PDA

View Full Version : Dave Bartoo pisses on State

lamont
10-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Dave Bartoo @ CFBMatrix

@BoBounds If you're trying to find a coach that can win the SEC West title at MSU I'll bet you are never going to find it.

msstate7
10-03-2016, 07:45 PM
We've already found him... Jackie Sherrill

TXDawg
10-03-2016, 07:49 PM
You piss on the football program everyday. Why should this bother you?

msstate7
10-03-2016, 07:51 PM
I hate when guys speak in absolutes... the sec west won't always be great. Conference power comes and goes... 5 years from now the big 10 could be the dominant conference with urban and harbaugh winning titles year-in, year-out

msstate7
10-03-2016, 07:51 PM

Upvote

Gutter Cobreh
10-03-2016, 07:59 PM

Reputation added.

oldwave
10-03-2016, 08:00 PM

Along with a lot of others. Double upvote !!!

thf24
10-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Pretty soon people are going to get tired of these inflammatory, contrarian shock jocks and stop paying attention. It was a clever angle when it was just a few of them, but now that you've got all these wannabees coming out of the woodwork and doing it, it's too much of a reminder that it's cheap, lazy journalism.

lamont
10-03-2016, 08:08 PM

How so?

gtowndawg
10-03-2016, 08:10 PM
We've already found him... Jackie Sherrill

Nice

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Dave Bartoo @ CFBMatrix

@BoBounds If you're trying to find a coach that can win the SEC West title at MSU I'll bet you are never going to find it.

But I guess OM can huh? But can they without cheating? I'm sick and tired of these national guys not addressing how these Mfers are able to achieve what little success they've had.

Harrydawg
10-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Exactly, it's OK to talk bad your own, but I'll dare anyone else do it........

BeastMan
10-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Bartoo is an analytics guy. MSU does not fit his analytical prototype to win the SEC. He's actually very complimentary of Mullen.

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2016, 08:20 PM
Bartoonis an analytics guy. MSU does not fit his analytical prototype to win the SEC. He's actually very complimentary of Mullen.

Of course, that seems to be the perception. All Mullen and no MSU.

What an awesome system we have in college football where most extremely passionate fan bases have no realistic shot of winning.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-03-2016, 08:27 PM
I am guessing his stance is based on recruiting more than quality of coaching he thinks we have/can get. MSU has to get more talent.

dawgday166
10-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Bartoo does think MSU is about the worst place in the country to coach. And he thinks Mullen is as good a coach as there is in the country cause of this.

dawgday166
10-03-2016, 08:37 PM
I hate when guys speak in absolutes... the sec west won't always be great. Conference power comes and goes... 5 years from now the big 10 could be the dominant conference with urban and harbaugh winning titles year-in, year-out

We agree again SMH ******

msstate7
10-03-2016, 08:39 PM
I am guessing his stance is based on recruiting more than quality of coaching he thinks we have/can get. MSU has to get more talent.

No doubt we need better talent, but I can't help but wonder how well bartoo's fool proof system picked mizzou in the sec east during their sec east title run. Most likely mizzou would've "never" found a coach capable of winning the east.

gravedigger
10-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Dave Bartoo @ CFBMatrix

Lah tee dah

gravedigger
10-03-2016, 08:47 PM
No doubt we need better talent, but I can't help but wonder how well bartoo's fool proof system picked mizzou in the sec east during their sec east title run. Most likely mizzou would've "never" found a coach capable of winning the east.

Ding ding.

Like recruiting classes and political primaries, these idiots pretend they knew it all along. Only to disappear like the proverbial fart in the wind.

Tell him Barrett Sallee says ******* seat is hot, or not, oh wait, yes, or something......heard it here first.

mic
10-03-2016, 09:02 PM
JWS says go **** urself..

Tripp McNeely
10-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Dave Bartoo @ CFBMatrix

Who the hey is Dave Bartoo??

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-03-2016, 09:14 PM

Its dumb to make a blanket statement. Coaching definitely matters but it's not a coincidence that the best teams are always on top of the recruiting rankings.

