PDA

View Full Version : Potential Mullen landing spots

Noxdog
10-09-2016, 05:30 PM
For sake of argument, so Mullen leaves after this year..where to?

If we continue down this 3/4 win season I don't see PSU, LSU or any other blue blood pursuing him, so where?

Couple of thoughts.

Boston College-Addazio is probably gonna be fired. DM is from that area and they crave offense. Downfall - less pay, I would think.

Baylor - Grobe is doing well so far but do they really want to keep him? Downfall - not sure he fits there.

Arizona - Rich Rod, does he survive? Would Byrne take another chance on DM/

Random, you have a PM. Please respond.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Boston college or Arizona would probably be good fits

Quaoarsking
10-09-2016, 05:37 PM
OC of the Dallas Cowboys

Coursesuper
10-09-2016, 05:40 PM
For sake of argument, so Mullen leaves after this year..where to?

If we continue down this 3/4 win season I don't see PSU, LSU or any other blue blood pursuing him, so where?

Couple of thoughts.

Boston College-Addazio is probably gonna be fired. DM is from that area and they crave offense. Downfall - less pay, I would think.

Baylor - Grobe is doing well so far but do they really want to keep him? Downfall - not sure he fits there.

Arizona - Rich Rod, does he survive? Would Byrne take another chance on DM/

Random, you have a PM. Please respond.

If it is Arizona then it may already be a done deal, if so that explains a great deal.

ScottH
10-09-2016, 05:48 PM
TV gig.

MafiaDawg
10-09-2016, 05:54 PM
How in the hell would Byrne or any P5 AD sell that to his fans? Hey we just hired a 3-9 coach who fell flat on his damn face and failed to capitalize at all on the momentum of having a once in a generation qb. Maybe Rutgers could eat that turd sandwich. Maybe.

If he wants to leave he will have to take a year off to reinvent himself and then go lower tier or possibly go NFL qb coach route. Both multi million dollar pay cuts.

Coursesuper
10-09-2016, 05:57 PM
How in the hell would Byrne or any P5 AD sell that to his fans? Hey we just hired a 3-9 coach who fell flat on his damn face and failed to capitalize at all on the momentum of having a once in a generation qb. Maybe Rutgers could eat that turd sandwich. Maybe.

He took an SEC bottom feeder to #1 in the country in the toughest league in college football. That's how.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 05:59 PM

If he wants to leave he will have to take a year off to reinvent himself and then go lower tier or possibly go NFL qb coach route. Both multi million dollar pay cuts.
Nebraska hired mike Riley who went 5-7 at Oregon st the year he was hired

Noxdog
10-09-2016, 06:00 PM

Did you not read the "for sake of argument" part?????????? Dumb ass.
It's conjecture.....you know, what 99.999999% of this board is.

Sexton was hired for a reason. Scotth says a TV gig. Fine. Throw that into the mix.

MafiaDawg
10-09-2016, 06:00 PM
I keep hearing this. Has anyone actually listened to Dan in an interview? They don't just give those jobs away. He's terrible behind the camera and comes across as unlikable. Hes awkward and says "uh" and "mmm yea" constantly. I can buy taking a year off way more than this. Assuming you aren't talking about a tv gig at A local sports station.

MafiaDawg
10-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Yes and I was arguing that it doesn't make sense. Coaching is a what have you done for me lately profession. That's why Les miles is fired. He won a natty remember.

TrapGame
10-09-2016, 06:04 PM
I see him being a jerk talking head on SECN for a year and then get back into coaching.

Really Clark?
10-09-2016, 06:05 PM
I keep hearing this. Has anyone actually listened to Dan in an interview? They don't just give those jobs away. He's terrible behind the camera and comes across as unlikable. Hes awkward and says "uh" and "mmm yea" constantly. I can buy taking a year off way more than this. Assuming you aren't talking about a tv gig at A local sports station.

Totally different. Do you not recall a few years ago when they had the coaches for the title game breaking down the game during real time? He was the best one on there. Did a great job.

Noxdog
10-09-2016, 06:08 PM
Yes and I was arguing that it doesn't make sense. Coaching is a what have you done for me lately profession. That's why Les miles is fired. He won a natty remember.

You do realize that Byrne hired Mullen, right? You do realize that Rich Rod was FIRED from Michigan, right?

See the Mike Riley example.

All it takes is the right agent/AD/coach connection to make it happen.

BTW, I was not saying any of this was GOING to happen. Reading comprehension is suspect.

MafiaDawg
10-09-2016, 06:13 PM
And rich rod had to take a year off. 3-9 (where we are headed) and 5-7 are a pretty big difference imo when hiring a coach and trying to sell it to a fan base.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 06:17 PM
And rich rod had to take a year off. 3-9 (where we are headed) and 5-7 are a pretty big difference imo when hiring a coach and trying to sell it to a fan base.

Here's years 8-12 for Riley at Oregon state...

5-7
3-9
9-4
7-6
5-7

He was hired by Nebraska after year 12 at osu

BTW, Nebraska is 200x the program we are historically.

MafiaDawg
10-09-2016, 06:26 PM
So it looks like there is one instance in modern history where it's happened and about a million where it didn't.

MafiaDawg
10-09-2016, 06:35 PM
I like the #1 narrative as much as anyone but we did lose 3 games that year. I think the best situation for both parties is for him to just resign. Frankly I don't care where he goes.

shoeless joe
10-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Boston college is intriguing. My hopes are officially up.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 06:40 PM
I like the #1 narrative as much as anyone but we did lose 3 games that year. I think the best situation for both parties is for him to just resign. Frankly I don't care where he goes.

