PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical HC hire

msstate7
10-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Let's say Texas, ND, penn state, and lsu (not retain O) make moves this year. If you had to choose one of strong, Kelly, franklin, miles, or O, which would you choose?

TNDawg35
10-08-2016, 03:17 PM
Franklin. He won at Vandy. He was put in a rough spot in Penn State with scholarship reductions and all....

OR,

Coach O. Like I said, Let him do what he is doing at LSU and get a an excellent O coordinator and a excellent D coordinator and roll with. We all know that sucker can recruit!!

Bothrops
10-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Franklin is the correct answer, but I don't like any of the choices.

I seen it dawg
10-08-2016, 03:22 PM
They all suck

scottycameron
10-08-2016, 03:25 PM
I definitely don't want that earring wearing douche as our HC.

EngDawg
10-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Franklin is the safe call.
O is risky. If he finishes well at LSU then he has that and the USC experience going for him, but the shitty job he did at OM is a huge detractor.

Miles was a good coach, but couldn't quite figure out the spread offense. Also recruiting is a big ? LSU is always going to recruit well regardless of who the coach is. There would be worse hires than Miles.

MetEdDawg
10-08-2016, 04:35 PM
We need a HC that has built a program or sustained a program. No coordinator. We need an experienced head coach.

1) I think we might could make a run at Mike Gundy. His time at OK State is about over and I think we might could get him.

2) I think we need to see if Fuente would jump to the SEC from Va Tech.

3) Need to talk to Fedora.

4) Kyle Whittingham

5) Maybe Macintyre at Colorado

This to me is a sensible list and one that contains coaches we could get that have a track record.

Dawgfan77
10-08-2016, 04:46 PM
PJ Fleck. End of discussions

RocketDawg
10-08-2016, 04:55 PM

Franklin from the posted list.

But how about the ND State coach?

DudyDawg
10-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Fedora is definitely worth kicking the tires on

Dawg61
10-08-2016, 05:05 PM
http://prod.static.patriots.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/2014/710x380-thumbs/710x380-20141219-patricia-chatham.jpg

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-08-2016, 05:19 PM
I would not love Franklin but I would be ok with it.

nicks_hammer
10-08-2016, 06:24 PM
http://prod.static.patriots.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/2014/710x380-thumbs/710x380-20141219-patricia-chatham.jpg

Alright Dawg61, I'll bite who is that picture of. Being lazy and dranking a lot of whiskey after seeing that shitshow of a game plan we developed in 2 weeks.

msstatelp1
10-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Ogre. He learned a lot from his time at OM and became a better coach for it. He would give us immediate and better access to LA .

msstate7
10-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Alright Dawg61, I'll bite who is that picture of. Being lazy and dranking a lot of whiskey after seeing that shitshow of a game plan we developed in 2 weeks.

Matt patricia patriots DC

nicks_hammer
10-08-2016, 06:28 PM
PJ Fleck looks like a legitimate candidate.

Dawg61
10-08-2016, 06:30 PM

Patriots Defensive Coordinator. I don't know much about him other than he looks like a total Boss on the sidelines.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2016, 06:39 PM
I think Franklin would be the safest hire and O would depend how LSU does for the rest of the year. O would probably be a boom or bust hire.

nicks_hammer
10-08-2016, 06:49 PM
While the patriot dc does look like a total bad ass the college game requires an aggressive recruiter. The NFL just pays millions and we give peanut bags away.
I'm intrigued by this PJ Fleck and I don't wanna hear shit about whom he is married to or how many divorces he has. How many games can he win? That's what is important!!!

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-08-2016, 06:51 PM
I'm obviously missing something on Fleck. Not sure what y'all are seeing to put him at the top of any lists. Feel free to help me out.

msstate7
10-08-2016, 06:54 PM
I'm obviously missing something on Fleck. Not sure what y'all are seeing to put him at the top of any lists. Feel free to help me out.

He's on cbs sports channel now

158 on dish

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2016, 06:55 PM
While the patriot dc does look like a total bad ass the college game requires an aggressive recruiter. The NFL just pays millions and we give peanut bags away.
I'm intrigued by this PJ Fleck and I don't wanna hear shit about whom he is married to or how many divorces he has. How many games can he win? That's what is important!!!
Mullen has a kid out of wedlock. What does the guy getting a divorce have to do with anything? As long as his divorce wasn't from a felony charge.

nicks_hammer
10-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Mullen has a kid out of wedlock. What does the guy getting a divorce have to do with anything? As long as his divorce wasn't from a felony charge.

