PDA

View Full Version : Are People Afraid to Fire Dan for the Same Reasons as Stansbury?

TheRef
10-08-2016, 06:31 PM
Simple question: Are your casual fans afraid to fire Dan for the same reason they were afraid to fire Stansbury when it was obvious he needed to go?

My take? Yupp.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2016, 06:35 PM
I think that is definitely the case and it is a legitimate concern. Of course the same was said about Croom also. He had just taken us to a bowl and won SEC Coach of the Year. He seemed to recruit ok but was too hard headed to change until it was too late.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-08-2016, 06:35 PM
I'd have to say yeah

BeardoMSU
10-08-2016, 06:38 PM
I'd have to say yeah

Never gets old...especially when appropriately used, lol.

IMissJack
10-08-2016, 06:39 PM
The truth is we can whine and complain forever on here, and it means nothing until 2 kinds of people want to change this 1) wealthy alums that give 2) the President of the U

msstate7
10-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Or maybe it's the Cohen example?

Cohen's best year in '13, good year in '14, and abysmal season in '15 (dead last in sec).

Mullen's best year in '14, good year in '15, and shaping up to be abysmal year in '16.

Maybe fitz makes a Dakota Hudson like jump. Maybe sweat, champion, pope, autry, etc are our Lowe, Kruger, smith, and rigby. Maybe hill or Thompson are our magnum next season.

Mullen could do the complete opposite of Cohen and bomb next season, but I want to give him a shot

HereComesTheSpiral
10-08-2016, 06:43 PM
I don't think there will be a divide over firing Mullen like there was Stansbury. It is evident that both lost the locker room and that will be their downfall, but at least the locker room Bury lost had a lot of talent in it. Mullen hasnt been able to keep control over a bunch of SWAC level players.

Dawg61
He is 21-10 the last 3 years at MSU in the SEC West. If Fitz & Staley weren't misses we wouldn't be thinking twice about firing him. I think he is allowed one year of bad QB play.

IMissJack
The biggest thing I want out of Mullen is some sort of indication that he gives a care, and even wants to be considered for the job next year.

Taog Redloh
10-08-2016, 06:44 PM
What you're not understanding, is the Stansbury thing is a legit reason. We made a mistake firing Stansbury after 2012 and it would be a mistake to fire Mullen after 2016. Timing is a big deal. We should have either fired Stans after 2011 after all the Hawaii bullsh*t or after 2013 when he would have tanked.

The only way you can fire Mullen this year is if we lose out ie tank. 3-9 probably does not get that done. 4-8 and he for sure stays.

dawgday166
10-08-2016, 06:48 PM
He is 21-10 the last 3 years at MSU in the SEC West. If Fitz & Staley weren't misses we wouldn't be thinking twice about firing him. I think he is allowed one year of bad QB play.

And his record against the SEC W during that time is??

ETA: Dude ... EVERYTHING is bad. It ain't bad QB play. IT'S EVERYTHING!

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2016, 06:50 PM

Cohen's best year in '13, good year in '14, and abysmal season in '15 (dead last in sec).

Mullen's best year in '14, good year in '15, and shaping up to be abysmal year in '16.

Maybe fitz makes a Dakota Hudson like jump. Maybe sweat, champion, pope, autry, etc are our Lowe, Kruger, smith, and rigby. Maybe hill or Thompson are our magnum next season.

Mullen could do the complete opposite of Cohen and bomb next season, but I want to give him a shot
Cohen also has a history of Jucos being successful for him day one and he got a new pitching coach and hitting coach.

We bunted less and changed our pitching philosophy. So if Dan let the DC get rid of the bend don't break and let the best players play then maybe he could have a turn around but his ego probably wouldn't allow it.

Todd4State
10-08-2016, 06:57 PM
I think it comes down to fear of change more than anything. “We might screw it up!” We screwed Stansbury’s replacement up too- but now look where we are. We have one of the best basketball coaches in the country. If by chance we screw it up, it’s not the end of the world. It’s a job. We’re not bound to anybody.
Personally I think we have a good chance of getting it right. I think it’s ridiculous to keep a failing head coach because the next guy might not be as good. There’s also a chance the next guy could be the best we’ve ever had and could be Nick Saban 2.0. There’s no way to know. Keeping a failing coach often times leads to more failing.

