PDA

View Full Version : So... A question

Red Sox Dawg
10-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Who does Sexton represent that would want to be a Head Coach at State and would be a good candidate?
A win win win would be Sexton moving Mullen somewhere else and a good candidate that he represents would want to come to State and would be an acceptable candidate to everyone. He would basically broker both deals. Mullin wins, Sexton wins, MSU wins. That's the best situation possible. Anyone know who he represents that fits what we would look for?

Really Clark?
10-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Who does Sexton represent that would want to be a Head Coach at State and would be a good candidate?
A win win win would be Sexton moving Mullen somewhere else and a good candidate that he represents would want to come to State and would be an acceptable candidate to everyone. He would basically broker both deals. Mullin wins, Sexton wins, MSU wins. That's the best situation possible. Anyone know who he represents that fits what we would look for?

I think it's more of who doesn't he represent. Here is an example, he was on both sides of the firing of Muschamp and hiring of McElwain, which was a fairly complex deal and Florida had to throw in a future game with Colorado St to make the buyout work.

Red Sox Dawg
10-10-2016, 07:13 PM
I could see a buyout negotiation happening if the deal was a good one for everyone.

yjnkdawg
10-10-2016, 07:34 PM
I think it's more of who doesn't he represent. Here is an example, he was on both sides of the firing of Muschamp and hiring of McElwain, which was a fairly complex deal and Florida had to throw in a future game with Colorado St to make the buyout work.

Another example was Sexton is Will Muschamp's agent. When Muschamp was fired at FL, Sexton was also representing the coach up north at "Mistake U" who was supposed to have been offered the Fl job. Sexton was Freeze's agent and got him that big pay increase.

BayouDawg
10-10-2016, 07:39 PM
I don't know who his agent is, but I am becoming intrigued with willie fritz. He's won everywhere he's been and we already have the players to run his offense. I'm going to their game on Friday to get a first hand look.

I seen it dawg
10-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Gary Patterson?

mic
10-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Gary Patterson?

Christmas come early....

BayouDawg
10-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Gary Patterson?

I'd be on board with that

Red Sox Dawg
10-10-2016, 08:03 PM
That would for sure have to be brokered ahead of time.

Really Clark?
10-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Gary Patterson?

Just signed an extension in August for $4.7 MIL per through 2022. Bonus money could take him over $5 MIL. To the match the deal we would have to go over $7 MIL per year. Just to match.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 09:25 PM
Just signed an extension in August for $4.7 MIL per through 2022. Bonus money could take him over $5 MIL. To the match the deal we would have to go over $7 MIL per year. Just to match.

Even if he hadn't signed that contract, why would he leave tcu to come here? TCU is in the Dallas area which makes it a superior place to live and certainly recruit. Tcu is in a power 5 conference.

JoseBrown
10-10-2016, 09:31 PM
Even if he hadn't signed that contract, why would he leave tcu to come here? TCU is in the Dallas area which makes it a superior place to live and certainly recruit. Tcu is in a power 5 conference.

Plus he can go see Dak play whenever he wants to pretty easy there...***

Really Clark?
10-10-2016, 09:35 PM

I agree. We are not getting a winning sitting HC from a Power 5 school. You have maybe 2-3 guys that you might would consider a move because of outside issues. But when you put some actual numbers to some of these guys then it makes people realize they are not as affordable as some believe. Like Fedora. He has 6 years of his 7 year deal remaining that with a total package that's something like $3.5 MIL per year. We would have to go $5.25 per year just to match. He is not picking up the phone for a matching offer from us. I think to start a conversation you have to be at $6.5 MIL per year at a min to talk to Fedora. And he still is not leaving UNC for us.

confucius say
10-10-2016, 11:27 PM
Fritz would not be an entertaining style of play, for those who care about that. What about brohm at western ky?

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 02:10 AM

Three letters: S. E. C.

With as much as these coaches are paid and today's society and modern travel he could very easily "work" in Starkville and live in Dallas or wherever he chooses to live. Ask Ben Howland.

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 02:11 AM

For that kind of a coach I would be fine with MSU paying for that.

Todd4State
10-11-2016, 02:18 AM
Fritz would not be an entertaining style of play, for those who care about that. What about brohm at western ky?

