PDA

View Full Version : Strong done after the season

GreenheadDawg
10-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Why wait until the season but already let it be known that the dude is fired? Doesn't make any sense. Also, LSU's hopes of landing Herman just went down the drain.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/report-charlie-strong-out-as-texas-coach-after-the-season-155551688.html

BrunswickDawg
10-03-2016, 11:54 AM
This offseason is going to be insane. You could easily see Texas, LSU, Baylor, USCw, Auburn, Penn State, Notre Dame, OK, Ok State, KY all looking for coaches. The domino effect is going to be epic.

BeardoMSU
10-03-2016, 11:55 AM
This offseason is going to be insane. You could easily see Texas, LSU, Baylor, USCw, Auburn, Penn State, Notre Dame, OK, Ok State, KY, and Ole Miss all looking for coaches. The domino effect is going to be epic.

FIFY**

tireddawg
10-03-2016, 11:56 AM
I was thinking the same thing. More reason to keep Mullen. Don't want to be shopping during all of that

msstate7
10-03-2016, 11:59 AM
I was thinking the same thing. More reason to keep Mullen. Don't want to be shopping during all of that

We may not be able to keep Mullen bc of all the turnover.

TNDawg35
10-03-2016, 12:02 PM
I kinda figured Texas would get rid of Strong at the end of this yr just due to them not wanting Herman to go anywhere else. I would bet they throw the bank at him...

I could see Mullen end up at Penn State. I think that is our nightmare. I believe they would come after him hard.

Cooterpoot
10-03-2016, 12:05 PM
I could see Mullen at Penn State or ND. Mullen is going to leave if he's get the chance.

BrunswickDawg
10-03-2016, 12:05 PM
FIFY**

I was only counting school who's subsequent hire would have an impact on other schools. OM's hire will only have an impact on an NAIA school, or maybe some high school guy like Rush Propst (Hoover got tired of him, and now Colquitt Co. is too) will get the nod.

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2016, 12:08 PM
We may not be able to keep Mullen bc of all the turnover.

This is my thought

If Mullen leaves though, I hope it's on the first round of hires & not the 2nd. Meaning, I hope he takes one of the first jobs instead one of the jobs vacated by someone who took the top jobs.

If Mullen leaves, we simply can't afford for this to drag into Christmas & Mullen taking a 2nd round hire to replace a coach that left for a bigger job, would be exactly that. Recruiting would to big a hit.

Here's an idea, what if MSU & Penn State just traded coaches?

I'm of the belief that Franklin is actually a good coach & that Penn State is absolutely toxic. He's won the SEC before & his act plays in the South

BeardoMSU
10-03-2016, 12:10 PM
I was only counting school who's subsequent hire would have an impact on other schools. OM's hire will only have an impact on an NAIA school, or maybe some high school guy like Rush Propst (Hoover got tired of him, and now Colquitt Co. is too) will get the nod.

Maybe they'll hire another women's basketball coach. Geno Auriemma > Hugh Freeze***

Irondawg
10-03-2016, 12:17 PM
Worst case this motivates Mullen to coach his ass off the rest of the season and we reap a benefit of it.

Dawg61
10-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Nobody is gonna hire Mullen at $4.25 mill a year and he's not taking a paycut to leave.

basedog
10-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Mullen to Texas

Couldn't blame him.

basedog
10-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Nobody is gonna hire Mullen at $4.25 mill a year and he's not taking a paycut to leave.

You read the rumor, Keenum knows 100% about Mullen and Lsu, they could pay, so could Texas. I'm betting he would take a pay cut now, there is a reason that his contract wasn't renewed.

TrapGame
10-03-2016, 12:24 PM
I'm of the belief that Franklin is actually a good coach & that Penn State is absolutely toxic. He's won the SEC before & his act plays in the South

I agree on Franklin. He performed a miracle at Vandy. He recruited well there and was coaching his ass off. We could do far worse than Franklin.

msstate7
10-03-2016, 12:25 PM

Franklin's contract at penn state is worth up to 4.5 million

basedog
10-03-2016, 12:28 PM
If Mullen leaves and gets a job at ND, Tx, or Penn State, he'd be the first in my lifetime to moving on to a better job or just getting another HC job! That would speak volumes.

