PDA

View Full Version : If Cohen is named AD, who replaces him

DudyDawg
10-12-2016, 11:29 AM
As baseball coach. You've got to think he wouldn't move to AD (if the reports are true) if he didn't have a plan for baseball.

Big4Dawg
10-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Founds like Cohen already has his guy. Could it be Butch?

msstate7
10-12-2016, 11:37 AM
I would name Henderson as interim and hire after season unless we can get a top flight guy right now

Hrdawg82
10-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Founds like Cohen already has his guy. Could it be Butch?

That would be good.... Mullen to Baseball???

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-12-2016, 11:40 AM
I think he does have a top flight guy right now...

Big4Dawg
Reports are saying Henderson will not get the job.

Thick
What about Lane Burroughs?

starkvegasdawg
10-12-2016, 11:45 AM
Bobby Cox and Leo Mazzone

msstate7
10-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Bobby Cox and Leo Mazzone

Fredi Gonzalez and roger McDowell

fader2103
10-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Joe Maddon.

Quaoarsking
10-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Polk III

ElitedawgRecruiting
10-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Just don't repeat this. But if you gonna make it in this business you have to go to Nashville

coastdoglover
If he doesn't stay on as baseball coach, which he may, Butch Thompson looks like the choice to me.

Intramural All-American
Name I've heard is Cannizzaro, LSU hitting coach. This was a week or so ago, so things could change, but that's what I've heard. Cohen really likes him, only hold up is his lack of college experience. Was a Yankees scout for years.

rcsteph1
10-12-2016, 11:56 AM
I would like for it to be butch, will be interesting to see it play out

I seen it dawg
10-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Name I've heard is Cannizzaro, LSU hitting coach. This was a week or so ago, so things could change, but that's what I've heard. Cohen really likes him, only hold up is his lack of college experience. Was a Yankees scout for years.

Needs 1-2 more years before he is ready for a job like ours.

I seen it dawg
10-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Just don't repeat this. But if you gonna make it in this business you have to go to Nashville

Hard hitting

Backspin
10-12-2016, 12:07 PM
It will be Butch Thompson and should be Butch...he is hands down the best choice.

I seen it dawg
10-12-2016, 12:11 PM
It will be Butch Thompson and should be Butch...he is hands down the best choice.

Will disagree here

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-12-2016, 12:15 PM

If Butch is the best we can do then we are not a very good baseball program.

RougeDawg
10-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Just hire someone who actually teaches the game mechanics wise. Please dear God. We could purchase property and become a staple in Omaha with someone focused more on mechanics. I.e. Gilmore from coastal Carolina. Those guys played the game better than any team I've seen in a long time and their talent level wasn't anywhere near a P5 school. They just did ALL of the small things correct: take extra bases via reading down angle, knowing where position players were playing, noticing position of fielders while catching ball. I could go on for days but out players were simply allowed to play with very little instruction other than situational items. I.e. Sac bunt, hit and run, steal etc.

preachermatt83
10-12-2016, 12:18 PM
First two on the list... Initials, JS( may be the best coach in America) and GG.

preachermatt83
10-12-2016, 12:20 PM
JJ will def be way up on the list.

Let me say also, I still don't think Cohen gets the job.

confucius say
10-12-2016, 12:22 PM
Schlosneagle

shoeless joe
10-12-2016, 12:24 PM
First two on the list... Initials, JS( may be the best coach in America) and GG.

What about EO?

MafiaDawg
10-12-2016, 12:30 PM
Y'all have got to be kidding me about butch. Please no. When you don't have to hire a non proven coach why would you?

ShotgunDawg
10-12-2016, 12:30 PM
Josh Holliday

Backspin
10-12-2016, 12:32 PM

If you're referring to Schlosnagle, he just inked a 6 year deal worth $1.4 million per year this past summer. He's not leaving TCU/Ft Worth.

GTHOM
10-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Just hire someone who actually teaches the game mechanics wise. Please dear God. We could purchase property and become a staple in Omaha with someone focused more on mechanics. I.e. Gilmore from coastal Carolina. Those guys played the game better than any team I've seen in a long time and their talent level wasn't anywhere near a P5 school. They just did ALL of the small things correct: take extra bases via reading down angle, knowing where position players were playing, noticing position of fielders while catching ball. I could go on for days but out players were simply allowed to play with very little instruction other than situational items. I.e. Sac bunt, hit and run, steal etc.