I’ve also seen MSU fans mention “we can’t fire Dan because that would be like Ole Miss firing Cutcliffe”. My guess is maybe we have fans that are afraid it will turn out like Orgeron, that Ole Miss fans will make fun of us, and that Dan will go on and become a well-respected coach somewhere else. First of all, Cutcliffe never lost to a team like South Alabama that I can recall. Second of all we shouldn’t care what Ole Miss fans or the media say about us because they don’t have our best interests at heart. If Dan goes on to do well somewhere else, I say wish him well. He had his time here and then like all things that time ended and it was time for both of us to go in different directions. At least they can’t say that we’re a “coaches graveyard” if that happens and again who cares anyway? We need to do whatever is best for us and having 2-3 losing seasons in a row so Ole Miss fans and the media can’t play the Cutcliffe card IS NOT what’s best for us.

My biggest fear right now is that we won’t be taking advantage of Ole Miss’s probation because we’re being too patient Mississippi State making the same mistake by holding on to a coach too long while recruiting suffers for another year and then we have to rebuild ourselves.

This offseason would be a great time to change because Ole Miss won’t be on probation until the summer. That will give a potential new coach a year to get things established and then fully take advantage of their situation while they down. Personally, don’t think Dan would take advantage of their situation and certainly not to the fullest extent.

Todd4State
10-08-2016, 07:08 PM

The biggest difference between Dan and Cohen is even during the 15 season, I never once questioned Cohen’s desire to be here. That and we had one of our best recruiting classes in 2015. I remember Cohen being PISSED after we lost to Arkansas Pine Bluff in 2015- and after that the beards were shaved off. We get “Well, 50% of the teams in America lost today” from Dan after we lost to South Alabama.
Cohen had also taken us to the finals of the NC round which no other coach in a major sport can say and had won SEC Championships at Kentucky and had won the SEC Tournament as well. Dan has done well- but his greatest accomplishment was winning the Gator Bowl in 2010. That pales in comparison to what Cohen had done before 2015 so yeah- Cohen should have gotten a longer leash. And yes, Dan did take us to number one in football, but he also didn’t finish the job that year. And if Cohen would have had a bad season last year, he would have been gone as well. Kudos to him and his team for nutting up and going beyond that and winning the SEC and getting a National Seed.

And as someone mentioned- Cohen brought in Will Coggin to help with the hitting. I won’t give him credit for Butch because Butch would have been here had Auburn’s job not come open.

Here’s the other difference. As soon as we were swept by Tennessee, Cohen went to Georgia himself and personally recruited Nate Lowe and told him that we needed him badly the next year and to not go pro. Dan goes to Europe and buys Yeezy’s.

nicks_hammer
10-08-2016, 07:08 PM
I vote yes.

Todd4State
10-08-2016, 07:09 PM

How many years of bad o-line play is he allowed?

EngDawg
10-08-2016, 07:22 PM
What you're not understanding, is the Stansbury thing is a legit reason. We made a mistake firing Stansbury after 2012 and it would be a mistake to fire Mullen after 2016. Timing is a big deal. We should have either fired Stans after 2011 after all the Hawaii bullsh*t or after 2013 when he would have tanked.

The only way you can fire Mullen this year is if we lose out ie tank. 3-9 probably does not get that done. 4-8 and he for sure stays.

Someone gets it

Fire Mullen this year and you'll end up with a Rick Ray. And don't go spouting all that "we could have gotten better than RR if Stickland haven't been an idiot" bullshit, because RR was about our tenth offer.

Sacrifice
10-08-2016, 07:24 PM

Damn, how many SEC games did we play in 3 years? That's 10 per year!.
He's 13-11 in the past 3 years. 14-13 if you add this seasons games.

GTHOM
10-08-2016, 07:35 PM

And maybe we'll all get 4 million dollar contracts to sit on our ass during prime time recruiting season and we'll all get to go job whoring in the offseason!!! Its time man Dan dont wanna be here send his ass packing

GTHOM
10-08-2016, 07:37 PM

So you're saying a win over the mighty samford bulldogs saves dan mullen. Wow

Dawg61
10-08-2016, 08:25 PM
And his record against the SEC W during that time is??

ETA: Dude ... EVERYTHING is bad. It ain't bad QB play. IT'S EVERYTHING!

Good QB play masks a lot. We are probably 4-1 right now with any other starting QB Dan has had the last 15 years.

Dawg61
10-08-2016, 08:26 PM
Damn, how many SEC games did we play in 3 years? That's 10 per year!.
He's 13-11 in the past 3 years. 14-13 if you add this seasons games.

You know what I meant

GTHOM
10-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Good QB play masks a lot. We are probably 4-1 right now with any other starting QB Dan has had the last 15 years.