HSVDawg
10-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Holy shit. If that plays out and Mullen moves on, we need to be all over getting Strong to Starkville. That could easily be another Howland type hire.

DawgInMemphis
10-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Jim Tressel's show cause ends this december...

Dawg61
10-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Franklin's contract at penn state is worth up to 4.5 million

Great, Penn State isn't firing Franklin this year or any year soon. The Penn State brand has been destroyed.

msstate7
10-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Holy shit. If that plays out and Mullen moves on, we need to be all over getting Strong to Starkville. That could easily be another Howland type hire.

I think strong would be a good hire also.

WinningIsRelentless
10-03-2016, 12:43 PM

Not no but hell no. You only need to hire offensive minded coaches this day and age.

Dawg61
10-03-2016, 12:43 PM
Jim Tressel's show cause ends this december...

Ok he's also the President for Youngstown State University

basedog
10-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Not no but hell no. You only need to hire offensive minded coaches this day and age.

+1 Unless you hire Saban.

BrunswickDawg
10-03-2016, 12:44 PM

I don't know about that. The results at Texas have me questioning his quality as a coach.

ShotgunDawg
10-03-2016, 12:52 PM
I don't know about that. The results at Texas have me questioning his quality as a coach.

Difficult to say. Texas is a toxic dumpster fire & he inherited country club that Mack Brown built.

I think Strong is a good coach, but I'm not sure he fits at MSU.

In my personal opinion, MSU needs an offensive minded coach that can develop QBs. In today's college football, I don't think MSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Auburn, Tennessee, etc can accumulate enough talent on the defensive side of the ball to compete for championships with the defense being the strongest part of the team.

However, as we've seen with Dak, Louisville with Lamar Thomas, Ole Miss with Kelly, etc.... 2nd tier teams with an elite QB & offense can compete at the highest level. Therefore, I'm of the belief that we go all in on an offensive guy.

Basically, at MSU I think you MUST have a coach that reduces the amount of elite players on the field needed to win.

Dawg61
10-03-2016, 12:59 PM
Difficult to say. Texas is a toxic dumpster fire & he inherited country club that Mack Brown built.

In my personal opinion, MSU needs an offensive minded coach that can develop QBs. In today's college football, I don't think MSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Auburn, Tennessee, etc can accumulate enough talent on the defensive side of the ball to compete for championships with the defense being the strongest part of the team.

However, as we've seen with Dak, Louisville with Lamar Thomas, Ole Miss with Kelly, etc.... 2nd tier teams with an elite QB & offense can compete at the highest level. Therefore, I'm of the belief that we go all in on an offensive guy.

Basically, at MSU I think you MUST have a coach that reduces the amount of elite players on the field needed to win.

You just named Art Briles. What was Art Briles offense ranked the last seven years? What QB's has he had since being Houston's HC? Now what was his recruiting ranked?

lamont
10-03-2016, 01:01 PM

I wouldn't be too sure about that

Mullen is not going to be at Texas, ND, or LSU though

HSVDawg
10-03-2016, 01:05 PM

He's only been there 2 years and 4 games. He took over a situation that was horrible from how lazy Mack Brown had gotten on the recruiting trail. A good comparison the talent and the culture that Cohen inherited from Polk. Texas was a 3+ year rebuild when he took over. Strong proved himself at Louisville who has far fewer resources than UT. I'm not saying he's the only one to consider, but we'd be nuts not to at least talk to him.

Dawg61
10-03-2016, 01:06 PM

If he takes a paycut to go to a worse program than **** him I don't want him anymore anyways

basedog
10-03-2016, 01:11 PM

Didn't say he would, I said he'd be the first in my lifetime to get a job like one of those. Although Darrell Royal was at Msu for one year and moved on to Texas, I didn't watch football or know football at that time.

Stranger things have happened before.

BrunswickDawg
10-03-2016, 01:19 PM
He's only been there 2 years and 4 games. He took over a situation that was horrible from how lazy Mack Brown had gotten on the recruiting trail. A good comparison the talent and the culture that Cohen inherited from Polk. Texas was a 3+ year rebuild when he took over. Strong proved himself at Louisville who has far fewer resources than UT. I'm not saying he's the only one to consider, but we'd be nuts not to at least talk to him.

