PDA

View Full Version : SEC network is running with the Bonner story.

Thick
10-12-2016, 07:23 PM
It's on the ticker at the bottom of the Auburn vs Georgia VB match.

msbulldog
10-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Another lack of professional journalism, hell I see possible legal action.

bobtail bob
10-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Doesn't matter. The damage is already done. This is the kind of shit that,if you're serious about what you say, there has to be repercussions for. But i have a feeling nothing will be done yet again,bend over and take it....

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Doesn't matter. The damage is already done. This is the kind of shit that,if you're serious about what you say, there has to be repercussions for. But i have a feeling nothing will be done yet again,bend over and take it....

With the way MSU is reacting I don't think that will be the case. You have Keenum and Sid Salter pretty much calling out the Clarion-Ledger publicly.

Dallas_Dawg
10-12-2016, 07:33 PM
It could very well be the Cohen is going to get the job, and it was simply leaked too early.
That's what it seems like to me. Only time will tell

MafiaDawg
10-12-2016, 07:46 PM
Even if it was 95% chance we offer it to Cohen, we still don't want some reporter writing a story without asking for quotes from the decision makers. It can completely impede the rest of the search process. What if Cohen has a change of heart?

Outside Dawg
10-12-2016, 07:47 PM
It could very well be the Cohen is going to get the job, and it was simply leaked too early.
That's what it seems like to me. Only time will tell

That's what it seems like. Cohen may in fact be a sure thing and Bonner just let it out earlier than they wanted. Somebody is obviously way wrong, but Bonner is sticking with it and ESPN/SECN is running with it. If we name Cohen in the next several days, I'm gonna just assume Bonner was right. If that's the case, our fanbase can bitch and moan, but Bonner did his job. If it's not Cohen or at least some verification that the process is still truly going on, then we are right to blast Bonner and the CL like we all want. I'll wait to see what happens.

msbulldog
10-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Even if it was 95% chance we offer it to Cohen, we still don't want some reporter writing a story without asking for quotes from the decision makers. It can completely impede the rest of the search process. What if Cohen has a change of heart?

^^^^tell it^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ REP!

msbulldog
10-12-2016, 07:52 PM
Pull their credentials, Mississippi did it and it cost Riley Blevins his job.

msbulldog
10-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Pull their credentials, they'll get it straight! Hell Mississippi die it and they fired Riley Blevins and began to softball those sob's. Time for us to nut up.

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 08:01 PM
That's what it seems like. Cohen may in fact be a sure thing and Bonner just let it out earlier than they wanted. Somebody is obviously way wrong, but Bonner is sticking with it and ESPN/SECN is running with it. If we name Cohen in the next several days, I'm gonna just assume Bonner was right. If that's the case, our fanbase can bitch and moan, but Bonner did his job. If it's not Cohen or at least some verification that the process is still truly going on, then we are right to blast Bonner and the CL like we all want. I'll wait to see what happens.

But he did his job unethically and right or wrong Bonner should be blasted for that. His actions made it unfair to Cohen, Keenum, MSU, and others that are interviewing. If there are others actually interviewing.

Thick
10-12-2016, 08:09 PM
^^^^This^^^^

Commercecomet24
10-12-2016, 08:09 PM
But he did his job unethically and right or wrong Bonner should be blasted for that. His actions made it unfair to Cohen, Keenum, MSU, and others that are interviewing. If there are others actually interviewing.

Exactly! What he did was wrong and he knows it. No verification from anyone in the Administration and who knows where he even got his info. The only reason he wouldn't call the the University Admin to verify was he knew it wouldn't be verified and he couldn't get his 15 minutes of fame so he just said WTH I don't like MSU anyway I'll go ahead and run with it. Screw bonnet and the rag he works for! Some things you just don't do because you're a human being and should have at least a little common courtesy and respect for others. What he did was just WRONG!

Thick
10-12-2016, 08:11 PM
It's just complete disrespect of the process, MSU, and all of the candidates. Plain and simple!

Commercecomet24
10-12-2016, 08:14 PM
It's just complete disrespect of the process, MSU, and all of the candidates. Plain and simple!

Absolutely and he needs to be slammed for it! I say ban his sorry butt from the athletic department.

LC Dawg
10-12-2016, 08:24 PM
If Cohen gets the job Keenum should tell him to announce that he is pulling the C-L's credentials at the press conference to announce the hiring.

Tripp McNeely
10-12-2016, 08:36 PM

It's gotten a little silly...but what real "damage" has been done? Why is it such a story on message boards, the timing of reports, who jumped the gun, etc.? Who cares? Why do we give a shit if Bonner jumped the gun or not?