Anyways, these next two games are crucial to Mullen. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

maroonmania
10-03-2016, 09:39 PM

Surprised a guy that claims to be so knowledgeable could be so ignorant. First, as stated, we've already won the West once and Jackie not only won it but was in the running to win it in the last few weeks in 99 and 2000 as well. And of course in 2014 we were a 5 point loss to Bama from winning the West.

HSVDawg
10-03-2016, 09:58 PM
What an awesome system we have in college football where most extremely passionate fan bases have no realistic shot of winning.

Dude, are you going to continue this Debbie Downer BS from now until the end of time? Most people are fine with the system as it is. The big money schools with long historical track records will continue to be the ones who have the most advantages, but that is the same with most all sports. You want a ray of hope? Look at Clemson. Another relatively isolated small town ag school with most of the same disadvantages as MSU, yet they have slowly built themselves into a national title contender for 2 years in a row now. And they outplayed the mighty Crimson Tide and all their 5 stars on both offense and defense last January, with Saban relying on an onside kick and a punt return for a TD to win. We're not 5 years away or even 10 years away from getting to that level most likely, but we are trending in the right direction. If we make the right hire when Mullen eventually does move on (whenever that is), that will go a long way to removing our perceived flash in the pan status and put us on long term solid footing. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither are Top 10 college football programs.

Dawgface
10-03-2016, 10:03 PM
Never heard of Dave.

starkvegasdawg
10-03-2016, 10:15 PM
Isn't Bartoo and old Cherokee Indian word that means "pees sitting down"?

Virgil Caine
10-03-2016, 10:19 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dave+Bartoo+%40+CFBMatrix+%40BoBounds+If+ you%27re+trying+to+find+a+coach+that+can+win+the+S EC+West+title+at+MSU+I%27ll+bet+you+are+never+goin g+to+find+it.&oq=Dave+Bartoo+%40+CFBMatrix+%40BoBounds+If+you%27 re+trying+to+find+a+coach+that+can+win+the+SEC+Wes t+title+at+MSU+I%27ll+bet+you+are+never+going+to+f ind+it.&aqs=chrome..69i57.1025j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://twitter.com/CFBMatrix?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7 Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Where's the tweet where he said this? I scrolled through his timeline back to Sept. 1

BeastMan
10-03-2016, 10:21 PM

Yes. He believes to have a shot at the titles you have to be a top 15 recruiter for your 4 year composite.

DancingRabbit
10-03-2016, 10:26 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dave+Bartoo+%40+CFBMatrix+%40BoBounds+If+ you%27re+trying+to+find+a+coach+that+can+win+the+S EC+West+title+at+MSU+I%27ll+bet+you+are+never+goin g+to+find+it.&oq=Dave+Bartoo+%40+CFBMatrix+%40BoBounds+If+you%27 re+trying+to+find+a+coach+that+can+win+the+SEC+Wes t+title+at+MSU+I%27ll+bet+you+are+never+going+to+f ind+it.&aqs=chrome..69i57.1025j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://twitter.com/CFBMatrix?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7 Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Where's the tweet where he said this? I scrolled through his timeline back to Sept. 1

https://twitter.com/CFBMatrix/status/783004376218554368

preachermatt83
10-03-2016, 10:30 PM
How so?

I noticed no one answered this ^^^

Bothrops
10-03-2016, 11:25 PM
Bartoo is an analytics guy. MSU does not fit his analytical prototype to win the SEC. He's actually very complimentary of Mullen.

He thinks no one else could win as many games here as Mullen. That's absolutely untrue, and I'm sick of people, mainly our own fans, going along with it.

As far as, breaking Mullen's ceiling and being a contender for the west, it would take a Petrino to achieve that, and would take 3-5 years.

Homedawg
10-03-2016, 11:33 PM
I don't know why everyone is going crazy about what he said, the odds say he's right. Yes we've done it once, but the odds are stacked against us, our division sorta dictates that. It's a tough side, who can argue that. And yeah I get it, we've won it before, so it can be done, so there's that

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2016, 11:37 PM
Dude, are you going to continue this Debbie Downer BS from now until the end of time? Most people are fine with the system as it is.

It is completely mind boggling how any MSU fan could be ok with the way the system currently is.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pageantry, tailgainting, and energy of college football, but way the sport is structured is straight bullshit and creates an endless of cycle of the same few teams winning every year.

