PDA

View Full Version : The real reason I want Mullen gone, if you are on the fence you need to read....

HancockCountyDog
10-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Look, I could give him a pass if I Thought good times were right around the corner. Well look at the senior class coming up:

Traver "I throat slash down 30" Jung
Gabe "I make Joe Morrow look good" Myles
Donald "I'm probably the only one who cares" Gray
Jamoral "I can't cover shit" Graham
JT "I shouldn't be playing LB at 200 lbs" Gray
Dezmond "Am I still on the team" Harris
Lashard "Thank good for Smokey" Durr
Martinas "look out block" Rankin
Jordan "I will be in the NFL as an OT" Thomas

The only other senior will be Damien Williams who will most likely transfer to JSU or Tre Brown that Im guessing Mullen is redshirting, which means he is just all kinds of awesome and won't be on the team.

Nine seniors, and none of them would make ALL SEC 5th team.

This is why I am on the fire Mullen bandwagon. I would be ok with a down season, I wouldn't be happy about it, but I could deal with a team full of freshman and sophomores getting pummelled. That isn't happening this is a senior laden team that has potentially the worst senior class in 20 years coming up behind it.

In all seriousness, can anyone think of a worst senior class on paper? IT is obvious that we have major talent issues on this team and we don't have juniors on this team that are just one year away from stepping up and dominating.

NCDawg
10-10-2016, 11:12 AM
I agree. We could probably be competitive in the Sun Belt or SWAC conferences, but we haven't recruited well enough to be competitive with the top teams in the SEC.

DogsofAnarchy
10-10-2016, 11:15 AM
I understand your post although I don't trash players like you did. Some of those guys have not been put in the best position to be successful. With that said, we need a MAJOR youth movement where Dan can't say that we're "YOUNG" when we really aren't. In the SEC we can be a developmental program but we have some players that are ready right when they get here. Dan's inability to get the better talent on the field earlier is going to be his undoing. Nobody on this planet believes that our starting RB is better than the other RB's we have on this team. And we need a youth movement on the OL bad.

Look, I could give him a pass if I Thought good times were right around the corner. Well look at the senior class coming up:

Traver "I throat slash down 30" Jung
Gabe "I make Joe Morrow look good" Myles
Donald "I'm probably the only one who cares" Gray
Jamoral "I can't cover shit" Graham
JT "I shouldn't be playing LB at 200 lbs" Gray
Dezmond "Am I still on the team" Harris
Lashard "Thank good for Smokey" Durr
Martinas "look out block" Rankin
Jordan "I will be in the NFL as an OT" Thomas

The only other senior will be Damien Williams who will most likely transfer to JSU or Tre Brown that Im guessing Mullen is redshirting, which means he is just all kinds of awesome and won't be on the team.

Nine seniors, and none of them would make ALL SEC 5th team.

This is why I am on the fire Mullen bandwagon. I would be ok with a down season, I wouldn't be happy about it, but I could deal with a team full of freshman and sophomores getting pummelled. That isn't happening this is a senior laden team that has potentially the worst senior class in 20 years coming up behind it.

In all seriousness, can anyone think of a worst senior class on paper? IT is obvious that we have major talent issues on this team and we don't have juniors on this team that are just one year away from stepping up and dominating.

Coursesuper
10-10-2016, 11:19 AM
Henceforth the very heavy juco class that is lined up so far.

fishwater99
10-10-2016, 11:35 AM

Didn't work for Jackie and won't work for Mullen either.

Coursesuper
10-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Yep, grabbing at straws.

HancockCountyDog
10-10-2016, 11:40 AM

I don't speak Latin, but the problem with all jucos, regardless of how good they are, almost all of them take a half a season to be really worth anything. Look this year, Durr is average at best. Tre Brown, is he even playing or will he be the next Martinas Rankin where he redshirts and everyone talks themselves into believing he is good?

The problem going to heavy with Juco, when you run a developmental program, it creates gaps in the program. I guess he is building for 2018, but if that is the case, Im not sure he makes it.

