PDA

View Full Version : One uplifting note from Saturday....

Liverpooldawg
10-10-2016, 10:12 AM
If you were in the west side you probably couldn't see it, those on the east side could but I'm not sure how many noticed. The second or third parachutist hit the ground REALLY hard. He stayed down quite a while. When the national anthem was played, it took him a bit, but he got shakily to his feet (basically standing on one of them) and saluted the flag.

starkvegasdawg
10-10-2016, 10:19 AM
If you were in the west side you probably couldn't see it, those on the east side could but I'm not sure how many noticed. The second or third parachutist hit the ground REALLY hard. He stayed down quite a while. When the national anthem was played, it took him a bit, but he got shakily to his feet (basically standing on one of them) and saluted the flag.

We just don't have good luck with doing that pregame. I remember the AL game where they did that and there was about a 30mph wind blowing. Half of them landed over in sorority row, but one was about 20' high when his chute collapsed and I realized the human body could bounce. Think they said he broke his femur.

WSOPdawg
10-10-2016, 12:46 PM
Another uplifting note is that Tiano actually saw the field albeit for only a couple of plays as the game came to a close.

Bubb Rubb
10-10-2016, 12:52 PM
We just don't have good luck with doing that pregame. I remember the AL game where they did that and there was about a 30mph wind blowing. Half of them landed over in sorority row, but one was about 20' high when his chute collapsed and I realized the human body could bounce. Think they said he broke his femur.

I recalled the 1996 incident the moment I saw the parachutists on their way down. Of course, it was windy again, too. I'll never forget that Bama game - it was an 8:30 PM CST kickoff for ESPN, and the game was delayed almost 30 minutes while they tended to the injured jumper. Then, we beat Alabama for the first time since 1980, I believe, and all hell broke loose with goalposts coming down. It was a late night.

basedog
10-10-2016, 12:54 PM

That was Lsu when Cecil The Diesel put on a hall of fame show only to spend time in prison. Unbelievable running back who destroyed his career and most of his life.

Also if you recall one parachutist barley got his legs lifted enough over the scoreboard in the north end zone! What fools for jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with winds gusting 30 to 40 mph at night!

Mjoelner34
10-10-2016, 01:19 PM

I saw him too. He landed hard right on his butt with his legs extended straight out in front of him. He hit/slid so hard that a cloud of dust came up behind him. I was amazed he was able to stand up.

Bubb Rubb
10-10-2016, 02:44 PM
That was Lsu when Cecil The Diesel put on a hall of fame show only to spend time in prison. Unbelievable running back who destroyed his career and most of his life.

Also if you recall one parachutist barley got his legs lifted enough over the scoreboard in the north end zone! What fools for jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with winds gusting 30 to 40 mph at night!

There may have been a separate skydiving incident, but the OP's original recollection is correct. 1996 vs. Bama, a skydiver bit it on about the 25 yardline in front of the student section. It was ugly. It took them 30 minutes to get him loaded into an ambulance and off the field.

Maroonthirteen
10-10-2016, 02:57 PM
There may have been a separate skydiving incident, but the OP's original recollection is correct. 1996 vs. Bama, a skydiver bit it on about the 25 yardline in front of the student section. It was ugly. It took them 30 minutes to get him loaded into an ambulance and off the field.

This is correct. Bama game 1996.

I got the parachuter from Saturday on video. There was definitely a cloud of dust from his landing.

starkvegasdawg
10-10-2016, 03:52 PM
I recalled the 1996 incident the moment I saw the parachutists on their way down. Of course, it was windy again, too. I'll never forget that Bama game - it was an 8:30 PM CST kickoff for ESPN, and the game was delayed almost 30 minutes while they tended to the injured jumper. Then, we beat Alabama for the first time since 1980, I believe, and all hell broke loose with goalposts coming down. It was a late night.

And cold. That's the coldest I've ever been at a football game.

RocketDawg
10-10-2016, 03:54 PM

No, it was Alabama in '96. The guy whose parachute stalled was coming in with the wind. He broke both legs from what I heard.

RocketDawg
10-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Were the ones Saturday military parachutists? The one who was injured in '96 was just recreational and not highly experienced from what I heard, especially in those windy conditions.

basedog
10-10-2016, 04:46 PM
No, it was Alabama in '96. The guy whose parachute stalled was coming in with the wind. He broke both legs from what I heard.

Ok, I do recall a game we played and some dude almost parachuted right into the north scoreboard, his butt just missed the scoreboard.

Original48
10-10-2016, 04:51 PM
Here's the video of the guy that broke his legs http://youtu.be/MMup0JXRX8c
I was there. They finally carted him off and as he got toward the endzone State ran through the blow up helmet out on the field and the crowd went crazy. The skydiver on the cart, thinking it was for him, gave two big thumbs up.