PDA

View Full Version : Tiano

anubus
10-12-2016, 06:47 PM
has any one been to practice and seen Tiano run the offense.If so what are his strengths and weaknesses? hope to see him get some extended playing time soon.

GTHOM
10-12-2016, 06:51 PM
He seems to be who the players respect the most. He deserves a shot

Red Sox Dawg
10-12-2016, 06:53 PM
He seems to be who the players respect the most. He deserves a shot

Just curious, how would you know that? Mean no disrespect.

GTHOM
10-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Just curious, how would you know that? Mean no disrespect.

Check PM

NeshobaChuck
10-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Would love to know the answer as well as to how you know

thf24
10-13-2016, 08:22 AM
Talk coming out of camp was that he would have won the job outright if there wasn't a (R.Fr) next to his name.

msbulldog
10-13-2016, 12:54 PM
Met him Saturday night, extremely nice young man that took time for the fans.

bstate
10-13-2016, 01:42 PM
I think he should get a shot, depending on Friday night, there is no way he could be any worse than the other two have been.

Noah11
10-13-2016, 01:50 PM
I think he should get a shot, depending on Friday night, there is no way he could be any worse than the other two have been.

agreed big time!! i have to saying that ever since the South Alabama game

Taog Redloh
10-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Have to go with Fitzgerald vs. BYU and Kentucky, because that's what we've prepared for up until now. Perhaps start Tiano vs. Samford, if we tank BYU and Kentucky, en route to a youth movement the end of the year.

There is always a QB controversy at MSU, and the backup is always the answer. I trust Mullen (the QB guru, can't be denied) on this one.

TimberBeast
10-13-2016, 02:22 PM
If our starting back is still holloway, it really doesn't matter what we do at any other position.

HoopsDawg
10-13-2016, 02:47 PM
I just don't understand why Mullen didn't go back to the pre-Tyler Russell offense of 2 backs with Shumpert as the H-back. Why doesn't anyone in the media ask this question? As for Tiano, it was very telling that he didn't get in against AU until the last series. And he hasn't played all year. Mullen's rolling with Fitz this year. An Honestly Fitz hasn't really been the problem. He hasn't played great, but he's been ok.

Dawgfan01
10-13-2016, 03:45 PM
No offense or qb or running back will help because the offensive line is pitiful. ******* buddy needs to be fired. The only offense that might help is going to and entirely option based offense and take the pressure off a swac offensive line we are sporting

fishwater99
10-13-2016, 04:24 PM
I just don't understand why Mullen didn't go back to the pre-Tyler Russell offense of 2 backs with Shumpert as the H-back. Why doesn't anyone in the media ask this question? As for Tiano, it was very telling that he didn't get in against AU until the last series. And he hasn't played all year. Mullen's rolling with Fitz this year. An Honestly Fitz hasn't really been the problem. He hasn't played great, but he's been ok.

I agree and run the Relf offense. Dan is a complete narcissist, he thinks he can run the same offense that he did with Dak, he should have done 2 back sets with Dak..

Tbonewannabe
10-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Fitz has looked like a sophmore QB with a horrible line. Fitz is also in a pass first offense when he spent his entire high school as an option QB. The offense is not tailored to use the strength of our team. Mullen is pounding the square peg in a round hole. Part of our problems are execution but the other problem is what position we are putting the players in.

Really Clark?
10-13-2016, 04:47 PM

And for reference Fitz line this season is 57.4%, 6.1 y/a, 7 TD 2 INT, 156.8 y/g, 390 yards rushing, 6.09 y/a

Dak in 2013 (11 games) 58.4%, 7.3 y/a, 10 TD 7 INT, 176.4 y/g, 829 yards rushing, 6.19 y/a

It also seems that Fitz has had enough drops by the receivers that his yards per game would be close to Dak's

Tripp McNeely
10-13-2016, 05:10 PM
And for reference Fitz line this season is 57.4%, 6.1 y/a, 7 TD 2 INT, 156.8 y/g, 390 yards rushing, 6.09 y/a

Dak in 2013 (11 games) 58.4%, 7.3 y/a, 10 TD 7 INT, 176.4 y/g, 829 yards rushing, 6.19 y/a

It also seems that Fitz has had enough drops by the receivers that his yards per game would be close to Dak's

Pretty interesting head-to-head. Haven't seen that one yet

Dawgtini
10-13-2016, 05:36 PM

Fitz has looked pretty decent this year. It has been overlooked because of the pitchfork mob attacks on Dan and the staff. If our Jr and Sr receivers could catch, our offense would look a lot better. Sans Holloway up the middle, it would open up our running lanes some as well. For all the issues on this team, I don't think Fitz's play is one of them. The younger receivers have started to look better and get some separation. I am ready to see them on the field more.

bulldawg28
10-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Fitz has looked pretty decent this year. It has been overlooked because of the pitchfork mob attacks on Dan and the staff. If our Jr and Sr receivers could catch, our offense would look a lot better. Sans Holloway up the middle, it would open up our running lanes some as well. For all the issues on this team, I don't think Fitz's play is one of them. The younger receivers have started to look better and get some separation. I am ready to see them on the field more.