The issue is that in year 8 of a program, when your rival had two of their worst years ever in years 2 and 3 of your tenure, and you were handed a great recruiting class when you got here, and then landed the difference maker at QB, you didn't capitalize on it. You let the bears off the mat in 2012 when you could have kept them from a bowl game, and your developmental recruiting has fallen flat.

Also, when a player throat slashes down 30 and costs our team 15 yards, I don't think Im trashing him by accurately describing what he did.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 11:43 AM

Maybe, maybe not... om got 4 starters from juco ranks in one class: Kelly, jones, Caldwell, and bridges

Indndawg
10-10-2016, 11:48 AM
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/mississippi-state/2004.html

Indndawg
10-10-2016, 11:54 AM
This.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/mississippi-state-bulldogs-team-roster?season=2002
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/mississippi-state-bulldogs-team-roster?season=2001

Bringing in a team full of JUCOs reeks of desperation. Creates dissension and fosters team disunity, plugging holes with JUCOS not a problem

msstate7
10-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Todd Monken brought in 11 JUCOs prior in his class going into '15. Usm went from 3-9 (1-7 in cusa) to 9-3 (7-1 -- division winner of cusa) as a direct result of going heavy on JUCOs

lamont
10-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Ohhhhhh nooooooo- stop with the #agenda

Next year is our year for greatness. Goat, Msstate7, and others said so. Big year coming next year. Mullen gonna make State great again

lamont
10-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Todd Monken brought in 11 JUCOs prior in his class going into '15. Usm went from 3-9 (1-7 in cusa) to 9-3 (7-1 -- division winner of cusa) as a direct result of going heavy on JUCOs

Todd Monken got beat by the 6th place team in the SEC West by 20 points on his home field too

msstate7
10-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Ohhhhhh nooooooo- stop with the #agenda

Next year is our year for greatness. Goat, Msstate7, and others said so. Big year coming next year. Mullen gonna make State great again

I'd love to see you link where I said we're gonna have a big year next season. The extent of my predictions for next season has been we could be pretty dang good in our front 7 if our JUCOs pan out

Coursesuper
10-10-2016, 12:08 PM

We are not in C-USA either, we play in the SEC West. That ain't going to get it done in our league. You can plug a few holes mainly skill positions or D- line,But trying to rebuild wholesale with jucos will not get it done.

Saltydog
10-10-2016, 12:10 PM
tier teams. We're competitive with VU, USCe and maybe UK. That's it.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 12:15 PM
Todd Monken got beat by the 6th place team in the SEC West by 20 points on his home field too

Well the JUCOs we're bringing in are a little bit superior to the ones they got, no?

Our juco guys and offers...

Pierce -- Florida, lsu, mizzou, South Carolina, tenn, and others

Pope -- Florida, auburn, South Carolina, USC, and om

Autry -- Louisville, tenn, Kentucky, West Virginia, and others

Champion -- bama, ark, Houston, Iowa state, and West Virginia

Sweat -- aTm, lsu

Phillips could certainly be a reach

HancockCountyDog
10-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Maybe, maybe not... om got 4 starters from juco ranks in one class: Kelly, jones, Caldwell, and bridges

Freeze's system is a plug and play at QB and Kelly was just a headcase with immense talent.

DJ Jones was the number 1 Juco recruit in the country.

Caldwell and Bridges are both backups and besides Bridges getting a pick 6 on us, hasn't done much.

They better be can't miss guys.

Saltydog
10-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Yeah right. This thing is spiraling out of control quickly and the sooner we react the better. Those failing to see it are either blind or stupid.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Freeze's system is a plug and play at QB and Kelly was just a headcase with immense talent.

DJ Jones was the number 1 Juco recruit in the country.

Caldwell and Bridges are both backups and besides Bridges getting a pick 6 on us, hasn't done much.

They better be can't miss guys.

Caldwell and bridges have both started games for om and both still play a lot

HancockCountyDog
10-10-2016, 12:19 PM
Well the JUCOs we're bringing in are a little bit superior to the ones they got, no?

Sweat -- aTm, lsu

Lets slow down there. I would be stunned if Autry could commit to a school other than us right now. Pierce is a JUCO TE at a position where we have a Sophomore and Freshman sharing reps, I don't understand the signing.

