PDA

View Full Version : Word from a few in the athletic department

DudyDawg
10-08-2016, 04:52 PM
That Cohen may just end up as AD. Hes apparently a much more realistic candidate than i hoped. I think that would be a disaster. Thoughts? Hope I'm wrong

Vandelay Industries
10-08-2016, 04:54 PM
That Cohen may just end up as AD. Hes apparently a much more realistic candidate than i hoped. I think that would be a disaster. Thoughts? Hope I'm wrong

Would be awful. Are we just being lazy? Let's just plug this guy here, I would be pissed

Coursesuper
10-08-2016, 04:56 PM
I'm changing allegiances if that happens. That would be colossally stupid and probably the single biggest **** up in Mississippi State history. And my family has 12 degrees from MSU and 2 MClub members.

Liverpooldawg
10-08-2016, 04:59 PM

Word from the only big donor I know is that they want a sitting AD. He said that didn't mean Cohen wouldn't get it, just that the preference going in was for a sitting AD. He said Cohen would have to overcome that preference to get it. He said that we have had a number of sitting ADs that have expressed interest in the job.

DudyDawg
10-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Word from the only big donor I know is that they want a sitting AD. He said that didn't mean Cohen wouldn't get it, just that the preference going in was for a sitting AD. He said Cohen would have to overcome that preference to get it. He said that we have had a number of sitting ADs that have expressed interest in the job.

I sincerely hope that is the preference.

Not only do I think it would be hard to justify a college baseball coach being AD, we would also be in search of a baseball coach. Just hard to make sense of

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2016, 05:04 PM
So he would give up his job to be AD? I think we would probably down grade at AD and baseball coach if that happens.

Dawg61
10-08-2016, 05:09 PM
What's Cohen's relationships like with Mullen & Howland?

Dawgfan77
10-08-2016, 05:13 PM
I can assure you that cohen in 4 or worse. We want a sitting AD.

GreenheadDawg
10-08-2016, 05:13 PM

I think that would be a disaster and it would show that the entire athletic department has given up. Just like the football program

Todd4State
10-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Skip Bertman and Ray Tanner haven't worked out all that well as AD's.

Commercecomet24
10-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Cohen called one of our top recruits and told him not to believe any rumors about him becoming AD cause he ain't done coaching yet. FWIW. We all know things change.

Todd4State
10-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Cohen called one of our top recruits and told him not to believe any rumors about him becoming AD cause he ain't done coaching yet. FWIW. We all know things change.

This is good news.

CadaverDawg
10-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Cohen wouldn't be bad. He knows what it takes to win. He knows how important recruiting is. He knows how to raise funds (see Dudy). He has big involvement & interest in the other sports on campus. Wouldn't be any Crooms or Rays hired that's for sure.

Not saying he should get it, but there could be much worse. I'd hate it more for our baseball program.

DudyDawg
10-08-2016, 05:21 PM
This is good news.

Better than good.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-08-2016, 05:25 PM
I guess I would not get retiring from coaching right before you get the nicest stadium in the country.

Commercecomet24
10-08-2016, 05:28 PM
This is good news.

Yeah I want Cohen in the dugout. Like I said things can change but when I talked to the recruits dad he said Cohen was adamant that he was not leaving coaching and I get the feeling Cohen doesn't play word games about jobs like some other coaches.

DogsofAnarchy
10-08-2016, 05:44 PM
Why would that rumor start in the football office? Hmmmmm....an AD that can be manipulated by the old guard? John Cohen is NOT going to be the AD. Forget about that dumb ass rumor.

Bothrops
10-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Hope this isn't true, I'd rather have Cohen coaching baseball. I think he's a smart guy, but I want a sitting AD and someone that can fight a lion, a tiger, and a bear at the same time with his peter pullers.

DudyDawg
10-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Hope this isn't true, I'd rather have Cohen coaching baseball. I think he's a smart guy, but I want a sitting AD and someone that can fight a lion, a tiger, and a bear at the same time with his peter pullers.
Mostly worried about being able to handle a budget like that.

BossDawg
10-08-2016, 06:41 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but all this talk about Cohen as an AD, are we talking about JOHN Cohen, our baseball coach? Why in the f#@k would anyone want him as AD? Good Lord...I (and I hope everyone else) would want him 100% focused on baseball. Surely we don't have to do that! As batshit crazy as some of the decisions our athletic department has made in the past, I suppose it shouldn't surprise me though.

Todd4State
10-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but all this talk about Cohen as an AD, are we talking about JOHN Cohen, our baseball coach? Why in the f#@k would anyone want him as AD? Good Lord...I (and I hope everyone else) would want him 100% focused on baseball. Surely we don't have to do that! As batshit crazy as some of the decisions our athletic department has made in the past, I suppose it shouldn't surprise me though.

