PDA

View Full Version : Cohen to AD gaining some serious steam...

DeviousDawg
10-11-2016, 03:15 PM
I'm hearing that if Cohen is announced, which is looking very likely as of now, that we will be very impressed with the short list to replace Cohen as the Baseball Coach. Cohen is just enough of an ass hole to tell Gary Henderson sorry, but it's not gonna happen buddy. Does Cohen have enough balls to tell Mullen to 17 off? That's yet to be known.

Cooterpoot
10-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Not happening

Bama_Dawg
10-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Please no...Let Cohen coach baseball.

We need an AD with AD experience. I'm tired of "experiments"

Coursesuper
10-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Please God No.

msstate7
10-11-2016, 03:32 PM
It's funny that pretty much every one here is in agreement that keenum will make the right decision about Mullen and even hiring a HC if necessary, but the same ones don't trust keenum's judgement about the AD job.

iPat09
10-11-2016, 03:34 PM
If this happens, I am giving up on the university as a whole. To me, that's just nothing more than laziness.

civildawg
10-11-2016, 03:36 PM
I might as well go buy a damn Bama shirt and be done with it.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-11-2016, 03:38 PM
I guess I just don't understand the move from Cohen's perspective or from Keenum's. If it happens it seems like a really stupid move on paper unless he was actually far more involved in every day AD activities than I realized.

mic
10-11-2016, 03:41 PM
I'm hearing that if Cohen is announced, which is looking very likely as of now, that we will be very impressed with the short list to replace Cohen as the Baseball Coach. Cohen is just enough of an ass hole to tell Gary Henderson sorry, but it's not gonna happen buddy. Does Cohen have enough balls to tell Mullen to 17 off? That's yet to be known.

Maybe Steam from the Cohen for AD supporters ..

RC3
10-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Bonner just mentioned this on Finebaum

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Bonner just reported this same thing on Finebaum. I can't decide whether I like it or not. Part of me says no, part of me says maybe we'll get a better on field coach in baseball.

Really Clark?
10-11-2016, 03:55 PM
I guess I just don't understand the move from Cohen's perspective or from Keenum's. If it happens it seems like a really stupid move on paper unless he was actually far more involved in every day AD activities than I realized.

Over the last 4 months since he was given the associate AD title? That seems to be an incredibly short window to even get his feet wet.

Really Clark?
10-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Bonner just mentioned this on Finebaum

Whew! Good. Was worried this had real legs

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Over the last 4 months since he was given the associate AD title? That seems to be an incredibly short window to even get his feet wet.

I didn't realize it had been such a short period of time. Sheesh...can anyone explain the thought process here? We hire a search firm and this is the shit we come up with?

gtowndawg
10-11-2016, 04:01 PM
I know it's not a popular stance but I'm intrigued by this. He's extremely smart and HIGHLY competitive. I think we need someone hard nosed that is willing to support his coaches but also willing to have a come to Jesus meeting quick when things get off the rails. As long as he is willing to let his staff handle things he can not (marketing, etc) I'm willing to learn more.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-11-2016, 04:05 PM
They better have someone like Bryan O'Connor lined up if they do something this crazy.

DeviousDawg
10-11-2016, 04:11 PM
I'm not saying it's a done deal, but I am saying that someone who knows more than any of us on here said that it's close to a done deal and that we may or may not already have someone line up to replace Cohen, who is a "very impressive name".

No one knows how this is going to play out but the people who are in the decision making process know what they are doing and have a great track record of hiring successful AD's. Cohen will not get the job unless the decision makers feel that he is more than capable. If we go grab a big name for baseball like I'm hearing, and the intense bastard tells Mullen to GTFO, I don't see how anyone can complain.

I do truly believe that if Cohen gets the AD job, he was the best option for not only the future of our athletic department but also for the future of Mississippi State. Just because someone is qualified as an athletic director, it does not necessarily mean that he understands and enjoys how the state of Mississippi works.

thf24
10-11-2016, 04:16 PM
I do truly believe that if Cohen gets the AD job, he was the best option for not only the future of our athletic department but also for the future of Mississippi State. Just because someone is qualified as an athletic director, it does not necessarily mean that he understands and enjoys how the state of Mississippi works.

I agree and it's what would stop me from scratching my head too hard. Still though, I can't understand and would really like to know why a) anyone from top to bottom thinks Cohen is more valuable to our university as athletic director than head baseball coach after the job he's done so far, and b) why Cohen, a career baseball player and coach, would rather sit behind a desk than coach baseball.

ETA: Would love to see Polk's reaction if Cohen became the head of our athletic department.

DeviousDawg
10-11-2016, 04:18 PM
I know it's not a popular stance but I'm intrigued by this. He's extremely smart and HIGHLY competitive. I think we need someone hard nosed that is willing to support his coaches but also willing to have a come to Jesus meeting quick when things get off the rails. As long as he is willing to let his staff handle things he can not (marketing, etc) I'm willing to learn more.

This is exactly how I feel. Very fair and objective post. Stricklin was Mullen's bitch, which was a big part of why he left and why our football program is falling apart. I can tell you that Cohen will be no ones bitch. No one expects Cohen to be a fundraiser or marketing genius, but there are people for that, they are a dime a dozen and replaceable. However, there is only one alumni of Mississippi state that has played a sport for us and coached one of our teams to a SEC championship and a National championship appearance. Cohen is a winner and understands how sports at MSU not only work, but can be successful. If Cohen is exclusively in charge of the athletic side of things, then count me all in, pending a homerun hire for baseball coach like I am hearing.

BeardoMSU
10-11-2016, 04:20 PM
ETA: Would love to see Polk's reaction if Cohen became the head of our athletic department.

http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/MacGruber-Angry.gif

basedog
10-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Have no clue why the hate on Cohen unless those folks are experts on being a qualified AD. Cohen ain't one to back down, ask O'Sullivan.

Btw, for all you hatters on Cohen saying your done with Msu, I wear XL shirts and collect bulldogs, let me know and I will give an address so you can send your "Bully stuff", I will always be a True Dawg, regardless, I've seen much worse things happening at Msu.

Taog Redloh
10-11-2016, 04:30 PM
Ole Miss idiots thought Freeze was a lazy hire too.

And then......

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
10-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Have no clue why the hate on Cohen unless those folks are experts on being a qualified AD. Cohen ain't one to back down, ask O'Sullivan.