Uh, Mack Brown had #3 in 2011, #1 class in '12; and #23 in '13 - the cupboard wasn't bare. Strong has since had #15 in '14, #7 in '15, and #3 in '16. While culture may have been bad - the talent was and is there - which is why I question Strong. And Strong's current class? #34. Even "lazy" Mack Brown did better than that.

AusTexDawg
10-03-2016, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't be against talking to Strong if the situation arose. There's a lot about him to like, but the Longhorns' defense last year was worse than when Manny was their DC. Now Strong has gone and demoted the DC mid-season, like he did with the OC last year. That seems like a big red flag for his ability to be the CEO of the program. On the flip side, I've actually been impressed with Strong's hire of Sterlin Gilbert as OC. Gilbert's offenses at Tulsa were top of the line, and he seems to have figured out how to tailor the offense to the players' strengths here in Austin. However, I'm doubtful that Strong could get Gilbert to come with him to Starkvegas since Strong couldn't seal the deal to hire him in Austin without extra help. On the recruiting side, Strong has brought in some guys, but I'm not sure the Texas high school coaches have warmed up to him. What are the odds Strong could land another Teddy Bridgewater?

msstate7
10-03-2016, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't be against talking to Strong if the situation arose. There's a lot about him to like, but the Longhorns' defense last year was worse than when Manny was their DC. Now Strong has gone and demoted the DC mid-season, like he did with the OC last year. That seems like a big red flag for his ability to be the CEO of the program. On the flip side, I've actually been impressed with Strong's hire of Sterlin Gilbert as OC. Gilbert's offenses at Tulsa were top of the line, and he seems to have figured out how to tailor the offense to the players' strengths here in Austin. However, I'm doubtful that Strong could get Gilbert to come with him to Starkvegas since Strong couldn't seal the deal to hire him in Austin without extra help. On the recruiting side, Strong has brought in some guys, but I'm not sure the Texas high school coaches have warmed up to him. What are the odds Strong could land another Teddy Bridgewater?

Strong's backyard is Florida. I think strong could build on the foundation Buckley is laying in Florida

Liverpooldawg
10-03-2016, 01:27 PM
The impression that most around the country have of the job Mullen has done here is much different than the one most of the residents of this board seem to have.

AusTexDawg
10-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Uh, Mack Brown had #3 in 2011, #1 class in '12; and #23 in '13 - the cupboard wasn't bare. Strong has since had #15 in '14, #7 in '15, and #3 in '16. While culture may have been bad - the talent was and is there - which is why I question Strong. And Strong's current class? #34. Even "lazy" Mack Brown did better than that.

Fair point about Strong's current class. See my previous comment about Bridgewater. However, those recruiting rankings late in Brown's tenure are highly suspect. He was getting commits early in high school and filling up classes too early. Many of those guys were prima donnas unwilling to work or guys who were going to peak out in high school.

Tbonewannabe
10-03-2016, 01:39 PM
It would surprise me if Mullen got a UT, LSU, or Notre Dame job but Penn State wouldn't.

thf24
10-03-2016, 01:51 PM

You have to consider that Brown's classes had become drastically overrated by the end of his tenure. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but Texas produced an astoundingly low number of NFL players during Brown's last five years compared to the number of supposed 4- and 5-stars they had brought in.

Cooterpoot
10-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Strong got the TX job because of the Sugar Bowl win over a FL team that was a mess. They weren't in the ACC then and the schedule wasn't good. He got to beat up on American Conference teams and Big East teams.

CadaverDawg
10-03-2016, 02:21 PM
We're going to lose Mullen to a good job eventually...possibly this offseason. It will suck. Getting a new AD at the same time as a new HC would put us in a position where the new AD's first responsibility could make or break our football program for the next 10 years or more. I hope like hell we can keep Dan.

That being said....when that time comes, I want us to go with an offensive mind who still prefers to run more than pass. Much like Mullen. But can get creative in the run and pass game. I like the read option bc most MS high schools run some version of the read option...but we have to stay creative with it bc we will never line up and overpower the SEC unless we get a bonafide recruiting guru (not likely).