You referenced Clemson. Do you really think Clemson built their program in a clean manner? How about taking Deshaun Watson out of Georgia or the Alexander kid we were competing with them for? Clemson plays in a far weaker division against many schools that could care less if they cheat or not. Additionally, their in state rival isn't even in the same conference. I'd love to hear a South Carolina fan's perspective on how Clemson attracts all this top talent while they can't. Would be an interesting listen and likely sound extremely familiar with what we are dealing with in MS.

Homedawg
10-03-2016, 11:43 PM
It is completely mind boggling how any MSU fan could be ok with the way the system currently is.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pageantry, tailgainting, and energy of college football, but way the sport is structured is straight bullshit and creates an endless of cycle of the same few teams winning every year.

You referenced Clemson. Do you really think Clemson built their program in a clean manner? How about taking Deshaun Watson out of Georgia or the Alexander kid we were competing with them for? Clemson plays in a far weaker division against many skills that could care less if they cheat or not. Additionally, their in state rival isn't even in the same conference. I'd love to hear a South Carolina fan's perspective on how Clemson attracts all this top talent while they can't. Would be an interesting listen and likely sound extremely familiar with what we are dealing with in MS.

I'm ok w it. Our nation is socialized enough, don't f w sports too make it "all fair" that's bs. And shotgun I'm a fan of most of your stuff, just not this one. We have our work cut out for us, that's life.

Todd4State
10-04-2016, 01:53 AM
Yes. He believes to have a shot at the titles you have to be a top 15 recruiter for your 4 year composite.

Once we start doing this- if we start doing this- I think our national profile will increase. It's interesting that these experts are starting to factor in recruiting rankings like they are nowadays because I do think that they are at least somewhat subjective.

msbulldog
10-04-2016, 05:57 AM
Isn't Bartoo and old Cherokee Indian word that means "pees sitting down"?

I'd have to say yeah.

Taog Redloh
10-04-2016, 09:09 AM
You want a ray of hope? Look at Clemson. Another relatively isolated small town ag school with most of the same disadvantages as MSU, yet they have slowly built themselves into a national title contender for 2 years in a row now.
Bad example. Clemson is located in a state with a population of 5 million, and the Clemson/Greenville area is much bigger than the whole Golden Triangle area. Clemson is more like Auburn than MSU, when it comes to resources.

Better comparisons to MSU are Kansas State, Washington State and Iowa State. We are at a MUCH bigger disadvantage than many of you realize. Not only is our town the smallest, and state the poorest, we are located geographically the closest to the greatest program of all time.

It's really hard NOT to be Debbie Downer. We have ONE advantage....we are located in a talent hotbed. But even then, we don't have as much as our competitors, and even still, it isn't enough.

That's why we, at MSU, have to innovate. We can't simply do what the big schools are doing. I would rather look and see what other schools similar to us are doing. There are two things that stands out to me when looking at K-State and MSU......both have won big with JUCOs and an old burly coach who knows how shit works.

Mullen gets this year and next. While I don't agree with his recruitment of JUCOs he's won enough, added some much needed offense and QB success. But if doesn't cut it, go get Art Briles. Hopefully though, Mullen wins next year and gets hired away. We can still get Briles.

Taog Redloh
10-04-2016, 09:11 AM
I'm with you. The butthurt is flowing. But facts are, it's going to be very difficult to win that title at MSU. It's like some have zero comprehension of geography, economy, demographics, etc. All these things create the equation for successful programs.

msstate7
10-04-2016, 09:25 AM
I'm with you. The butthurt is flowing. But facts are, it's going to be very difficult to win that title at MSU. It's like some have zero comprehension of geography, economy, demographics, etc. All these things create the equation for successful programs.

Very difficult? Yes. Very unlikely? Probably so. Impossible (synonym for never)? Nope... it's already happened.

Again, the sec west won't always be this strong. Saban brought this era of dominance to the sec west and who knows whether it will continue once he's gone. Personally I think the big 10 is about to have some serious championship runs with harbaugh and urban

dawgday166
10-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Very difficult? Yes. Very unlikely? Probably so. Impossible (synonym for never)? Nope... it's already happened.