I was replying to or referring to another poster who seems to want to take a holier than thou stance on the subject. I simply want someone that will go out and Give maximum effort and energy to recruiting and winning.

Sacrifice
10-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Gotta give Fedora a call, the guy has won BIG everywhere he's been. USM first 12 win season. UNC took over a team on probation and took them to there first coastal division Championship. Makes 3 mill a year with a mill buyout

Taog Redloh
10-08-2016, 08:21 PM
We need a HC that has built a program or sustained a program. No coordinator. We need an experienced head coach.

1) I think we might could make a run at Mike Gundy. His time at OK State is about over and I think we might could get him.

2) I think we need to see if Fuente would jump to the SEC from Va Tech.

3) Need to talk to Fedora.

4) Kyle Whittingham

5) Maybe Macintyre at Colorado

This to me is a sensible list and one that contains coaches we could get that have a track record.

Lolzzz come on bro

Taog Redloh
10-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Art Briles.

Dawg61
10-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Art Briles.

This is who I want to. He will have an undying pissed off disposition and constant urge to prove his doubters wrong for the rest of his coaching career. There will be no doubting his want to. Hell we could probably pay him shit money he's so pissed off right now. I like the idea of hiring the biggest piece of shit there is too since this is the angle that Old Misses went we can one billion up them with Briles. Oh yea and he scores 70 points a game.

MetEdDawg
10-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Lolzzz come on bro

What's wrong with this list?

msstate7
10-08-2016, 08:56 PM

I like the list, but don't think we can pull 1-3. 4 and 5 may be possible

Taog Redloh
10-08-2016, 08:59 PM
This is who I want to. He will have an undying pissed off disposition and constant urge to prove his doubters wrong for the rest of his coaching career. There will be no doubting his want to. Hell we could probably pay him shit money he's so pissed off right now. I like the idea of hiring the biggest piece of shit there is too since this is the angle that Old Misses went we can one billion up them with Briles. Oh yea and he scores 70 points a game.
Dawgs61 I honestly think everyone will pass on him this year. He'll be there for us if we want him after next season. I hate to think that far into the future but it is what it is.

Taog Redloh
10-08-2016, 09:00 PM

Do I really need to answer this? I'll make it simple, it's a pipe dream.

DogsofAnarchy
10-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Let's go with Franklin !! Why not!!

QUOTE=msstate7;626667]Let's say Texas, ND, penn state, and lsu (not retain O) make moves this year. If you had to choose one of strong, Kelly, franklin, miles, or O, which would you choose?[/QUOTE]

monroedawg5646
10-08-2016, 09:01 PM
I would like to see us get back to playing solid defense. Nothing like a physical defense with bad intentions. Scoring a lot of points is cool and all, but teams with good defense normally end up holding the trophies. I haven't saw this name brought up one time. Brent Venables. Feel free to shoot holes all in this. Just a thought....

msstate7
10-08-2016, 09:07 PM
What about Ken Niumatalolo? I know it's triple option, but that seems to be a good fit with our state. He's 72-38 at navy... he's been at navy 9 years and won 8 or more 7 times with a 10 and an 11 win season.

Taog Redloh
10-08-2016, 09:18 PM
What about Ken Niumatalolo? I know it's triple option, but that seems to be a good fit with our state. He's 72-38 at navy... he's been at navy 9 years and won 8 or more 7 times with a 10 and an 11 win season.

Mstate he's my #2 behind Briles. I'd also take Paul Johnson or Rich Rod.

DudyDawg
10-08-2016, 09:56 PM
If rather go 3-9 than run a triple option.

Backspin
10-08-2016, 10:13 PM
Fedora will never leave Chapel Hill for Starkville regardless of the money...tough situation right now...Mullen clearly doesn't want to be in Starkville any more...he thought he was out over past 2 years with unprecedented success at State and did't recruit well...new AD coming in...I never would have dreamed this situation 2 years ago but it will get uglier...I watched this team closely today and there was very little effort...Mullen has lost this team

TimberBeast
10-08-2016, 10:13 PM
Art Briles.

I would flip a coin on the list, any of them could be better than what we have now with little effort. But you don't go near briles. That is not a possibility for us and I'm glad it's not.

CadaverDawg
10-08-2016, 10:33 PM

Has the makings of a future big time guy

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-pj-fleck-western-michigan-greenstein-spt-1007-20161006-column,amp.html?client=safari

Dawg61
10-08-2016, 10:47 PM
I would flip a coin on the list, any of them could be better than what we have now with little effort. But you don't go near briles. That is not a possibility for us and I'm glad it's not.