Btw, for all you hatters on Cohen saying your done with Msu, I wear XL shirts and collect bulldogs, let me know and I will give an address so you can send your "Bully stuff", I will always be a True Dawg, regardless, I've seen much worse things happening at Msu.

Was about to say O'Sullivan to Starkville*** and then read your post.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
10-11-2016, 04:44 PM
If Cohen does end up as AD. Who could this new "Very Impressive" coaching hire be?

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 04:45 PM
Moves like this are why our athletic department is near the bottom of the SEC historically speaking. Lazy hire if true.

Taog Redloh
10-11-2016, 04:48 PM

This.

MetEdDawg
10-11-2016, 04:49 PM
I think what's funny is that there were some saying Stricklin betrayed us and we need someone loyal and then they don't like Cohen.

I'm not sure, regardless of AD experience, if there is another available person that will take MSU athletics more personally and passionately than Cohen. We want a hardass. That's Cohen. We want a loyal person. That's Cohen. Only thing we don't like is that he has no AD experience. But we trust Keenum in this regard except on Cohen??

Lot of people not making sense in my opinion.

DeviousDawg
10-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Butch Thompson would be a serious option, but I think he will be #3 or #4 on the list. Cohen will still have a presence in the program to say the least. Hire Butch as HC, go get the best hitting coach money can buy and make him Associate HC, with Cohen as a sort of mentor to look to.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it play out this way if we miss on a few bigger names. Baseball and Basketball will be fine with Cohen as AD, the first big question for Cohen will be what does he do with Mullen? I have a feeling that that question will already be internally answered if/when Cohen is hired as AD.

msstate7
10-11-2016, 04:53 PM
I think what's funny is that there were some saying Stricklin betrayed us and we need someone loyal and then they don't like Cohen.

I'm not sure, regardless of AD experience, if there is another available person that will take MSU athletics more personally and passionately than Cohen. We want a hardass. That's Cohen. We want a loyal person. That's Cohen. Only thing we don't like is that he has no AD experience. But we trust Keenum in this regard except on Cohen??

If we got Theo Epstein as our AD, half the board would be upset it wasn't someone with college experience

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Butch Thompson would be a serious option, but I think he will be #3 or #4 on the list. Cohen will still have a presence in the program to say the least. Hire Butch as HC, go get the best hitting coach money can buy and make him Associate HC, with Cohen as a sort of mentor to look to.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it play out this way if we miss on a few bigger names. Baseball and Basketball will be fine with Cohen as AD, the first big question for Cohen will be what does he do with Mullen? I have a feeling that that question will already be internally answered if/when Cohen is hired as AD.

That's a horseshit scenario. Oh and Cohen and Dan were friends so we can go ahead and ruin ourselves in two sports while we're at it.

Coursesuper
10-11-2016, 04:55 PM
If that comes to pass it is a very unimpressive change, nothing for the better comes out of this.

Taog Redloh
10-11-2016, 04:55 PM

Not to mention that he will still be very involved in the baseball program. I mean, think about it. He's still involved with it, but his meddling is removed from the gameday coaching. Win Win right?

Sort of like Bill Parcells, Cohen is just one of those guys who's presence helps success come.

DeviousDawg
10-11-2016, 05:02 PM
That's a horseshit scenario. Oh and Cohen and Dan were friends so we can go ahead and ruin ourselves in two sports while we're at it.

I've casually noticed that you want to act like you know a lot more about baseball than you actually do. I respect your love for the game and like to read your baseball recaps, but sometimes you just talk out of your ass.

Butch will not be the first choice, but you have to be an idiot with no foresight to not like him as a candidate. He is one of the best recruiters and pitching coaches in the country, with years of experience at Mississippi State as a coach and a recruiter, as well as good relationships with current players. If Cohen moves to AD and you don't want our baseball program to take any kind of step back, Butch Thompson is your guy. He's not the sexiest hire, and as I have said there will be bigger names ahead of him, but if it does happen I will be pleased, considering the circumstances.

War Machine Dawg
10-11-2016, 05:04 PM
Is the "search firm" Larry Templeton? Cohen to AD is an LT quality decision. An athletic department is a business nowadays. We need someone with business experience. I'll give Cohen a fair chance to prove he's capable, but anyone with a functioning brain should be skeptical if this indeed happens. This just reeks of classic Em Ess Yoo inbreeding. And that's worked out SO well for us in our history.******

MarketingBully
10-11-2016, 05:06 PM
What is wrong with Cohen? If we get some up and comer AD from a small school, they will bolt the first chance they get. I think Cohen is an intriguing choice in the fact that he is driven by winning and a loyal guy who is definitely not going to bolt. There are also great examples of successful college baseball coaches becoming great ADs including one of the best all time in Skip Bertman.

civildawg
10-11-2016, 05:09 PM
Because cohen has never managed a 100 million dollar school. If he wants to be AD so bad, go cut your teeth at a smaller school. We are in the freaking SEC with a 100 million dollar athletic budget. We need someone experienced that knows how to manage it. Jesus you people will defend whatever move MSU does even if it is a terrible one. LT hire describes it perfectly.

Coursesuper
10-11-2016, 05:09 PM
What the hiring of John Cohen as AD would mean to me is that out university cares so little about athletics and is so lazy that they wouldn't take the time and put forth the effort to hire a trained professional to a job they have been grooming themselves to for once they decided to go into athletics administration. This smacks of the back door politics that gave us the Shira, Charlie Scott, LT years so we will reap what we sow on this one.

War Machine Dawg
10-11-2016, 05:11 PM
What is wrong with Cohen? If we get some up and comer AD from a small school, they will bolt the first chance they get. I think Cohen is an intriguing choice in the fact that he is driven by winning and a loyal guy who is definitely not going to bolt. There are also great examples of successful college baseball coaches becoming great ADs including one of the best all time in Skip Bertman.

They'll bolt? Where? In case you haven't noticed, we're one of the "haves" in college athletics now. We are a $100M annual budget SEC athletic department. There isn't much going "up" from there. Maybe you missed the reports that there are some serious "name" ADs who want our job. Name the last time that was the case for us. Ditch the MSU PTSD and understand we are a desirable destination now.

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 05:11 PM
I've casually noticed that you want to act like you know a lot more about baseball than you actually do. I respect your love for the game and like to read your baseball recaps, but sometimes you just talk out of your ass.