Saying Champion could commit to Bama today is a farce.

Sweat is good. Pope didn't play last year, so we will have to see what he does this year.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 12:19 PM
I don't get you guys... you say we have a talent problem particularly in the upper classes. Mullen has put together a great class of JUCOs that count back and you're still pissed.

HancockCountyDog
10-10-2016, 12:21 PM
Caldwell and bridges have both started games for om and both still play a lot

They aren't difference makers, hell Bridges was beaten out by a RS freshman.

If you don't sign Jucos for depth. You sign them to make an impact. If you are signing Jucos for depth, you are screwed.

Also, even impact jucos, don't start making an impact until the second half of their first year.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 12:23 PM
They aren't difference makers, hell Bridges was beaten out by a RS freshman.

If you don't sign Jucos for depth. You sign them to make an impact. If you are signing Jucos for depth, you are screwed.

Also, even impact jucos, don't start making an impact until the second half of their first year.

So you'd drop all our JUCOs?

HancockCountyDog
10-10-2016, 12:24 PM
I don't get you guys... you say we have a talent problem particularly in the upper classes. Mullen has put together a great class of JUCOs that count back and you're still pissed.

Not pissed, just not buying the koolaid. We are going to be counting on Champion and Phillips to come in and play a lot next year. That shouldn't happen in year 8 of a program. We will be counting on JUCO Dl to come in and start or get a ton of reps, that is a problem.

Also, the bigger issue, is that it just puts more pressure on the following year to hit big in the high school ranks, because they will only be here for two years, so that means you don't have time to develop players, or you have to get back on the juco merry go round.

If you are a developmental program, you can't just decide to one year become a juco heavy program. Because then you become reliant on the jucos to replace the jucos you just signed.

HancockCountyDog
10-10-2016, 12:25 PM
So you'd drop all our JUCOs?

Id keep Sweat, Pope and Champion. Look to sign Abrams from Georgia and raise the level of my high school recruiting. The bears about to get nuked and we aren't making solid preparations. Its like finding out a hurricane is coming and instead of buying canned goods we are ordering pizzas.

NCDawg
10-10-2016, 12:26 PM

It did work for Jackie for a while. In fact, if we hadn't gotten those JC's, e.g., James Johnson, Smoot, Bean, Love, Cooper, Randy Tomas, etc.., we would have never won the SECW in '98. I agree later he failed in signing good JC's. Case in point, about 4 or 5 Arizona Western JC players, none of which played.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Not pissed, just not buying the koolaid. We are going to be counting on Champion and Phillips to come in and play a lot next year. That shouldn't happen in year 8 of a program. We will be counting on JUCO Dl to come in and start or get a ton of reps, that is a problem.

Also, the bigger issue, is that it just puts more pressure on the following year to hit big in the high school ranks, because they will only be here for two years, so that means you don't have time to develop players, or you have to get back on the juco merry go round.

If you are a developmental program, you can't just decide to one year become a juco heavy program. Because then you become reliant on the jucos to replace the jucos you just signed.

Won't all the JUCOs we sign this year count back, so we can still sign a full class if we so choose?

HancockCountyDog
10-10-2016, 12:30 PM
Won't all the JUCOs we sign this year count back, so we can still sign a full class if we so choose?

Its not a matter of counting back, its a matter of having 25+ juniors on the roster next year. That means in the 2018 season we will be losing a bunch, and we won't have time to wait for HS kids to develop, so we will be right back looking for JUCOs, which I think everyone agrees is a shot in the dark.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 12:33 PM
Its not a matter of counting back, its a matter of having 25+ juniors on the roster next year. That means in the 2018 season we will be losing a bunch, and we won't have time to wait for HS kids to develop, so we will be right back looking for JUCOs, which I think everyone agrees is a shot in the dark.

Well I like the juco class. I want them all and hope we trim some fat on the current roster, not the recruiting class

GTHOM
10-10-2016, 12:34 PM

2 of those are good

WSOPdawg
10-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Dang Hancock, good (and disparaging) info regarding our upcoming senior class next year. Although I'm not big into bad-mouthing our players (as they all wear maroon-n-white), your list highlights the seriousness of the talent gap we're facing compared to other SEC teams. Again, good informative list.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 12:41 PM
2 of those are good

Caldwell is 3rd on their team with 27 tackles. Gates leads with 30.

maroonmania
10-10-2016, 01:03 PM
tier teams. We're competitive with VU, USCe and maybe UK. That's it.

