PDA

View Full Version : June Early Signing Period on the Docket

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Will be interesting.......Could benefit staffs that are good evaluators

http://www.ncaa.org/aboutresourcesmedia-center/news/di-consider-early-signing-period-football?sf37967635=1

http://i.imgur.com/I7jGIU3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xs7BB6p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/87IMRah.jpg

TheRef
10-05-2016, 05:13 PM
I think it passes with flying colors.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2016, 05:20 PM
I think it passes with flying colors.

Agree.

It will change recruiting. I will be interested to see how much the Alabama types pressure kids to hold off from signing & how much Ole Miss pays kids to hold off from signing.

It does feel like there has to be an out clause for the player though. If the coach leaves? If the school goes on probation? etc... Makes you wonder how this is going to work.

I will say it does mean that guys like Chris Jones, CJ Johnson, Scott Lashley, etc would have been already signed & sealed to MSU before Ole Miss or Alabama could get to them.

I think this is a complete positive for schools that follow the rules. It won't solve all the issues, but it could help

TheRef
10-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Agree.

It will change recruiting. I will be interested to see how much the Alabama types pressure kids to hold off from signing & how much Ole Miss pays kids to hold off from signing.

It does feel like there has to be an out clause for the player though. If the coach leaves? If the school goes on probation? etc... Makes you wonder how this is going to work.

I will say it does mean that guys like Chris Jones, CJ Johnson, Scott Lashley, etc would have been already signed & sealed to MSU before Ole Miss or Alabama could get to them.

I think this is a complete positive for schools that follow the rules. It won't solve all the issues, but it could help

Mullen has been the biggest advocate for this. He has pushed the hardest for the early signing period. He is looking out for the PSAs (Potential Student Athletes).

Taog Redloh
10-05-2016, 05:24 PM
This can only help teams like MSU. It cancels out the bully tactics used by the bluebloods, as Wolken alluded to.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Mullen has been the biggest advocate for this. He has pushed the hardest for the early signing period. He is looking out for the PSAs (Potential Student Athletes).

Agree. Maybe this legislation changes Mullen's long term outlook on if you can win big at MSU.

Jalen Hurts is a good example. Saban just waited for Mullen to find his QB & then offered the same guy. This helps MSU a ton

HSVDawg
10-05-2016, 06:31 PM
It will certainly help staffs that can identify talent early before kids blow up during their senior year. It definitely would have saved us a bunch of headaches with Chris Jones. But it has drawbacks too. You sign a guy in June, he tears his ACL in September of his senior year and you are kinda stuck with him. Overall, I think it will just pull everything ahead a little bit. Definitely can't hurt MSU though.

nsvltndog
10-05-2016, 06:40 PM
It's an awesome idea that has been a long time coming. The big boys will adapt to the rule, but no doubt it erodes one of their advantages.

Are juniors allowed to come to take official visits? If not that may need to be addressed.

Bothrops
10-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Im all for it, but most of the top 300 guys are still gonna play the game and sign in Feb. It will help in getting the under the radar guys pinned on the spot, though.

HSVDawg
10-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Im all for it, but most of the top 300 guys are still gonna play the game and sign in Feb. It will help in getting the under the radar guys pinned on the spot, though.

Good point. It might be similar to basketball in that regard.

Irondawg
10-05-2016, 07:42 PM
I'm not a huge fan of June though b/c that's still before a lot of camps where coaches generally want to see players before their Sr. year. I wish they would do it Aug 1 instead

bulldawg28
10-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Make it happen

Ifyouonlyknew
10-05-2016, 08:18 PM
December is cool but June is too early. Some schools will just have started summer camps.

Todd4State
10-05-2016, 10:43 PM
I like the fact that it rewards coaching staffs that evaluate talent well- which is how it should be. June does seem a little early but I don’t foresee that being the main time for signings. I think you will only see a few guys sign per class if I had to guess. December is good- they’ll probably just use the JUCO signing date which I also think is a great time to do that. I think February will still be the main time for the class signings because I can’t see the December date being before the major National All-Star games like the Army AAG and there are always going to be guys that want to have their hat party.

smootness
10-06-2016, 08:01 AM

Yep. There's very little benefit to those guys in signing early.