Dont mention the guy from Coastal or MarketingBully will tell you to shut up

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
10-12-2016, 12:52 PM
As was mentioned yesterday in a thread on here or another board. Tim Tadlock at TxTech would be very good hire for us.

Political Hack
10-12-2016, 12:52 PM
If you're referring to Schlosnagle, he just inked a 6 year deal worth $1.4 million per year this past summer. He's not leaving TCU/Ft Worth.

That's one name. There's an assistant at another SEC West school that's in play if it were to be needed. Also, the Nashville thing may have legs. Can't go wrong with any of those 3 IMO.

Mjoelner34
10-12-2016, 12:58 PM

Exactly! If he is the best we can do, we should have fired Cohen and hired Butch as head when he was here.

anubus
10-12-2016, 12:59 PM

Corbin would be a homerun hire for sure we'd

preachermatt83
10-12-2016, 01:00 PM

Go check out the buyout. It's not bad at all.

preachermatt83
10-12-2016, 01:01 PM
That's one name. There's an assistant at another SEC West school that's in play if it were to be needed. Also, the Nashville thing may have legs. Can't go wrong with any of those 3 IMO.

Corbin!?? Like legit candidate? That's would be awesome.

preachermatt83
10-12-2016, 01:03 PM
What about EO?

He's on there. Just lower down the list *** ha!

Gutter Cobreh
10-12-2016, 01:08 PM

Rep. given; hilarious!

blacklistedbully
10-12-2016, 04:37 PM
I've got nothing against Corbin...but he enjoys a tremendous recruiting advantage at Vandy. Would he be so successful were he at a school that had to limit scholarship offers?

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 04:48 PM
I've got nothing against Corbin...but he enjoys a tremendous recruiting advantage at Vandy. Would he be so successful were he at a school that had to limit scholarship offers?

Everywhere has advantages and disadvantages. If you go play at Vandy you get to play in front of hundreds of fans who don't care about baseball other than Buster Olney and the guy that whistle's all game long. We can say that you get to play in front of thousands of passionate fans every game and you are treated like a football player on campus.

TNDawg35
10-12-2016, 05:25 PM
I would still throw the bank at Dan McDonald (sp) at The Ville, but would damn happy with Corbin. TCU's coach would be on the short list tho...

Were not getting Coastal Carolinas coach. If im not mistaken, he is at his alma mater and they have a good size upgrade coming. Plus add in he just took down the field and natty...

preachermatt83
10-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Sure Godwin would be on the list too

ScoobaDawg
10-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Some new choices just introduced per some guy named Cody Allsup....I mean he's the pitching coach at Starkville Academy. He's gotta be in the know.

Cody Allsup ‏@codyallsup23 3h3 hours ago
My sources are telling me, that if John Cohen becomes Athletic Director, Mississippi State has several big time candidates in mind.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CumA0BpXYAAjphR.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CumA0BsXYAAJMAi.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CumA0BqXEAA6DGZ.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CumA0BrWYAAJ1rX.jpg

msbulldog
10-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Damn Scooba, you have a lotta free time on your hands! But it's funny.

GTHOM
10-12-2016, 06:47 PM
If you could chose Corbin or Cohen right now who would yall pick

TNDawg35
10-12-2016, 07:14 PM
BRIGMA!!!

Tbonewannabe
10-12-2016, 07:28 PM
If Cohen doesn't hire Kenny Powers he needs to be fired. We could get Stevie to run the camps.

TNDawg35
10-12-2016, 07:59 PM
If Cohen doesn't hire Kenny Powers he needs to be fired. We could get Stevie to run the camps.

Stevie already coaches our offensive line...

weblow
10-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Corbin allows the ****ing Whistler. He is automatically disqualified based on that alone.

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 08:54 PM
If you could chose Corbin or Cohen right now who would yall pick

This is a good question.

My thought is I think Cohen would be better for MSU specifically because he is an alumni and understands MSU baseball and the tradition that is here. That said, I think the biggest thing that Corbin has over Cohen is he has won a National Championship. To my knowledge we have never had a coach that has won a NC at another school as our head coach. And that could be beneficial the next time we go to Omaha. No question about that.