Hell no Relf, Russell, Lee we have the exact same record right now

Dawg61
10-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Hell no Relf, Russell, Lee we have the exact same record right now

We'll just have to disagree here

GTHOM
10-08-2016, 08:45 PM
We'll just have to disagree here

None of those kids are changing the locker room and none of those kids are making skid mark want to coach again

PMDawg
10-08-2016, 08:58 PM
This argument ends after the last 3 games. That has the potential to be a really ugly stretch. If he coaches his way through that in a decent manner, he's not getting fired. If it's as ugly as I think it will be....bye.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2016, 09:11 PM

If Dan calls the same offense with any sophomore QB then we probably don't win anymore but probably lose every game with sophomore Relf and sophomore Russell. As a sophomore there probably isn't any of the QBs that can run the multiple progression complicated offense we now run.

defiantdog
10-08-2016, 09:17 PM
All good things come to an end. Mullen doesn't want to be here anymore and we want a new coach. Let's part ways without the break up sex and get someone who wants to be here. He doesn't care anymore

Maroonthirteen
10-08-2016, 09:33 PM
I agree. What Taog said.

Also, who says all "not yet" on Mullen was a don't for Stan's?

I would have fired Stan's the day Bailey was dismissed and Sydney was not. I'm wait and see how the season plays out on Mullen. Because as Taog said, the timing could be bad for us.

Jack Lambert
10-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Not for me. We just came off of 19 wins in two seasons. He has earned the chance for another year. Yall can say what you want, you can bitch all you want and you can order some cheese but unless Mullen leaves on his own accord he will be our coach next year so relax and hope they can pull things together and if you are one of those who are hoping we lose so he will be fired you are making this board really suck.

Dawgface
10-08-2016, 09:39 PM
How many years of bad o-line play is he allowed?

He's already passed that point. I have no problem firing him if we go 3-9.

GTHOM
10-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Not for me. We just came off of 19 wins in two seasons. He has earned the chance for another year. Yall can say what you want, you can bitch all you want and you can order some cheese but unless Mullen leaves on his own accord he will be our coach next year so relax and hope they can pull things together and if you are one of those who are hoping we lose so he will be fired you are making this board really suck.

We won 19 games in 2 years against who?? It was cool till Mullen quit after we (him) panicked and blew it vs Bama. Then didnt bother vs OM. With one of the best players in SEC history? Yes SEC history look at what hes doing in the NFL

Activated Alpha
10-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Good thing when I got married my non football wife wanted us to pick a team that we could cheer for as a family. We've been Michigan fans for the past 4 years and I still follow State closely because I'm an alum.

Was happy for state during the Dak years but glad I haven't followed them this year or I would have chucked our flat screen through the brick wall.

CadaverDawg
10-08-2016, 10:15 PM
I think it?s ridiculous to keep a failing head coach because the next guy might not be as good.

Lol. A "failing head coach"? Just the best one in program history, but by all means continue. Calling him a "failing" coach fits the "Fire him" narrative better after all.

Look everybody, people that want Dan to have another year may just be wanting to see the season play out to see if our most winningest coach can turn it around. After today, I have my doubts. I'm seeing undisciplined, uninspired, poorly coached players right now. That being said, Mullen has turned it around before, and we'd never find a good coach wanting to come to a program that is a perennial SEC West doormat, yet fired a coach that took them to #1 in the country after missing a bowl for the first time in 7 years. Now, I DO expect Mullen to have to make some changes. Our OL coach has got to go....he can't recruit, can't coach, and sure as hell cant inspire or lead. If Mullen proceeds to look like he has lost this team AND is unwilling to fire Hevesy (and really Knox & Sallach too), then we have no choice but to run him out. But it will take a meltdown of epic proportions for MSU to buy out that big contract & force him out after the success he has brought.

Best thing we can do as fans, is cheer for these guys to turn it around...hope Dan can reel in this pretty good recruiting class....and then 2017 will make or break him. Truth be told, I wouldn't be stunned if he has been having some private conversations (or his agent has) about job openings, and we may not have to run him out after this season anyway. Before you laugh bc of this season, think about what he has done to our program. Other schools see THAT, not the shitty "rebuild" we're going through this year. Chances are, a new AD may want "his guy" b4 long anyway, so everybody cheer for the team, cheer for their improvement, cheer that they don't quit, and hope we close recruiting strong (I know, sigh)....and the coaching stuff will take care of itself. No need in our fans assisting in ruining our recruiting class by bad mouthing players and making future players think they may have a new coaching staff next year so they should go elsewhere.

Just my opinion.

bobtail bob
10-08-2016, 10:25 PM
Bottom line. He don't want to be here. Scared or not the decision kind of answers itself.
Recruits know that he wants to bolt.