Exactly, we should have known this was coming when USA beat us and it was NOT A FLUKE! In that neither team had a turnover and total yards was pretty much even with both teams. We are at the same level as USA for the most part. They played toe to toe with us on our home field and they missed multiple FGs themselves or we would not have had a chance to win that game on the last second FG try. We haven't really improved much since then save the emotional first half we did play against SC. UMass, a team we couldn't put away, has lost to Tulane and Old Dominion since our game with them. Yes, Tulane and OD. OD beat them by 20 and it wasn't that close. Hard to believe this is where we are at now with this team.

BankerDog
10-10-2016, 01:03 PM
I believe JT Gray put on too much weight. The same as Bryant and Gerri Green.

I think a lot of our problem was Mullen entrusted Sleepy and Hughes with recruiting and they flat out missed on guys.

Tre Brown
Chris Rayford
Brandon Wells
Grant Harris
Torrey Dale
Desper
Myles
Ronald Cochran
Joc Johnson

But then again Myles, Harris, Desper were guys we had to take because they were Dandy Dozens and half of our fans would have raised hell had we not taken them. Harris hasn't done a thing since being up here and he didn't do a thing when Mullen and Turner were at Northwest Rankin to scout him. He took plays off, etc. We had to take 4* recruits Jake Thomas, Damien Robinson, Deon Mix, Eric Lawson, and Rankin. Because had we not people would've raised hell for not taking those guys. I do respect Saban for processing guys because I believe Jesse Jackson could be another one who should transfer. He was a 4* WR before his injury but hasn't been the same since.

We have just flat out missed on guys. Not saying anything about Todd4Stats, but for every Julius Craft, Sam Craft, Gernard Avery, etc. there are Brandon Wells, Chris Rayford, etc. and I was the biggest complainer of us not taking Jaylon Smith from Goula. He would've made a difference.

tireddawg
10-10-2016, 01:31 PM
Well I like the juco class. I want them all and hope we trim some fat on the current roster, not the recruiting class

Are you saying we can build a good football team with heavy juco recruits?

msstate7
10-10-2016, 01:35 PM
Are you saying we can build a good football team with heavy juco recruits?

No, I'm saying they can help. Sorry I don't see the issue with taking JUCOs that are being recruited by other sec schools too

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Is our overall talent level really any different than it has been at any point under Mullen? I think if you looked at the average recruiting class that comprised the roster at any point it would be around 25-ish in the nation.

I am primarily apathetic about this because A) This was not a tough schedule so far. B) I have no faith that Mullen will make a change other than maybe another pointless DC firing.

I think our best case scenario at this point is for Mullen to somehow beat BYU, Samford, Kentucky and Arkansas. Go to a bowl and get hired away.

DogsofAnarchy
10-10-2016, 01:45 PM

It DID work for Jackie!! He recruited JUCO players very good. He had one bad class of JUCO players in 12 years. Give me a break with this stupid shit.

GTHOM
10-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Caldwell is 3rd on their team with 27 tackles. Gates leads with 30.

Yeah and their defense is trash. Im all for signing JUCOs but if you load up on them in one class it shows just how bad the situation really is. And we let it get that way with all the Mullenites constantly defending a guy who couldve cared less about us

GTHOM
10-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Is our overall talent level really any different than it has been at any point under Mullen? I think if you looked at the average recruiting class that comprised the roster at any point it would be around 25-ish in the nation.

I am primarily apathetic about this because A) This was not a tough schedule so far. B) I have no faith that Mullen will make a change other than maybe another pointless DC firing.

I think our best case scenario at this point is for Mullen to somehow beat BYU, Samford, Kentucky and Arkansas. Go to a bowl and get hired away.