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 08:36 PM
If Cohen gets the job Keenum should tell him to announce that he is pulling the C-L's credentials at the press conference to announce the hiring.

He should do that regardless if he hires Cohen or Ronald McDonald.

weblow
10-12-2016, 08:40 PM
So I will say this and obviously everyone so far disagrees with me.

First, I hate the Clarion Ledger with a red hot passion. I think from top to bottom they are a disgrace to print media.

BUT, I think y'all are all missing the point. Bonner, who I think is worthless, actually did his job. My guess is he never would have published without having two high level sources. As for those saying he didn't get confirmation from the school....wake the hell up. Do you think that if he went to Keenum and asked him to confirm that Keenum actually would have? Hell no. He would have said the process is still ongoing and we refuse to comment at this time.

Bonner did exactly what we have all been begging to take place in Oxford, he has two sources and is actually doing his job and not just repeating the load of crap the school feeds him.

I hate to defend him and he may very well be wrong but he is actually being a journalist.........something that is entirely lacking from every page of the CL.

Not saying I like it or agree with him but there is a lot of bitching here for him doing what we have been begging to take place for in oxford.

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 08:41 PM
It's gotten a little silly...but what real "damage" has been done? Why is it such a story on message boards, the timing of reports, who jumped the gun, etc.? Who cares? Why do we give a shit if Bonner jumped the gun or not?

See my post above. What if Keenum really is trying to find someone outside of the MSU family? Bonner's reports make it look like Cohen is a done deal, and that scares off potentially good candidates while at the same time potentially weakening our baseball program unnecessarily. On the other hand, what if it really is Cohen? Well, MSU did say that they would do a National search and by promoting Cohen halfway in and breaking it this soon into the process will make our fans and alumni potentially question Keenum and his staff and their sincerity. And if that weakens MSU baseball in the process, then that's even worse at it would all fall at Keenum's feet for not doing a thorough search.

Either way, I see MSU as getting hurt in this process because of this leak.

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 08:44 PM

First, I hate the Clarion Ledger with a red hot passion. I think from top to bottom they are a disgrace to print media.

BUT, I think y'all are all missing the point. Bonner, who I think is worthless, actually did his job. My guess is he never would have published without having two high level sources. As for those saying he didn't get confirmation from the school....wake the hell up. Do you think that if he went to Keenum and asked him to confirm that Keenum actually would have? Hell no. He would have said the process is still ongoing and we refuse to comment at this time.

Bonner did exactly what we have all been begging to take place in Oxford, he has two sources and is actually doing his job and not just repeating the load of crap the school feeds him.

I hate to defend him and he may very well be wrong but he is actually being a journalist.........something that is entirely lacking from every page of the CL.

Not saying I like it or agree with him but there is a lot of bitching here for him doing what we have been begging to take place for in oxford.

But he didn't go through the proper channels. Unless you think Keenum, Sid Salter, and MSU are lying. And of the things that I think are going on, I highly doubt that is the case.

LC Dawg
10-12-2016, 08:44 PM

I agree but if it's Cohen I would like it to be his first official duty. Or I guess I would like it to be the first official duty of whoever is hired. Announce that the press conference will start as soon as all representatives of the C-L leave the room.

ScottH
10-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Taken from another board...

In conjunction with Dr. Keenum's statement this got me thinking so just for fun I called a friend that was a 20 year newspaper guy (including Gannett) but has moved to greener pastures to help clear this up.

If Bonner's source really wasn't Administrative as Dr. Keenum said, it had to be Athletics. This story won't publish on a booster's word alone as David Murray insinuated.

Fault Bonner all you want but there are only a handful of Athletic sources that he wouldn't have had to corroborate their word and run with.

Scholarly folks can create a Venn diagram of:

1;Parties involved in the campaign to get Coach Cohen the AD job
2:Sources prominent enough Bonner can take at face value and publish

BulldogBear
10-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Absolutely and he needs to be slammed for it! I say ban his sorry butt from the athletic department.

This^

This^

And of course, this^

See my post above. What if Keenum really is trying to find someone outside of the MSU family? Bonner's reports make it look like Cohen is a done deal, and that scares off potentially good candidates while at the same time potentially weakening our baseball program unnecessarily. On the other hand, what if it really is Cohen? Well, MSU did say that they would do a National search and by promoting Cohen halfway in and breaking it this soon into the process will make our fans and alumni potentially question Keenum and his staff and their sincerity. And if that weakens MSU baseball in the process, then that's even worse at it would all fall at Keenum's feet for not doing a thorough search.