ScoobaDawg
10-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Simple question: Are your casual fans afraid to fire Dan for the same reason they were afraid to fire Stansbury when it was obvious he needed to go?

My take? Yupp.

It really doesn't matter what the common fan thinks. It comes down to leadership and the money boys.
Todays game makes me sick. I'm just now watching it because I was watching the OU-TX game with the wife this morning instead.
I'm glad I did.. at least that game was entertaining and had a heartbeat.

Mullen is done. We are f*cked with him if a change won't be forced. Our recruiting is lacking. As I'm watching the game now. It's on coaching.It's on technique. It's on execution. The play calling is setup for perfect execution and we can't do that. Our talent is severally lacking and we have no leadership. We are in a hole and with or without Mullen it's gonna take a year or two to recover.

I told someone earlier. I will not allow a Mullen lead team dicate my scheule anymore. I will watch the games. But not likely live. This shit is going to continue to get worse and we won't recover this year. I've said before it's going to be a long year. But I really mean it now..It's going to be a realllllly long year of bad football.

Noxdog
10-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Lol. A "failing head coach"? Just the best one in program history, but by all means continue. Calling him a "failing" coach fits the "Fire him" narrative better after all.

Look everybody, people that want Dan to have another year may just be wanting to see the season play out to see if our most winningest coach can turn it around. After today, I have my doubts. I'm seeing undisciplined, uninspired, poorly coached players right now. That being said, Mullen has turned it around before, and we'd never find a good coach wanting to come to a program that is a perennial SEC West doormat, yet fired a coach that took them to #1 in the country after missing a bowl for the first time in 7 years. Now, I DO expect Mullen to have to make some changes. Our OL coach has got to go....he can't recruit, can't coach, and sure as hell cant inspire or lead. If Mullen proceeds to look like he has lost this team AND is unwilling to fire Hevesy (and really Knox & Sallach too), then we have no choice but to run him out. But it will take a meltdown of epic proportions for MSU to buy out that big contract & force him out after the success he has brought.

Best thing we can do as fans, is cheer for these guys to turn it around...hope Dan can reel in this pretty good recruiting class....and then 2017 will make or break him. Truth be told, I wouldn't be stunned if he has been having some private conversations (or his agent has) about job openings, and we may not have to run him out after this season anyway. Before you laugh bc of this season, think about what he has done to our program. Other schools see THAT, not the shitty "rebuild" we're going through this year. Chances are, a new AD may want "his guy" b4 long anyway, so everybody cheer for the team, cheer for their improvement, cheer that they don't quit, and hope we close recruiting strong (I know, sigh)....and the coaching stuff will take care of itself. No need in our fans assisting in ruining our recruiting class by bad mouthing players and making future players think they may have a new coaching staff next year so they should go elsewhere.

Just my opinion.

Yep. We need to be patient on this. he will either get hired somewhere else after the year or 17 is sink or swim. Plus the job market should be a little more settled by then.

CadaverDawg
10-08-2016, 10:36 PM
Yep. We need to be patient on this. he will either get hired somewhere else after the year or 17 is sink or swim. Plus the job market should be a little more settled by then.

Totally agree.

Noxdog
10-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Totally agree.

Learned today on 247 board that he has hired Sexton. Must have missed it but JS is working on an exit if possible. If not, 2017 tell's the tale.

TimberBeast
10-08-2016, 10:46 PM
I told someone earlier. I will not allow a Mullen lead team dicate my scheule anymore. I will watch the games. But not likely live. This shit is going to continue to get worse and we won't recover this year. I've said before it's going to be a long year. But I really mean it now..It's going to be a realllllly long year of bad football.

I'm with you on this and it really pisses me off. For the past 25 years at least of my life, since I've been married for 18 years, our two kids, Fall Saturdays have always been scheduled around State football. Had season tickets for 16 years until two years ago. But the last couple years I really couldn't give a shit anymore. When Mullen is gone I'm back in 100%. I can't believe I wasted the morning today on that first half. Should have been downtown for cruisin on the coast but watched that garbage instead. Won't happen anymore.

msstate7
10-08-2016, 10:49 PM
I'm with you on this and it really pisses me off. For the past 25 years at least of my life, since I've been married for 18 years, our two kids, Fall Saturdays have always been scheduled around State football. Had season tickets for 16 years until two years ago. But the last couple years I really couldn't give a shit anymore. When Mullen is gone I'm back in 100%. I can't believe I wasted the morning today on that first half. Should have been downtown for cruisin on the coast but watched that garbage instead. Won't happen anymore.