Do you think there's one Louisville fan right now that gives a shit about what Petrino did at Arkansas to get fired or are they all too busy being thrilled with their top 10 team?

TimberBeast
10-08-2016, 10:50 PM
Do you think there's one Louisville fan right now that gives a shit about what Petrino did at Arkansas to get fired or are they all too busy being thrilled with their top 10 team?

Petrino is the shit. How in the hell can you even compare him and briles. If you want a briles comparison you are going to have to start moving towards Sandusky joe pa type stuff.

msstate7
10-08-2016, 10:50 PM

Lying to your boss and covering up rape aren't equal

Dawg61
10-08-2016, 10:53 PM
Lying to your boss and covering up rape aren't equal

Why give him money in a settlement then?

BayouDawg
10-08-2016, 11:07 PM

Honestly if we're going to not recruit worth a shit we might as well get a coach that runs the triple option. You don't need superior athletes and it's fairly easy to learn while defenses cant really prepare for all the cut blocking.

Dawg61
10-08-2016, 11:10 PM
Honestly if we're going to not recruit worth a shit we might as well get a coach that runs the triple option. You don't need superior athletes and it's fairly easy to learn while defenses cant really prepare for all the cut blocking.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/spoonuniversi-wpengine/spoonuniversi/wp-content/uploads/sites/43/2014/10/no-Steve-Carell-The-Office-GIF.gif

BayouDawg
10-08-2016, 11:14 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/spoonuniversi-wpengine/spoonuniversi/wp-content/uploads/sites/43/2014/10/no-Steve-Carell-The-Office-GIF.gif

lol I know man. I really don't want that either. I think I'm just depressed

msstate7
10-08-2016, 11:23 PM

Unless we go all-in like om, we will have a very tough time finding a coach that can out recruit bama, lsu, auburn, and aTm. We can and certainly should recruit with om and Arkansas assuming neither is cheating excessively. So we have to find a way to neutralize the talent gap we will almost always be facing... Mullen's redshirting process could work if we get better talent to start with or a gimmicky offense (like the triple option) is our best bet

BayouDawg
10-08-2016, 11:34 PM
Unless we go all-in like om, we will have a very tough time finding a coach that can out recruit bama, lsu, auburn, and aTm. We can and certainly should recruit with om and Arkansas assuming neither is cheating excessively. So we have to find a way to neutralize the talent gap we will almost always be facing... Mullen's redshirting process could work if we get better talent to start with or a gimmicky offense (like the triple option) is our best bet

I think everyone knows we'll never be a top 10 composite recruiter but there is absolutely no reason we can't be in the high teens and 20s. The reason we don't have adequate o line talent is because Hev only offers players that come to our camp. You've gotta go out and beat the bushes to find good o line talent especially in Mississippi.
There is also no reason for our defensive backs to be so putrid. Mississippi has always produced an abundance of servicable defensive backs. When Mullen cared we used to get as many of the dandy dozen as we wanted.
All of our recruiting problems aren't due to ole miss cheating that's a cop out and an excuse for our coach's laziness. We are currently well under the 85 man limit and that's why we are having to sign all these juco guys that may or may not pan out.

msstate7
10-08-2016, 11:40 PM
I think everyone knows we'll never be a top 10 composite recruiter but there is absolutely no reason we can't be in the high teens and 20s. The reason we don't have adequate o line talent is because Hev only offers players that come to our camp. You've gotta go out and beat the bushes to find good o line talent especially in Mississippi.
There is also no reason for our defensive backs to be so putrid. Mississippi has always produced an abundance of servicable defensive backs. When Mullen cared we used to get as many of the dandy dozen as we wanted.
All of our recruiting problems aren't due to ole miss cheating that's a cop out and an excuse for our coach's laziness. We are currently well under the 85 man limit and that's why we are having to sign all these juco guys that may or may not pan out.