Butch will not be the first choice, but you have to be an idiot with no foresight to not like him as a candidate. He is one of the best recruiters and pitching coaches in the country, with years of experience at Mississippi State as a coach and a recruiter, as well as good relationships with current players. If Cohen moves to AD and you don't want our baseball program to take any kind of step back, Butch Thompson is your guy. He's not the sexiest hire, and as I have said there will be bigger names ahead of him, but if it does happen I will be pleased, considering the circumstances.

And I casually noticed that you said that Cohen's replacement would be a home run hire. And then you mention a coach who isn't as good as Cohen. And then you are trying to blow sunshine up everyone's skirts like this is the best thing ever. And yes I did notice that you said that he would be our fourth choice.

I'm calling a spade a spade. If we have AD candidates that are experienced there is no reason to take a chance on Cohen. If you think that's awesome your wrong. It's a big mistake. And it will hurts across the board in all sports.

Butch Thompson = Pat McMahon 2.0

MarketingBully
10-11-2016, 05:12 PM
Is the "search firm" Larry Templeton? Cohen to AD is an LT quality decision. An athletic department is a business nowadays. We need someone with business experience. I'll give Cohen a fair chance to prove he's capable, but anyone with a functioning brain should be skeptical if this indeed happens. This just reeks of classic Em Ess Yoo inbreeding. And that's worked out SO well for us in our history.******

I guess you don't mind our AD job being viewed nationally as a stepping stone where we take one step forward and two steps back. As much as people say they like Byrne, he left us what in two years or so? Stricklin left us and he's a freaking MSU grad and we even were close to matching what Florida offered. I don't like the perception of being a stepping stone job. I like the idea of Cohen especially if he brings in a very big splash baseball hire to replace him.

msstate7
10-11-2016, 05:14 PM
They'll bolt? Where? In case you haven't noticed, we're one of the "haves" in college athletics now. We are a $100M annual budget SEC athletic department. There isn't much going "up" from there. Maybe you missed the reports that there are some serious "name" ADs who want our job. Name the last time that was the case for us. Ditch the MSU PTSD and understand we are a desirable destination now.

One of our own just left the job

MarketingBully
10-11-2016, 05:14 PM

Why did our own alumnus leave us high and dry in the middle of the school year? What kind of precedent does that set?

basedog
10-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Moves like this are why our athletic department is near the bottom of the SEC historically speaking. Lazy hire if true.

So you are saying Cohen is not a good hire? How in the hell would you know, if Keenum approves of the hire are you saying he is lazy and he is crazy.

Damn, I suppose you and others sit in on the process and know whats best.

Taog Redloh
10-11-2016, 05:22 PM
Do you all (not DeviousDawg) really think Mark Keenum does not know what he is doing?

The guy knows his stuff. If he says Cohen is the guy then Cohen is damn sure the guy, and all of you are still idiots for questioning it.

DeviousDawg

For the 10th time, Cohen will not be exclusively in charge of the business side of things. We will hire him as an ATHLETIC director, not a Business/marketing/fundraising director. Do you honestly think our $100 Million will be stashed behind Cohen's desk in a lock box that only he can open? He doesn't want to deal with the money or fundraising, he wants to be the boss and mentor for our athletic coaches.

Fundraising and marketing is not the exclusive job on the athletic director, the AD's Job is to OK the marketing and fundraising plans, while being a leader to our athletic coaches.

What's the best way to be successful in marketing and fundraising? To be successful and win games in our various sports, not coming up with gimmicks like #hailstate. Cohen will not accept mediocrity in any sports and will push our coaches to be winners or push them out of their job. That is what we need right now, a 17ing leader who wants to win and is not our football coaches little bitch. I'll take a true leader with actual athletic coaching experience over a glorified dufus marketing director any day.

An athletic department becomes successful when it's results sell itself, not the other way around.

Taog Redloh

LOLZZZ

MarketingBully
10-11-2016, 05:26 PM
So you are saying Cohen is not a good hire? How in the hell would you know, if Keenum approves of the hire are you saying he is lazy and he is crazy.

Yep, I agree. Also, how the hell would a Cohen hire be similar to Larry Templeton? Templeton had a lot more in common with Stricklin then he would Cohen. As the AD, you need to be really detail oriented and Cohen has that in spades. He should have a great repor with coaches since he is one. The more I think of it the more interesting it sounds.

gtowndawg
10-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Cohen will not accept mediocrity in any sports and will push our coaches to be winners or push them out of their job. That is what we need right now, a 17ing leader who wants to win.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/nyep.gif

DeviousDawg
10-11-2016, 05:31 PM
And I casually noticed that you said that Cohen's replacement would be a home run hire. And then you mention a coach who isn't as good as Cohen. And then you are trying to blow sunshine up everyone's skirts like this is the best thing ever. And yes I did notice that you said that he would be our fourth choice.

I'm calling a spade a spade. If we have AD candidates that are experienced there is no reason to take a chance on Cohen. If you think that's awesome your wrong. It's a big mistake. And it will hurts across the board in all sports.

Butch Thompson = Pat McMahon 2.0

My point was, I am hearing that we will make a homerun hire as Cohen's replacement, BUT if for some reason we miss on the bigger names, we will be able to hire a current SEC west head coach, who is an elite recruiter and pitching coach with experience recruiting and coaching at MSU as well as experience working under our AD(Cohen).

Some of the other names being thrown around are much more impressive than Butch, but personally I would be pleased with Butch. Obviously we disagree on that.

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 05:31 PM

Hell yes I'm saying it wouldn't be a good hire. How do you know he would be good? He had zero experience and the other two former baseball coaches turned AD's didn't turn out well for LSU or South Carolina so based on that there is more evidence suggesting it won't work out than there is that it will.

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 05:34 PM
My point was, I am hearing that we will make a homerun hire as Cohen's replacement, BUT if for some reason we miss on the bigger names, we will be able to hire a current SEC west head coach, who is an elite recruiter and pitching coach with experience recruiting and coaching at MSU as well as experience working under our AD(Cohen).

Some of the other names being thrown around are much more impressive than Butch, but personally I would be pleased with Butch. Obviously we disagree on that.

I'm displeased with the whole ****ing scenario. Let's take our best coach on campus who has no AD experience and "maybe" replace him with some unknown mystery hire that's a home run but if that doesn't work out we get Butch. Yay!

basedog
10-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Hell yes I'm saying it wouldn't be a good hire. How do you know he would be good? He had zero experience and the other two former baseball coaches turned AD's didn't turn out well for LSU or South Carolina so based on that there is more evidence suggesting it won't work out than there is that it will.