I'm telling you, if we get a defensive minded HC or a pro style HC, we will be staring 3 to 4 win seasons in the face right away. It's got to be a creative read option guy like Mullen or a total philosophy switch like Briles in order for us to maintain or potentially take a step forward. I don't think people realize just how much space there is below our current level right now in comparison to the small space above where we are. Hope we don't lose Dan, but if we do I hope we have the right AD in house or it will leave people watching tapes of 2011-2016 during football seasons to come, and wishing they could bring Dan back.

I personally love football being fun and enjoyable, and worth keeping up with. I don't want to go back to where I don't even know who we play the next Saturday and where I pray for 6 wins and just hope not to lose by more than 20-25 against the "good" teams we play. Apparently a lot of our fans forgot those days.

NCDawg
10-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Strong's backyard is Florida. I think strong could build on the foundation Buckley is laying in Florida

That's true. He and Mullen were at Florida the same time. Strong recruited Florida great at Louisville, whereas Mullen hasn't recruited Florida well.

Dawg61
10-03-2016, 02:33 PM
The impression that most around the country have of the job Mullen has done here is much different than the one most of the residents of this board seem to have.

Most around the country don't know the difference between MSU and Old Misses too

dawgoneyall
10-03-2016, 02:34 PM

No. Again, no.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-03-2016, 02:34 PM
I think Larry Fedora makes the most sense if we have to actually hire someone. We would more than double his salary.

parabrave
10-03-2016, 02:35 PM

I second that Texas is a dumpster fire. Too many high powered boosters meddling with the program and players. They're not going to fire him. Hiring of a def
coordinator will be a high priority and give him full reign of the def will probably be a directive from high above. But they will give him at least one to two years to fix things.

Cooterpoot
10-03-2016, 02:37 PM
I think Larry Fedora makes the most sense if we have to actually hire someone. We would more than double his salary.

Fedora is a snake oil salesman.

Really Clark?
10-03-2016, 02:41 PM

No we wouldn't and he wouldn't make that move from UNC. He just signed a 7 year extension for over $3MIL total compensation plus bonus above that. It's already been a year so he has conservatively $18 MIL remaining on that contract. He might start listening at $6 MIL per year. No way he is worth that.

msstate7
10-03-2016, 02:44 PM
We're going to lose Mullen to a good job eventually...possibly this offseason. It will suck. Getting a new AD at the same time as a new HC would put us in a position where the new AD's first responsibility could make or break our football program for the next 10 years or more. I hope like hell we can keep Dan.

That being said....when that time comes, I want us to go with an offensive mind who still prefers to run more than pass. Much like Mullen. But can get creative in the run and pass game. I like the read option bc most MS high schools run some version of the read option...but we have to stay creative with it bc we will never line up and overpower the SEC unless we get a bonafide recruiting guru (not likely).

I'm telling you, if we get a defensive minded HC or a pro style HC, we will be staring 3 to 4 win seasons in the face right away. It's got to be a creative read option guy like Mullen or a total philosophy switch like Briles in order for us to maintain or potentially take a step forward. I don't think people realize just how much space there is below our current level right now in comparison to the small space above where we are. Hope we don't lose Dan, but if we do I hope we have the right AD in house or it will leave people watching tapes of 2011-2016 during football seasons to come, and wishing they could bring Dan back.

I personally love football being fun and enjoyable, and worth keeping up with. I don't want to go back to where I don't even know who we play the next Saturday and where I pray for 6 wins and just hope not to lose by more than 20-25 against the "good" teams we play. Apparently a lot of our fans forgot those days.

Defensive coaches can still have innovative offenses. Gary Patterson (#6 offense nationally), mike macintyre (#9 offense nationally), jay hopson (#11 offense nationally), and even strong (#15 offense nationally) have much better offenses than defenses despite both being defensive coaches. I think we can be successful with a defensive coach as long as he's willing to let an OC run an innovative offense.