You've had season tickets for 16 years and the previous 2 seasons have turned you off? Weird

CadaverDawg
10-08-2016, 10:52 PM
You've had season tickets for 16 years and the previous 2 seasons have turned you off? Weird

Haha

Noxdog
10-08-2016, 10:53 PM

Thought the same thing. Oh, well.

Coach007
10-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Not me. I think common sense is needed. I wasn't expecting us to be this bad, but knew it would not be great.

He gets a year IMO. But he has to show major improvement next year!

TimberBeast
10-08-2016, 10:58 PM

Yes because this stuff we do is not football. When he was finally forced to use Josh Robinson because Perkins was gone we finally picked up. But that was dictated by Perkins being gone. Mullen's flaws are incredibly obvious. I have enjoyed the results but our football was bad last year and this year. I think croom was so bad that anything was better but Mullen has major issues with calling a game.

scottycameron
10-08-2016, 11:00 PM
Not me. I think common sense is needed. I wasn't expecting us to be this bad, but knew it would not be great.

He gets a year IMO. But he has to show major improvement next year!

If the epic eggbowl beat down that I think is going to happen happens then it may be a moot point.

the59dawg
10-08-2016, 11:07 PM

This. We were rated last in SEC W for a reason starting with Dak gone.

gtowndawg
10-08-2016, 11:08 PM
All good things come to an end. Mullen doesn't want to be here anymore and we want a new coach. Let's part ways without the break up sex and get someone who wants to be here. He doesn't care anymore

My thoughts as well (minus the break up sex part).

ScoobaDawg
10-08-2016, 11:11 PM

Not really. We have come to expect more. I can't speak for timber but I suffered through the good and bad because I was younger. Same with Croom. I was in school at the time so I was super dedicated. Mullen came in and lifted our expectations to the level some of us always thought we should be at (bowling every year and win the egg) Now we have a coach who is only here because of a paycheck.

Like I said. I will record the games. I will watch them. I will participate in the board and stay passionate about MSU. but I'm not going to let it control my world. Mullen doesn't care and the results on the field show. So I'm changing my level of how much I will let MSU football rule my world.

And that sure doesn't make me a bandwagon fan either.

msstate7
10-08-2016, 11:17 PM
Not really. We have come to expect more. I can't speak for timber but I suffered through the good and bad because I was younger. Same with Croom. I was in school at the time so I was super dedicated. Mullen came in and lifted our expectations to the level some of us always thought we should be at (bowling every year and win the egg) Now we have a coach who is only here because of a paycheck.

Like I said. I will record the games. I will watch them. I will participate in the board and stay passionate about MSU. but I'm not going to let it control my world. Mullen doesn't care and the results on the field show. So I'm changing my level of how much I will let MSU football rule my world.

And that sure doesn't make me a bandwagon fan either.

The last 2 seasons we were 10-3 and 9-4. Not really sure why that would be the straw that broke the camel's back after suffering thru some absolute train wrecks the previous 14 seasons. Now this year would certainly turn someone off, but you'd be hard pressed to find many better 2 year periods in our history than the previous 2

TUSK
10-08-2016, 11:17 PM

My take? Yupp.

"casual fan" and "MSU fan" does not compute....

it's binary, no?

TimberBeast
10-08-2016, 11:35 PM
The last 2 seasons we were 10-3 and 9-4. Not really sure why that would be the straw that broke the camel's back after suffering thru some absolute train wrecks the previous 14 seasons. Now this year would certainly turn someone off, but you'd be hard pressed to find many better 2 year periods in our history than the previous 2

Have you actually watched us play football the last few years? Not stats, eyes on the game? Mullen could actually be one of the best coaches in the country if he could get out of his own way. The difference in me and you is that you think he can and I know he can't. I don't know what you are seeing but this stuff is over, he is too stubborn to be a head coach long term. Something is wrong with the man.

ScoobaDawg
10-08-2016, 11:36 PM

The last two years magnified the problems. The records were awesome. The rise to #1..awesome. The lack of imaginative game plan against Alabama and TSUN and then the offseason trying to find any other job just ruined it for me.
Mullen promised to elevate the program. He did. He is no longer meeting that standard and is going down in a blaze of horror.

ScoobaDawg
10-08-2016, 11:37 PM
"casual fan" and "MSU fan" does not compute....

it's binary, no?

This is truth... to be a MSU fan is not casual. No matter what it is hard even in the good because we can't reach the top it seems. Tusk would know about casual fans

Liverpooldawg
10-08-2016, 11:38 PM

My take? Yupp.