We will beat Samford and lose the other 3

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-10-2016, 01:50 PM
We'll beat Samford and Kentucky but that's probably it.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 01:50 PM
Yeah and their defense is trash. Im all for signing JUCOs but if you load up on them in one class it shows just how bad the situation really is. And we let it get that way with all the Mullenites constantly defending a guy who couldve cared less about us

Yeah, had we fired him after '14, we would be playing for the sec championship this year. You guys act like we've been trash for years or something.

bluelightstar
10-10-2016, 07:52 PM
Yeah, had we fired him after '14, we would be playing for the sec championship this year. You guys act like we've been trash for years or something.

I think most people's problems is that I haven't really seen brand new flaws with this team that Dan's previous teams haven't had. It's been a lot of the same complaints for years, but Dak covers up a lot of things.

I seen it dawg
10-10-2016, 07:58 PM

Sweat -- aTm, lsu

What was Rankins offers? He was a Juco AA by the way

msstate7
10-10-2016, 07:59 PM
What was Rankins offers? He was a Juco AA by the way

Oklahoma and om... I don't remember there being anyone saying don't sign him

I seen it dawg
10-10-2016, 08:01 PM

But they won't ****ing play for a year!!!!!!!! They never do. No one comes in under Mullen and plays right away. Rankin was a Juco AA and we see where that has gone so how in the **** do you have any ****ing clue this is a "great" class of jucos? Totally clueless.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 08:05 PM
But they won't ****ing play for a year!!!!!!!! They never do. No one comes in under Mullen and plays right away. Rankin was a Juco AA and we see where that has gone so how in the **** do you have any ****ing clue this is a "great" class of jucos? Totally clueless.

You mad?

So, you think we should drop all the JUCOs?

I seen it dawg
10-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Oklahoma and om... I don't remember there being anyone saying don't sign him

And he's a bust. Your maroon glasses, while noble, absolutely blind the ever-living shit out of you. To the point it makes you stupid beyond hope.

I seen it dawg
10-10-2016, 08:07 PM
You mad?

I'm not mad. You are clueless.

I seen it dawg
10-10-2016, 08:09 PM
You mad?

No. Because at this point we need them. But you say the class is great. And while I hope it is, history shows Mullen and CCB aren't worth a shit at getting them to play in Sept when the games start.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 08:10 PM
And he's a bust. Your maroon glasses, while noble, absolutely blind the ever-living shit out of you. To the point it makes you stupid beyond hope.

So, rankin was a bust... never sign another juco. Solid reasoning

BTW, when did I say rankin was great or whatever? Guess what... peters had offers from everyone and he isn't doing anything either. Should we never sign a 4* HS safety again?

msstate7
10-10-2016, 08:12 PM
No. Because at this point we need them. But you say the class is great. And while I hope it is, history shows Mullen and CCB aren't worth a shit at getting them to play in Sept when the games start.
On paper, the juco class is good. Will they all pan out? Almost certainly not, but I'm not gonna say they all suck bc rankin isn't panning out

I seen it dawg
10-10-2016, 08:21 PM

BTW, when did I say rankin was great or whatever? Guess what... peters had offers from everyone and he isn't doing anything either. Should we never sign a 4* HS safety again?

Never said not to sign any jucos. You are getting into will James territory

msstate7
10-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Never said not to sign any jucos. You are getting into will James territory

How you know I'm not will? Haha

I seen it dawg
10-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Would make total sense

GTHOM
10-10-2016, 10:03 PM
We'll beat Samford and Kentucky but that's probably it.

We arent beating Kentucky

Todd4State
10-10-2016, 11:26 PM

Well it would help if we actually played him but that's another topic.

Bothrops
10-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Lets slow down there. I would be stunned if Autry could commit to a school other than us right now. Pierce is a JUCO TE at a position where we have a Sophomore and Freshman sharing reps, I don't understand the signing.

Saying Champion could commit to Bama today is a farce.

Sweat is good. Pope didn't play last year, so we will have to see what he does this year.

Autry could commit to Louisville right now.

Pierce was a 4* top 10 ranked WR/TE out of HS. I believe Petrino recruited him. He's got a high ceiling.

Pope has recorded some impressive stats so far in juco.

Sweat is like a Marquiss Spencer but a little lighter.