I agree we have to make staff changes and recruit better. With that said if we get high teens or low 20s, that has us 5th in the west at best. We still have to find a way to close that gap to be competitive with the top teams in the west and I think triple option could be what we need... maybe more of what willie fritz does at Tulane than Ken N at navy. A super pass happy offense could help also

BayouDawg
10-08-2016, 11:43 PM
I agree we have to make staff changes and recruit better. With that said if we get high teens or low 20s, that has us 5th in the west at best. We still have to find a way to close that gap to be competitive with the top teams in the west and I think triple option could be what we need... maybe more of what willie fritz does at Tulane than Ken N at navy. A super pass happy offense could help also

I could get behind the guy from Tulane. He runs the triple option out the pistol if I'm not mistaken. I really like that

msstate7
10-08-2016, 11:44 PM
I could get behind the guy from Tulane. He runs the triple option out the pistol if I'm not mistaken. I really like that

If Mullen leaves this year, I would love to have willie fritz

BayouDawg
10-08-2016, 11:50 PM
If Mullen leaves this year, I would love to have willie fritz

I think I'll go to Tulane's next home game and get a first hand look. I don't think I'll be making the 5 hour drive to Starkville again this football season. Today was aweful. I had planned on staying til Monday cause I'm off work for Columbus Day but I just had to wash my hands of the situation.

msstate7
10-08-2016, 11:54 PM
I think I'll go to Tulane's next home game and get a first hand look. I don't think I'll be making the 5 hour drive to Starkville again this football season. Today was aweful. I had planned on staying til Monday cause I'm off work for Columbus Day but I just had to wash my hands of the situation.

Friday night at home vs Memphis. Should be a good game and with the ride home should keep you from watching ours haha

BayouDawg
10-08-2016, 11:58 PM
I'll plan on going but no promises. No matter how pissed I get at MSU athletics I always get sucked right back in.

PassInterference
10-09-2016, 12:30 AM
Mike Leach

What say ye?

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 12:40 AM
That dude is weird as dirt but he's hilarious. I don't know if he'd be able to get the players to run his system here. And if you think we're soft and finesse now, just wait and see what an air raid coach would bring in

TimberBeast
10-09-2016, 12:40 AM
Mike Leach

What say ye?

No way

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
10-09-2016, 01:17 AM
Why give him money in a settlement then?

I don't care why he was given money in a settlement....the guy is DAMAGED goods. Whether true or not, he's someone that MSU doesn't need to be associated with....I don't care if he scores 70 a game. We don't need the media backlash that will come with his hire. His defenses suck also, so he's got that going against him as well. If you're going to be competitive in the SEC....you're going to have to have a defense and his teams usually don't have them.

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 01:29 AM
I don't care why he was given money in a settlement....the guy is DAMAGED goods. Whether true or not, he's someone that MSU doesn't need to be associated with....I don't care if he scores 70 a game. We don't need the media backlash that will come with his hire. His defenses suck also, so he's got that going against him as well. If you're going to be competitive in the SEC....you're going to have to have a defense and his teams usually don't have them.

The media shits on us no matter what. We shouldn't make a hire based on what the media might say. If an Auburn or an Oregon hire Briles there may be a little backlash but it'll die down quick because they will say yea we hired him if you don't like it go **** yourself.

TimberBeast
10-09-2016, 01:33 AM
The media shits on us no matter what. We shouldn't make a hire based on what the media might say. If an Auburn or an Oregon hire Briles there may be a little backlash but it'll die down quick because they will say yea we hired him if you don't like it go **** yourself.

Yeah but can you pull for a team led by him or tell your kids to respect him? No on briles, period. It's not going to happen at State, thank goodness.

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 01:38 AM
Yeah but can you pull for a team led by him or tell your kids to respect him? No on briles, period. It's not going to happen at State, thank goodness.

Oh I'm not saying hire Briles at all. I just could care less about the media backlash. when a team like auburn or Oregon hires him though there won't be much backlash at all. Just like if we Had released Simmons and he had gone to bama or unm there wouldn't have been any backlash. Bottom line is the media craps on us because we allow it.
Also I think a lot of this has to do with most of your journalists in Texas are from UT. If this type of scandal had happened at UT the story would have never seen the light of day. Just like the Tennessee incident has been neatly swept under the rug.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
10-09-2016, 01:41 AM
You're absolutely right, we shouldn't hire Briles based on what the media might say. We shouldn't hire Briles because we don't need to be associated with him period and his defenses suck and then you have the media backlash that someone's going to get when they do hire him.......I just don't want it to be my team getting the backlash.

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 01:46 AM
You're absolutely right, we shouldn't hire Briles based on what the media might say. We shouldn't hire Briles because we don't need to be associated with him period and his defenses suck and then you have the media backlash that someone's going to get when they do hire him.......I just don't want it to be my team getting the backlash.