This. Allow the younger players that are making plays on the field more

chef dixon
10-13-2016, 08:06 PM
Numbers are deceptive as hell for Fitz.

Literally has not made a single play against a team worth a shit or USA when the games actually mattered. He just lacks a natural feel for the decision making the position requires. Its pretty evident. He also has shaky accuracy. The running numbers are pretty deceiving as well. No one can sit here and tell me they think Fitz is a legitimate threat to consistently make plays with his legs after what we've seen this season. We just simply don't move the chains with Fitz leading the charge because so many plays are wasted due to poor execution or decisions. No he doesn't have a ton of help nor do I think we have any other options besides a complete unknown in Tiano. Basically what I'm saying is we just suck at most positions, quarterback certainly no exception.

RougeDawg
10-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Talk coming out of camp was that he would have won the job outright if there wasn't a (R.Fr) next to his name.

No way. Mullen would never keep an underclass man from playing. No way.

BeastMan
10-13-2016, 10:15 PM
Numbers are deceptive as hell for Fitz.

Literally has not made a single play against a team worth a shit or USA when the games actually mattered. He just lacks a natural feel for the decision making the position requires. Its pretty evident. He also has shaky accuracy. The running numbers are pretty deceiving as well. No one can sit here and tell me they think Fitz is a legitimate threat to consistently make plays with his legs after what we've seen this season. We just simply don't move the chains with Fitz leading the charge because so many plays are wasted due to poor execution or decisions. No he doesn't have a ton of help nor do I think we have any other options besides a complete unknown in Tiano. Basically what I'm saying is we just suck at most positions, quarterback certainly no exception.

You get it dude. Watching Fitz play and then reading these boards I feel like I'm in the damn twilight zone. He's been awful as has the whole offense.

GTHOM
10-13-2016, 10:23 PM
You get it dude. Watching Fitz play and then reading these boards I feel like I'm in the damn twilight zone. He's been awful as has the whole offense.

I agree for the most part but you have to admit he would be better if Mullen ran the same offense he ran with Relf. There was virtually no reads in the passing game. Only reads 14 had to make was whether to keep it or give it. Im not saying Fitz is great but Dan could help him some

msstate7
10-13-2016, 10:39 PM

While I agree that fitz and the offense have struggled, it seems you have a personal beef with fitz for whatever reason. You've blamed him and ripped him every chance you've got.

You might as well say fitz has 4 starts under his belt bc the USA game shouldn't count with the quick hook. Fitz has faced the #28 (South Carolina), #7 (lsu), #78 (umass), and #12 (auburn) scoring defenses. Here's his game totals...

Usce -- 19/29 178 yds 2 td 1 int, 195 rushing (program record by qb)

Lsu -- 12/24 120 yds 0 td 0 int, 13 rushing

Umass -- 26/39 305 yds 3 td 0 int, 110 rushing

Auburn -- 17/34 181 yds 2 td 1 int, 61 rushing

So, against scoring defenses outside the top 12, fitz has played pretty well. Byu is 58th BTW so I think this will be a good barometer of where our INEXPERIENCED qb is at. He's shown flashes, so I think the whole fitz is garbage narrative is way too soon.

/rant

Oh and one of the best qb's in the country vs auburn...
Watson -- 19/34 248 yds 1 td 1 int, 21 yds rushing

And a senior qb with the best starting wr's in the sec...
Knight (aTm) vs auburn -- 20/40 247 yds 1 td 0 int, 42 rushing yards

Really Clark?
10-13-2016, 10:56 PM
I only posted those stats to show the comparison of where Dak was at the same time in his career. Dak had some shaky moments as a Soph as well. I think the "Fritz is awful" narrative is extreme to the negative. I didn't say he was good but surprisingly, and there are similar comparisons for conference only games as well, he and Dak have had somewhat similar numbers. Dak didn't read his progressions well as a Soph either.

