PDA

View Full Version : With Dak and the Cowboys and all, it would be nice if Mullen would work out at MSU...

Taog Redloh
10-09-2016, 04:10 PM
...but in typical MSU fashion, everyone just can't seem to get along. Every time we had a chance to start a little tradition, in comes the atom bomb.

History repeats itself, may not be exactly the same, but it does nonetheless, unless people intentionally change it. Think about that when you are booing the players this year, and also as another coach gets buried in the MSU coaching graveyard.

I think we need to adopt a new strategy at MSU, that will be affordable and practical. Every other hire, hire a King Jackie type - great coach with baggage that we can get cheaper (think Art Briles). I'm talking old men who know how shit works, like Bill Snyder. When they eventually lose it, fire them. And between those, hire an up and coming offensive coordinator (Mullen types) and let them leave after 3-4 years at their peak. Don't overpay them, let them ride their success. This way we shed this coaching graveyard image. Rinse repeat.

It's called innovation, and we need to do it in every facet of the football program. Think about it....both of these type coaches are always in abundance. Good coordinators are everywhere. Art Briles is sitting alone in a bar somewhere right now.

AROB44
10-09-2016, 04:33 PM
...but in typical MSU fashion, everyone just can't seem to get along. Every time we had a chance to start a little tradition, in comes the atom bomb.

History repeats itself, may not be exactly the same, but it does nonetheless, unless people intentionally change it. Think about that when you are booing the players this year, and also as another coach gets buried in the MSU coaching graveyard.

I think we need to adopt a new strategy at MSU, that will be affordable and practical. Every other hire, hire a King Jackie type - great coach with baggage that we can get cheaper (think Art Briles). I'm talking old men who know how shit works, like Bill Snyder. When they eventually lose it, fire them. And between those, hire an up and coming offensive coordinator (Mullen types) and let them leave after 3-4 years at their peak. Don't overpay them, let them ride their success. This way we shed this coaching graveyard image. Rinse repeat.

It's called innovation, and we need to do it in every facet of the football program. Think about it....both of these type coaches are always in abundance. Good coordinators are everywhere. Art Briles is sitting alone in a bar somewhere right now.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Of course, many on here think that our history is meaningless. Like you, I have seen and lived it.

Maroonthirteen
10-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Yeah, it is really a shame. I understand why everyone thinks he has quit. That was maddening yesterday. But I really wish Mullen could get it together and at least move on in good terms. However I'm afraid what started as little fight has turned nuclear. ....and it is a damn shame.

I still say too....it is all because we lost to OM in 14 and 15. He wins one of those games. Everyone gives him a pass this year.

But.....we didn't win those egg bowls. Now here we go again. I got a feeling once the coaching carousel finishes this year....we will be left with a Stoops or Miles or Hud.

basedog
10-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Wash, Rinse and Repeat!

Back to the History Channel indeed.

Taog Redloh
10-09-2016, 07:03 PM
Yeah, it is really a shame. I understand why everyone thinks he has quit. That was maddening yesterday. But I really wish Mullen could get it together and at least move on in good terms. However I'm afraid what started as little fight has turned nuclear. ....and it is a damn shame.

I still say too....it is all because we lost to OM in 14 and 15. He wins one of those games. Everyone gives him a pass this year.

But.....we didn't win those egg bowls. Now here we go again. I got a feeling once the coaching carousel finishes this year....we will be left with a Stoops or Miles or Hud.

No question. I'm certainly not a Mullen apologist anymore. He's earned his criticism.

BeardoMSU
10-09-2016, 07:30 PM
All I can say is: Thank **** for Dak and the Cowboys to pick me up on a Sunday after a shit Saturday.

Jack Lambert
10-09-2016, 07:44 PM
We had the same posters doing the same bitching in 2012 when we they fell apart the last half of the season, in 2013 and to a certain extend in 2015. Mullen is still here and he isn't going anywhere after this season unless he chooses to leave.

Can we please have some real discussion about football and stop all the bitching? It isn't doing anyone any good and if I was a parent and my son was considering Miss State I would be going to the message boards to see what fans are saying and I tell you I would not let my son go to school here to play football if this what Miss State fans are like.

Maybe the mods can create a rant board so everyone who needs to blow some steam go over there and keep this board fun and not the nut kicking it has become.

It's becoming too much like the reason many posters here left SPS.

Taog Redloh
10-09-2016, 07:53 PM
We had the same posters doing the same bitching in 2012 when we they fell apart the last half of the season, in 2013 and to a certain extend in 2015. Mullen is still here and he isn't going anywhere after this season unless he chooses to leave.

Can we please have some real discussion about football and stop all the bitching? It isn't doing anyone any good and if I was a parent and my son was considering Miss State I would be going to the message boards to see what fans are saying and I tell you I would not let my son go to school here to play football if this what Miss State fans are like.

Maybe the mods can create a rant board so everyone who needs to blow some steam go over there and keep this board fun and not the nut kicking it has become.

I'd support this. Unfortunately the owners of this site seems to have the same opinion as the Mullen-haters, so they won't see the need for it.

Gutter Cobreh
10-09-2016, 08:44 PM

If I were a parent, I would rather see passion in the fans of MSU. So much so, they take time away from their day to express their opinion on a forum.

See what I did there? There are always two sides.

I would not allow my kid to play for someone that doesn't seem to care or had tried to jump at every chance he could the last couple of seasons. If you're honest, you'd see the same thing. You'd also say that playing early and often is really important to these kids and their parents. Have we seen that consistently under Mullen?