Either way, I see MSU as getting hurt in this process because of this leak.

Yep

Part if the POINT is that Oxford is not getting the same treatment. So, forgive me if I don't give a flip whether he could have or not. Ethically, he should not have.

confucius say
10-12-2016, 09:43 PM

In conjunction with Dr. Keenum's statement this got me thinking so just for fun I called a friend that was a 20 year newspaper guy (including Gannett) but has moved to greener pastures to help clear this up.

If Bonner's source really wasn't Administrative as Dr. Keenum said, it had to be Athletics. This story won't publish on a booster's word alone as David Murray insinuated.

Fault Bonner all you want but there are only a handful of Athletic sources that he wouldn't have had to corroborate their word and run with.

#2 doesn't exist. There currently is no such source in the athletic dept with that kind of prominence. So, it would have to be #1.

Bodaski
10-13-2016, 12:52 AM
I would not doubt that OM may be behind this from a distance. I find it odd that the same day the CL reports OM has the #1 baseball recruiting class, this info comes out, which it so happens to involve MSU's baseball coach. Also, it could literally change the overall approach in the direction we go. I may over think OM's involvement in our business, but I don't trust either them or the CL. It's obvious they are in bed together. It's called deflection from OM and hardship to MSU.

notsofarawaydawg
10-13-2016, 08:38 AM
Just another ****ing deflection from the real news about to hit the s.h.i.t. fan for the UNM. It's what the CL does so well. It's what UNM wants right now. Get us off the fact that UNM is about to get ****ed up the rear with an elephant dick. Get everyone pulled away from baby MGK wanting to hit a high school kid. It's what the CL does for UNM. It's not going to help them when the NCAA bends them over and goes in dry.

scottycameron
10-13-2016, 10:01 AM
#2 doesn't exist. There currently is no such source in the athletic dept with that kind of prominence. So, it would have to be #1.

#2's definitely exist. And one of them confirmed it for Bonner.

bobtail bob
10-13-2016, 02:24 PM
With the way MSU is reacting I don't think that will be the case. You have Keenum and Sid Salter pretty much calling out the Clarion-Ledger publicly.

Not saying you wrong Todd, but here we are a day later and nothing but fake outrage. This kind of garbage hasn't just started,they have been doing it for years. Run them off the campus and don't let them back on it.

Jarius
10-13-2016, 02:51 PM

This right here. I'm not mad at Bonner unless his info is incorrect. I'm certainly mad at our president if Bonner ends up being correct because he made himself look like an idiot. I also hope the Clarion Ledger goes under and Hugh Fatburger chokes on a cheeseburger. I'm not going to complain about them covering ole miss the way they do and get mad when they cover us the way I want them to cover Ole Miss.

Really Clark?
10-13-2016, 03:02 PM
This right here. I'm not mad at Bonner unless his info is incorrect. I'm certainly mad at our president if Bonner ends up being correct because he made himself look like an idiot. I also hope the Clarion Ledger goes under and Hugh Fatburger chokes on a cheeseburger. I'm not going to complain about them covering ole miss the way they do and get mad when they cover us the way I want them to cover Ole Miss.

Bias reporting of the state's largest paper against our university is not a reason to complain?

Coursesuper
10-13-2016, 03:04 PM

You are correct, very accurate assessment.

Jarius
10-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Bias reporting of the state's largest paper against our university is not a reason to complain?

I will complain about the way they cover Ole Miss, but I'm not going to complain about them covering us the way that they should cover us. Them not covering Ole Miss properly during that investigation is complete bullshit.

Coursesuper
10-13-2016, 03:08 PM

Oh, they very much exist.

Really Clark?
10-13-2016, 03:08 PM
I will complain about the way they cover Ole Miss, but I'm not going to complain about them covering us the way that they should cover us. Them not covering Ole Miss properly during that investigation is complete bullshit.

Oh. You said NOT complain about UNM coverage and not get mad that they cover us they way you wish they would cover UNM.

Maroonthirteen
10-13-2016, 03:09 PM
I guess this is the best thread to post this.

Tom Hart of SEC Network, who is doing PxP for our game Friday, called Keenum "butt hurt" on Memphis radio today. Yes, he used the words butt hurt. His opinion is that Bonner got the information out before we were ready and Keenum didn't like it. That Cohen will be our next AD.

Not that I think this Hart guy is credible. Just....If the next AD ends up being someone else.... his twitter is,

@tom_hart