PDA

View Full Version : Basketball 2019

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-10-2016, 03:02 PM
I don't know how many are legitimate chances but damn we going after the big fish for sure.https://s18.postimg.org/7b5dqztbd/sdas.png

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-10-2016, 03:22 PM
I don't know how many are legitimate chances but damn we going after the big fish for sure.https://s18.postimg.org/7b5dqztbd/sdas.png

Wow...did not know such a good player was coming out of Olive Branch. Hopefully we have a shot.

smootness
10-10-2016, 05:58 PM
DJ Jazzy Jeffries would be amazing.

civildawg
10-10-2016, 06:26 PM
B b but I thought we couldn't recruit to Starkville**

ScottH
10-10-2016, 06:32 PM
But we are are a developmental program. Certainly Howland knows you can't get highly rated recruits to Starkville.***

Apologies to Civiledawg - you were in first.

pilldawg
10-10-2016, 07:30 PM
But we are are a developmental program. Certainly Howland knows you can't get highly rated recruits to Starkville.***

The rest of the SEC West doesn't care about basketball like they do football. Also, 13 scholarships in basketball allows for a lot more talent to be dispersed across programs. This is why you see huge upsets in the NCAA tournament, where non ranked teams can win it all.

yjnkdawg
10-10-2016, 07:42 PM

LOL...... Howland's developmental program begins when they are 4 or 5 star players in high school.

bluelightstar
10-10-2016, 07:47 PM
The rest of the SEC West doesn't care about basketball like they do football. Also, 13 scholarships in basketball allows for a lot more talent to be dispersed across programs. This is why you see huge upsets in the NCAA tournament, where non ranked teams can win it all.

Don't think Ben Howland got that Top 5 class by just beating out Alabama for recruits**

BayouDawg
10-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Logic would tell you it's harder for us to recruit for basketball at state than even football. We are in a rural town while most top basketball players come from inner cities. This is what my pro stans buddies would tell me was the reason we could not fire stans due to him being the only person capable of getting good quality players to come to poor little starkville

messageboardsuperhero
10-10-2016, 07:51 PM

Not necessarily disagreeing with your points, but you also must admit that it is easier to attract players to the SECW in football than it is in basketball. Yes, everyone else cares a lot in football- that is both a blessing and a curse in recruiting.

There are also significantly fewer 4/5 star rated players in basketball, but that hasn't stopped howland from signing practically an entire roster of them in 18 months.

msbulldog
10-11-2016, 06:38 AM
Dammit, I wish we could do this in football.

starkvegasdawg
10-11-2016, 06:57 AM
B b but I thought we couldn't recruit to Starkville**

It's like the old Looney Tunes cartoons when two characters would run off the cliff and one wouldn't fall. He would attribute that to never having studied the law of gravity. Mullen is the one that fell because he has studied gravity. Since Howland hasn't studied gravity he thinks he can recruit elite players here and does. Thus you end up with pics like this of our football coach.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MFEeDQOmK_g/TNeJPxH0R0I/AAAAAAAABys/lzPyaDNQIf8/s1600/WileE.jpg

smootness
10-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Logic would tell you it's harder for us to recruit for basketball at state than even football. We are in a rural town while most top basketball players come from inner cities. This is what my pro stans buddies would tell me was the reason we could not fire stans due to him being the only person capable of getting good quality players to come to poor little starkville

I mean, in a lot of ways he was. It's just that Howland is a far bigger name with even more pull.

In basketball, it's all about the coach. Completely. Not that way in football. It is absolutely easier for us to recruit in basketball than in football.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-11-2016, 08:17 AM
No doubt. The top recruits are looking for coaches that have a track record of getting players to the league and in basketball you can get there in only 1 year! MUCCCCCHHHH easier to recruit for basketball with a bad ass coach.

BB30
10-11-2016, 09:15 AM
No doubt. The top recruits are looking for coaches that have a track record of getting players to the league and in basketball you can get there in only 1 year! MUCCCCCHHHH easier to recruit for basketball with a bad ass coach.

This all day long. Comparing apples to oranges. Basketball recruiting is a completely different animal than football. Most 5* basketball guys think they will be one and done lottery picks and will only be on campus for what 9 months.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-11-2016, 09:39 AM
A bear friend messaged me late last night to inform me that they are ahead of us in the recruiting rankings for basketball with the addition of some 4 star they got yesterday. I was like "Really bro, your going to go there? Congratulations on getting your first 4 star in 2 years. We will have 10+ on our roster next year." What a dumbass.