They've failed again. Lol.

We actually were told that morning that it was Cohen too. But we didn't run with it because it wasn't verified... And we're just a social media site. However, the state newspaper ran with it. Think about the lapse of judgement there. We, as a rumor mongering message board, didn't post it but they ran with it. Absolute rookies.

Taog Redloh
10-13-2016, 02:05 PM
We actually were told that morning that it was Cohen too.
Ummm.....

Don't make me do a search. Not talking to you, per se, but RP and other mods....yeah....they didn't say Cohen. I recall a bunch of "Cohen will not be the AD" etc posts, probably all deleted by now.

I know info changes, but coming out and saying you guys called it.....bad look.

Good reading: http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?48643-Bo-Bounds-say-our-AD-Job-Is-Highly-Sought-After&p=622095#post622095

Cohen is not going to be AD

Political Hack
10-13-2016, 02:10 PM
Ummm.....

Don't make me do a search. Not talking to you, per se, but RP and other mods....yeah....they didn't say Cohen. I recall a bunch of "Cohen will not be the AD" etc posts, probably all deleted by now.

I know info changes, but coming out and saying you guys called it.....bad look.

Didn't say we called it. You need to read more carefully. I said we didn't repeat it even when we were told that. I've held since the start that the hire is likely to be an outside guy. That's what I was told at the beginning of the search and still think that's likely where we end up. However, Cohen does have some guys pushing hard for him that help pay the bills. Everyone knows where the source came from with Bonner and people inside the administration aren't happy about it.

You trying to argue about whether it's been called or not is moronic. A decision has not been made. I don't get how you can't process that. Here's another nugget... My last post said we were smart enough NOT to call it despite being a board where rumors are encouraged. The CL failed there. Almost as badly as your reading comprehension has failed you.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-13-2016, 02:21 PM
MSU puts almost zero grads in journalism/media jobs. We know its a problem and still we do nothing about it. Looking at you Keenum.

They are low paying jobs in a dying industry. Why should the university encourage people to do it?

notsofarawaydawg
10-13-2016, 05:17 PM
I guess I'm one of those that believes in the OM conspiracy with the CL to hurt us at every chance they get. If you read 90% of the articles the CL writes there is always a negative slant imbedded in the article. With all the rumors and accusations with OM and the NCAA going on currently, how many articles have you read that is negative towards the Bears? By Bonner doing what he did, whether you think so or not the article had a negative impact on our AD search. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this was not orchestrated from some up north and arranged a leak to have a negative effect on our search. They know they are in deep shit and to make sure we aren't going to gain ground while they are down, it just fits their mo. I know it's a stretch, but I also remember what lengths those bastards went to bring JWS and us down after going to Atlanta. I knew when Mullen beat them 4 times in a row I knew they were going all in. Aka, Freeze and here we are at present. They sold out and they want to take us down with them.

Those are not rumors and accusations. UNM has admitted doing a lot of those things in the NOA. Still no articles by the Gay Ledger even with the facts sitting on their desks. It's going to be lovely when they do get ****ed raw.

RocketDawg
10-13-2016, 05:43 PM

Did MSU ever have a Journalism department? I seem to remember back in the dark ages (1965-70) some of my acquaintances were Journalism majors.