He had a prime chance to build upon the 2014 season. He did some great things, but when that ticket to a more prestigious place didn't come through - his lack of "relentless effort" chaos has caught up with him. This was never a long term spot for him. He probably thought he could ride into the sunset with a cupboard that was bare, only making him look better to all of us. Instead, he's left to try and coach the team he never thought he'd be a part of.

Coursesuper
10-09-2016, 09:01 PM
If I were a parent, I would rather see passion in the fans of MSU. So much so, they take time away from their day to express their opinion on a forum.

I would not allow my kid to play for someone that doesn't seem to care or had tried to jump at every chance he could the last couple of seasons. If you're honest, you'd see the same thing. You'd also say that playing early and often is really important to these kids and their parents. Have we seen that consistently under Mullen?

He had a prime chance to build upon the 2014 season. He did some great things, but when that ticket to a more prestigious place didn't come through - his lack of "relentless effort" chaos has caught up with him. This was never a long term spot for him. He probably thought he could ride into the sunset with a cupboard that was bare, only making him look better to all of us. Instead, he's left to try and coach the team he never thought he'd be a part of.

Very accurate assessment.

confucius say
10-09-2016, 09:08 PM
I've been as big a Mullen supporter as anybody. I just think the end is near, but I will support him and hope we find a way to get to 6 wins.

DancingRabbit
10-09-2016, 09:39 PM

You're dreaming, or just being sarcastic. They come here, they just see dumpster fire.

Goldendawg
10-09-2016, 10:28 PM
If Dan can get this year's mess to six wins, every team with a HC opening in the country should want him in a multi-million $ bidding war!

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 11:27 PM

That's definitely an interesting idea. But it's not we the fans fault this happened. We have supported Dan with all his demands. The real blame goes to our former athletic director who wouldn't take a stand. He let Dan shit all over us and then of course he tucks tail and runs and comes out smelling like a rose. That's what has led to where we are. No leadership in the Bryan building.

gtowndawg
10-09-2016, 11:41 PM
I'll tell you what some players parents think because I heard them talking after the game yesterday. I took my boys to hang out around the locker room for autographs. One prominent players parent (I'm not going to say who it is but I know it was his parent/family because they almost all have their sons name or number on their shirts, hats, etc) said "No adjustments at all. I could have coached that game today."

Trust me when I say, the parents I heard outside the locker room yesterday are plenty upset at Mullen...what we are saying doesn't matter.

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 11:46 PM
I'll tell you what some players parents think because I heard them talking after the game yesterday. I took my boys to hang out around the locker room for autographs. One prominent players parent (I'm not going to say who it is but I know it was his parent/family because they almost all have their sons name or number on their shirts, hats, etc) said "No adjustments at all. I could have coached that game today."

Trust me when I say, the parents I heard outside the locker room yesterday are plenty upset at Mullen...what we are saying doesn't matter.

Sounds eerily familiar to what a certain basketball players father would say about stans coaching in his last year. That's why he had his mind made up his son was transferring before the season was even over.

Dawg61
10-10-2016, 08:03 AM
I was thinking about this last night. MSU really needs to find a way to keep Mullen, Dak, the Cowboys and MSU all linked together for atleast a couple years and exploit the hell out of it. It's really going to be opportunity wasted if we lose Mullen right now with his star QB starting and winning for the Dallas Cowboys.

Liverpooldawg
10-10-2016, 08:12 AM
Wash, Rinse and Repeat!

Back to the History Channel indeed.

Yep. It's all we know.

Liverpooldawg
10-10-2016, 08:14 AM

Yes, it is. I agree with all that.

Liverpooldawg
10-10-2016, 08:18 AM

Why are the rumors started and spread by Ole Miss controlled websites now accepted as gospel here? I don't get it. The only that was actually true according to my sources was Miami, and they contacted Mullen, not the other way around. It's no coincidence that they really started heating up exactly when the NCAA investigation at Ole Miss was becoming more public. Enough already.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
10-10-2016, 08:18 AM
It aint gonna happen buddy Mullen has mailed it in for the Season!!

Gutter Cobreh
10-10-2016, 09:50 AM
Why are the rumors started and spread by Ole Miss controlled websites now accepted as gospel here? I don't get it. The only that was actually true according to my sources was Miami, and they contacted Mullen, not the other way around. It's no coincidence that they really started heating up exactly when the NCAA investigation at Ole Miss was becoming more public. Enough already.

This has nothing to do with Ole Miss. What happens with them has no bearing on the problems within our own program. You can say their bags of cash hurt recruiting and it quite possibly did, but our problems have to do with a coach and a few guys that don't have their heads on straight.

2 examples of the difference between us and other teams right now:

1) Bama gives up a big play to end the game at Arkansas and Saban is livid. It didn't effect the outcome of the game, yet the fact that there was missed assignments and coverages on that play caused Saban to be pissed. Please explain the last time you saw Mullen actually show emotion like that?

2) A&M's RB breaks loose and is about to put them up 14 with time running out. TN defender chases the RB down and knocks the ball out and through the back of the endzone. Flip to our game and we see Bryant pull up at the 5 yard line and lets Pettway roll in for an easy TD. You see the difference?

Some programs are actually out there competing; while we're simply going through the motions at this point. I look at those examples + Mullen's demeanor and I draw my own conclusions.

I will admit that I was optimistic about this season. I will also admit that I was wrong. I would be in favor of retaining Mullen if we were actually showing some improvement. We are regressing and the longer we allow it, the worse it is going to get.

msbulldog
10-10-2016, 09:58 AM

I agree.