Oh I completely understand. I'm just saying don't be surprised if and when an Auburn or an Oregon hires Briles there won't be much if any backlash. They'll tell the media types where they can shove it. We on the other hand allow the media to do as they please to us. See the Simmons ordeal at SEC media days as exhibit A

tcdog70
10-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Here is my take. We are in the SEC west, We Are MSU. We can't do it like everyone else. we have to play out on the edge. The MCGuffin in this Story is recruiting. For little ole MSU to have a chance we must recruit like a Mfer . Now saying that who is the recruitingest mfer out there? The big O. He would be my number one. They I tell everyone to kiss my ass and sign Art Briles to come in with a hard on. I'm tired of being a big *****, you are either all in or get the **** out.

Really Clark?
10-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Here is my take. We are in the SEC west, We Are MSU. We can't do it like everyone else. we have to play out on the edge. The MCGuffin in this Story is recruiting. For little ole MSU to have a chance we must recruit like a Mfer . Now saying that who is the recruitingest mfer out there? The big O. He would be my number one. They I tell everyone to kiss my ass and sign Art Briles to come in with a hard on. I'm tired of being a big *****, you are either all in or get the **** out.

Many of the money guys and guys in power want to win and are trying to shake things up for it to happen. But Briles is not what they want to lead our program, recognize even with the disconnect with Mullen now that he has cleaned up and built a lot of foundation that they do not want Briles possibly destroying. Not to mention they do not want to give the NCAA a reason to be watching our program closely. Briles is an immediate lightening rod that only a few schools can withstand. Unless something changes drastically, just erase Briles from the discussion.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 01:29 PM

Count me out then... condoning rape is not worth winning football games to me

Virgil Caine
10-09-2016, 02:10 PM
How could you feel safe sending your kids to MSU if Briles is the HC?

dawgs
10-09-2016, 02:14 PM
jeff brohm at western kentucky should be considered. willie taggart at usf should also get a look.

BayouDawg
10-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Only State could squander the momentum of reaching #1 in less than 2 years with nothing to show for it. I mean why can't we have nice things?

tcdog70
10-09-2016, 04:38 PM
Count me out then... condoning rape is not worth winning football games to me

Condoning rape, a little extreme view there . Where ever Briles goes the chances of condoned rape are zero.He won't let mistake happen again. If you are worried about having a HC that is Rape aware then it would be Briles.

Really Clark?
10-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Condoning rape, a little extreme view there . Where ever Briles goes the chances of condoned rape are zero.He won't let mistake happen again. If you are worried about having a HC that is Rape aware then it would be Briles.

That's one of the weakest arguments to hiring a coach that morally bankrupted himself just to win games. He even lied about bringing a transfer on his team that had been dismissed from Boise because of an accusation. Peterson told him not to take him and why he was dismissed and Briles lied, saying he was never informed. Peterson publically called him out on the lie. This was before the investigation and being publically called out by one of his peers didn't cause him to reevaluate what he was doing.

Maroonthirteen
10-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Matt Rhule

If you can win at Temple, you can win anywhere. However I am sure he is waiting on the Penn St job as he turned down Syracuse and one other last year.

But he would be a good one to interview.

RougeDawg
10-09-2016, 05:01 PM

Anyone who cannot see why we not any respectable program should go near briles, needs a serious reality check. Aiding the coverup and silencing of crimes is never acceptable.

scottycameron
10-09-2016, 06:26 PM
How could you feel safe sending your kids to MSU if Briles is the HC?

Briles isn't going to rape anybody.

msstate7
10-09-2016, 06:27 PM

And he won't tell on you if you do

Really Clark?
10-09-2016, 06:56 PM

But he is ok bringing one to your campus just so he can win games and have staff members intimidate victims to keep the kids eligible and the issue covered up.

sleepy dawg
10-10-2016, 09:01 AM
Pump the brakes on O. He's coached 1 game at LSU.

DudyDawg
10-10-2016, 09:14 AM

Neither would Paterno. Wouldn't want anyone with those kinds of problems

Dawg61
10-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Anyone who cannot see why we not any respectable program should go near briles, needs a serious reality check. Aiding the coverup and silencing of crimes is never acceptable.

Why is Baylor giving him money for a settlement?

Really Clark?
10-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Why is Baylor giving him money for a settlement?