About Corbin and I will say this about him- if you don't like small ball he may not be who would want as your coach. Granted Vandy's stadium has that slick astro turf and he has always built his teams mostly around speed and defense even moreso than Cohen. In my opinion, MSU is best as a blue collar hard working team so the small ball does translate there some to a degree because you have to hustle to play small ball well. I do like the fact that Cohen's teams have more power than Corbin's do in general or at least a philosophy to go along with the small ball. The other thing is Vandy is really known for their pitching and those are normally the guys that they have that people wonder how on Earth they got them through the MLB draft. And if he could get us some of those pitchers that would be a very good thing. I would be interested to know and see if he would change his offensive philosophy to match our stadium and what Cohen does with power but maybe with more stolen bases? That would be my biggest question about him. If it is Corbin, I would at least like to keep Will Coggin as the hitting coach. Corbin just lost his hitting coach to Tulane as he took their head coaching job.

I really don't think we could go wrong with either Cohen or Corbin to be totally honest with you. In fact, Corbin was my second choice to be the head coach at MSU when we were looking for Polk's replacement at the time.

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 08:55 PM
Corbin allows the ****ing Whistler. He is automatically disqualified based on that alone.

As long as that douche stays in Nashville I'm good. I would write that into the contract.

That guy has been kicked out at least a couple of times that I am aware of from Vandy baseball games and I think he got into a fight with one of our fans last year.

GTHOM
10-12-2016, 09:19 PM
This is a good question.

My thought is I think Cohen would be better for MSU specifically because he is an alumni and understands MSU baseball and the tradition that is here. That said, I think the biggest thing that Corbin has over Cohen is he has won a National Championship. To my knowledge we have never had a coach that has won a NC at another school as our head coach. And that could be beneficial the next time we go to Omaha. No question about that.

About Corbin and I will say this about him- if you don't like small ball he may not be who would want as your coach. Granted Vandy's stadium has that slick astro turf and he has always built his teams mostly around speed and defense even moreso than Cohen. In my opinion, MSU is best as a blue collar hard working team so the small ball does translate there some to a degree because you have to hustle to play small ball well. I do like the fact that Cohen's teams have more power than Corbin's do in general or at least a philosophy to go along with the small ball. The other thing is Vandy is really known for their pitching and those are normally the guys that they have that people wonder how on Earth they got them through the MLB draft. And if he could get us some of those pitchers that would be a very good thing. I would be interested to know and see if he would change his offensive philosophy to match our stadium and what Cohen does with power but maybe with more stolen bases? That would be my biggest question about him. If it is Corbin, I would at least like to keep Will Coggin as the hitting coach. Corbin just lost his hitting coach to Tulane as he took their head coaching job.

I really don't think we could go wrong with either Cohen or Corbin to be totally honest with you. In fact, Corbin was my second choice to be the head coach at MSU when we were looking for Polk's replacement at the time.

I like baseball esp State baseball but I wont even pretend to know it as well as you obviously or some others. I'm a football guy. That said, who do you think we have a realistic shot at getting to replace Cohen if we do make him AD?

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 09:49 PM
I like baseball esp State baseball but I wont even pretend to know it as well as you obviously or some others. I'm a football guy. That said, who do you think we have a realistic shot at getting to replace Cohen if we do make him AD?

It's hard to say because this isn't the prime time to go looking for a baseball coach. I do think that we could get Butch, Mingione, Lane, etc. probably pretty easily if it got down to it. I'm not sure that us getting Corbin or a Schlossnagle is very realistic just being honest. I would say promoting Henderson as an interim is a possibility although people say that won't happen and I agree it probably wouldn't.

The name I keep hearing is Andy Canizarro who is the hitting coach for LSU would be Cohen's choice. I will say that he is a very good hitting coach and he used to play at Tulane when they went to Omaha. I think the thing that we have to be cognizant of is how that would affect the rest of the staff because he would just be kind of coming in plus he has no head coaching experience that I am aware of.

If Cohen were asking me who I would recommend I would probably go after Greg Goff at Alabama. I think Goff would be the best fit for us because of his ties to Mississippi and the fact that he turned around Louisiana Tech very quickly. He also has ties to Christian Ostrander who I think is an outstanding pitching coach.

GTHOM
10-12-2016, 10:03 PM
It's hard to say because this isn't the prime time to go looking for a baseball coach. I do think that we could get Butch, Mingione, Lane, etc. probably pretty easily if it got down to it. I'm not sure that us getting Corbin or a Schlossnagle is very realistic just being honest. I would say promoting Henderson as an interim is a possibility although people say that won't happen and I agree it probably wouldn't.