No. Stans had not done anything that hadn't been done here by his immediate predecessor. Dan has FAR exceeded what his had done. Both have/had done a lot better than the average for their particular program though. No matte what/who the program, when you do that the odds aren't in your favor for bettering that average with the next hire. We have probably beaten those odds more than most, but only because our average historically has absolutely sucked.

BoomBoom
10-08-2016, 11:46 PM
Have you actually watched us play football the last few years? Not stats, eyes on the game? Mullen could actually be one of the best coaches in the country if he could get out of his own way. The difference in me and you is that you think he can and I know he can't. I don't know what you are seeing but this stuff is over, he is too stubborn to be a head coach long term. Something is wrong with the man.

You must spread some reputation around yada yada yada

Liverpooldawg
10-08-2016, 11:47 PM
I think it comes down to fear of change more than anything. ?We might screw it up!? We screwed Stansbury?s replacement up too- but now look where we are. We have one of the best basketball coaches in the country. If by chance we screw it up, it?s not the end of the world. It?s a job. We?re not bound to anybody.
Personally I think we have a good chance of getting it right. I think it?s ridiculous to keep a failing head coach because the next guy might not be as good. There?s also a chance the next guy could be the best we?ve ever had and could be Nick Saban 2.0. There?s no way to know. Keeping a failing coach often times leads to more failing.

I?ve also seen MSU fans mention ?we can?t fire Dan because that would be like Ole Miss firing Cutcliffe?. My guess is maybe we have fans that are afraid it will turn out like Orgeron, that Ole Miss fans will make fun of us, and that Dan will go on and become a well-respected coach somewhere else. First of all, Cutcliffe never lost to a team like South Alabama that I can recall. Second of all we shouldn?t care what Ole Miss fans or the media say about us because they don?t have our best interests at heart. If Dan goes on to do well somewhere else, I say wish him well. He had his time here and then like all things that time ended and it was time for both of us to go in different directions. At least they can?t say that we?re a ?coaches graveyard? if that happens and again who cares anyway? We need to do whatever is best for us and having 2-3 losing seasons in a row so Ole Miss fans and the media can?t play the Cutcliffe card IS NOT what?s best for us.

My biggest fear right now is that we won?t be taking advantage of Ole Miss?s probation because we?re being too patient Mississippi State making the same mistake by holding on to a coach too long while recruiting suffers for another year and then we have to rebuild ourselves.

This offseason would be a great time to change because Ole Miss won?t be on probation until the summer. That will give a potential new coach a year to get things established and then fully take advantage of their situation while they down. Personally, don?t think Dan would take advantage of their situation and certainly not to the fullest extent.

YeP, firing the coach and starting over at the same time they are is absolutely THE way to take advantage of their troubles. Why in the heck do you think that all but ONE of the Mullen to wherever rumors started with UM owned or controlled sources last year? They freaking own us when it comes to this crap. We fall for it every freaking time. We are dumb as posts. Notice I said "we" in all of that.

Liverpooldawg
10-08-2016, 11:49 PM
You mean the best two back to back years in school history?

TimberBeast
10-08-2016, 11:52 PM
You mean the best two back to back years in school history?

Yes, those two which lead us to today in year 8.

Liverpooldawg
10-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Ain't it though? The best two back to back seasons in school history and the ONLY one where we were ever ranked #1 in the country turned him off. That's mighty interesting, or actually revealing.

TUSK
10-09-2016, 12:01 AM
I keep seeing "we were #1" and then "look how far we've fallen"....

neither streams of thought are accurate...

Liverpooldawg
10-09-2016, 12:01 AM
Yes, those two which lead us to today in year 8.

So being number one for this first time ever is a negative for you then? I know folks like that. A bunch of them for a matter of fact. Most if not all of them loved what they saw today.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 12:02 AM
I think Mullen sticking with fitz is very telling on how much job security Mullen feels he has. If Mullen's seat was really warm, I think we'd see Williams more. I really don't think there's a question that Williams is better right now, but Mullen is playing long game with fitz

TimberBeast
10-09-2016, 12:05 AM
So being number one for this first time ever is a negative for you then? I know folks like that. A bunch of them for a matter of fact. Most if not all of them loved what they saw today.

Did you watch the "believe" bama game after that? That number one stuff was great, but it was a fluke which was quickly proved after that. I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to change mine. But if you watched today and other games this season I really don't know what else to try to explain.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 12:07 AM
Did you watch the "believe" bama game after that? That number one stuff was great, but it was a fluke which was quickly proved after that. I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to change mine. But if you watched today and other games this season I really don't know what else to try to explain.

