PDA

View Full Version : Top 5...

preachermatt83
10-02-2016, 04:25 PM
List of REALISTIC replacements for Mullen IF he were to leave. I know it is unlikely but still this will be fun.

1) PJ Fleck
2) Jeff Brohm
3) Larry Fedora
4)Kyle Wittingham
5) Coach O

Quaoarsking
10-02-2016, 04:33 PM
1. keep Dan Mullen
2. Philip Montgomery (currently Tulsa HC, former Houston/Baylor QB/OC who molded Kevin Kolb, Case Keenum, RG3, and Bryce Petty)
3. Willie Fritz (Tulane HC, runs a triple-option offense out of the shotgun with some passing mixed in)
4. Scott Frost (UCF HC - 3-2 so far this year after team was 0-12 last year before he was hired. Formerly at Oregon, developed Marcus Mariota, and Oregon sucks now that he's gone)
5. Sonny Dykes (California HC - spent most of his career in the South - is Berkeley, CA, a good fit for him personally?)

AROB44
10-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Please no to 4 and 5. What do you think about Phillip Montgomery?

Gutter Cobreh
10-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Please no to 4 and 5. What do you think about Phillip Montgomery?

Please hold. He needs to consult w/ Random first to see what his thoughts are before posting.

AROB44
10-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Please hold. He needs to consult w/ Random first to see what his thoughts are before posting.

Rep points given

Apoplectic
10-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Fedora makes $2m ..... Offer him $3.5m plus incentives after we lose Saturday

It_Could_Happen
10-02-2016, 06:07 PM
I love PJ Fleck. WMU was a dumpster fire until he got there and they may go undefeated this year with wins over Illinois and Northwestern. Haven't seen the rest of their schedule but I think they run the table in the MAC

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2016, 06:08 PM

So your decision to fire Mullen comes down to if we win Saturday in the rebuilding year?

pdawg10msu
10-02-2016, 06:34 PM
We are in the SEC and we have that money as well as the ability to pay the head coach big money! So my first 2 are the "go for the home run" hires.

1) Chris Peterson(He has turned Washington around.)
2) Bobby Petrino( Sure he has a past but he can recruit and coach)
3) Larry Fedora( Solid Coach but would probably just be a stepping stone job to him)
4) Phillip Montgomery( Runs a great offense, probably a risky hire)
5) Ed Oregeron( I mean why not)

Apoplectic
10-02-2016, 06:38 PM
So your decision to fire Mullen comes down to if we win Saturday in the rebuilding year?

No my decision was made when Perkins and Russell got more PT over obviously better players and when we sat a stud LB half a game with a dumb 1A/B strategy and when we start a 150 lb RB and insist he run it up the gut and when we lost a game to USA and when every team improved since we were ranked #1 for 5 weeks but us and when we have to hire a new DC nearly every year and when we continue to pay $4mm salary for a $0.5mm OC.

dawgoneyall
10-02-2016, 06:44 PM

Why are we rebuilding?

DawgFromOxford
10-02-2016, 06:45 PM
PJ Fleck!

DeviousDawg
10-02-2016, 06:47 PM
These threads make me want to pull my eyes out. We are no where near having to have this conversation. Terrible title too, some just can't seem to grasp the concept of a title.

Maroonthirteen
10-02-2016, 06:59 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/26AHLBZUC1n53ozi8/200w.gif

Dawgtini
10-02-2016, 07:07 PM
These threads make me want to pull my eyes out. We are no where near having to have this conversation. Terrible title too, some just can't seem to grasp the concept of a title.

Every thread seems to devolve into this ridiculous topic. I have been coming to this board less and less. The stupid group think is getting out of hand.

Jack Lambert
10-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Every thread seems to devolve into this ridiculous topic. I have been coming to this board less and less. The stupid group think is getting out of hand.

MOds have to get a handle on the non sense. I can assure you Parents of recruits are aware of message boards and if I came on here and read this shit no way my son would go to a school with a bunch of Fans like this.

It wasn't long ago Ole Miss DC Coach Nix took copies of Six Pack Speak post to parents houses when recruiting.

Keep talking this stupid crap.

msstate7
10-02-2016, 07:18 PM

It really is ruining the board

DeviousDawg
10-02-2016, 07:27 PM

One thing I have learned over the years about message boards: usually the loudest are the most stupid. Fortunately, you can look at a thread and read the title and decide if you want to read what the thread will be composed of. Unfortunately, some people don't understand how titles work and I have to read a thread composed of something that I don't care to read. I made the mistake of being curious about a thread titled "top 5", thinking it may have been about a recruit or the new rankings. Then I have to read that it is some guy's (who claimed that he was in the know and that Coach O would be our defensive coordinator) top 5 replacements for our head coach that isn't even on the hot seat at the moment. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Is their an ignore user button on this site?