My concern about an triple option guy is unfortunately because their style doesn't translate to the NFL as well at some positions it makes recruiting a lot more difficult on the offensive side of the ball. Especially for QB's, WR's and o-linemen. In today's football culture QB's and WR's want to throw and catch the ball. WR's especially do not want to block all the time in today's game where they're watching guys like Odell Beckham, Jr. and Julio Jones and Brown at Pittsburgh. The other thing I don't care for is you almost have to have two or three QB's to get through the season because the QB takes such a pounding- see Sleepy Robinson. Relf got beat up some too and we threw the ball a lot more than a team like Georgia Tech.

And then there is the fact that it's hard to come from behind a lot of times for those teams because they're so geared to be run first if you make them throw it's not something that they want to do.

I think a guy like Brohm would be a home run hire for us. I think Scott Frost would be pretty good too- they run an offense very similar to what Dan ran early on at MSU but his QB coach is a Bill Walsh and Terry Shea disciple.

Really Clark?
10-11-2016, 08:01 AM
For that kind of a coach I would be fine with MSU paying for that.

You wouldn't be paying that though. That was just to match. He is not leaving to come here for matching salary. Would take $8.5-9 MIL to have a conversation. And he still is not leaving for a tougher place to win than TCU. LSU maybe could pull him

Homedawg
10-11-2016, 08:23 AM

With as much as these coaches are paid and today's society and modern travel he could very easily "work" in Starkville and live in Dallas or wherever he chooses to live. Ask Ben Howland.

No. Just no. We are the 6 or 7th best job in our division. Being in the sec gets you paid for sure, but it doesn't make the jobs even close to comparable. And as for bowl and, he had been unemployed, he just needed a job. And it's easier to win here in hoops than it is in football.

BB30
10-11-2016, 09:24 AM

SEC does not mean anything. All that would mean to Gary is leaving a program he has built with built in advantages and an easier road to a NC to go to probably one of the harder jobs in the SEC West. If you are looking for a Gary type hire then I feel you will be pretty disappointed when everything plays out. Please explain to me why coming to the SEC makes our job more attractive than the TCU job he currently has.

HancockCountyDog
10-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Are we really throwing around Gary Patterson's name as a potential hire. Really?

msstate7
10-11-2016, 09:37 AM
Are we really throwing around Gary Patterson's name as a potential hire. Really?

He's ok, but I really think we should go get jim harbaugh

yjnkdawg
10-11-2016, 09:42 AM
LOL Why skimp........Go for Saban, he "de" man.

yjnkdawg
10-11-2016, 09:43 AM

They may be throwing his name around, but that's as far as that is going.

Really Clark?
10-11-2016, 09:43 AM

We are the SEC!! We get who we want!!***

confucius say
10-11-2016, 09:55 AM
My concern about an triple option guy is unfortunately because their style doesn't translate to the NFL as well at some positions it makes recruiting a lot more difficult on the offensive side of the ball. Especially for QB's, WR's and o-linemen. In today's football culture QB's and WR's want to throw and catch the ball. WR's especially do not want to block all the time in today's game where they're watching guys like Odell Beckham, Jr. and Julio Jones and Brown at Pittsburgh. The other thing I don't care for is you almost have to have two or three QB's to get through the season because the QB takes such a pounding- see Sleepy Robinson. Relf got beat up some too and we threw the ball a lot more than a team like Georgia Tech.

And then there is the fact that it's hard to come from behind a lot of times for those teams because they're so geared to be run first if you make them throw it's not something that they want to do.

I think a guy like Brohm would be a home run hire for us. I think Scott Frost would be pretty good too- they run an offense very similar to what Dan ran early on at MSU but his QB coach is a Bill Walsh and Terry Shea disciple.

Agreed.

HancockCountyDog
10-11-2016, 10:08 AM
He's ok, but I really think we should go get jim harbaugh

Finally, someone that gets it.

Tripp McNeely
10-11-2016, 11:40 AM

Do we likely have a snowballs chance...no, no...and no...but, there has been legit talk about the Big 12 not being around (or being a shell of itself) in 5 years. If Texas gets its wish and bolts, the conference will fall apart...I'd be selling that angle like crazy to Patterson and make him tell me now, which he likely would within seconds of picking up the phone...but "ya never know"

msstate7
10-11-2016, 11:44 AM
.but "ya never know"

Sometimes you do.

If we call him and asked for an interview, I wouldn't mind a bit. Lord help us though if we fire Mullen thinking we're about to get Patterson