Tbonewannabe
10-13-2016, 11:21 PM
I only posted those stats to show the comparison of where Dak was at the same time in his career. Dak had some shaky moments as a Soph as well. I think the "Fritz is awful" narrative is extreme to the negative. I didn't say he was good but surprisingly, and there are similar comparisons for conference only games as well, he and Dak have had somewhat similar numbers. Dak didn't read his progressions well as a Soph either.

The play calling doesn't help Fitz much either. The amount our offense relies on Fitz making reads is extreme for a college sophomore. Mullen has made his offense more complex since Relf and Tyson was running the offense.

FISHDAWG
10-14-2016, 07:53 AM

I know he isn't starting and has only limited playing time, but D Williams hasn't played bad at all and should be removed from the terminology "worse"

BB30
10-14-2016, 08:56 AM
I agree for the most part but you have to admit he would be better if Mullen ran the same offense he ran with Relf. There was virtually no reads in the passing game. Only reads 14 had to make was whether to keep it or give it. Im not saying Fitz is great but Dan could help him some

Kind of hard to run that offense when you don't have an OL that can block it. I really do not think Dan is intentionally staying away from the Relf offense I just don't think we have the guys up front to block it and he knows that. Again, not defending Dan as it is just as much his fault we have a pretty bad OL. I think against weaker teams up front you will see more of it but against teams with a good DL and good LBs you will not see it much due to the lack of an ability to block it.

We also don't have a Vic Ballard back there with him that is a legitimate threat if you sell out on Fitz you are probably not going to get hurt when he doesn't keep it.

GhostRider
10-14-2016, 09:03 AM
I agree that the offensive line is the biggest problem we have. As to the topic of who the team respects and who doesn't, the "leadership committee" of the team is voted on by the team and both Damien and Fitz were not voted onto this committee. Tiano however was. It's pretty bad when your quarterback isn't considered a leader by his own teammates.

thf24
10-14-2016, 09:22 AM
I know he isn't starting and has only limited playing time, but D Williams hasn't played bad at all and should be removed from the terminology "worse"

He's played up to his ceiling, but his ceiling might be lower than Fitz' floor over the course of a full game. He can come in and look great for a few series against anyone, but things go downhill in a hurry when opponents realize he can't deliver a ball with any accuracy or velocity beyond 15 yards, and his mediocre running ability closes off at least 1/3 of the playbook. People say we would have beat LSU if he'd played the whole game, when in reality it would have been even uglier. You're right, "worse" isn't a good term to apply to him. "Unviable" is more accurate.

Tbonewannabe
10-14-2016, 09:55 AM
I agree that the offensive line is the biggest problem we have. As to the topic of who the team respects and who doesn't, the "leadership committee" of the team is voted on by the team and both Damien and Fitz were not voted onto this committee. Tiano however was. It's pretty bad when your quarterback isn't considered a leader by his own teammates.

If it is true that Tiano is the only QB on the leadership committee then Dan should have taken our lumps with Tiano this year. QB is too important of a position to not have a leader. No matter how good of a player you are, you have to be a leader at QB.

WSOPdawg
10-14-2016, 10:44 AM
If it is true that Tiano is the only QB on the leadership committee then Dan should have taken our lumps with Tiano this year. QB is too important of a position to not have a leader. No matter how good of a player you are, you have to be a leader at QB.

Given that we saw Tiano late vs Auburn, I think it's now safe to assume that Tiano will be the next man (QB) up and should push for more and more PT and development (at Damian's expense). Will be interesting to see how the team reacts when he's in the game.

Johnson85
10-14-2016, 11:01 AM

Not sure we want to take a RS Fr and have him learn to lose with the rest of this team. If he were really a game changer, then yes, you play him. But if he's not such a leader that the rest of teh team is going to start focusing and executing, I don't want him out there getting killed behind our shit Oline and also learning bad habits by playing with people who are not competing with their all.

louisvilledawg
11-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Tuesday afternoon bump to show how short sighted we are as a whole fanbase. We all ripped into Fitz early in the year talking about how bad he was, and now he's the SEC leader in total yardage. Glad we could change the offense around a little to showcase his strengths (and to put to bed the tiano/williams as qb story)

BeastMan
11-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Tuesday afternoon bump to show how short sighted we are as a whole fanbase. We all ripped into Fitz early in the year talking about how bad he was, and now he's the SEC leader in total yardage. Glad we could change the offense around a little to showcase his strengths (and to put to bed the tiano/williams as qb story)

Ya he played much better in the 2nd half of the year. He has a long way to go passing but he's making strides. The biggest thing that changed down the stretch was Mullen using his strengths and not putting him in the backfield with Holloway. Early in the year he tried to use him as a spread passer with Holloway at RB and he just wasn't seeing the field. By the end of the year, you have Fitz and Aeris killing the read option game and that opened up passing lanes. In hindsight, it's incredibly frustrating he wasn't used like that early in year.