My guess is it's mainly the people that work in the AD. They are familiar with Cohen and therefore more comfortable. If we get the guy from Central Michigan or wherever they don't know him and therefore there is more unknown with him.

Todd4State
10-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Mostly worried about being able to handle a budget like that.

I'm more worried about marketing.

basedog
10-08-2016, 07:45 PM
There again, folks should wait to see how this plays out before jumping off a cliff.

Damn, a rumor and you guys are throwing Cohen under the bus for no reason at all.

Dawgtini
10-08-2016, 07:50 PM
I think cohen would be a good hire and Inwould be ok with him doing both jobs. #checkshelmetandvest

DudyDawg
10-08-2016, 08:04 PM
There again, folks should wait to see how this plays out before jumping off a cliff.

Damn, a rumor and you guys are throwing Cohen under the bus for no reason at all.

Saying a college baseball coach isn't prepared to run a multi hundred million dollar department is throwing under the bus now?

basedog
10-08-2016, 08:14 PM
Saying a college baseball coach isn't prepared to run a multi hundred million dollar department is throwing under the bus now?

He hasn't been hired. My post says stop the madness at least for now. I suppose IF Cohen gets the job Keenum will be on the hot seat? Just saying.

Taog Redloh
10-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Cohen wouldn't be bad. He knows what it takes to win. He knows how important recruiting is. He knows how to raise funds (see Dudy). He has big involvement & interest in the other sports on campus. Wouldn't be any Crooms or Rays hired that's for sure.

Not saying he should get it, but there could be much worse. I'd hate it more for our baseball program.
Cadaver gets it.

fader2103
10-08-2016, 11:03 PM
I don't think he would be a bad hire. Honestly I think he would be a pretty decent hire. No he's not my top choice but I honestly don't see him taking another job like SS.

Intramural All-American
10-09-2016, 08:23 AM
All those saying there's no way he will be the AD need a reality check. He may not end up getting it, but he is definitely one of the top candidates, if not the leader. There are other sitting ADs that are on the list, too, but Cohen has a very, very good shot at getting the job. Either way, you can pretty much get over Cohen as the baseball coach. If he gets the AD job, then obviously he won't be the coach. But if he doesn't get the job, he's not gonna want to stay on as the baseball coach for the school that passed on him, and he's not going to want to work for a guy that got the job over him. Cohen, really wants this job, and he's campaigning hard for it. He just doesn't want to be the baseball coach at this point. Take it for what it's worth.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-09-2016, 08:46 AM

Well I got blasted two weeks ago for saying that Dak was playing like a hall-of-famer and taking the league by storm. I was being too critical. Some folks on here don't read well.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 08:49 AM
All those saying there's no way he will be the AD need a reality check. He may not end up getting it, but he is definitely one of the top candidates, if not the leader. There are other sitting ADs that are on the list, too, but Cohen has a very, very good shot at getting the job. Either way, you can pretty much get over Cohen as the baseball coach. If he gets the AD job, then obviously he won't be the coach. But if he doesn't get the job, he's not gonna want to stay on as the baseball coach for the school that passed on him, and he's not going to want to work for a guy that got the job over him. Cohen, really wants this job, and he's campaigning hard for it. He just doesn't want to be the baseball coach at this point. Take it for what it's worth.

Good point on cohen likely done at baseball coach here

AROB44
10-09-2016, 09:04 AM
Good point on cohen likely done at baseball coach here

Guess we need to fire him since he doesn't want to be the coach anymore. I think I will just go jump off a cliff and get it over.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Guess we need to fire him since he doesn't want to be the coach anymore. I think I will just go jump off a cliff and get it over.

Wouldn't be the first time this board called for his head. If this board had gotten its way, Cohen would've been fired after '15. That dumb SS didn't listen though and then we had to suffer thru another terrible... oh yeah, nevermind

Backspin
10-09-2016, 12:02 PM

Well said...you know the situation...Butch Thompson will replace Cohen if Cohen moves to AD

I seen it dawg
10-09-2016, 12:11 PM
And we will be more ****ed than we are now.

shoeless joe
10-09-2016, 01:19 PM

None of this makes sense to me...I may be wrong but I don't see it.

mparkerfd20
10-09-2016, 01:48 PM
I've read some stupid shit on this board before but Cohen not wanting to be the baseball coach as State anymore is the stupidest damn thing I've ever read on the Internet.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 01:52 PM
I've read some stupid shit on this board before but Cohen not wanting to be the baseball coach as State anymore is the stupidest damn thing I've ever read on the Internet.

If Cohen wants to be AD, how is that not saying he doesn't want to coach baseball? If Cohen wants to coach baseball, then he wouldn't pursue the AD job. Is this "stupid" reasoning?

