PDA

View Full Version : Sirmon doing what Mullen won't...accepting responsibility

starkvegasdawg
10-11-2016, 10:33 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/mississippi-state-defensive-coordinator-better-job-coaching/

msstate7
10-11-2016, 10:38 PM
You heard em. We know who is at fault now... Fire Sirmon!***

BeardoMSU
10-11-2016, 10:49 PM
I feel for the guy...It's hard to make defensive adjustments when your base package is cover 2, and your best players are ridin' pine for most of the game.***

yjnkdawg
10-11-2016, 11:29 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/mississippi-state-defensive-coordinator-better-job-coaching/

Yeah, I read his interview on 247. He continually said he needed to do a better job of coaching. He never blamed the players. He took complete responsibility for the defensive play.

GTHOM
10-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Mullen wouldve blamed him to the press anyway

Dawgtini
10-11-2016, 11:43 PM
Mullen wouldve blamed him to the press anyway
You would think Mullen would give it a rest after he offed jimmy Hoffa and handled the JFK job from the grassy knoll. What a narcissistic prick.

dawgday166
10-12-2016, 08:57 AM
You would think Mullen would give it a rest after he offed jimmy Hoffa and handled the JFK job from the grassy knoll. What a narcissistic prick.

Agreed. I had forgotten about his role in those events.

RougeDawg
10-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Sirmon is just a lowly DC. No way he's even remotely smart enough to learn 1/100th the knowledge from the developer of modern day forward pass football.

Dawg61
10-12-2016, 10:17 AM
Pettway up the middle 30 times in a row is really difficult to stop for Sirmon apparently.

maroonmania
10-12-2016, 10:30 AM
From what I read Sirmon pretty much threw himself under the bus, then backed the bus up and ran over himself another time or two. That is refreshing I guess given the constant deflection of blame we get from Mullen. Well, I say that although Mullen does take the blame for "raising expectations within the fan base" which, according to him, is much of the problem this year for discontent so there is that. Anyway, whether Sirmon and the defensive staff are not doing a good job or not it still goes back to Mullen because he can't keep a DC for more than a year so all our defensive players know is constant change and starting over. They play like they don't know what their assignment is half the time and that is probably because they've got multiple schemes running through their head. Again, a byproduct of Mullen and his inability to keep a DC.

GTHOM
10-12-2016, 11:59 AM

Do you wanna fire our DC again for the 8th time?

Dawg61
10-12-2016, 12:22 PM
Do you wanna fire our DC again for the 8th time?

Yes if your defense can't stop a simple HB dive that's run 30 times in a row and can't defend any passes in the middle of the field ever.

GTHOM
10-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Yes if your defense can't stop a simple HB dive that's run 30 times in a row and can't defend any passes in the middle of the field ever.

Lot more to it than a simple HB dive but people have been completing passes over the middle and on our 8 yards of cushion CBs for as long as Mullen has been here. Just saying

TimberBeast
10-12-2016, 12:39 PM

What's more troubling to me is that our head coach can't copy that play with a real running back.

Gutter Cobreh
10-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Maybe Sirmon is simply smart enough to know that placing the blame on himself is what good coaches actually do...

He is in his first year with guys that he had no control over bringing into the program. I'm sure there are some behind the scenes stuff with schemes and personnel that don't get said, but as have been alluded to here (like bend but don't break mentality that has been prevalent in the program for years) are actually in play.

The guy was a hell of a recruiter at USC, so my sense is that he connects with the players without having to wake surf or wear yeezeys... He and T-Buck with NFL experience carries more water with the guys on the team than anything our HC can do outside of the game.

preachermatt83
10-12-2016, 01:08 PM

Mullen runs the defense it don't matter who the DC is. You could have Saban as DC and it wouldn't matter. Collins, Diaz, and Sirmon all could have been good if Dan would keep his nose out of the defense.

msstate7
10-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Mullen runs the defense it don't matter who the DC is. You could have Saban as DC and it wouldn't matter. Collins, Diaz, and Sirmon all could have been good if Dan would keep his nose out of the defense.

Then why is Collins blamed so much for our struggles vs om and GT in '14?

Dawg61
10-12-2016, 01:33 PM
Lot more to it than a simple HB dive but people have been completing passes over the middle and on our 8 yards of cushion CBs for as long as Mullen has been here. Just saying

I've been sick to death of the secondary scheme for a long time now but the inability to stop a simple HB dive that's run over and over and over by Pettway was the most frustrating thing I've watched a Mullen coached team perfect. It was absurd.

GTHOM
10-12-2016, 06:53 PM
I've been sick to death of the secondary scheme for a long time now but the inability to stop a simple HB dive that's run over and over and over by Pettway was the most frustrating thing I've watched a Mullen coached team perfect. It was absurd.

I agree it was pathetic not to be prepared and ready for them. I think its because the team has quit but thats just my opinion. Too much talent, esp on defense for us to be this bad

BayouDawg
10-12-2016, 07:37 PM
Then why is Collins blamed so much for our struggles vs om and GT in '14?

To be fair everyone had mailed it in by the egg bowl. And Deshae was the D coordinator in the bowl game. Boy was that a failed experiment