They settled in 24 hours instead of having another lawsuit going at the same time and they did not want further information coming out from the full investigation report. Briles was threatening to sue over wrongful termination and other claims and threatened to pull out as a co-Defendant with the University vs a victim who brought a lawsuit against them. It was strickly a leverage play as they were already in settlement talks over his remaining contract to get more money for that buyout. What also came out over his extorting them for more money, was during this 24 hour period when Briles attorney filed these motions, including seperating themselves from the Universities council in the lawsuit, they called the victims attorneys to say they would be at the mediation the following day to support and APOLOGIZE to her and her family. Then let that information get leaked solely for the purpose of extorting a bigger settlement. They settled in 24 hours and neither Briles nor his Attorney showed up to the mediation and have never apologized as they promised. The victims attorney immediately informed the press what happened and publically stated that they used the threat of helping the victim as a negotiation leverage. He doesn't give one damn about those girls, the cover up or the fact his staff intimidated victims to keep them silent. But this moot, our Pres and power people are not going to sacrifice our integrity to bring on this snake. And that's not just speculation. Many many many things and people would have to do a 180 for he to even get a call to interview.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
10-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Strong out of that 5. Did pretty darn good at Louisville in over his head at TEXAS. Knows the south and Well respected in the Game.

DanDority
10-10-2016, 09:57 AM
I definitely don't want that earring wearing douche as our HC.

What coach wears earrings?

DanDority
10-10-2016, 10:05 AM
If rather go 3-9 than run a triple option.

Wholy buckets! Are you crazy?

DanDority
10-10-2016, 10:25 AM
For those of you who are dead set against the offense that Navy and Georgia Tech run. Please tell me why. In MS we have some of the absolute best running athletes in the country. With that offense your opponent will be very likely ill prepared to face you week after week. Just look what took place with Houston this past week. You know that Houston has better players than Navy. However, had Navy not lost to Air force last week, they'd be in the possible play off picture. Now tell me, do you think a coach wants to have to prepare his players for that offense for one game, when he will likely not face it again the rest of the season. Hell no, he wants to face an average everyday ordinary offense that his team faces every week.

Really Clark?
10-10-2016, 11:18 AM
For those of you who are dead set against the offense that Navy and Georgia Tech run. Please tell me why. In MS we have some of the absolute best running athletes in the country. With that offense your opponent will be very likely ill prepared to face you week after week. Just look what took place with Houston this past week. You know that Houston has better players than Navy. However, had Navy not lost to Air force last week, they'd be in the possible play off picture. Now tell me, do you think a coach wants to have to prepare his players for that offense for one game, when he will likely not face it again the rest of the season. Hell no, he wants to face an average everyday ordinary offense that his team faces every week.

You get down late they very seldom are able to come back. When playing teams that have time to prepare, like bowl games, they lose a high percentage of those games. Those teams don't run against SEC athletes on defense week end and week out. Maybe a legitimate dual threat option QB can keep the defense in check enough but a pure triple option against 8 SEC athletes in the box every week I believe would have a tough go.

msstate7
10-10-2016, 11:30 AM
You get down late they very seldom are able to come back. When playing teams that have time to prepare, like bowl games, they lose a high percentage of those games. Those teams don't run against SEC athletes on defense week end and week out. Maybe a legitimate dual threat option QB can keep the defense in check enough but a pure triple option against 8 SEC athletes in the box every week I believe would have a tough go.

I'm not so sure... sec teams are having to build defenses to stop passing teams these days, so I think defenses could struggle vs a pure running team with a very different blocking system.

I know the ACC isn't the sec, but Georgia tech isn't one of the more talented ACC schools and Johnson is 39-29 in ACC play... that's including his worst year in his career last season at 1-7 in ACC play. That means going into year 8 at GT, Johnson was 38-22 in ACC play

AROB44
10-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Have you been talking to Emory on the other side?

Really Clark?
10-10-2016, 12:26 PM
I'm not so sure... sec teams are having to build defenses to stop passing teams these days, so I think defenses could struggle vs a pure running team with a very different blocking system.

I know the ACC isn't the sec, but Georgia tech isn't one of the more talented ACC schools and Johnson is 39-29 in ACC play... that's including his worst year in his career last season at 1-7 in ACC play. That means going into year 8 at GT, Johnson was 38-22 in ACC play

He is 23-22 in conference play since 2010 through this season so far. He win totals since 2010 are 6, 8, 7, 7, 11, 3, and is 3-3 right now. His first two years and his 7th are his best years and his win percentage is .580 at GA Tech. Even if you don't adjust for stronger defenses that the SEC has on average VT traditionally has good defenses and a good DC. They have beat VT just once since 2010. I really think if he avg 7 wins per year for the last 6, then it's looks a lot like 6 wins on average at best with our division.