Again, the sec west won't always be this strong. Saban brought this era of dominance to the sec west and who knows whether it will continue once he's gone.

I think so too and hope that we're in a position to take advantage of this when it happens.

Personally I think the big 10 is about to have some serious championship runs with harbaugh and urban

I think so too and am leaning towards add Fisher, Dabo, and Petrino to this mix. Not sure Dabo and Petrino can sustain it for a lengthy period tho at their schools.

thf24
10-04-2016, 09:39 AM
That's why we, at MSU, have to innovate. We can't simply do what the big schools are doing. I would rather look and see what other schools similar to us are doing. There are two things that stands out to me when looking at K-State and MSU......both have won big with JUCOs and an old burly coach who knows how shit works.

Mullen gets this year and next. While I don't agree with his recruitment of JUCOs he's won enough, added some much needed offense and QB success. But if doesn't cut it, go get Art Briles. Hopefully though, Mullen wins next year and gets hired away. We can still get Briles.

Are you saying we're not recruiting enough JUCO's? It's clear that it's becoming an increasingly less viable strategy as time goes on. You could regularly get elite players out of JUCO 10-15 years ago and have a lot of success recruiting them heavily a la Jackie, but now that both high schools and colleges are getting better at and working harder to get academically fringe signees cleared, the average talent level isn't nearly what it was. JUCO is still good for filling emergency needs and finding the occasional late bloomer or reformed troublemaker, but leaning heavily on it does not seem to be nearly the route to success it used to be and frankly not advisable.

HSVDawg
10-04-2016, 09:51 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love the pageantry, tailgainting, and energy of college football, but way the sport is structured is straight bullshit and creates an endless of cycle of the same few teams winning ever

You referenced Clemson. Do you really think Clemson built their program in a clean manner? How about taking Deshaun Watson out of Georgia or the Alexander kid we were competing with them for? Clemson plays in a far weaker division against many schools that could care less if they cheat or not. Additionally, their in state rival isn't even in the same conference. I'd love to hear a South Carolina fan's perspective on how Clemson attracts all this top talent while they can't. Would be an interesting listen and likely sound extremely familiar with what we are dealing with in MS.

Over the past 5 years, Clemson's average recruiting ranking is 13.4 and South Carolina's is 19.8. And that includes the last two classes for USC where Spurrier completely mailed in his last class and then they had the transition class with Muschamp. Clemson also has signed just one Top 10 class in the past 5 years and that class was ranked #9. On paper (according to the infallible recruiting rankings) there is no massive talent gap between those two programs. Clemson has just done more with what they brought in.

Also, you can talk all about weaker divisions in the ACC all you want to, but the fact remains the team they built last year completely outplayed Bama everywhere but special teams. That team would have won the SEC West last year if they played Bama at home and maybe even if they didn't. And the cheating talk is weak sauce, too. You bring up Deshaun Watson and how they plucked him out of Georgia? Well, how did we pluck Dak out of Louisiana when he had an LSU offer? Not to mention that the Georgia border is only like an hour and 15 minutes from their campus. Besides, the fact is that you have to cheat on some level just to get to a bowl game. Clemson isn't cheating any more than FSU, North Carolina, Louisville, or any SEC team.

dawgs
10-04-2016, 10:06 AM

You could make the argument that the big 10 is already better than the sec this year. Yeah they have dead weight at the bottom, but the bottom of the sec is pretty bad too this year. That includes us.

Acid mouth
10-04-2016, 10:07 AM

Have some more Rep kind sir! How dare someone else troll MSU

Taog Redloh
10-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Are you saying we're not recruiting enough JUCO's? It's clear that it's becoming an increasingly less viable strategy as time goes on. You could regularly get elite players out of JUCO 10-15 years ago and have a lot of success recruiting them heavily a la Jackie, but now that both high schools and colleges are getting better at and working harder to get academically fringe signees cleared, the average talent level isn't nearly what it was. JUCO is still good for filling emergency needs and finding the occasional late bloomer or reformed troublemaker, but leaning heavily on it does not seem to be nearly the route to success it used to be and frankly not advisable.

