PDA

View Full Version : Was it Bonner

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-12-2016, 11:07 PM
who broke the news on Tony Hughes leaving and going to JSU? Remember that got out before we wanted it to also.

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2016, 11:56 PM
It's not Bonner's job to report news when we want it reported. It's Bonner's job to break news & make the CL money.

I'm not sure why no one gets this. The CL requires two sources to report a story, & I have no doubt that Bonner had two sources & is/was probably correct.

This lies on MSU for having a leak & that's the bottom line. Keenum may just have to eat egg with this one. It's not worth finding a new AD instead of Cohen just to prove the CL wrong. What Keenum should have said today was that the story was premature & that interviews were still taking place. Not sure why Keenum painted himself & Cohen into a corner

gravedigger
10-13-2016, 01:04 AM
It's not Bonner's job to report news when we want it reported. It's Bonner's job to break news & make the CL money.

I'm not sure why no one gets this. The CL requires two sources to report a story, & I have no doubt that Bonner had two sources & is/was probably correct.

This lies on MSU for having a leak & that's the bottom line. Keenum may just have to eat egg with this one. It's not worth finding a new AD instead of Cohen just to prove the CL wrong. What Keenum should have said today was that the story was premature & that interviews were still taking place. Not sure why Keenum painted himself & Cohen into a corner

perhaps, and I'm just thinking out loud here, what happened was intentional, by us.

Think about it. We all know the CL has been nothing more than a sounding board for one group. It was PROVEN during the bs that followed our winning the conference in Baseball and then again in their failure to keep up with the investigation prior to the NOA coming out for OM since the fiasco on draft night. SO.......

Someone decided to leak something that sounded good but that could EASILY be proven incorrect to them to see if they'd do the right thing and corroborate the source. And just as expected they did not. Like lightening Sid Salter and Keenum are speaking to the media how freaking dumb the idea that a school WHO ANNOUNCED A NATIONAL SEARCH would up and circumvent that by hiring Cohen without so much as an interview process.

think about that and how positions at state funded universities are filled. There is a minimal process for each one. It requires announcing the opening, qualifications, and often the closing date. The university, no matter who or when they decided on, has to APPEAR as if they are going through the process. EVERYONE with any experience dealing with a university knows this. But the print media and insatiable for the scoop as they almost never get a chance at it in the age of social media to get the story first.

So someone feeds them this and it sounds good to the CL for a couple of reasons:

Many State fans will not like the prospect of losing a successful baseball coach after losing one just one year ago suddenly.
Many State fans will not like the prospect of MSU choosing so quickly such and important position.
Many State fans will DESPISE the fact that the CL is the one that broke the story and feel it legitimizes them.

The CL cannot afford to wait on confirmation, so they jump on it. But wait.......within 2 hours Sid Salter and Mark Keenum are literally making jokes on the radio about the details of WHY it was stupid to print this.

The CL got smoked like a cheap cigar and Keenum seemed to be telling them that this is what happens when you don't call him first.

Bet they think twice next time.

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-13-2016, 04:57 AM

That was my point...we have a mole someplace that would rather feed Bonner info instead of waiting like our athletic dept wants. I think that is where a lot of Keenum's anger is coming from.

ShotgunDawg
10-13-2016, 07:50 AM
perhaps, and I'm just thinking out loud here, what happened was intentional, by us.

Think about it. We all know the CL has been nothing more than a sounding board for one group. It was PROVEN during the bs that followed our winning the conference in Baseball and then again in their failure to keep up with the investigation prior to the NOA coming out for OM since the fiasco on draft night. SO.......

Someone decided to leak something that sounded good but that could EASILY be proven incorrect to them to see if they'd do the right thing and corroborate the source. And just as expected they did not. Like lightening Sid Salter and Keenum are speaking to the media how freaking dumb the idea that a school WHO ANNOUNCED A NATIONAL SEARCH would up and circumvent that by hiring Cohen without so much as an interview process.

think about that and how positions at state funded universities are filled. There is a minimal process for each one. It requires announcing the opening, qualifications, and often the closing date. The university, no matter who or when they decided on, has to APPEAR as if they are going through the process. EVERYONE with any experience dealing with a university knows this. But the print media and insatiable for the scoop as they almost never get a chance at it in the age of social media to get the story first.