Really Clark?
10-02-2016, 08:05 PM

His 7 year extension signed last Dec is north of $3 MIL in total compensation with additional bonuses I believe. Plus a buyout of $2.35 MIL (reduces each year).

Todd4State
10-02-2016, 08:34 PM
My criteria: We have three main issues right now that I feel like they hold us back: Recruiting, offensive line performance, and defensive change every offseason. Those were my biggest three considerations.

My list:

1. Jeff Brohm- My main concern in losing Dan is that the QB development will decrease. With Brohm, he’s a guy that has played QB in the NFL and the Brohm’s are a well respected name in the football world. The reason I ultimately picked him over Fleck is because his staff has a LOT more SEC/Southern coaching experience. He’s 3-2 right now with losses to Alabama and a multiple OT loss to Vanderbilt.
2. PJ Fleck- I think he may be the best coach pound for pound and it’s hard to ignore Western Michigan beating Illinois and possibly going undefeated in the MAC. The only concern I have is his entire staff has ties to the North. We may be able to overcome this as long as we keep Brad Peterson, Patrick Austin, and Rod Gibson and possibly add someone with ties to the Memphis area (Scott Samsel?) and the Gulf Coast (Steve Jones? Steve Campbell?). It is worth noting that Fleck is highly regarded as a recruiter and he basically blew up Western Michigan’s recruiting class as soon as he was hired and then still proceeded to land one of the best recruiting classes in the MAC. They are an Adidas school, so that could be something to watch and may make him the most “likely” candidate should we go looking for a coach.
3. Mike Norvell- I like his potential but I don’t think we have enough to go on right now. His staff is really good- his o-line coach has NFL experience. Watching them last night I liked the variety of formations that he used and I thought the play calling was really good. I did not like the fact that they had a lot of penalties. Again, going off of one game but based on the information we currently have on him he is riskier than Brohm or Fleck. Is 3-1 with two wins over cupcakes, a bad Kansas team and a road game against Ole Miss where he was outgunned in a payback game.
4. Philip Montgomery- The reason I have him down here is because his defenses have been putrid. His staff doesn’t impress me at all. His offense scores tons of points and that’s not surprising since he is a Baylor/Art Briles guy. I’m not sure how he would play in the SEC but if he comes to us he better hire a better defensive staff like Stoops after he gets fired from UK. Falls into the needs more data area as well- he went 6-7 last year I believe he is 3-1 this year but no landmark victories.
5. Lane Kiffen- One of the top 10 recruiters in the country right now, and he is a great offensive mind that has developed a variety of QB’s. Has power five and NFL head coaching experience and is now the OC of one of the top programs in the SEC. He has definitely made some mistakes that he no doubt regrets over the years and it could be that he has learned from those for the better. His past transgressions are still a concern and a risk and there is a question of how well he would fit in at Mississippi State with the alumni and fans as he has been abrasive over the years.
Retread bonus- Bob Stoops if Oklahoma fires him. He has a great staff and his OC won the Broyles Award in 2015. Also has a top flight o-line coach and there is a good chance he would bring in his brother after Kentucky likely fires him.

msstate7
10-02-2016, 08:39 PM
1. keep Dan Mullen
2. Philip Montgomery (currently Tulsa HC, former Houston/Baylor QB/OC who molded Kevin Kolb, Case Keenum, RG3, and Bryce Petty)
3. Willie Fritz (Tulane HC, runs a triple-option offense out of the shotgun with some passing mixed in)
4. Scott Frost (UCF HC - 3-2 so far this year after team was 0-12 last year before he was hired. Formerly at Oregon, developed Marcus Mariota, and Oregon sucks now that he's gone)
5. Sonny Dykes (California HC - spent most of his career in the South - is Berkeley, CA, a good fit for him personally?)

I would substitute Todd monken in number 4, drop frost to 5, and Dykes would be 6.

msbulldog
10-03-2016, 06:49 AM
MOds have to get a handle on the non sense. I can assure you Parents of recruits are aware of message boards and if I came on here and read this shit no way my son would go to a school with a bunch of Fans like this.

It wasn't long ago Ole Miss DC Coach Nix took copies of Six Pack Speak post to parents houses when recruiting.

Keep talking this stupid crap.

Tell the truth Jack, Rep!

WinningIsRelentless
10-03-2016, 07:00 AM
No my decision was made when Perkins and Russell got more PT over obviously better players and when we sat a stud LB half a game with a dumb 1A/B strategy and when we start a 150 lb RB and insist he run it up the gut and when we lost a game to USA and when every team improved since we were ranked #1 for 5 weeks but us and when we have to hire a new DC nearly every year and when we continue to pay $4mm salary for a $0.5mm OC.
You mean the same Perkins that is still playing football over Jrob who is running a rounding Starkville causing problems?