This may have a little truth in it but not completely true. Some guys develop late and others have questionable character. But we really have no other choice.

And yes, to answer your question, I don't think we're recruiting enough JUCOs, and we certainly are not getting the top talent from them. Look back at the influx of talent to our 2009 team.....most of them came from JUCO.

mparkerfd20
10-04-2016, 10:35 AM

I hate absolutes too, but Art Briles will NEVER coach football at Mississippi State. That's an absolute you can take to the bank. The sooner you accept this the less heartache.

smootness
10-04-2016, 10:53 AM
I hate absolutes too, but Art Briles will NEVER coach football at Mississippi State. That's an absolute you can take to the bank. The sooner you accept this the less heartache.

Briles is not going to be coaching anywhere unless it's at a tiny school. If someone doesn't understand why, then they don't understand what happened at Baylor.

MedDawg
10-04-2016, 11:40 AM

Part of that isn't that JUCO's aren't as good, it's the change in the SEC rules that force JUCOs to take one or more extra classes to transfer to the SEC. We've lost several good JUCO players to Big12 schools because they couldn't or didn't want to take the extra class(es).

We've also had some good JUCO players we just missed on, like Avery Gennesy at A&M (who also redshirted his first year at A&M). Looking up Gennesy, I see that A&M has five starters from JUCO, including two of their OL http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texasamaggies/2016/09/15/am-ot-avery-gennesy-went-last-chance-u-big-time-sec-football

Taog Redloh
10-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Briles is not going to be coaching anywhere unless it's at a tiny school. If someone doesn't understand why, then they don't understand what happened at Baylor.

Eh they said the same thing about King Jackie. It's not like Briles is a criminal himself. Many people could make those mistakes.

DancingRabbit
10-04-2016, 12:13 PM

No P5 program is going to hire him this year. But, Houston might take him back after Herman bolts.

BulldogBear
10-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Who the hey is Dave Bartoo??
One of the many "sports guys" worshipped by Bo Bounds.

BulldogBear
10-04-2016, 12:30 PM

Wasn't there some recruit advising others to take visits to Clemson and Ole Miss if you wanted lots of free stuff?

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Eh they said the same thing about King Jackie. It's not like Briles is a criminal himself. Many people could make those mistakes.

No they didn't. Jackie never did anything remotely like what Briles did. That was uncalled for.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Wasn't there some recruit advising others to take visits to Clemson and Ole Miss if you wanted lots of free stuff?

Isn't Clemson SC actually smaller than Starkville?

HSVDawg
10-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Isn't Clemson SC actually smaller than Starkville?

Yes. Considerably smaller. Maybe half the size. The city's setup is a little more college friendly than Starkville, but there ain't a whole lot to do or much night life.

Taog Redloh
10-04-2016, 01:13 PM
Yes. Considerably smaller. Maybe half the size. The city's setup is a little more college friendly than Starkville, but there ain't a whole lot to do or much night life.

So damn dumb. Ever heard of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA? All of that is within an hour of Clemson. Atlanta and Charlotte are both 2 hours from Clemson.

What's within an hour of Starkville? That's right, crickets. We do have Jackson, Memphis and Birmingham within 2 hours of Starkville though, so I guess that's good.

Give this up, dude. It's not a good example.

gtowndawg
10-04-2016, 01:32 PM

Do what?

https://media.giphy.com/media/BZ5MESIbdIeMo/giphy.gif

parabrave
10-04-2016, 02:04 PM
So damn dumb. Ever heard of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA? All of that is within an hour of Clemson. Atlanta and Charlotte are both 2 hours from Clemson.

What's within an hour of Starkville? That's right, crickets. We do have Jackson, Memphis and Birmingham within 2 hours of Starkville though, so I guess that's good.

I used to live up in Anderson. There were a good many Bankers up there who were state Grads. Anderson is about the size of Gulfport or Hattiesburg. Clemson is a one road town with a bigass Lake surrounding it. U used to be able to be sitting on your boat and look down into the stadium due to it being built in a valley. The main recruiting areas for Clemson are New York, New Jersey and North Georgia. The school attracts NY NJ because of its Engineering School.