Edited... willie fritz is another defensive HC that runs an innovative offense

msstate7
10-03-2016, 02:45 PM

Todd monken would get an interview if I were in charge

TrapGame
10-03-2016, 02:52 PM

Monken > Fedora

USM is a stepping stone program if there ever was one. Hopson will be gone too probably after next year.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-03-2016, 02:56 PM

I would be cool with that if we used the money we saved on a legit DC.

msstate7
10-03-2016, 02:57 PM
I would be cool with that if we used the money we saved on a legit DC.

Ron cooper is probably available

Bodaski
10-03-2016, 03:00 PM
I don't understand why some of you bitch about our recruiting and then you post these type of threads for recruits to read. Everything in this thread is nothing but speculation. It's damn ludicrous what thought goes into some of our fans post.

Dawg61
10-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Buddy Stephens for HC if Mullen leaves.

gravedigger
10-03-2016, 03:24 PM

Not picking on you, per se, but maybe, the recruiting rankings were.....dare I say.....inaccurate? Blasphemy, I know.

Bothrops
10-03-2016, 03:26 PM
I think Mullen bolts this year when some school draws a bead on him. He's ready and will most likely take a paycut. Texas are the only ones dumb enough to pay him over 4 million out of the gate, but that's not where he's going.

We may find ourselves in a precarious spot, but the new AD will be hired before the season is over. We really need our big money people to pull us through.

TrapGame
10-03-2016, 03:43 PM
I think Mullen bolts this year when some school draws a bead on him. He's ready and will most likely take a paycut. Texas are the only ones dumb enough to pay him over 4 million out of the gate, but that's not where he's going.

We may find ourselves in a precarious spot, but the new AD will be hired before the season is over. We really need our big money people to pull us through.

And then we'll find ourselves in a situation similar to the Croom years. OM will be severely hamstrung by the NCAA and we will not have a coach or AD to take advantage of it. I hope we break this karmic chain of self implosion but it doesn't look likely.

BrunswickDawg
10-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Not picking on you, per se, but maybe, the recruiting rankings were.....dare I say.....inaccurate? Blasphemy, I know.
Which is another example of why I don't get worked up over recruiting rankings. Ours or anyone else's.

RocketDawg
10-03-2016, 03:46 PM
This offseason is going to be insane. You could easily see Texas, LSU, Baylor, USCw, Auburn, Penn State, Notre Dame, OK, Ok State, KY all looking for coaches. The domino effect is going to be epic.

Well, in that case we should hope we keep Mullen. Of all those schools we are behind most in "quality of job" (in my opinion) and even maybe with Baylor, OK State, and superior to Kentucky. That's pretty bad odds to get a top of the line coach with all the competition.

Tbonewannabe
10-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Well, in that case we should hope we keep Mullen. Of all those schools we are behind most in "quality of job" (in my opinion) and even maybe with Baylor, OK State, and superior to Kentucky. That's pretty bad odds to get a top of the line coach with all the competition.

Agreed, we need to keep Mullen for at least another year. I don't know what you do about the contract situation but he is probably our best option as a coach for next year. His contract only having a couple of years might make him more enticing since his buyout would be lower. I definitely don't want to go back to hoping for 6 wins.

Bothrops
10-03-2016, 04:04 PM
And then we'll find ourselves in a situation similar to the Croom years. OM will be severely hamstrung by the NCAA and we will not have a coach or AD to take advantage of it. I hope we break this karmic chain of self implosion but it doesn't look likely.

We'll have an AD fairly quick, we can pick from a number of candidates there. We won't ever be going back to the Croom years again, the administration, athletic dept, and school can't afford it.

was21
10-03-2016, 04:04 PM
I would think Mullen would possibly be a candidate for a number of those potential vacancies, not that I'm trying to run him off

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Wasn't TBuck on Strong's staff as well?

msstate7
10-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Wasn't TBuck on Strong's staff as well?

Nope. Buckley got to Louisville in '14. Strong left in '13

preachermatt83
10-03-2016, 09:14 PM

Surely u forgot the ***

preachermatt83
10-03-2016, 09:17 PM

I agree with Fedora but we wouldn't double his salary. He would get about a million dollar raise.

Really Clark?
10-03-2016, 09:36 PM
I agree with Fedora but we wouldn't double his salary. He would get about a million dollar raise.