#1 is still great advertisement for our program... it was mentioned again today on national tv during cowboys' game

Really Clark?
10-09-2016, 06:46 PM
So it looks like there is one instance in modern history where it's happened and about a million where it didn't.

Nutt was 4-7 at Boise St. before Arkansas hired him. Erickson went 4-8 at Wyoming then Az St hired him. Willingham was hired at Washington after going 5-7, 6-5 and getting fired at Notre Dame (which for them and their history is the same as 4 wins). Gary Barnett was hired at Colorado after a 3-9 season at Northwestern where he had only 2 winning seasons in 7 years at a historically terrible program.

Quaoarsking
10-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Gene Chizik was hired by Auburn after winning 5 games in 2 years at Iowa State.

Taog Redloh
10-09-2016, 07:08 PM
Another vote for BC. I wouldn't rule out an OC position somewhere, NFL possibly.

Noxdog
10-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Nutt was 4-7 at Boise St. before Arkansas hired him. Erickson went 4-8 at Wyoming then Az St hired him. Willingham was hired at Washington after going 5-7, 6-5 and getting fired at Notre Dame (which for them and their history is the same as 4 wins). Gary Barnett was hired at Colorado after a 3-9 season at Northwestern where he had only 2 winning seasons in 7 years at a historically terrible program.

Give it up! mafia reads what he wants to. It's really not that hard.

Mjoelner34
10-09-2016, 07:42 PM

Upside - Can train on the actual marathon course.

Jack Lambert
10-09-2016, 07:48 PM

3-9, are you hoping?

MafiaDawg
10-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Hell no. But who are we going to beat?

Todd4State
10-09-2016, 08:00 PM

IF Dan doesn?t have to take a year off the AD where he works will pass it off as ?Yeah- but it?s Missussippi State. We?re better than they are. We beat them in the Civil War.?

Bass Chaser
10-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Rams

Goldendawg
10-09-2016, 10:21 PM
I loved being #1 for five wks, but where did we end up? We lost 3 of the last four and looked bad doing it, if I remember correctly. I think a lot of P5 schools would see this as a fluke season for us and Dan. I don't think he lands a blue blood school and certainly not at $4 mil plus. I just want him to earn the rest of his paycheck for us the next game and beyond. AU looked like the Croom years again and he went back to his career NFL RB coaching position when we fired him. Dan might have to learn some humility and DC somewhere to try to regain his "fire". No one respects a quitter, unless it's Steve Spurrier back at UF as a figurehead.

dawgoneyall
10-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Totally different. Do you not recall a few years ago when they had the coaches for the title game breaking down the game during real time? He was the best one on there. Did a great job.

He was.

Goldendawg
10-09-2016, 10:42 PM
I too agree Dan has been very impressive on many SEC network shows, recent live postgame interviews , not so much.

TimberBeast
10-09-2016, 11:24 PM
Who gives a shit where he ends up?

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-09-2016, 11:30 PM
Some on here have speculated that UNM will have an opening at the end of the year and were wondering who they could get. He could even call us "the school below us".

Yesterday was the final straw for me as well, so add one more to the total. Having said that, he can take his ass to UNM for all I care.

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 11:43 PM
Who gives a shit where he ends up?

I agree. But we desperately need someone to hire him away or we're stuck with him for another splendid apathetic year. Nobody in the Bryan building has the sac to pull the trigger as of now. Maybe there could be some legs to Arizona job. I don't see a good AD like Byrne making the same mistake twice though

TimberBeast
10-09-2016, 11:48 PM
I agree. But we desperately need someone to hire him away or we're stuck with him for another splendid apathetic year. Nobody in the Bryan building has the sac to pull the trigger as of now. Maybe there could be some legs to Arizona job. I don't see a good AD like Byrne making the same mistake twice though

I agree with that for sure, but who on earth would hire him and pay him anywhere near what we do? I don't think that's going to happen.

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 11:53 PM
I agree with that for sure, but who on earth would hire him and pay him anywhere near what we do? I don't think that's going to happen.

Oh me either. Our former athletic director sat idly by and watched as this developed. But USC was duped into hiring Lane kiffin, UT hired duley, SCar hired Muschamp so there is some hope that there are some sucker ADs still out there.

TimberBeast
10-09-2016, 11:59 PM
Oh me either. Our former athletic director sat idly by and watched as this developed. But USC was duped into hiring Lane kiffin, UT hired duley, SCar hired Muschamp so there is some hope that there are some sucker ADs still out there.

You are right, I'm afraid we are stuck unless sexton can find a dumb ad that will take him.

BayouDawg
10-10-2016, 01:23 AM
You are right, I'm afraid we are stuck unless sexton can find a dumb ad that will take him.

Being a state fan it never ceases to amaze me the predicaments we get ourselves into.

dawgday166
10-10-2016, 06:47 AM

Yes he was. That is what makes it worse to me. He's a really smart guy, yet I can predict the play calling half the time, and almost all the time within the opponent's 10 yd line. When the lights are on him does he get stage fright maybe? He certainly has looked spaced out to me a couple of times trying to run a hurry-up offense to win a game.

I do seem to remember tho that he didn't pay too much attention to what the other coaches said in that show. He stole that show. Wonder if that is the way it is in the MSU coach's meetings each week?

Dawgfan77
10-10-2016, 06:50 AM
I wouldn't rule out Houston as a landing spot

msbulldog
10-10-2016, 11:05 AM

He will not resign, he wants that buyout.

Homedawg
10-10-2016, 11:39 AM
He will not resign, he wants that buyout.

And why would he resign? Unless he resigns and still gets full payment for what we owe him. That would be beyond idiotic on his part.