HSVDawg
10-04-2016, 03:05 PM

Yeah, because college kids love driving an hour one way to go to the bar. This isn't about what is the best town to raise a family, it's what appeals to recruits. If you can't see that I can't help you.

The size of the town doesn't even have much to do with the original point, which is that you don't have to have Top 10 recruiting classes and a $150 million dollar athletic budget to compete with the big boys. Clemson has proven that. And you're an idiot if you think that they match Auburn in either one of those categories as you stated earlier.

Taog Redloh
10-04-2016, 03:21 PM
Yeah, because college kids love driving an hour one way to go to the bar. This isn't about what is the best town to raise a family, it's what appeals to recruits. If you can't see that I can't help you.

The size of the town doesn't even have much to do with the original point, which is that you don't have to have Top 10 recruiting classes and a $150 million dollar athletic budget to compete with the big boys. Clemson has proven that. And you're an idiot if you think that they match Auburn in either one of those categories as you stated earlier.

All the evidence is on my side. Clemson also already had a national championship from back in 1980, further proving that they have the resources in place to compete at that level.

Once you've started with the name calling you have conceded what I already knew - you made a bad example (3rd time I've told you this).

scottycameron
10-04-2016, 03:34 PM
If u can do it in Clemson you can do it in Starkville. You think the pricks in Oxfart think they can't do anything Clemson can do? No they don't. But for reason we do.

HSVDawg
10-04-2016, 03:38 PM
I used to live up in Anderson. There were a good many Bankers up there who were state Grads. Anderson is about the size of Gulfport or Hattiesburg. Clemson is a one road town with a bigass Lake surrounding it. U used to be able to be sitting on your boat and look down into the stadium due to it being built in a valley. The main recruiting areas for Clemson are New York, New Jersey and North Georgia. The school attracts NY NJ because of its Engineering School.

Not to refute your general point, but Anderson is about the same size as Starkville. Population of around 26k. Gulfport is well north of 60k and Hattiesburg is pushing 50k.

TrapGame
10-04-2016, 03:39 PM
If u can do it in Clemson you can do it in Starkville. You think the pricks in Oxfart think they can't do anything Clemson can do? No they don't. But for reason we do.

Well, the pricks in oxford are about to have unlubricated butt sex by the NCAA.

HSVDawg
10-04-2016, 04:21 PM
All the evidence is on my side. Clemson also already had a national championship from back in 1980, further proving that they have the resources in place to compete at that level.

Once you've started with the name calling you have conceded what I already knew - you made a bad example (3rd time I've told you this).

Well, unfortunately you repeating something a bunch of times doesn't make it true. I actually brought data to my side of the argument, however. All you brought was "but but but Greenville is only an hour away". Guess what, BYU also won a national title in the 80's. Are they some unattainably elite program that we could never hope to compare ourselves to?

By all means, please name a better example of a school with an $89 million athletic budget (ours is up around $100 million now, by the way) that also doesn't bring in Top 10 recruiting classes that happens to be a consistent national title contender in football. I'd love to hear it.

Schultzy
10-04-2016, 05:55 PM
If we had won the Egg bowl in 2014 we would've been in the playoff. A one loss team at Tuscaloosa is automatic and the SEC Championship game would've been a cake walk.

The train of thought that we wouldn't have just bc Arky smoked a top 15 UM team the week before is stupid. Having this conversation just two years removed from that makes me apoplectic.

parabrave
10-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Not to refute your general point, but Anderson is about the same size as Starkville. Population of around 26k. Gulfport is well north of 60k and Hattiesburg is pushing 50k.

Anderson counts as the whole county.

Taog Redloh
10-04-2016, 07:40 PM
Well, unfortunately you repeating something a bunch of times doesn't make it true. I actually brought data to my side of the argument, however. All you brought was "but but but Greenville is only an hour away". Guess what, BYU also won a national title in the 80's. Are they some unattainably elite program that we could never hope to compare ourselves to?

By all means, please name a better example of a school with an $89 million athletic budget (ours is up around $100 million now, by the way) that also doesn't bring in Top 10 recruiting classes that happens to be a consistent national title contender in football. I'd love to hear it.
LOL. Dude, no you didn't (bring data).

Now you're moving the goalposts to budget. That's not a linear relationship either, which you clearly don't understand.