Tbonewannabe
11-29-2016, 04:43 PM
Ya he played much better in the 2nd half of the year. He has a long way to go passing but he's making strides. The biggest thing that changed down the stretch was Mullen using his strengths and not putting him in the backfield with Holloway. Early in the year he tried to use him as a spread passer with Holloway at RB and he just wasn't seeing the field. By the end of the year, you have Fitz and Aeris killing the read option game and that opened up passing lanes. In hindsight, it's incredibly frustrating he wasn't used like that early in year.

True, I know everyone is an expert but there had to be some behind the scenes issues to keep Fitz and Aeris off the field together. Whatever it was, I hope it is completely behind us.

louisvilledawg
11-29-2016, 05:00 PM

For sure. don't know what happened, but once we got williams on the field and started RTGDF, everything started clicking. hell, even our shittastic OL played like some maulers the last few weeks. It's amazing what can be done when you play to the strengths of your offense, instead of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole

maroonmania
11-29-2016, 05:03 PM
delete

confucius say
11-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Not all of us ripped into him talking about how bad he was

maroonmania
11-29-2016, 05:07 PM
True, I know everyone is an expert but there had to be some behind the scenes issues to keep Fitz and Aeris off the field together. Whatever it was, I hope it is completely behind us.

We were all saying from the first of the year that Fitz should be running the Relf offense, not the Dak offense from last year. Why it took our coaches half the year to see that is beyond me. But then again these are the same coaches who kept thinking ramming Holloway up the middle was a good idea so go figure.

Cooterpoot
11-29-2016, 05:15 PM
This is one crazy azz thread.

1. Tiano was no where close to being the starter. That was strictly fan talk. He wasn't ready and even he said he wasn't there yet.
2. The light came on for Fitz around the KY game. He stopped getting in hurry so much. Since then, he's much improved. He only had a couple series in the USA game and that's on Dan.
3. LSU, AL, AU are all top 25 defenses. Nobody is lighting them up.
4. Our OL improvement and RB improvement have helped Fitz out too.
5. Count the drops the WRs had earlier in the season. Lots and lots of drops.

Basically Dan screwed around for half the season before doing what needed to be done.

chef dixon
11-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Yea I ripped him. He improved partly due to making better decisions with the read option and the injury to Holloway. Doesn't change the fact that he needs to be throwing balls every day until August.

If he isn't being successful running he will not beat any defense through the air at this juncture.

maroonmania
11-29-2016, 05:56 PM
This is one crazy azz thread.

1. Tiano was no where close to being the starter. That was strictly fan talk. He wasn't ready and even he said he wasn't there yet.
2. The light came on for Fitz around the KY game. He stopped getting in hurry so much. Since then, he's much improved. He only had a couple series in the USA game and that's on Dan.
3. LSU, AL, AU are all top 25 defenses. Nobody is lighting them up.
4. Our OL improvement and RB improvement have helped Fitz out too.
5. Count the drops the WRs had earlier in the season. Lots and lots of drops.

Basically Dan screwed around for half the season before doing what needed to be done.

It is primarily our coaches fault we are 5-7, and that falls on Mullen. Why they put so much burden on Fitz early in the year to read defenses and make the right throws as inexperienced as he was is asinine. There was never any real reason to have Fitz throw more than 25 passes in a game early in the season unless we were way behind. 36 freakin' passes against BYU was just stupid play calling.

RougeDawg
11-29-2016, 06:06 PM
Not all of us ripped into him talking about how bad he was

Nope. Not all. Some of us were even saying that Fitz was ahead of Dak at this poin in their careers. Some of us were even crazy enough to say Fitz was going to start after Dak left over a year ago and had the potential to be the better of the two. Well at least people called us crazy to even mention the two in the same sentence and suggest how well we projected Fitz could be.

Turfdawg67
11-29-2016, 07:34 PM

I and many on here did not rip him. Some of the same ppl that did rip him also proclaimed that we had NO running backs. Williams and Lee were no better than Holloway and Shump. The shortsightedness, especially during the heat of a game is truly frustrating. And if you say, yes Fritz will get better or our RBs are good but it's our OL that's struggling... you're labeled a sunshine pumper.