The name I keep hearing is Andy Canizarro who is the hitting coach for LSU would be Cohen's choice. I will say that he is a very good hitting coach and he used to play at Tulane when they went to Omaha. I think the thing that we have to be cognizant of is how that would affect the rest of the staff because he would just be kind of coming in plus he has no head coaching experience that I am aware of.

If Cohen were asking me who I would recommend I would probably go after Greg Goff at Alabama. I think Goff would be the best fit for us because of his ties to Mississippi and the fact that he turned around Louisiana Tech very quickly. He also has ties to Christian Ostrander who I think is an outstanding pitching coach.

Not trying to turn this into a baseball thread but I just think we need somebody to get us over the hump and get it done. I think a Corbin, Cohen, Gilmore, or a Tim Tadlock could get it done here

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Not trying to turn this into a baseball thread but I just think we need somebody to get us over the hump and get it done. I think a Corbin, Cohen, Gilmore, or a Tim Tadlock could get it done here

I agree. I think that's what makes someone like Corbin appealing to me and whenever or whomever we hire as our next head baseball coach I'd like for it to be someone that has won before in Omaha if possible. Because like I said we have never really had that before and that may be why we haven't done it yet. Then again of course the guys that win always have their first time to win it as well.

blacklistedbully
10-13-2016, 01:54 PM
Everywhere has advantages and disadvantages. If you go play at Vandy you get to play in front of hundreds of fans who don't care about baseball other than Buster Olney and the guy that whistle's all game long. We can say that you get to play in front of thousands of passionate fans every game and you are treated like a football player on campus.

The advantage of being able to offer pretty much limitless scholarships to one of the world's premier academic institutions, with truly powerful alums on your side after graduation trumps the other advantages.

No matter how many advantages we have with regard to fan base, facilities, etc....we are absolutely limited in the number of scholarships we can offer...period. They are not.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2016, 03:11 PM
Sources are saying.....

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sporting_news/a2/44/mazzone-leothen072514-ap-ftrjpg_1aqbks7mluamc1hllqs20x5j36.jpg?t=1845467407

Leo Mazzone**

AusTexDawg
10-13-2016, 03:41 PM
Agree with Blacklisted's earlier post about how the scholarship advantage at Vandy would probably trump most other jobs for Corbin (not to mention that he owns the only national championship in men's sports that Vandy has).

For those who've mentioned Tadlock and Schlossnagle, if they didn't take leave for Texas, which shares recruiting territory with their current schools but offers more resources, truly elite baseball tradition and (at least in theory) a better contract, why would they go to MSU instead? I'm not trying to be sarcastic - I would like to know what about MSU would be more appealing for them than, particularly since TCU probably has the same scholarship advantages that Vandy has and that Tadlock is a Tech alum.

I'm hoping that this is idle chatter and that we get to keep what seems like the best coach for MSU at this time in the dugout.

MarketingBully
10-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Agree with Blacklisted's earlier post about how the scholarship advantage at Vandy would probably trump most other jobs for Corbin (not to mention that he owns the only national championship in men's sports that Vandy has).

For those who've mentioned Tadlock and Schlossnagle, if they didn't take leave for Texas, which shares recruiting territory with their current schools but offers more resources, truly elite baseball tradition and (at least in theory) a better contract, why would they go to MSU instead? I'm not trying to be sarcastic - I would like to know what about MSU would be more appealing for them than, particularly since TCU probably has the same scholarship advantages that Vandy has and that Tadlock is a Tech alum.

I'm hoping that this is idle chatter and that we get to keep what seems like the best coach for MSU at this time in the dugout.

They both had non-compete agreements built into their contract that made it impossible for them to go to Texas. For Tadlock especially, why would you leave your alma mater to go to a school that directly competes with your alma mater year in and year out.

All the names you guys mentioned would be great baseball hires. I am intrigued by the Tim Corbin mention as I think he would do an outstanding job here. So would GG as GTHOM mentioned as well as Dan McDonnell from Louisville. For this year, I wouldn't mind going the interim coach route with Henderson for the time being and then hire a homerun hire this offseason such as a Corbin, Tadlock, JS, Goff, or GG in case those coaches offered interest but didn't want to leave their programs in a lurch this season.