So someone feeds them this and it sounds good to the CL for a couple of reasons:

Many State fans will not like the prospect of losing a successful baseball coach after losing one just one year ago suddenly.
Many State fans will not like the prospect of MSU choosing so quickly such and important position.
Many State fans will DESPISE the fact that the CL is the one that broke the story and feel it legitimizes them.

The CL cannot afford to wait on confirmation, so they jump on it. But wait.......within 2 hours Sid Salter and Mark Keenum are literally making jokes on the radio about the details of WHY it was stupid to print this.

The CL got smoked like a cheap cigar and Keenum seemed to be telling them that this is what happens when you don't call him first.

I get your points, but I don't think Keenum would purposefully hang Cohen out to dry like this. If any one person has been hurt by yesterday's events, it's Cohen.

mic
10-13-2016, 07:59 AM
Once again for everyone in the cheap seats

**** BONNER....

Liverpooldawg
10-13-2016, 08:15 AM

Who are the two sources here? The guy that sweeps up the Bryan building and Keenum's yard man? Everybody can find two sources for anything. The quality of those sources is what matters. If this turns out to be true then we have at least two people who should be unemployed. If it turns out not to be true then several heads need to roll at the CL. We all know that won't happen though. That only happens when it's UM that is on the receiving end of it. If it's a case if Bonner receiving "off the record" info and then printing it anyway, guess what Mr. Bonner, you just blew your sources over an AD hired away from a non-rev sport at his own school.

Liverpooldawg
10-13-2016, 08:17 AM
I get your points, but I don't think Keenum would purposefully hang Cohen out to dry like this. If any one person has been hurt by yesterday's events, it's Cohen.

Agree. Keenum and the official decision making people wouldn't do this. Now someonelse in the department with their own agenda might.

WSOPdawg
10-13-2016, 08:50 AM

Someone decided to leak something that sounded good but that could EASILY be proven incorrect to them to see if they'd do the right thing and corroborate the source. And just as expected they did not.

Interesting, maybe this was a big smoke screen to allow loose lips to out themselves. Haven't looked at it from this angle.

ShotgunDawg
10-13-2016, 09:08 AM
Who are the two sources here? The guy that sweeps up the Bryan building and Keenum's yard man? Everybody can find two sources for anything. The quality of those sources is what matters. If this turns out to be true then we have at least two people who should be unemployed. If it turns out not to be true then several heads need to roll at the CL. We all know that won't happen though. That only happens when it's UM that is on the receiving end of it. If it's a case if Bonner receiving "off the record" info and then printing it anyway, guess what Mr. Bonner, you just blew your sources over an AD hired away from a non-rev sport at his own school.

I just don't understand why you don't believe that Bonner didn't have two sources. l

Liverpooldawg
10-13-2016, 09:49 AM
I just don't understand why you don't believe that Bonner didn't have two sources. l

That wasn't what I said. I'm sure he did. Who were they? They may have been good ones or they may not have been. We will eventually find out.

Jarius
10-13-2016, 09:52 AM
What is everyone going to say if Bonner was right? If he was right, we have the worst PR team of all time and heads need to roll.

Liverpooldawg
10-13-2016, 10:22 AM
What is everyone going to say if Bonner was right? If he was right, we have the worst PR team of all time and heads need to roll.

In that situation the PR team, unless they are the leak, hasn't really done anything wrong. If it is true then you are correct, some heads need to roll.

My guess is it's one of two things: 1) somebody talked "off the record" and Bonner went public with it without their permission. 2) somebody either in the athletic department or with close ties (booster) to it but not really in the decision making chain is trying to influence the hire. The funny thing is you can make a case for somebody pro-Cohen or somebody anti-Cohen here. If that's the case somebody took a gamble in the hopes it would work the way they wanted. Neither of those cases is good but 2 is far worse from our perspective.

scottycameron
10-13-2016, 10:51 AM
In that situation the PR team, unless they are the leak, hasn't really done anything wrong. If it is true then you are correct, some heads need to roll.

My guess is it's one of two things: 1) somebody talked "off the record" and Bonner went public with it without their permission. 2) somebody either in the athletic department or with close ties (booster) to it but not really in the decision making chain is trying to influence the hire. The funny thing is you can make a case for somebody pro-Cohen or somebody anti-Cohen here. If that's the case somebody took a gamble in the hopes it would work the way they wanted. Neither of those cases is good but 2 is far worse from our perspective.

You are 0 for 2. This ain't that hard.

preachermatt83
10-13-2016, 11:27 AM

Unless Cohen doesn't want nor has applied for the job.