The "believe" game was '12. In '14, we lost 25-20 to bama

TimberBeast
10-09-2016, 12:07 AM
I think Mullen sticking with fitz is very telling on how much job security Mullen feels he has. If Mullen's seat was really warm, I think we'd see Williams more. I really don't think there's a question that Williams is better right now, but Mullen is playing long game with fitz

Deflect by putting the blame on fitz, since the USA game. We have no running game because Mullen won't play Aries and even Lee. That's the problem with our passing game.

TimberBeast
10-09-2016, 12:08 AM
The "believe" game was '12. In '14, we lost 25-20 to bama

Yeah, like I said, I've lost interest.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Deflect by putting the blame on fitz, since the USA game. We have no running game because Mullen won't play Aries and even Lee. That's the problem with our passing game.

I'm not deflecting anything. I haven't blamed anything on fitz

msstate7
10-09-2016, 12:10 AM

We were undefeated and #1 headed into Tuscaloosa... yeah, hard to maintain interest

TimberBeast
10-09-2016, 12:12 AM
We were undefeated and #1 headed into Tuscaloosa... yeah, hard to maintain interest

And what happened?

TimberBeast
10-09-2016, 12:13 AM
I'm not deflecting anything. I haven't blamed anything on fitz

Yeah you did, go back and read your post.

TUSK
10-09-2016, 12:18 AM

your point wasn't lost.... it was the same game, redux...

Liverpooldawg
10-09-2016, 12:33 AM

Fluke or not how many times has it happened to us? I enjoyed the heck out of it. My god I was leaving the stadium 30 minutes after it was over and our students, OUR STUDENTS (my son among them) were chanting we're number one, and for that day they were correct. It seems to have become a fasionable negative for "our" fans now. You people need to get a grip on reality, and an even tighter one in history.!

Liverpooldawg
10-09-2016, 12:34 AM

Given what you are posting......good.

Todd4State
10-09-2016, 02:21 AM
YeP, firing the coach and starting over at the same time they are is absolutely THE way to take advantage of their troubles. Why in the heck do you think that all but ONE of the Mullen to wherever rumors started with UM owned or controlled sources last year? They freaking own us when it comes to this crap. We fall for it every freaking time. We are dumb as posts. Notice I said "we" in all of that.

Dan is doing this to himself. Not Ole Miss. Keeping a coach that does not appear to want to be here and has shown ZERO improvement in recruiting and appears to be unwilling to change and is possibly getting even lazier in recruiting is NOT coming from Ole Miss. Like I said in December- that attitude leads to decline. Look at where we are now. Keeping him around does nothing but keep things the same other than maybe lowering his buyout clause- which won't be worth it in the long run by keeping Dan around because we will lose WAY more than 10 million if we bring him back.

What we desperately need right now is someone with some fire to take charge of the football team and bust our guys in the chops and actually develop some leaders. And we need someone that is a good recruiter because based on eight years and counting of evidence no way in hell does Dan take advantage of Ole Miss's situation. We do that, we turn the program around probably pretty quickly. We give Dan another year next year will be more of the same probably followed by a year or two of rebuilding and a new coach anyway. At this point the risk of making a bad hire is starting to lessen by the week because I'm becoming more and more confident that Dan won't be able to do it anyway so making a "bad hire" is becoming negligible because the results will be the same regardless.

I think we can turn it around pretty quickly because we do have some talent. It's just that they need direction or in some cases they just need to be put on the field and given the chance to show what they can do. The biggest issue is going to be fixing the offensive line.

But you are WAY off if you think that somehow Ole Miss is orchestrating all of this.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
10-09-2016, 06:41 AM
The last two years magnified the problems. The records were awesome. The rise to #1..awesome. The lack of imaginative game plan against Alabama and TSUN and then the offseason trying to find any other job just ruined it for me.
Mullen promised to elevate the program. He did. He is no longer meeting that standard and is going down in a blaze of horror.

BINGO BINGO The winner has been found Great Post Spot on!!!

Dawg61
10-09-2016, 07:20 AM
I keep seeing "we were #1" and then "look how far we've fallen"....

neither streams of thought are accurate...

your point wasn't lost.... it was the same game, redux...

Hey Tusk how about you sit these threads out if you're gonna just chime in with snarky Bama jabs. Thanks

Dawgface
10-09-2016, 07:43 AM
Hey Tusk how about you sit these threads out if you're gonna just chime in with snarky Bama jabs. Thanks

+1. I hate bama then I have to read his crap.