That's just it, I don't know. You are already saying you know it's a bad thing. Geez get back to your play station game.

Eric Nies Grind Time

Butch Thompson? That would be bad...big downgrade from Cohen.

gtowndawg

In six years as LSU's director of athletics, Bertman added to his impressive list of on-the-field achievements. Under his direction, LSU enjoyed arguably the greatest athletics year in the history of the institution in 2003–04. Three teams won national championships, nine teams finished in the nation's top ten, and fourteen teams ranked in the top 25. LSU teams also enjoyed improved grade point averages across all sports, making the LSU student-athlete experience a success on and off the fields of competition.

Bertman oversaw a massive upgrade to LSU's athletics complex throughout his tenure. Working hand in hand with the Tiger Athletic Foundation, Bertman has already helped oversee the completion of the Cox Communications Academic Center for Student-Athletes while launching renovations to Tiger Stadium and the Pete Maravich Assembly Center, the construction of a new Football Operations Center and in 2009, the opening of new stadiums for the baseball and softball teams. Construction is in progress on new practice facilities for the basketball and gymnastics teams.

Bertman also moved to implement a seat contribution program in Tiger Stadium to fund facility improvements and ensure the financial stability of the LSU Athletics Department for the next decade.

Bertman was named LSU's athletics director on January 19, 2001, responsible for an athletic budget of $52 million. He succeeded Joe Dean, a former Tiger basketball standout who held the position for 14 years.

On June 4, 2006, Bertman fired his successor as LSU's baseball coach, Raymond "Smoke" Laval, after the Tigers went 35–24 overall and 13–17 in the SEC, failing to reach the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1988. Laval led the Tigers to the College World Series in 2003 and 2004, but tailed off in his final two seasons, losing the 2005 regional championship game at home to Rice before the disastrous 2006 campaign.

Bertman speculated that he would consider a return to the dugout if he could not find a suitable candidate to replace Laval, but the job was eventually given to former Notre Dame coach Paul Mainieri. Mainieri would lead the Tigers to the 2009 College World Series championship, the sixth baseball national championship in school history and the first not won with Bertman as head coach.

Bertman presided over two football national championship seasons as athletic director. The Tigers won the 2003 BCS championship under coach Nick Saban. When Saban left at the end of the 2004 season to coach the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League, Bertman moved quickly to hire Oklahoma State coach Les Miles. Miles led LSU to a consensus national championship in 2007 despite losing triple overtime games to Kentucky and Arkansas.

Other success in Bertman's tenure included five consecutive trips to the NCAA women's basketball Final Four (2004–08) under four different coaches, an appearance in the men's basketball Final Four in 2006, a trip to the Women's College World Series in softbal in 2004, and six NCAA outdoor track championships (three men, three women).

The LSU Board of Supervisors approved Bertman's three-year contract extension. Bertman's new extension, which was approved without discussion, called for the former coach to be paid $425,000 annually beginning July 1, 2007, and ending June 30, 2010. Bertman, who served as Athletic Director since leaving his coaching position after the 2001 baseball season, stepped down in 2008 to become athletic director emeritus as dictated by his contract. As athletic director emeritus, Bertman's role primarily involved fundraising.[1]

shoeless joe
10-11-2016, 05:37 PM
I'm intrigued by Cohen as AD.

I think he would do well as the face and leader of our athletic department. The man is msu thru and thru. With that said I would absolutely hate to see him leave the dugout. I love the hard nosed way he coaches baseball...the way it was meant to be coached. I do think that approach COULD be beneficial within our athletic department.

So I'd say the only thing disappointing to me about this hire would be Cohen no longer being the baseball coach.

msstate7
10-11-2016, 05:40 PM
I'm intrigued by Cohen as AD.

I think he would do well as the face and leader of our athletic department. The man is msu thru and thru. With that said I would absolutely hate to see him leave the dugout. I love the hard nosed way he coaches baseball...the way it was meant to be coached. I do think that approach COULD be beneficial within our athletic department.

So I'd say the only thing disappointing to me about this hire would be Cohen no longer being the baseball coach.

Well couldn't cohen as AD bring that same approach to all msu sports, not just baseball?

MarketingBully
10-11-2016, 05:40 PM
In six years as LSU's director of athletics, Bertman added to his impressive list of on-the-field achievements. Under his direction, LSU enjoyed arguably the greatest athletics year in the history of the institution in 2003–04. Three teams won national championships, nine teams finished in the nation's top ten, and fourteen teams ranked in the top 25. LSU teams also enjoyed improved grade point averages across all sports, making the LSU student-athlete experience a success on and off the fields of competition.

Bertman oversaw a massive upgrade to LSU's athletics complex throughout his tenure. Working hand in hand with the Tiger Athletic Foundation, Bertman has already helped oversee the completion of the Cox Communications Academic Center for Student-Athletes while launching renovations to Tiger Stadium and the Pete Maravich Assembly Center, the construction of a new Football Operations Center and in 2009, the opening of new stadiums for the baseball and softball teams. Construction is in progress on new practice facilities for the basketball and gymnastics teams.

Bertman also moved to implement a seat contribution program in Tiger Stadium to fund facility improvements and ensure the financial stability of the LSU Athletics Department for the next decade.

Bertman was named LSU's athletics director on January 19, 2001, responsible for an athletic budget of $52 million. He succeeded Joe Dean, a former Tiger basketball standout who held the position for 14 years.

On June 4, 2006, Bertman fired his successor as LSU's baseball coach, Raymond "Smoke" Laval, after the Tigers went 35–24 overall and 13–17 in the SEC, failing to reach the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1988. Laval led the Tigers to the College World Series in 2003 and 2004, but tailed off in his final two seasons, losing the 2005 regional championship game at home to Rice before the disastrous 2006 campaign.

Bertman speculated that he would consider a return to the dugout if he could not find a suitable candidate to replace Laval, but the job was eventually given to former Notre Dame coach Paul Mainieri. Mainieri would lead the Tigers to the 2009 College World Series championship, the sixth baseball national championship in school history and the first not won with Bertman as head coach.

Bertman presided over two football national championship seasons as athletic director. The Tigers won the 2003 BCS championship under coach Nick Saban. When Saban left at the end of the 2004 season to coach the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League, Bertman moved quickly to hire Oklahoma State coach Les Miles. Miles led LSU to a consensus national championship in 2007 despite losing triple overtime games to Kentucky and Arkansas.