Tbonewannabe
10-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Fredi Gonzalez and roger McDowell

You are wrong for even mentioning Fredi in relation to anything to do with MSU baseball. Don't you put that juju on us.

MarketingBully
10-13-2016, 04:37 PM

That had to do with you complaining how bad a hire you thought Cohen being Athletic Director would be. I actually think your mentioning of Gilmore as a replacement for Cohen would be an excellent baseball hire.

GTHOM
10-13-2016, 07:38 PM
That had to do with you complaining how bad a hire you thought Cohen being Athletic Director would be. I actually think your mentioning of Gilmore as a replacement for Cohen would be an excellent baseball hire.

I said it would be a bad hire if we didnt get a badass coach to replace him in baseball. Cmon bro

BossDawg
10-13-2016, 08:47 PM

I swear. Good Lord that would be an unimpressive hire at the very least. We can do much, much better than that.

It wouldn't surprise me though.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
10-13-2016, 08:55 PM

I agree with you on Schlossnagle and the scholarships - hard to go from almost unlimited to very limited. As for Tadlock....I've been to Lubbock, TX and I know Starkville gets hammered a lot by opposing fans and the media but DAMN, it's 100x nicer than Lubbock. That's just a depressing place. Good people out there but just a depressing and WINDY place. On top of that, the baseball facilities are not much better than a top 6A high school's. The opportunity to coach at one of the best baseball schools in the best baseball conference that will soon have the best baseball facility in the country should be enough to lure Tadlock away from Lubbock. Alum or not.

BossDawg
10-13-2016, 08:56 PM
Y'all have got to be kidding me about butch. Please no. When you don't have to hire a non proven coach why would you?

It's the typical "aww shux, golly jeepers we need to hire/promote a good ol' "family" coach and give him the fair shot he deserves!" attitude that still lurks deep within the minds of many State fans.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
10-13-2016, 09:23 PM
I'm all for Butch coming back but only after he's had A LOT of success down at Auburn - over more than a couple of years.

msbulldog
10-14-2016, 06:36 AM
As long as that douche stays in Nashville I'm good. I would write that into the contract.

That guy has been kicked out at least a couple of times that I am aware of from Vandy baseball games and I think he got into a fight with one of our fans last year.

He did a woman that smacked him, he tried to press charges against her. 3 or 4 Dawgs with bells right behind him will shut him up.

msbulldog
10-14-2016, 06:45 AM
I agree with you on Schlossnagle and the scholarships - hard to go from almost unlimited to very limited. As for Tadlock....I've been to Lubbock, TX and I know Starkville gets hammered a lot by opposing fans and the media but DAMN, it's 100x nicer than Lubbock. That's just a depressing place. Good people out there but just a depressing and WINDY place. On top of that, the baseball facilities are not much better than a top 6A high school's. The opportunity to coach at one of the best baseball schools in the best baseball conference that will soon have the best baseball facility in the country should be enough to lure Tadlock away from Lubbock. Alum or not.

I did a 1 day consulting gig in Lubbock once, your right I wouldn't want to live there.

Backspin
10-14-2016, 12:13 PM
It's the typical "aww shux, golly jeepers we need to hire/promote a good ol' "family" coach and give him the fair shot he deserves!" attitude that still lurks deep within the minds of many State fans.

No "aww shux, golly jeepers" here. I know baseball and I know good coaches. Butch Thompson is a helluva coach and a great recruiter. Who do you think is responsible for the 2013 crop of talent that led us to the CWS and most of which are playing in the MLB now? Butch was the head recruiter at that time and I know for a fact he had to personally lay eyes on every recruit before they were offered. Mingione made the initial contact in some cases but Butch had to see the recruit and approve of the recruit before they were brought in to meet Cohen. In some cases Cohen would go out and watch a recruit play but only after Butch had seen the kid play. That's how much confidence Cohen had in Butch's eye for talent.

Backspin
10-14-2016, 12:19 PM
I'm for finding the best coach period if it's outside the borders of Mississippi that's great too. I have total confidence in Cohen, if he becomes AD, to find the right guy. I'm sure he already knows who the right guy is and whether or not that guy is interested. Personally, I know Cliff Godwin is one of the very best out there. Great motivator, teacher of the game, person, and his resume' as a hitting coach speaks for itself. I'm just not sure Cohen would go there.