HoopsDawg
10-09-2016, 01:55 PM
If Cohen wants to be AD, how is that not saying he doesn't want to coach baseball? If Cohen wants to coach baseball, then he wouldn't pursue the AD job. Is this "stupid" reasoning?

I know that Cohen's eventual goal was to be AD, but he didn't think the opportunity would present itself so soon. My take is that the timing is not right and he's not ready. We need to find another Byrne and then Cohen can take over after him.

mparkerfd20
10-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Yes it is stupid reasoning. Just because he wants to be AD someday doesn't mean he doesn't want to be the coach if he's not AD right now.

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 01:57 PM
Hiring Cohen just reeks of laziness and incompetence. I may be wrong and he ends up being a fantastic AD. It just seems bush league to me though.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Yes it is stupid reasoning. Just because he wants to be AD doesn't mean he doesn't want to be the coach if he's not AD.

Maybe... I can see not wanting to work for the guy the school chose over you too though. This is the reason Ed O isn't still at USC and why he won't be at lsu next season unless he's HC

mparkerfd20
10-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Maybe... I can see not wanting to work for the guy the school chose over you too though. This is the reason Ed O isn't still at USC and why he won't be at lsu next season unless he's HC

Timing is not good for sure. He still has the fire to coach and hasn't reached the goal he set for himself of winning the NC at State. I may be way off, but I just don't see it. Cohen is a State guy and waited for the right timing after Polk left to become baseball coach. I think he's perfectly willing to do the same on the AD side of things.

Todd4State
10-09-2016, 02:06 PM
Here's how we handle this if Cohen really doesn't want to be our coach anymore. Make him the top assistant AD and put him in charge of baseball and softball. Keep him as the head coach in baseball with the understanding that he will be the next guy up once the next AD leaves. Make Butch the associate head coach. This way Cohen gets more AD experience, he stays in the dugout and we're ready whenever.

msujan
10-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Well said...you know the situation...Butch Thompson will replace Cohen if Cohen moves to AD

That won't happen! It would be Henderson, I suspect.

HoopsDawg
10-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Here's how we handle this if Cohen really doesn't want to be our coach anymore. Make him the top assistant AD and put him in charge of baseball and softball. Keep him as the head coach in baseball with the understanding that he will be the next guy up once the next AD leaves. Make Butch the associate head coach. This way Cohen gets more AD experience, he stays in the dugout and we're ready whenever.

This is ridiculous! Cohen wants to be our head baseball coach. He wanted to be our AD in about 10 years. The only reason people are talking about this is b/c of this assistant AD title that was used to give him more money and possibly prepare him for the future.

Todd4State
10-09-2016, 02:14 PM
That won't happen! It would be Henderson, I suspect.

Maybe as an interim. Long term it would be Butch.

Commercecomet24
10-09-2016, 02:22 PM
This is ridiculous! Cohen wants to be our head baseball coach. He wanted to be our AD in about 10 years. The only reason people are talking about this is b/c of this assistant AD title that was used to give him more money and possibly prepare him for the future.

You are absolutely 100% correct!

Todd4State
10-09-2016, 02:32 PM

I think you are most likely correct. I don't think Cohen will be the AD anyway because on the release Keenum put out it mentioned experience being a big factor.

BossDawg
10-09-2016, 04:04 PM

Well hell fire.....IF this is true, and IF Cohen really wants the AD job, talk about typical MSU nut thumping. We finally get baseball turned around and headed in a good direction, and then......

BossDawg
10-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Hiring Cohen just reeks of laziness and incompetence. I may be wrong and he ends up being a fantastic AD. It just seems bush league to me though.

This. It certainly reeks of typical Templeton era "save as much cash and do as little work as possible" shenanigans.

Todd4State
10-09-2016, 04:16 PM
This. It certainly reeks of typical Templeton era "save as much cash and do as little work as possible" shenanigans.

To me this wreaks more of Scott trying to protect the rest of the current athletic dept. staff. Scott is allegedly the one pushing for Cohen.

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 04:20 PM
To me this wreaks more of Scott trying to protect the rest of the current athletic dept. staff. Scott is allegedly the one pushing for Cohen.
I want strick as far away form our athletic department as possible yesterday. He sat back watched Mullen shit all over us then bailed to protect his own skin. He's a snake. But his day will come

Todd4State
10-09-2016, 04:24 PM
I want strick as far away form our athletic department as possible yesterday. He sat back watched Mullen shit all over us then bailed to protect his own skin. He's a snake. But his day will come

Keenum is going to make this decision so I'm not too worried for now. It seems like Keenum and I agree on a lot of things when it comes to MSU sports.

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Keenum is going to make this decision so I'm not too worried for now. It seems like Keenum and I agree on a lot of things when it comes to MSU sports.