Other success in Bertman's tenure included five consecutive trips to the NCAA women's basketball Final Four (2004–08) under four different coaches, an appearance in the men's basketball Final Four in 2006, a trip to the Women's College World Series in softbal in 2004, and six NCAA outdoor track championships (three men, three women).

The LSU Board of Supervisors approved Bertman's three-year contract extension. Bertman's new extension, which was approved without discussion, called for the former coach to be paid $425,000 annually beginning July 1, 2007, and ending June 30, 2010. Bertman, who served as Athletic Director since leaving his coaching position after the 2001 baseball season, stepped down in 2008 to become athletic director emeritus as dictated by his contract. As athletic director emeritus, Bertman's role primarily involved fundraising.[1]

Saying Bertman was a failure as an AD Todd basically disqualifies you from this discussion. I like your commentary and usually agree with most of your points but you're just plain wrong here. You could argue that Bertman was LSU's best AD they ever had.

DeviousDawg
10-11-2016, 05:41 PM
I'm displeased with the whole ****ing scenario. Let's take our best coach on campus who has no AD experience and "maybe" replace him with some unknown mystery hire that's a home run but if that doesn't work out we get Butch. Yay!

Why don't you just let it play out? If you haven't noticed, we have some problems in the athletic department and something needs to change. Our great country has had politically focused presidents, as well as military focused presidents, and both sides have seen successes and failures. There isn't just one type of Athletic Director, and I think right now we need a coaching focused Athletic Director, who can be their leader rather than their little bitch that signs their pay raises and allows selfish coaches to run our main sport into the ground.

shoeless joe
10-11-2016, 05:42 PM
Well couldn't cohen as AD bring that same approach to all msu sports, not just baseball?

Yes. Which is why I said exactly that in the post.

Coursesuper
10-11-2016, 05:42 PM

The only things similar to LSU and MSU are we are in the SEC.

MetEdDawg
10-11-2016, 05:44 PM
This argument goes back and forth. How do you know he wouldn't be a good hire?? Mullen was never a HC before but got us to number 1. How did that happen without prior experience???

This hire will not please a lot of people unless we got one of the Top 5 ADs in the country and that isn't happening. My trust is in Keenum. I expect him to do what's in the best interest of MSU. If you think Cohen is a lazy hire you are highly overexaggerating yourself like a typical MSU fan. Would it have been lazy for Bama to replace Saban with Kirby had Saban retired?? Hell no. Quit losing our minds and calm the hell down.

msstate7
10-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Yes. Which is why I said exactly that in the post.

Haha... I completely missed that last sentence. Don't mind me... my reading comprehension sucks

dawgoneyall
10-11-2016, 05:45 PM

He is plenty smart enough for the job. His take no prisoners attitude might work as AD. I don't think he would take any BS from the bearsharks.

gtowndawg
10-11-2016, 05:50 PM
The only things similar to LSU and MSU are we are in the SEC.

I don't think anyone is saying we would see similar results. However, saying Bertman was a bad AD for LSU is suspect at best. That's the point.

DeviousDawg
10-11-2016, 05:50 PM
I guess our country is screwed, because every time we elect a new president they have never had any experience as president!!!****

If you don't think that Cohen has gained endless knowledge on how an athletic department works during his tenure here, then you are just illogical. We wouldn't even be discussing this if the people that we trust to run our university, didn't trust Cohen to run our University's athletics.

DeviousDawg
10-11-2016, 05:54 PM
I don't think anyone is saying we would see similar results. However, saying Bertman was a bad AD for LSU is suspect at best. That's the point.

It's too small of a sample size to make a true conclusion. Y'all are comparing them because of their past jobs not comparing them as people. I guess Hilary Clinton is going to be a great president because Thomas Jefferson was Secretary of State before he became president.

Coursesuper
10-11-2016, 05:55 PM

I'm saying it's apples and oranges. It's not even a parallel comparison. The only things the same are they were and are now baseball coaches and the schools are in the SEC. The situations couldn't be anymore different.

Commercecomet24
10-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Cohen may well become AD but as of today and last week he's telling recruits not to believe the rumors. Fwiw

messageboardsuperhero
10-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Not saying Cohen would be my #1 guy, but let's not act like he is totally unqualified either. The guy has a masters in sports administration (or something similar), and has been involved in many of our coaching hires (including being one of the administrators who interviewed Mullen). He is associate AD and had more departmental responsibilities than your average baseball coach. Finally, he cares VERY much about his alma mater. He understands what coaches need to win and will do everything in his power to get it to them- at the same time he will not tolerate failure out of his coaches and is scared of no one.

We could get someone more proven but we could also do much worse. If Cohen is the guy, let's not write him off before giving him a chance.

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 06:03 PM
That's just it, I don't know. You are already saying you know it's a bad thing. Geez get back to your play station game.

But here's the thing IF we have experienced AD's that are KNOWN to be good candidates why take the chance on the unknown? And then possibly burn the baseball program in the process?

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 06:07 PM
I guess our country is screwed, because every time we elect a new president they have never had any experience as president!!!****

If you don't think that Cohen has gained endless knowledge on how an athletic department works during his tenure here, then you are just illogical. We wouldn't even be discussing this if the people that we trust to run our university, didn't trust Cohen to run our University's athletics.

There are people with Presidential experience that are options for us to elect as President in the first place? Apples and oranges.

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 06:11 PM
This argument goes back and forth. How do you know he wouldn't be a good hire?? Mullen was never a HC before but got us to number 1. How did that happen without prior experience???

This hire will not please a lot of people unless we got one of the Top 5 ADs in the country and that isn't happening. My trust is in Keenum. I expect him to do what's in the best interest of MSU. If you think Cohen is a lazy hire you are highly overexaggerating yourself like a typical MSU fan. Would it have been lazy for Bama to replace Saban with Kirby had Saban retired?? Hell no. Quit losing our minds and calm the hell down.

I'd take an AD from the MAC

GTHOM
10-11-2016, 06:11 PM
It's funny that pretty much every one here is in agreement that keenum will make the right decision about Mullen and even hiring a HC if necessary, but the same ones don't trust keenum's judgement about the AD job.

