PDA

View Full Version : Stay Safe out there BrunswickDawg

BeastMan
10-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Brunswick is our resident south GA poster and he has a hurricane headed his way. Stay safe out there bud and give us some updates. Best wishes, positive thoughts, prayers and all headed your way.

starkvegasdawg
10-04-2016, 02:45 PM
I reserve the right to be just a little jealous. Chasing a hurricane was something I hoped to scratch off my list this year, but none came close enough.

msstate7
10-04-2016, 02:50 PM
I reserve the right to be just a little jealous. Chasing a hurricane was something I hoped to scratch off my list this year, but none came close enough.

Chasing a hurricane is probably much cooler than it chasing you (home and family)

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys. This will be me Friday..
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fkBLBOM-el0/hqdefault.jpg

It is the hazard of living the Salt Life lifestyle.**
In all seriousness, this could get rough. Coastal GA is way over due for a big one - the last one causing damage being Dora in '64. The last big one to hit here was 1898, which put downtown Brunswick under 7 feet of water. Many people don't know this but between 1800 and 1900, hurricanes in Georgia killed over 3500 people. The shallows of the coast intensify the storm surges, and if there is rain ahead of the storm - like right now - there is no where for the water to go. We have already shifted HS football to Thursday, and it looks like they will cancel schools and send all us bureaucrats home for the day.

I'm supposed to bring #1 child to Starkville on Sunday to go to Preview Day on Monday. Hopefully it passes and we can still make the trip.
I'll give y'all some reports if I can.

ETA: Don't forget our poster shrimp up in Savannah - looks like they will get hit too

Bully13
10-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys. This will be me Friday..
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fkBLBOM-el0/hqdefault.jpg

It is the hazard of living the Salt Life lifestyle.**
In all seriousness, this could get rough. Coastal GA is way over due for a big one - the last one causing damage being Dora in '64. The last big one to hit here was 1898, which put downtown Brunswick under 7 feet of water. Many people don't know this but between 1800 and 1900, hurricanes in Georgia killed over 3500 people. The shallows of the coast intensify the storm surges, and if there is rain ahead of the storm - like right now - there is no where for the water to go. We have already shifted HS football to Thursday, and it looks like they will cancel schools and send all us bureaucrats home for the day.

I'm supposed to bring #1 child to Starkville on Sunday to go to Preview Day on Monday. Hopefully it passes and we can still make the trip.
I'll give y'all some reports if I can.

ETA: Don't forget our poster shrimp up in Savannah - looks like they will get hit too

Musta been all those 19th century SUVS and shit.

starkvegasdawg
10-04-2016, 07:06 PM
Chasing a hurricane is probably much cooler than it chasing you (home and family)

Definitely. No argument there.

Commercecomet24
10-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Keep your head down over there. Hope you come out the other side safe and sound.

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2016, 09:23 PM

As Hermine was making landfall on the Gulf Coast of Florida I was driving from Orlando to Lake City. I can definitely agree with this statement.

I've ridden out half a dozen or so TSs and a couple of Cat 1s. Rum makes it tolerable. I don't think I'll hang around for anything bigger.

starkvegasdawg
10-04-2016, 09:29 PM
If or when we get one on the ms/Al coasts I've got a couple parking garages picked out as where I'd set up. I know cat 3 or less and I'd go. Above that I'd have to think long and hard about it.

msstate7
10-04-2016, 09:33 PM
If or when we get one on the ms/Al coasts I've got a couple parking garages picked out as where I'd set up. I know cat 3 or less and I'd go. Above that I'd have to think long and hard about it.

What do you do while chasing a hurricane?

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2016, 09:38 PM
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/movie-inventions/images/1/1d/Dorothy_I_01.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140824211140

starkvegasdawg
10-04-2016, 09:53 PM

Depends how strong it is. A relatively weak one I'd be out filming the waves rolling in and try to position myself to be in the eye. For a strong one I'd probably stay in my protected location and mainly stick to wind measurements. Those measurements I would relay back to the national weather service along with the severeity of observed storm surge and the degree of damage I was seeing. That would allow the NWS to better fine tune any advisories they put out and allow emergency managers and first responders coming in after the storm an idea of what to expect so they have a better idea of what level of search and rescue might be needed.

msbulldog
10-05-2016, 06:29 AM
Stay safe Brunswick and Shrimp.

BrunswickDawg
10-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Just got word a voluntary evacuation has been ordered for the islands. Schools are closing after today. Brunswick and mainland Glynn County not under order. Non-essential government personnel (me) getting cut lose tomorrow at noon. Local EMA advising is that TS force winds should begin Thursday night, with possible hurricane force late Friday into Saturday. We will probably ride it out at my parents house further inland. Will probably depend on the power situation.

I do wish I could go surfing right now instead of being in the office. The waves are choice right now.

shrimp
10-05-2016, 09:45 AM
All of my kids are out of school today thru Friday. No evacuations for Chatham County, yet. My plant is shutting down Friday for sure, and possibly Thursday, as well. I would expect Chatham County to make the call on evacuation some time today, but based on current forecasted tracks, I don't think they'll call for a mandatory evac. I hope to shelter in place and hopefully keep power from noon to 4 on Saturday!