Actually, since he has 6 years remaining you have have to go to at least $4.5 MIL or maybe a little more to just match his remaining contract since we can only offer 4 year deals.

Sacrifice
10-03-2016, 09:37 PM
I'll take Fedora anyday of the week! Dude has won big everywhere he's been

Really Clark?
10-03-2016, 09:52 PM
I'll take Fedora anyday of the week! Dude has won big everywhere he's been

Eh. He was very average his first 3 years at UNC. Had a really good season last year. Lost to Georgia this year but upset FSU. His record just doesn't say $5.5-6 MIL a year to get him to leave UNC. That's overspending for him right now.

Sacrifice
10-03-2016, 10:03 PM
Eh. He was very average his first 3 years at UNC. Had a really good season last year. Lost to Georgia this year but upset FSU. His record just doesn't say $5.5-6 MIL a year to get him to leave UNC. That's overspending for him right now.

UNC was on probation when he took the job. I'm actually surprised he's got it turned around this quick. Post season bowl ban, had to vacate wins, lost of scholarships. He took over a mess!

TrapGame
10-03-2016, 10:10 PM
UNC was on probation when he took the job. I'm actually surprised he's got it turned around this quick. Post season bowl ban, had to vacate wins, lost of scholarships. He took over a mess!

Shit, I want his kicker! Dude is clutch!

Really Clark?
10-03-2016, 10:14 PM

His first 3 years at USM was the same. And while he did come in to all that, UNC was winning at the same clip prior to his arrival. He didn't come into a lack of talent. His best year, last year, he lost So Car and that division is weak. He is a good coach but no where close to the type of money to even get him to consider coming. Mullen with our teams in that division would win more than Fedora has. Maybe in 2 more years and he keeps putting them in the championship game I would agree. Right now a see a coach no better than Mullen in a weak division that also left USM in a major mess talent wise.

TUSK
10-03-2016, 10:24 PM

huh?:p

TUSK
10-03-2016, 10:26 PM
It prolly won't happen this year unless there is a TOTAL collapse, but I hear UF is not thrilled with Mac's recruiting nor the offense... also, Mushamp's D guys will be gone after this year...

He better get his head and ass wired together or Strick's first act will be canning the FB coach....

IMissJack
10-03-2016, 11:06 PM
He's blindly loyal to certain assistants and a big team rules guy brought in for discipline after a coach stayed too long...sound familiar?

Bothrops
10-03-2016, 11:42 PM
Fedora probably wouldn't do anything MSU spectacular. He would be better in the East. He's an east coast Sonny Dykes.

Dawgfan77
10-04-2016, 07:23 AM
There are a lot of off the field issues with strong that carried over to UT. Also and I'm going to say this as nice as I can but you guys wanting strong are crazy. Guy had success at UL because of bridgwater not his coaching. With all the resources he had at UT he struggled he would do worse at MSU.
Brohm, or fleck would be my top two if Mullen bolts

shannondawg
10-04-2016, 08:16 AM
Mullen to Texas

Couldn't blame him.

I thought you quit?

shannondawg
10-04-2016, 08:20 AM
And y'all wonder why Mullen might be thinking of leaving?

ILOATHEBears
10-04-2016, 08:40 AM
I would think Mullen would possibly be a candidate for a number of those potential vacancies, not that I'm trying to run him off

How many coaches get job offers coming off a losing record year?

HancockCountyDog
10-04-2016, 08:49 AM
Does anyone actually think Mullen is going to get a Power 5 job offer coming off a year where he lost to South Alabama and may get to 6 wins? I really think some of the posters are just trolling the board at this point.

Mullen is a good coach, but I can promise you this, if he leaves this year, it won't be for a big name job, he will want to restart the clock somewhere because he knows that he is most likely coaching for his job in 2017 and the schedule is brutal.

msstate7
10-04-2016, 09:13 AM
Does anyone actually think Mullen is going to get a Power 5 job offer coming off a year where he lost to South Alabama and may get to 6 wins? I really think some of the posters are just trolling the board at this point.

Mullen is a good coach, but I can promise you this, if he leaves this year, it won't be for a big name job, he will want to restart the clock somewhere because he knows that he is most likely coaching for his job in 2017 and the schedule is brutal.