Hiring our baseball coach to be our AD would be about as shitty as job whoring, having a general i dont care give me my money attitude, and the same repeated ignorant and non creative personnel and playcalls every game. Can we agree? Its not that I dont think Cohen could do it, he's a state guy and he will ''think outside the box'' like some of yall say. I just dont wanna lose him as our baseball coach unless we got a hell of a coach to replace him. He'd tell Mullen to **** off in a heartbeat

Commercecomet24
10-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Cohen is a winner and I have no doubt he would be extremely successful as our AD. That being said I want him to stay in the dugout and lead our baseball team. From what I'm hearing he wants to win a national championship before he's willing to take an AD job, but we all know things can change quickly.

DeviousDawg
10-11-2016, 06:14 PM
But here's the thing IF we have experienced AD's that are KNOWN to be good candidates why take the chance on the unknown? And then possibly burn the baseball program in the process?

If the accounting department head for a company is promoted to CEO, would you expect the accounting departments performance to improve or get worse? Not only is the new CEO an expert in accounting, but also because of that he has the ability to go find one of the best accountants in the country to work under and replace him as the accounting department head.

Baseball will be fine, Cohen will not let his expertise, who he played and coached for, go to shit. If anything I would expect baseball to improve. We will get a top tier coach with Butch Thompson as our last resort, baseball will be fine.

RocketDawg
10-11-2016, 06:17 PM

I've never been all that impressed with Keenum. He's no Zacharias.

Dawgtini
10-11-2016, 06:17 PM

Preach it. Mob mentality is mental.

MetEdDawg
10-11-2016, 06:19 PM
I'd take an AD from the MAC

You must really not like Cohen them. He's had numerous responsibilities as an associate AD and does have an educational background. We want someone loyal to MSU that will look out for the best interest of MSU 100%. There is zero question in my mind Cohen would do that.

DeviousDawg
10-11-2016, 06:24 PM
There are people with Presidential experience that are options for us to elect as President in the first place? Apples and oranges.

You missed my point Todd. We have never had a president with previous experience as president, and we are (arguably) the best country in the world. Cohen has athletic department experience, just like any presidential candidate(minus trump) has political experience.

When people say they would rather have a MAC AD then Cohen, that's like saying they would rather have the governer of Montana become president rather than the US Secretary of State. Just because you can run a state does not mean you can run a country. I'm fine with the Secretary of State, who has experience helping run a country, be the president over a small State's governor. There are good points on both sides, but to claim Cohen incompetent is premature and ignorant. I'm just passing on what I heard, not making the decision.

RocketDawg
10-11-2016, 06:25 PM

I don't have any real objection to Cohen being AD, but I like what he's doing as baseball coach. Not only that, he just "looks" like a baseball man ... whatever that means. That said, as AD will he still be more interested in baseball than football and basketball? Might be hard to make that switch.

BankerDog
10-11-2016, 06:44 PM
Todd, I think you should wait until we need a new Band Director to chime in.

Spiderman
10-11-2016, 06:52 PM
If Cohen gets AD, I'm in noway worried about getting a great hire for baseball.

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 06:53 PM
You missed my point Todd. We have never had a president with previous experience as president, and we are (arguably) the best country in the world. Cohen has athletic department experience, just like any presidential candidate(minus trump) has political experience.

When people say they would rather have a MAC AD then Cohen, that's like saying they would rather have the governer of Montana become president rather than the US Secretary of State. Just because you can run a state does not mean you can run a country. I'm fine with the Secretary of State, who has experience helping run a country, be the president over a small State's governor. There are good points on both sides, but to claim Cohen incompetent is premature and ignorant. I'm just passing on what I heard, not making the decision.

The big problem with your analogy is being the baseball coach at a school is no where near the equivalent of being Secretary of State. Not even close. It would be more like the MAC guy being the Governor of Montana vs some random person that works as an lobbyist.

HSVDawg
10-11-2016, 06:56 PM

The problem with your statement is the stuff you want his staff to handle is 90% of what an AD's job is. Everyone gets a hard-on thinking about Cohen applying his no-nonsense approach from the diamond to hiring / firing and performance assessment of coaches. But the truth is that the boosters, big donors, and in some cases the university president will always be the ones doing the heavy lifting there. Fundraising, marketing, and guiding facilities upgrades are the vast majority of an AD's function in modern athletic departments. Those are all areas in which Cohen has next to no experience.

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Todd, I think you should wait until we need a new Band Director to chime in.

Yeah because I've been way off on our personnel decisions lately.**

Like when I said Raffo was average and we should hire Cohen. Or that it would be best for us if Dan left last November. And actually to be a total smartass about it I'd probably pick a damn good band director if they asked me about that too.

Cohen might work out- but the odds aren't in our favor. Nor are they in our favor of making a better hire in baseball if we're being honest.

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 06:57 PM
The problem with your statement is the stuff you want his staff to handle is 90% of what an AD's job is. Everyone gets a hard-on thinking about Cohen applying his no-nonsense approach from the diamond to hiring / firing and performance assessment of coaches. But the truth is that the boosters, big donors, and in some cases the university president will always be the ones doing the heavy lifting there. Fundraising, marketing, and guiding facilities upgrades are the vast majority of an AD's function in modern athletic departments. Those are all areas in which Cohen has next to no experience.

But that would be like the Governor of Montana...

EngDawg
10-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Cohen is a risky hire. He might excell, and he might bungle the whole thing.

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 07:02 PM
Cohen is a risky hire. He might excell, and he might bungle the whole thing.

What I think would happen is the people on marketing and all of the things he doesn't know how to do would take it easy and be substandard because he wouldn't know how to push them.

DeviousDawg
10-11-2016, 07:13 PM
The big problem with your analogy is being the baseball coach at a school is no where near the equivalent of being Secretary of State. Not even close. It would be more like the MAC guy being the Governor of Montana vs some random person that works as an lobbyist.

Lobbyist directly help the president choose the Supreme Court? News to me, also I didn't know that one individual lobbyist is in charge of one of the three main branches of the government.

Cohen did help with the hire of Mullen, and he is in charge of one of our 3 main sports. If my analogy was weak, your comeback was Brandon Holloway.

BayouDawg
10-11-2016, 07:17 PM
I may could be convinced about Cohen, but there is one small thing that I can't get past. I know exactly who is pushing for this and that would be the nutless coward stricklin. I don't want that brown nosing weasel having any input whatsoever on who gets the job. He enabled the the situation we are in now and bailed to save his own skin.

