PDA

View Full Version : We have to be prepared to take advantage of this Ole Miss situation......

Taog Redloh
10-07-2016, 01:11 PM
If we can't sign a very strong class (esp from in-state) this year, it ain't ever gonna happen. LSU has coaching turmoil as well, so we should do well in Louisiana and south Mississippi. On top of this, we don't need any coaching turnover and rumors and crap like that. In other words if Mullen floats his name again and NSD sucks like last year I think most will be done with him. Especially if we aren't bowling and get beaten again by the soon to be exiled Bearsharks.

We really better not screw this up. Last year was semi-understandable, Ole Miss was on a high and Tunsil-Gate hadn't gone down. There can be no mistakes this time.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-07-2016, 01:18 PM
We have got to capitalize on this.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Best case scenario this year in state is getting Avery and Gay.

msstate7
10-07-2016, 01:28 PM
Best case scenario this year in state is getting Avery and Gay.

Abrams, Charles, and the juco wr at Hinds too maybe

missouridawg
10-07-2016, 01:29 PM
Any chance the LSU stuff helps us get Saadhiq Charles?

MedDawg
10-07-2016, 01:36 PM
If we can't sign a very strong class (esp from in-state) this year, it ain't ever gonna happen. LSU has coaching turmoil as well, so we should do well in Louisiana and south Mississippi. On top of this, we don't need any coaching turnover and rumors and crap like that. In other words if Mullen floats his name again and NSD sucks like last year I think most will be done with him. Especially if we aren't bowling and get beaten again by the soon to be exiled Bearsharks.

We really better not screw this up. Last year was semi-understandable, Ole Miss was on a high and Tunsil-Gate hadn't gone down. There can be no mistakes this time.

It's gonna take something official from the NCAA to come out before signing day. Otherwise, OM coaches will again lie to recruits with "9 over 3". The probation rumors may keep them from signing 1 or 2 5-star players, but the lies and "come play with Patterson and Greg Little" speeches and the ongoing recruiting money will help them sign a decent class in 2017.

Even AFTER Ole Miss gets hit hard, there will still be in-state players we want that will go to OM. There will always be a split of the best in-state players. There was when OM was a lot better than State around 2002-2003 and 2008-2009, and when State was better than OM in 2010-2011.

Now, if Ole Miss AND LSU AND Auburn AND A&M can all go down, then we can win more games and elevate our program. Would be nice if Saban could retire and Bama hire another Mike Shula, too.

maroonmania
10-07-2016, 01:42 PM

Even AFTER Ole Miss gets hit hard, there will still be in-state players we want that will go to OM. There will always be a split of the best in-state players. There was when OM was a lot better than State around 2002-2003 and 2008-2009, and when State was better than OM in 2010-2011.

Agree with this, besides those in-state recruits that might have grown up as a UNM fan, there are those recruits, and I know this will come as a shock to some, that very much LIKE getting NCAA prohibited extra benefits wherever they can get them. To some of them its probably more important than actually winning games, going to bowl games or being eligible for championships.

Dawgology
10-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Agree with this, besides those in-state recruits that might have grown up as a UNM fan, there are those recruits, and I know this will come as a shock to some, that very much LIKE getting NCAA prohibited extra benefits wherever they can get them. To some of them its probably more important than actually winning games, going to bowl games or being eligible for championships.

Impossible!!!***

confucius say
10-07-2016, 03:06 PM
There are going to be several openings this year. Too many for Dan not to be linked to some. So just get ready for that

oldtrickdawg
10-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Many of these kids have their hands out from the jump...As someone said, being paid benefits by a team on probation might appeal to them more than playing for pride/education/yadayada/ at State..We'll still have to compete aggressively if we can...I still suspect one of the reasons Mr. Mullen has recruited below par by some estimators is the swarming NCAA all over the state...Recruiting must be as slippery as owl poop these days and avoiding sanctions looks like challenge personified...

Todd4State
10-07-2016, 04:51 PM
It's gonna take something official from the NCAA to come out before signing day. Otherwise, OM coaches will again lie to recruits with "9 over 3". The probation rumors may keep them from signing 1 or 2 5-star players, but the lies and "come play with Patterson and Greg Little" speeches and the ongoing recruiting money will help them sign a decent class in 2017.

