PDA

View Full Version : Juco recruiting then and now

Bodaski
10-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Jackie was able to get a lot of really good juco's when he coached because of the prop 48 rule. So many more marginal academic football players are qualifying due to high schools doing a much better job of getting these kids eligible. That reduces the number of quality HS players having to go the juco route. I would guess that 65-70-% of the jucos we recruit now were not D1 players coming out of HS. Take Rankin for example, who offered him out of HS? I'm just saying there is not close to being the talent level coming out now as it was in the early 90's, due to the changes made in our high schools.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Pierce and champion didn't qualify out of HS. We would've taken both

msstate7
10-10-2016, 01:43 PM
McPhee
Chris white
Slay
Ballard
Autry
Cox
Hutcherson
Gray
Calvin

All of these have been decent to really good players for us under Mullen from the juco ranks

msbulldog
10-10-2016, 01:45 PM
I think that some of the players coming out of Co-Lin, like Pope and Sweat can help us.

MedDawg
10-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Jackie was able to get a lot of really good juco's when he coached because of the prop 48 rule. So many more marginal academic football players are qualifying due to high schools doing a much better job of getting these kids eligible. That reduces the number of quality HS players having to go the juco route. I would guess that 65-70-% of the jucos we recruit now were not D1 players coming out of HS. Take Rankin for example, who offered him out of HS? I'm just saying there is not close to being the talent level coming out now as it was in the early 90's, due to the changes made in our high schools.

I think the JUCO players are just as good, we just have more competition now for them. Back then, Jackie Sherrill and the guy at Kansas State were the only coaches going after them. I read that Texas A&M has 5 current starters from JUCO.

Also, the SEC changed the eligibility rules so JUCO players have to take one or more additional classes to get into the SEC than they need to get into the Big12 and other conferences. We've had good JUCO players that would have come to State if it weren't for those extra classes.