ILOATHEBears
10-11-2016, 07:21 PM

Mullen has already been told this is his last year and we already have a man ready to take over

Saltydog
10-11-2016, 07:24 PM
was not a serious candidate. Went on to say that they are pursuing "experienced" candidates and we would probably start hearing some names leaked in the next week to ten days and that a hire would be made by the end of the month.

msstate7
10-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Mullen has already been told this is his last year and we already have a man ready to take over

SMH... we have no AD, but we've already done that?

msstate7
10-11-2016, 07:30 PM
was not a serious candidate. Went on to say that they are pursuing "experienced" candidates and we would probably start hearing some names leaked in the next week to ten days and that a hire would be made by the end of the month.

If Cohen is truly pursing the job, I can't imagine anyone in the know telling a member of the press Cohen isn't a serious candidate. That'd be a good way to really piss off our very good baseball coach

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 07:32 PM
Lobbyist directly help the president choose the Supreme Court? News to me, also I didn't know that one individual lobbyist is in charge of one of the three main branches of the government.

Cohen did help with the hire of Mullen, and he is in charge of one of our 3 main sports. If my analogy was weak, your comeback was Brandon Holloway.

The point was that being a baseball coach and an AD are apples and oranges. And your comparisons are weak because last time I checked we didn't get to vote in who the AD was.

In most non-elected official jobs experience is preferred. If you think running an AD in the MAC is the same as someone sitting on a hiring committee I don't know what to tell you.

preachermatt83
10-11-2016, 07:33 PM
If it is Cohen then he is flat out lying to recruits and recruits parents. Not saying that's not the case but I highly doubt it. IF Cohen were to get the job, he is friends with a current OUTSTANDING coach from the big 12 and that would be the first offer made I bet.

Spiderman
10-11-2016, 07:33 PM

OMG. Please, please tell us you forgt the sarcasticks

DeviousDawg
10-11-2016, 07:36 PM

Whether he gets the job or not, he is without a doubt the leading candidate right now. Things like this don't just come up out of nowhere...

CadaverDawg
10-11-2016, 07:51 PM

Yep.

All these people are freaking out like they KNOW Cohen would be a bad hire. He likely wouldn't be, but nobody knows. Besides, none of us know a damn thing about hiring an AD. Saying Cohen is a "lazy" choice, or "I'm done if we hire Cohen", is just so damn ridiculous. From a fans perspective, Cohen has everything I want in an AD....involved in all sports on campus, smart guy, knows how to raise funds, knows how to recruit and how important recruiting is in all sports, and wants MSU to win Championships. Plus, nobody walks on Cohen like they do Stricklin.

To anyone saying John's a terrible hire, give me YOUR short list for AD and what makes them the guy for the job. I'll hang up and listen.

Intramural All-American
10-11-2016, 08:09 PM
As I said the other day, Cohen is most definitely a very serious candidate. I'll say this, those expecting to get a big time head coach to replace him if he gets it, should hold your horses. He has people that he likes that are assistant coaches now. You're not going to hire a head coach away from a school at this point in the game. Fall ball has already started, so expect an assistant coach. If it's the name I have heard, we may have an all-new coaching staff in a matter of the next couple weeks. Again, this all depends on if Cohen gets it, which is a good chance but not a sure thing.

bluelightstar
10-11-2016, 08:12 PM
The real message of this thread is that nobody knows what's going on. "People in the know say no chance" vs. "He's basically already hired."

msstate7
10-11-2016, 08:14 PM
Yep.

All these people are freaking out like they KNOW Cohen would be a bad hire. He likely wouldn't be, but nobody knows. Besides, none of us know a damn thing about hiring an AD. Saying Cohen is a "lazy" choice, or "I'm done if we hire Cohen", is just so damn ridiculous. From a fans perspective, Cohen has everything I want in an AD....involved in all sports on campus, smart guy, knows how to raise funds, knows how to recruit and how important recruiting is in all sports, and wants MSU to win Championships. Plus, nobody walks on Cohen like they do Stricklin.

To anyone saying John's a terrible hire, give me YOUR short list for AD and what makes them the guy for the job. I'll hang up and listen.

Warde Manuel (AD for Michigan)... I want a proven AD and he can bring harbaugh as football coach. We're SEC, so warde will walk to Mississippi to have this huge opportunity.

Yeah, I'm playing

yjnkdawg
10-11-2016, 08:50 PM
I am putting my confidence in Dr. Mark Keenum's decision on this. I think he probably knows what best for our university and our athletic department, and he is very passionate in wanting MSU to succeed in all things at the greatest level it can be.

bulldogcountry1
10-11-2016, 09:04 PM
I really have no idea about how Cohen would do as AD. I'm selfishly worried about baseball.

But it's the money issue that doesn't make sense to me. So we couldn't/wouldn't pay Stricklin 1.2 mil, but we are going to promote our baseball HC who makes near that much...and then make a HR hire that would demand over a mil?

Am I missing something?

yjnkdawg
10-11-2016, 09:12 PM
I really have no idea about how Cohen would do as AD. I'm selfishly worried about baseball.

But it's the money issue that doesn't make sense to me. So we couldn't/wouldn't pay Stricklin 1.2 mil, but we are going to promote our baseball HC who makes near that much...and then make a HR hire that would demand over a mil?

Am I missing something?

Don't think money had any bearing on Stricklin deciding to take the FL AD position.

Homedawg
10-11-2016, 09:22 PM
If it is Cohen then he is flat out lying to recruits and recruits parents. Not saying that's not the case but I highly doubt it. IF Cohen were to get the job, he is friends with a current OUTSTANDING coach from the big 12 and that would be the first offer made I bet.

Orgeron. Nothing else needs to be said. Period.

preachermatt83
10-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Orgeron. Nothing else needs to be said. Period.

Arr arr rawrr ar rawr ....Baseball

Maroons
10-11-2016, 09:46 PM
An athletic department becomes successful when it's results sell itself, not the other way around.

Like #1 in football and a national championship appearance in baseball?

AlSwearengen
10-11-2016, 09:50 PM
As I said the other day, Cohen is most definitely a very serious candidate. I'll say this, those expecting to get a big time head coach to replace him if he gets it, should hold your horses. He has people that he likes that are assistant coaches now. You're not going to hire a head coach away from a school at this point in the game. Fall ball has already started, so expect an assistant coach. If it's the name I have heard, we may have an all-new coaching staff in a matter of the next couple weeks. Again, this all depends on if Cohen gets it, which is a good chance but not a sure thing.