Form what I hear Keenum seems like he'll make a good decision. He needs to send Stricklin on the first thing smoking though if he's trying to have input on our AD job. He's a coward

maroonmania
10-09-2016, 04:28 PM

So if Ben Howland decides he wants to be our football coach but we don't give him the job because he has never done that before then should expect him to be mad about and quit as the basketball coach?

Coursesuper
10-09-2016, 04:28 PM

This is Strick without a doubt, he's trying to hook his buddy up. He GB and JC got tight at KY hence Cohen in on interviews and other such actions.

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 04:30 PM
This is Strick without a doubt, he's trying to hook his buddy up. He GB and JC got tight at KY hence Cohen in on interviews and other such actions.

Hmm another country club under strick's watch? Seems to be a trend

Coursesuper
10-09-2016, 04:33 PM
Hmm another country club under strick's watch? Seems to be a trend

As one of my closest friends alway says " We are so inbred we can't get out of ou own way".

msstate7
10-09-2016, 04:34 PM
So if Ben Howland decides he wants to be our football coach but we don't give him the job because he has never done that before then should expect him to be mad about and quit as the basketball coach?

Not exactly the same... cohen is assistant AD. Last I checked, howland isn't an assistant on mullen's staff

I seen it dawg
10-09-2016, 04:34 PM

Which is why I've been screaming for awhile to get rid of Stricklin. Nutless gutless *****

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Which is why I've been screaming for awhile to get rid of Stricklin. Nutless gutless *****

This!!! He's a brown nosing snake that bailed on his so called family when things got tough! But his day will come. He's just an over paid fall guy at UF while Foley is still there

maroonmania
10-09-2016, 04:38 PM
Not exactly the same... cohen is assistant AD. Last I checked, howland isn't an assistant on mullen's staff

Yea he's had that title what 6 months? Certainly not enough to get much experience. Cohen might be a good AD but the problem is who in the world knows because he's never done it before. The other baseball coaches that became ADs (like Bertman and Tanner) did so much later into their coaching career and had already won multiple NCs as a baseball coach.

Coursesuper
10-09-2016, 04:44 PM

Excellent description, with Foley staying around as AD emeritus, our boy will be a paper pusher that handles the day to day, Foley will be called on by the Bull Gators to make important decisions.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Yea he's had that title what 6 months? Certainly not enough to get much experience. Cohen might be a good AD but the problem is who in the world knows because he's never done it before. The other baseball coaches that became ADs (like Bertman and Tanner) did so much later into their coaching career and had already won multiple NCs as a baseball coach.

Well if we don't want him as AD, it seems we created this mess by giving Cohen that title.

I'm not for or against Cohen as AD... I just don't know. Why is everyone so sure he wouldn't be a good AD?

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Excellent description, with Foley staying around as AD emeritus, our boy will be a paper pusher that handles the day to day, Foley will be called on by the Bull Gators to make important decisions.

And when a hire Foley makes doesn't pan out strick will be the first thrown under the bus.

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Well if we don't want him as AD, it seems we created this mess by giving Cohen that title.

I'm not for or against Cohen as AD... I just don't know. Why is everyone so sure he wouldn't be a good AD?

Stricklin made the mess. He left us with a cluster of an athletic department. Brown nosing snake is what he is

maroonmania
10-09-2016, 05:02 PM

I'm not sure he wouldn't, just a total unknown at this point.

tireddawg
10-09-2016, 05:14 PM

This makes zero sense. You aight?

basedog
10-09-2016, 06:41 PM

Nice job for 6 years and $1.06 million guaranteed!

Todd4State
10-09-2016, 06:49 PM

It’s VERY risky at best because he has zero AD experience and his only AD experience is as an “assistant AD” the past six months.

Also, the track record of SEC baseball coaches becoming AD’s has not been good so far- Bertman and Tanner.

Being a baseball coach and an AD are apples and oranges. There are some things that are similar but it’s more different than similar.

Oh- and he would also be taking a massive paycut as well so I’m not sure why he would even bother with this.

DawgFromOxford
10-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Does Wetherbee stick around if he doesn't get the job? Seems like he's done well enough to earn it

BossDawg
10-10-2016, 12:48 AM
Why is everyone so sure he wouldn't be a good AD?

I don't think anyone is saying he wouldn't be a good AD. We're all pretty much in agreement that he would at least be serviceable in the position, but what's gonna happen to baseball if he does get the position? I suspect that in typical MSU fashion an assistant will just be moved up to replace Cohen.....what a glorious day that will be, and just as Cohen appears to have gotten things off the ground. While I'm hoping all of this talk is nothing but rumors, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see things work out that way.

To be fair though, I'm pretty pessimistic when it comes to people within the athletic department actually working a little, so don't let my attitude drag anyone down.