ShotgunDawg
10-09-2016, 07:56 AM
Unless Mullen leaves on his own, it makes sense to keep him one more year for a few reasons:

1. He's earned the opportunity to fix his own problems. Plus, I'm tired of the treadmill we've been on in our history. Hire a new coach, he makes the team better, try's to get another job and neglects his current one, starts losing, we fire him. We shouldn't want to fire Mullen. It's continues to make MSU look like a graveyard for coaches.

2. Keeping Mullen and getting Keytaon Thompson on campus tremendously helps the next coach should we fire Mullen after 2017. Most new coaches fail due to poor QB play. Leaving the new coach Tiano, Fitz, and Thompson on the QB depth chart would be tremendous and really set that guy up to have success quicker.

Idea:

- since we are a stepping stone program, how about hiring a new coach for 5 years and then helping him get a better job? This way we would always have young, hungry, aggressive coaches running our program without having the program tank first. Again, it's become clear that we are a stepping stone job, so let's maximize that by making sure guys don't stay at MSU long enough to get complacent.

TrapGame
10-09-2016, 08:29 AM

I wanted Mullen to put in Williams at the start of the 4th quarter just to see one thing. Does Williams in the game all of a sudden makes Fred Ross look like Odell Beckham Jr. That's what I wanted to see just to test the theory.

TrapGame
10-09-2016, 08:31 AM
- since we are a stepping stone program, how about hiring a new coach for 5 years and then helping him get a better job? This way we would always have young, hungry, aggressive coaches running our program without having the program tank first. Again, it's become clear that we are a stepping stone job, so let's maximize that by making sure guys don't stay at MSU long enough to get complacent.

Isn't that what Houston has been doing? Seems to work.

Cowboydawg
10-09-2016, 10:16 AM

Reaching #1 was not a fluke. We had a very good team that year with an unbelievable qb and a very good college running back. They earned every bit of that and for you to take one of the best runs in MSU history and downgrade it like that is really sad.

That team had a lot of top end talent and could've gone undefeated in plenty of other conferences. People want to sit here and praise Houston and Louisville who have to get up for 2-3 games a year and still lose one of them. We didn't suddenly lose it all at the end of the year. We play in the sec though. Alabama loses games in the sec but Alabama doesn't lose them at the end of the year. Yes we lacked the depth to finish out an sec season and no we didn't win the National Championship, but that run to #1 was not a fluke.

blacklistedbully
10-09-2016, 10:20 AM

Well said!

blacklistedbully
10-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Fluke or not how many times has it happened to us? I enjoyed the heck out of it. My god I was leaving the stadium 30 minutes after it was over and our students, OUR STUDENTS (my son among them) were chanting we're number one, and for that day they were correct. It seems to have become a fasionable negative for "our" fans now. You people need to get a grip on reality, and an even tighter one in history.!

Irony

blacklistedbully
10-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Given what you are posting......good.

More irony.

dawgs
10-09-2016, 11:00 AM
The biggest difference between Dan and Cohen is even during the 15 season, I never once questioned Cohen?s desire to be here. That and we had one of our best recruiting classes in 2015. I remember Cohen being PISSED after we lost to Arkansas Pine Bluff in 2015- and after that the beards were shaved off. We get ?Well, 50% of the teams in America lost today? from Dan after we lost to South Alabama.
Cohen had also taken us to the finals of the NC round which no other coach in a major sport can say and had won SEC Championships at Kentucky and had won the SEC Tournament as well. Dan has done well- but his greatest accomplishment was winning the Gator Bowl in 2010. That pales in comparison to what Cohen had done before 2015 so yeah- Cohen should have gotten a longer leash. And yes, Dan did take us to number one in football, but he also didn?t finish the job that year. And if Cohen would have had a bad season last year, he would have been gone as well. Kudos to him and his team for nutting up and going beyond that and winning the SEC and getting a National Seed.

And as someone mentioned- Cohen brought in Will Coggin to help with the hitting. I won?t give him credit for Butch because Butch would have been here had Auburn?s job not come open.

Here?s the other difference. As soon as we were swept by Tennessee, Cohen went to Georgia himself and personally recruited Nate Lowe and told him that we needed him badly the next year and to not go pro. Dan goes to Europe and buys Yeezy?s.

Umm I'm not against moving on from Mullen, but his greatest achievement is definitely not the 2010 gator bowl. Just saying, you can make your point without misrepresenting the facts.

Todd4State
10-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Umm I'm not against moving on from Mullen, but his greatest achievement is definitely not the 2010 gator bowl. Just saying, you can make your point without misrepresenting the facts.

What was his greatest achievement then? 2010 was slightly better than 2014 IMO.