If someone other than Cohen gets it, I want you to tell us the name you have heard. And I don't want Butch.

RezDog7
10-11-2016, 10:08 PM
I would be fine with Cohen as AD for all the positive reasons pointed out so far. I have made hiring decisions in my company and often times the current employee who has worked their tale off is much better than the outsider with more experience because they want to succeed for your company first, not necessarily just for themselves.

Percho
10-11-2016, 10:19 PM

I guess we could take the, "left over," at the end of November for our AD***

Intramural All-American
10-11-2016, 10:26 PM
If someone other than Cohen gets it, I want you to tell us the name you have heard. And I don't want Butch.

Deal. And if he does get it, I'll let you know once the hire is made if it is who I had heard or not too. I've heard not Butch and not Burroughs though.

Todd4State
10-12-2016, 02:46 AM

An assistant coach? A whole new coaching staff? Right before college baseball NSD?

What a nightmare.

I do agree with you that if Cohen becomes the AD we won?t get near the ?home run? hire that some people in this thread have predicted we would get. And I would guess that Butch is probably on the higher end of who we probably could get.

And last time we had a head coach at MSU with no college head coaching experience? Try 1975. Jimmy Bragan.

bulldogcountry1
10-12-2016, 07:18 AM
There's no way this ends well.

If Cohen gets AD, then there's any number of disasters that could happen. Most have been mentioned already.

If he doesn't get it, is he going to pout like Mullen? The fact that he even wants it at his age tells me he isn't 100% happy with his dream job.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2016, 09:03 AM
Don't think money had any bearing on Stricklin deciding to take the FL AD position.

My source on this, and it's a decent one, said we offered up to 1 million for 4 years, the maximum time allowed under state law. Florida offered 1.5 for 5 years. That's a 4 million dollar contract vs a 7.5 million dollar one. That's a no brainer for anyone and it was all about money.

Same source says that the preference going into the search is for a sitting AD. He said that that doesn't mean Cohen won't get it if he actually wants it, just that he will have to overcome that preference. My source says it could happen but it's a long shot.

Political Hack
10-12-2016, 09:24 AM
I might as well go buy a damn Bama shirt and be done with it.

I'll meet you at Wal-Mart. Save me an XL if you get there before I do. There's going to be a rush on Bama gear across Mississippi.

WSOPdawg
10-12-2016, 09:40 AM
I've never been all that impressed with Keenum. He's no Zacharias.

Sorry RocketDawg, but Keenum's blood runs "true maroon," as did Zacharias'.

Portera, on the other hand, was not of MSU bloodlines and had no allegiance to the university other than what was required to draw a paycheck (hence he left) and now we've got a significant upgrade to someone who is loyal.

Two weeks ago, Nobody blamed Stricklin for his decision because of the salary upgrade he was getting. He could have just as easily had a change of heart and decided to stay with his alma mater, but no. Cohen and his intensity could be very useful when lighting a fire under coaches and holding them to account when needed, and we know he bleeds maroon.

Tripp McNeely
10-12-2016, 10:11 AM
I'll meet you at Wal-Mart. Save me an XL if you get there before I do. There's going to be a rush on Bama gear across Mississippi.

This dude seemed to do okay with the job and he was JUST AS qualified as Cohen. LSU actually became the LSU we know today during his tenure https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_Bertman

Really Clark?
10-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Around 20% of all AD's have ever been a coach. Not a head coach but a coach period. The business has changed a lot and that path as an AD, not a great AD but just to get the job, is diminishing. Now there have been a few really good ones still in the last decade or so. Alverez has done a really good job at Wisconsin. (Although being wrapped up in the Sapario Ponzi scheme to the tune of $600,000 was a concern). Yow was a former coach that has had a long career as an AD as well. Bergman did well. There have been several who have not done well. But the vast majority are coaches who had been coaching for a long time and had been involved with the AD office for a long time as well. Yow spent 5 years at Florida as an assistant AD before getting her first AD job and didn't coach during that time. I can't think of one who actually left in the middle of their prime coaching career to become AD. Its just really concerning to me. You look at guys like Rob Mullen s at Oregon whose background is accounting, auditing, deputy director of athletics at Kentucky. Or ex-CEO types like the guy replaced or the Michigan AD. Bellotti tried it for a year and he had rough go of it with some off the field issues and firing of the longtime basketball coach that was somewhat of a split and the passion to be involved with his sport caused him to resign after just a year. And Bellotti had been groomed for a year or a little more to take over when Kilkenny retired. I just have reservations that this would be a good move for either Cohen or the athletic department.

bhamdawgfan
10-12-2016, 11:17 AM
Deal. And if he does get it, I'll let you know once the hire is made if it is who I had heard or not too. I've heard not Butch and not Burroughs though.

Looks like he got it. Why not tell us who you've heard?

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2016, 11:18 AM
Looks like Cohen got it....,.

.../

We don't post links to the CL

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-12-2016, 11:25 AM
You were saying?

DawgFromOxford
10-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Don't expect Mullen to get shown the door. He and Cohen are pretty good friends. Not saying it couldn't happen, I just wouldn't bet on it.

louisvilledawg
10-12-2016, 11:35 AM
If this happens, I am giving up on the university as a whole. To me, that's just nothing more than laziness.

Don't let the door hit you in the ****** on the way out

Bama_Dawg
10-12-2016, 12:18 PM
The more it gets discussed, the more I'm not totally opposed to Cohen running the show. If he does get the position, he has to replace himself, and he knows that one hire has to be a home run for sure. If he can't hire a baseball coach, then the whole department looks bad. Lots of pressure, right off the bat.

I hope he steps up to the plate and knocks it out...instead of bunting.

louisvilledawg
10-12-2016, 12:34 PM
The more it gets discussed, the more I'm not totally opposed to Cohen running the show. If he does get the position, he has to replace himself, and he knows that one hire has to be a home run for sure. If he can't hire a baseball coach, then the whole department looks bad. Lots of pressure, right off the bat.

I hope he steps up to the plate and knocks it out...instead of bunting.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Hij7UkcNI0w/T5AoQdNllAI/AAAAAAAAAtI/3HqGuxL6d4E/s1600/ba-dum-tss-animated.gif

AusTexDawg
10-12-2016, 03:43 PM
We have never had a president with previous experience as president...

^Not so fast, my friend - Grover Cleveland (https://www.whitehouse.gov/1600/presidents/grovercleveland22).