PDA

View Full Version : Ok Basball fans. MSSTATE 7 this include you

parabrave
10-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Do you think Big Popi ( David Ortiz) gets a 1st ballot HOF induction even with the PEDS innuendo. I say yes the media and most all fans even Yankees love him. What do you say.

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 07:58 PM
I think he's a hall of famer but being a career DH and PED user keeps hm off of the first ballot.

msbulldog
10-12-2016, 08:00 PM
If Popi gets it, what about Raffy?

msstate7
10-12-2016, 08:01 PM
2,472 hits
541 hr
1,768 RBI
.931 ops for career

I like his numbers, but dh will hurt him. I say no.

Commercecomet24
10-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Yeah he's first ballot. The media in the the Northeast, and especially in Boston has tremendous influence on the Hall of Fame ballots, so i think he gets in first ballot.

Tbonewannabe
10-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Yes, he is pretty much one of the top baseball ambassadors of Latino baseball. I don't know anyone that dislikes the guy.

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 08:03 PM

Both should be HOF players in my opinion.

WSOPdawg
10-12-2016, 08:06 PM
I'm thinking he's a 1st-ballot HOF as he will be the face of the Red Sox resurgence this century surpassing Pedro and Manny Ramirez.

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Yes, he is pretty much one of the top baseball ambassadors of Latino baseball. I don't know anyone that dislikes the guy.

As a Cardinals fan I disliked how we pitched to him.

parabrave
10-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Difference between him and Raffy is media loves him and he never pointed his finger at anybody.

mcain31
10-12-2016, 08:14 PM
He won't be due to the alleged PED test. He was always clutch in the post season.

msstate7
10-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Ortiz in 20 years...
2,472 hits
541 hr
1,768 RBI

Jeff bagwell in 15 years...
2,314 hits
449 hr
1,529 RBI
.948 ops

Fred mcgriff in 19 years...
2,490 hits
493 hr
1,550 RBI
.886 ops

Bagwell and mcgriff were both position players that haven't made it yet.

WAR for the 3...
Mcgriff -- 52.4
Bagwell -- 79.6
Ortiz -- 55.4

If bagwell didn't make it, Ortiz has no business getting in 1st ballot

Commercecomet24
10-12-2016, 08:23 PM
Ortiz in 20 years...
2,472 hits
541 hr
1,768 RBI

Jeff bagwell in 15 years...
2,314 hits
449 hr
1,529 RBI
.948 ops

Fred mcgriff in 19 years...
2,490 hits
493 hr
1,550 RBI
.886 ops

Bagwell and mcgriff were both position players that haven't made it yet.

WAR for the 3...
Mcgriff -- 52.4
Bagwell -- 79.6
Ortiz -- 55.4

If bagwell didn't make it, Ortiz has no business getting in 1st ballot

I absolutely agree he shouldn't get in the first ballot but with the influence the Northeast Baseball writers have I see him getting enough votes and the Red Sox organization will definitely put out a huge campaign for him when the time comes.I think Bagwell and Mcgriff should both be in, but thats just me. I've met both Bagwell and Mcgriff and they are both extremely fan friendly, not that that makes a difference on their HOF candidacy. Personally I think Edgar Martinez should be the first mostly DH to get in. That guy could rake.

BrunswickDawg
10-12-2016, 08:26 PM
I absolutely agree he shouldn't get in the first ballot but with the influence the Northeast Baseball writers have I see him getting enough votes and the Red Sox organization will definitely put out a huge campaign for him when the time comes.I think Bagwell and Mcgriff should both be in, but thats just me. I've met both Bagwell and Mcgriff and they are both extremely fan friendly, not that that makes a difference on their HOF candidacy. Personally I think Edgar Martinez should be the first mostly DH to get in. That guy could rake.
Yankee/Red Sox bias and his ridiculous performances in the clutch make it a no brainer. He gets in and it ain't even close.