Now, if Ole Miss AND LSU AND Auburn AND A&M can all go down, then we can win more games and elevate our program. Would be nice if Saban could retire and Bama hire another Mike Shula, too.

Ole Miss will always get a few players in state. But IF we put ourselves in position we can clean up and potentially knock them out. 1994-1995 we weren't as consistent as a program. Ole Miss decided around 2002-2003 that they were going to recruit more nationally than locally and cheat their tail off. Plus Jackie was a pretty good recruiter. We couldn't take advantage last time because Dan has some recruiting deficiencies plus Ole Miss had a full deck of scholarships and they were going all out. They won't be able to do that when the hammer falls.

Goat is right- we need to take advantage of their probation when the hammer falls.

IMissJack
10-07-2016, 05:01 PM
There are going to be several openings this year. Too many for Dan not to be linked to some. So just get ready for that

Then Keenum needs to have a list ready as well.

AlSwearengen
10-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Losing Lashley to bama did serious damage to my outlook on our recruiting prowess. It amazes me that we have done as well on the field as we have considering we are hamstrung by Hevesy, Sallach, and Knox and the constant turnover at DC.

Todd4State
10-07-2016, 05:43 PM

Keenum is a sharp guy. We'll be ready if Dan leaves at the end of the season. That's why he wants to have an AD in place by November.

And at the risk of this turning into another monkey poop slinging contest if Dan leaves it might hurt us in recruiting short term but long term it could be good because we can a good recruiter a year to get things under his feet before the hammer falls on Ole Miss this summer.

I know how others feel about Dan and everyone knows how I feel so let's not rehash that.

RocketDawg
10-07-2016, 05:55 PM

He certainly will be mentioned as a candidate with all the openings that are coming up, or are potentially coming up. He's already being talked about for the LSU job. But he certainly has a sweet deal in Starkville ... making over $4M with $5M just a year or two away (and that's 25% ... few people get those sorts of raises), and perhaps most of all, relatively low expectations. Sure, we want to win them all, but if we don't we don't really get all that excited. They do get excited at LSU.

maroonmania
10-07-2016, 06:03 PM

Not extending Mullen's contract last year tells me that Keenum is not too worried about what Mullen does anymore.

oldtrickdawg
10-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Coa hing turnovers hurt a program as much as anything...We have certainly suffered both on the field and in recruiting with the turmoil on the defensive side... Coaches are always moving parts but out recent history of musical chairs on the D has been unsatisfactory, counter productive, and detrimental to the program..I don't know how much of it can be laid at the feet of the head coach but that's where the buck stops ultimately..Of course there has been a lot of movement at Forrest Gump U. , too...so who knows...

dawg27
10-07-2016, 06:31 PM

Yes we better advantage but it not looking like we are i mean we have 21 people commited and we are 21 in the ranking, by the time the others get more people commited we going to be in the 30s again.

TUSK
10-07-2016, 06:32 PM

LSU is, at best, "in transition"... AU is definitely "down"... with Mississippi nuked, that just leaves an above average A&M and an average Arkie with which to contend....

look back at '99....

DownwardDawg
10-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Any chance the LSU stuff helps us get Saadhiq Charles?

I'm afraid LSU will steal our QB commit.

msstate7
10-07-2016, 09:03 PM
I'm afraid LSU will steal our QB commit.

They have 2 committed already including a higher rated dual threat qb from Louisiana

DownwardDawg
10-07-2016, 09:04 PM
They have 2 committed already including a higher rated dual threat qb from Louisiana

Good. Because we have our guy. I don't want to lose him.

msstate7
10-07-2016, 09:09 PM

I agree

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
10-08-2016, 01:00 AM

Who would this be?

msstate7
10-08-2016, 01:12 AM
Who would this be?

Dual threat = Lowell narcisse (.9259)

MarketingBully
10-08-2016, 01:20 AM

Only way we lose Thompson is if we lose Mullen. I don't see that happening.

lamont
10-08-2016, 01:53 AM
Only way we lose Thompson is if we lose Mullen. I don't see that happening.

Mullen at State in 2017 is 50/50