PDA

View Full Version : D.J. Durkin

Tripp McNeely
10-08-2016, 08:16 PM
Would we have a shot?

Noxdog
10-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Would we have a shot?

He just got his ass whipped. Really??? Thought you were on the CDM train?

Durkin...really?

civildawg
10-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Slight thread hi jack. I think Brian Kelly gets fired. Would love for him to fall in our lap

MarketingBully
10-08-2016, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't want Brian Kelly. How the heck would he recruit the south? Having been at Notre Dame for as long as he has, odds are good he has gotten lazy recruiting wise.

GTHOM
10-08-2016, 08:25 PM
Brian Kelly at least would act like he cared

Tripp McNeely
10-08-2016, 09:02 PM
He just got his ass whipped. Really??? Thought you were on the CDM train?

Durkin...really?

Today was Egg Bowl 08'. I'm the type that will support the coach until it's obvious...today made it obvious

And you don't think Durkin needs a look??? That's craziness! The guy is an insane recruiter, was left with a shit show for a roster and is 4-1. What the hell is wrong with Durkin??

defiantdog
10-08-2016, 09:04 PM
Why does anyone think we are looking for a new HC? 6-6 was our ceiling this year

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2016, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't want Brian Kelly. How the heck would he recruit the south? Having been at Notre Dame for as long as he has, odds are good he has gotten lazy recruiting wise.

Kelly would be a great choice. He recruits the South and the rest of the country at Notre Dame, but has restrictions due to Notre Dame academic standards. My guess is he'd be a better recruiter if able to openly recruit all qualifiers.

You guys want to fire Mullen and only hire a perfect coach. It's dumb and that guy doesn't exist. So instead, you want to hire the young guy that hasn't coached at a high enough level yet to have flaws, but there's a good chance that guy is far worse than the guy with flaws at a power 5. I like Kelly because their is a legitimate reason that Notre Dame can't recruit the best players in the country.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2016, 09:10 PM
Why does anyone think we are looking for a new HC? 6-6 was our ceiling this year

Agree. I'll write something tomorrow, but after calming down and thinking objectively, I'd give Mullen 2017 to fix his own mistakes. He's earned that, and more importantly, with Keytaon Thompson coming in, if we fired Mullen after 2017, we'd be setting up the next head coach with a ton of talent of the QB, which would be huge after seeing how Charlie Strong & McEwain have struggled since taking over power houses with no QB. The next head coach would be better set up by keeping Mullen through 2017.

GTHOM
10-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Agree. I'll write something tomorrow, but after calming down and thinking objectively, I'd give Mullen 2017 to fix his own mistakes. He's earned that, and more importantly, with Keytaon Thompson coming in, if we fired Mullen after 2017, we'd be setting up the next head coach with a ton of talent of the QB, which would be huge after seeing how Charlie Strong & McEwain have struggled since taking over power houses with no QB. The next head coach would be better set up by keeping Mullen through 2017.

Why would you want to hang on to a guy who obviously doesnt want to be here....let him go bro its over

Johnson85
10-08-2016, 09:44 PM

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but having a ceiling of 6-6 in year 8 is a decent reason to fire someone. I don't think Mullen is going to be or should be fired this year, but having a ceiling of 6-6 is a good argument to make me change my mind.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2016, 09:57 PM
Why would you want to hang on to a guy who obviously doesnt want to be here....let him go bro its over

Because I don't truthfully believe he doesn't want to be here and because I actually think our next head coach would be better set up for success by Mullen staying through 2017.

Without good QB play, the next head coach isn't winning and keeping Mullen through 2017 gives us the best chance of having that.

I'll also add, I completely understand why people want Mullen gone. I get it and don't think it's dumb at all. The truth is that if you think this is an easy decision one way or another, you either haven't thought it completely through or lack the intelligence to think it through. There are pluses and minuses to each circumstance. It's important to remember though that you don't fire coaches based off punishment for losing games. You fire coaches when you think the program's future would be better with another guy. I'm not ready to say that yet with Mullen despite our football team being awful this year and terribly coached.

GreenheadDawg
10-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Because I don't truthfully believe he doesn't want to be here and because I actually think our next head coach would be better set up for success by Mullen staying through 2017.

Yeh people that shop their name around for open jobs generally love their current one **

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Yeh people that shop their name around for open jobs generally love their current one **

I don't think it completely works that way. Is it possible that he wanted a better job but was also ok staying in Starkville? Why does him shopping his name mean he doesn't like MSU?

I completely agree that Mullen has made huge mistakes and I'm pissed at him. But you don't fire people for punishment. You fire people because you think the program is better off without him.

We really need Keytaon Thompson and, no matter how pissed I am at Mullen, as of today I'm willing to give him 2017. It sets our next head coach up better.