Commercecomet24
10-12-2016, 08:29 PM
Yankee/Red Sox bias and his ridiculous performances in the clutch make it a no brainer. He gets in and it ain't even close.

That's how i see it too. Watch baseball tonight sometime(I quit watching it and watch mlb network now) the whole show is Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers. The media influence for baseball from the Northeast is extremely powerful.

smootness
10-12-2016, 08:58 PM
He won't get in.

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 09:03 PM
That's how i see it too. Watch baseball tonight sometime(I quit watching it and watch mlb network now) the whole show is Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers. The media influence for baseball from the Northeast is extremely powerful.

That's the same reason why I watch MLB Network. I'm sure ESPN is all about the Cubs right now though.

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 09:04 PM

You are right about Northeast media bias. If you don't play for one of those teams or the Dodgers or Cubs you might as well not exist.

Commercecomet24
10-12-2016, 09:28 PM
You are right about Northeast media bias. If you don't play for one of those teams or the Dodgers or Cubs you might as well not exist.

You know it, Todd! That bias goes back to when they were still riding trains. Only been increased with the 24/7 media coverage. I got so sick of turning on baseball tonight and just seeing 60 seconds or so on the braves(and that's when they were winning). 45 minutes of Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs and 15 minutes for the rest. MLB has even coverage and much better analysis. Gotta say fs1 is doing pretty good job too!

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 09:41 PM
You know it, Todd! That bias goes back to when they were still riding trains. Only been increased with the 24/7 media coverage. I got so sick of turning on baseball tonight and just seeing 60 seconds or so on the braves(and that's when they were winning). 45 minutes of Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs and 15 minutes for the rest. MLB has even coverage and much better analysis. Gotta say fs1 is doing pretty good job too!

ESPN was at it's worst when they had Kruk and Schilling. It was like they just wanted them to say something stupid and opinionated and not based on actual baseball discussion.

I like how MLB Network uses the local announcers when they cut to highlights and in game action durinh MLB Tonight. It gives fans a chance to hear announcers like Vin Scully and all of the other great baseball announcers across the country.

Commercecomet24
10-12-2016, 10:06 PM
ESPN was at it's worst when they had Kruk and Schilling. It was like they just wanted them to say something stupid and opinionated and not based on actual baseball discussion.

I like how MLB Network uses the local announcers when they cut to highlights and in game action durinh MLB Tonight. It gives fans a chance to hear announcers like Vin Scully and all of the other great baseball announcers across the country.

100% agree! We lived in Arizona for 7 years when i was growing up in the '70s. It was obviously in the days before sports coverage 24/7 and I used to listen to Vin Scully on the radio doing Dodger games every night, much simpler, much more enjoyable times. The voice of baseball. Got to say I got a little misty when he retired.

Homedawg
10-12-2016, 11:26 PM

Big poppy never wagged his finger....

JohnnyQuid
10-13-2016, 12:01 AM
he will get in and while he shouldn't be 1st ballot it wouldn't shock me. icon for one of the historically elite teams - I'm a red Sox fan so my view is clouded but he deserves to be there

eta : so does Raffy but I feel like he was never appreciated as much and he should be and got caught lying on the largest scale

smootness
10-13-2016, 07:24 AM
There is no way Ortiz is getting in unless they're ready to start putting in the Bonds/Clemens group, and they're not going to do that. So Ortiz is not getting in.

msstate7
10-13-2016, 07:28 AM
There is no way Ortiz is getting in unless they're ready to start putting in the Bonds/Clemens group, and they're not going to do that. So Ortiz is not getting in.

Just forget the PED/steroid issue... do you think he's deserving when bagwell wasn't?

smootness
10-13-2016, 08:29 AM
NM

smootness
10-13-2016, 08:32 AM
Just forget the PED/steroid issue... do you think he's deserving when bagwell wasn't?

No. But the reason Bagwell isn't in can at least partially be explained by the fact that most think he was on something.

The better comparison is Edgar Martinez, and Ortiz is not as deserving as Martinez, either.