Just curious, are you an engineer?

HSVDawg
10-04-2016, 08:02 PM
LOL. Dude, no you didn't (bring data).

Now you're moving the goalposts to budget. That's not a linear relationship either, which you clearly don't understand.

Just curious, are you an engineer?

I notice you didn't answer the question. Big surprise. But yes, long term recruiting rankings, athletic budget, demographic factors, and on the field performance are all things that qualify as data points in regards to comparing programs and schools to judge similarities and differences (all of which have been discussed). You literally aren't worth the keystrokes anymore.

Taog Redloh
10-04-2016, 08:42 PM
If we had won the Egg bowl in 2014 we would've been in the playoff. A one loss team at Tuscaloosa is automatic and the SEC Championship game would've been a cake walk.

The train of thought that we wouldn't have just bc Arky smoked a top 15 UM team the week before is stupid. Having this conversation just two years removed from that makes me apoplectic.

No, I don't think we would have. We had to beat Bama, and we failed. I think Ohio State (or TCU) would have gotten in over us even had we beaten Ole Miss.

Taog Redloh
10-04-2016, 08:45 PM
You literally aren't worth the keystrokes anymore.

Good decision.

Homedawg
10-04-2016, 09:01 PM

I'm sorry but Mississippi state and Clemson comparison is terrible. Other than small towns....that's where it starts and stops. But I admire the optimism.

Schultzy
10-04-2016, 09:07 PM
No, I don't think we would have. We had to beat Bama, and we failed. I think Ohio State (or TCU) would have gotten in over us even had we beaten Ole Miss.

Why? We had the far superior resume.

Taog Redloh
10-04-2016, 09:24 PM
Why? We had the far superior resume.

No we didn't. They had the B1G championship. They also played someone of substance out of conference. It's a national championship, not an SEC championship.

No way we would have gotten in, unless Auburn had beaten Alabama.

Homedawg
10-04-2016, 09:26 PM
No we didn't. They had the B1G championship. They also played someone of substance out of conference. It's a national championship, not an SEC championship.

Agree. We weren't getting in....

lamont
10-04-2016, 10:40 PM

We beat OM in 2014- we would have been in the playoff. We were 4th heading into the weekend for a reason.

Taog Redloh
10-05-2016, 08:33 AM
We beat OM in 2014- we would have been in the playoff. We were 4th heading into the weekend for a reason.

No. We were 4th because they judge on resume up to that point. After tOSU boat raced Wisconsin in the B1G ship and added another 2 notches to their resume, it was over. They also overtook TCU and Baylor.

dawgday166
10-05-2016, 09:36 AM
No. We were 4th because they judge on resume up to that point. After tOSU boat raced Wisconsin in the B1G ship and added another 2 notches to their resume, it was over. They also overtook TCU and Baylor.

I tend to agree with this. The only caveat is: We sure made it an easy decision for the selection committee by losing to OM. If we win that game it puts them in a more difficult spot to allow OSU to jump us to #4. But yes, I believe they would have done that anyway.

If Lville runs the table the rest of the way and destroys most everyone else in their path while Clemson doesn't lose another game, the committee may find themselves in that very position this year.

msstate7
10-05-2016, 09:45 AM
I tend to agree with this. The only caveat is: We sure made it an easy decision for the selection committee by losing to OM. If we win that game it puts them in a more difficult spot to allow OSU to jump us to #4. But yes, I believe they would have done that anyway.

If Lville runs the table the rest of the way and destroys most everyone else in their path while Clemson doesn't lose another game, the committee may find themselves in that very position this year.

Or Michigan vs Ohio state

dawgday166
10-05-2016, 09:55 AM
Or Michigan vs Ohio state

True. Bet those 2 would end up ahead of Lville in that case - what say you? Louisville needs to destroy everyone the rest of the way to have a very remote chance.

Right now I don't quite think Michigan is there yet as far as dominance. Harbaugh is good tho ... so they could be.

gravedigger
10-05-2016, 10:00 AM

If your evidence is clemsons nc in 1980 that was susequently tainted by danny ford and massive probation, then ole miss' national championships must be legimate too.

Poor argument.