Not saying it will happen, but mike Riley got Nebraska job after going 5-7 at Oregon state. Lane kiffin went 6-6 at Tennessee and got one of the premier jobs in the country at USC.

lamont
10-04-2016, 09:15 AM

Mullen won't get a blue blood job. But he can get certainly make a lateral move after some of the job hopping takes place. He knows what is coming next year- that's why the desperate push for jucos this recruiting cycle to try and plug some of the leaks. Problem is that our system appears to be so hard for jucos to grasp- who knows how much it will help. And yeah- next year's schedule is brutal

TrapGame
10-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Mullen won't get a blue blood job. But he can get certainly make a lateral move after some of the job hopping takes place. He knows what is coming next year- that's why the desperate push for jucos this recruiting cycle to try and plug some of the leaks. Problem is that our system appears to be so hard for jucos to grasp- who knows how much it will help. And yeah- next year's schedule is brutal

Question RP: Would our offense look better under a Todd Monken or Jay Hopson? If Dan is running a system that is not easily grasped by the players would Monken or Hopson look like offensive gurus with the talent we have already on offense?

Really Clark?
10-04-2016, 09:41 AM
How many coaches get job offers coming off a losing record year?

Awesome question! Gene Chisck is an easy one. Does Lane Kiffin's disaster at Oakland count? I know it was the pro's and I wouldn't even consider it but it was bad, extremely bad. Lol

Dennis Erickson went 4-8 his one season at Idaho and got the Arizona St job. Jimmy Johnson was one year removed at Ok St with a losing record before getting Miami, so he doesn't count. Tubberville took a year off after a losing record and getting fired. Lou Holtz was really close to that. He went 6-5 at Ark, went to MN and went 4-7 and 6-5 then ND hired him. Billy Brewer had a losing season the year UNM hired him. DiNardo got LSU's job off of having 4 straight losing seasons at Vandy, he just made them not suck so bad, and then got Indiana 2 seasons after being fired. Dereck Dooley got Tenn after going 4-8 at La Tech. Mike Riley from Oregon St to NE. Houston Nutt got Ark after one season of 4-7 at Boise St.

lamont
10-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Question RP: Would our offense look better under a Todd Monken or Jay Hopson? If Dan is running a system that is not easily grasped by the players would Monken or Hopson look like offensive gurus with the talent we have already on offense?

That's the million dolla question. The Spread is supposed to be a more simplistic system- yet somehow ours is like reading Mandarin Chinese for some of our players- especially the RB's. Other Spread systems don't seem to have that problem the way we do.

WinningIsRelentless
10-04-2016, 10:34 AM

Would be the first time hopson would be a offensive guru considering he is a defensive guy.

smootness
10-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Herman will be at Texas.

And LOL on the Strong=Howland comparison.

SheltonChoked
10-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Holy Shit. Have any of you watched Texas play? Strong had to be told by an official to decline the 5 yard penalty on a 15 yard completed pass on 3rd and 12.
But Strong is not the answer at MSU.

UTexas is a mess with not just meddling boosters, but the thought that an offer is a guaranteed scholarship. MSU is still getting hate from HS coaches here for pulling our offer for that QB years ago. And boosters here want offers sent out to freshmen. That's what killed Mack Brown. Signing an 8th grader that doesn't develop.

TrapGame
10-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Would be the first time hopson would be a offensive guru considering he is a defensive guy.

Ooops. I was going off the numbers his offense put up on Rice (and other teams too). Whoever his OC is at USM is doing a really good job.

preachermatt83
10-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Holy Shit. Have any of you watched Texas play? Strong had to be told by an official to decline the 5 yard penalty on a 15 yard completed pass on 3rd and 12.
But Strong is not the answer at MSU.

UTexas is a mess with not just meddling boosters, but the thought that an offer is a guaranteed scholarship. MSU is still getting hate from HS coaches here for pulling our offer for that QB years ago. And boosters here want offers sent out to freshmen. That's what killed Mack Brown. Signing an 8th grader that doesn't develop.

This^^

preachermatt83
10-04-2016, 12:56 PM
Herman will be at Texas.

And LOL on the Strong=Howland comparison.

This too ^^^