BrunswickDawg
10-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Just got mandatory evacuation call from EMA - everything east of I-95 in Glynn County.

Our current forecast calls for sustained winds of 50-60 miles per hour with gusts up to 90 miles per hour for a period of 24-28 hours for the Glynn County area. Seven to 10 inches of rain are forecast in addition to storm surge levels of 4-8 feet with wave action of 20-25 feet.

I happen to be at a high point in my neighborhood at 11 feet above sea level - but I am 1/2 a mile from the marsh/St. Simons sound. The Skidaway Oceanographic Institute in Savannah has a coastal hazard model that shows flooding all around me but my house high and dry. I am more worried about the 7 live oaks in my yard and the damage they can do with 75 mph winds and 6-12 inches of rain. Kids and wife are currently battening down the hatches and making sure the yard is man-made projectile free while I am buttoning up items for my duties with the City. Looking more and more likely we will head to my parents 10 miles inland just to be safe. Going to be an interesting couple of days.

LC Dawg
10-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Stay safe Brunswick and shrimp.

Gutter Cobreh
10-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Looking more and more likely we will head to my parents 10 miles inland just to be safe. Going to be an interesting couple of days.

I'm a few hours inland from you and hoping it all turns out well for you and your family. Better to be safe in this situation and I'm sure your folks will be glad to have you guys.

shrimp
10-06-2016, 12:05 PM
We ended up evacuating last night, ahead of the mandatory evacuations issued for us today. Glad we did.

My wife's company set up a mobile customer support center in Atlanta and she got voluntold to work it. Hotel on the company! Just hope we have a house to go back to.

Political Hack
10-06-2016, 12:35 PM
Y'all be safe. We'll be following along. Hopefully that right eye wall being out at sea will help keep the surge from being as intense as it otherwise would've.

I seen it dawg
10-06-2016, 04:12 PM
Stay safe and be smart fellas

FISHDAWG
10-06-2016, 05:55 PM

one will be coming through Oxford soon enough - stay patient

BrunswickDawg
10-07-2016, 09:35 AM
Day 3 of Hurricane watch has begun. Still in hurry up and wait mode as the storm impacts aren't supposed to hit heavy till tonight. Daytona is getting walloped though, and Jacksonville is flooding pretty heavily. Not to jinx it, but the last reports show it shifting away from us and we are only shown to be getting TS force winds and 1-3 feet of storm surge.

starkvegasdawg
10-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Daytona getting rain you say?

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/750x422/quality/95/http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/05/daytonafloodingmay2009.jpg

BrunswickDawg
10-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Daytona getting rain you say?

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/750x422/quality/95/http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/05/daytonafloodingmay2009.jpg
I saw that. I'd love to know if that is a straightaway or one of the banked curves. If it is a curve, it is an insane amount of water.

DancingRabbit
10-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Just saw where that Daytona pic is from 2009.

starkvegasdawg
10-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Just saw where that Daytona pic is from 2009.

Makes sense. Was just coming on to wonder if it had been photoshopped. I saw it didn't look as though it was raining in that pic and Daytona is still getting rain. Plus, radar estimated precip totals is under 4", and I doubt that would be enough rain to do that.

BrunswickDawg
10-07-2016, 01:02 PM
This video is via WSB Tv ATL is from Marshside Grill (known as Spankys to any of you who have been here for FLETC).
It is less than 1/2 mile from my house

https://www.facebook.com/RossCavittWSB/posts/672951076204821

shrimp
10-07-2016, 04:18 PM
This video is via WSB Tv ATL is from Marshside Grill (known as Spankys to any of you who have been here for FLETC).
It is less than 1/2 mile from my house

https://www.facebook.com/RossCavittWSB/posts/672951076204821

Just saw that pic. The dunes on Tybee have been breached. High tide again at 1am, just as the eye will be passing by.

Also, River Street in downtown Savannah is taking on water.

BrunswickDawg
10-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Eye of the storm is passing us now. I'm 25 miles from the beach and winds have been sustained at 35 for over 3 hours. We have had just over 6 inches of rain today.

However, I have no idea what to expect when we get back to the house. The reports are half my neighborhood under about 3 feet of water with highest surge happening now but a good 6 hours of rain ahead and the tide is shifting to incoming. From what I have seen, St Simons and Jekyll may be heavily damaged - especially beachfronts and the rivers. Thankfully everyone we know is safe, but the recovery will take some time.

RocketDawg
10-07-2016, 09:04 PM
Just saw a live report from Brunswick on the Weather Channel. Never knew exactly where the town is.

Looks like Charleston is going to catch the brunt of the storm. I guess it's bad enough, but nothing like the Cat 4 that was predicted for this time period just last night.

BrunswickDawg
10-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Normally don't bump old threads but...

Was able to get back to the house mid day yesterday by skirting road blocks by GSP. My house is good. My family is good, and the whole area seems to have come off without substantial damage to anything other than lots of downed trees and power lines. A lot of power has been restored on the mainland but not to the islands. My house is still without power but it looks like we will have it before the end of the day.

Things are good enough that my daughter and I left and are on the road to Starkville for preview day tomorrow.

Thanks for the PMs and well wishes as we dodged a big, big bullet.

I seen it dawg
10-09-2016, 01:10 PM
Good news. Safe travels