10-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Hinds WR and 4 star guy.

Do we have a shot here?

BankerDog
10-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Yes. Really good shot.

ZedFedder
10-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Is he as good as some say? I've heard he is a guy that could play his JR year and then go pro.

lamont
10-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Yes- we are all over this guy

RC3
10-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Article said that our staff was at his game Thursday night. Hopefully has something to do with his decommitment

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/lsu-loses-commitment-from-top-juco-wr-stephen-guidry

parabrave
10-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Need to be over all of their recruits. With all the uncertainty over who the next coach will be we might be able to steal a few of their recruits. You know Freese probably has the OM network in these recruits living rooms by now.

Westdawg
10-02-2016, 12:37 PM
We used to get anyone we wanted from Hinds CC. Don't know what's up with that, but there are a few JCs in state that we don't have the "in" with like we used to.

mic
10-02-2016, 12:58 PM
We used to get anyone we wanted from Hinds CC. Don't know what's up with that, but there are a few JCs in state that we don't have the "in" with like we used to.

Kid is from Louisiana.. Can't blame him if he had LSU his top choice.
And we have lots of pull at HCC.. Omar Conner

Jacksondevildog
10-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Paul Jones said that he visited Alabama this past weekend. It will be a tough pull for us. I'm sure we have Hevesy on it.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2016, 01:06 PM
Paul Jones said that he visited Alabama this past weekend. It will be a tough pull for us. I'm sure we have Hevesy on it.

LOL.

College football sucks. Why do we even play the game when one school gets the top 25 picks in every drafts?

Seriously, what if this was happening in the NFL, MLB, or the NBA? The same team would win every year. It's a waste of time

M.Fillmore
10-02-2016, 01:08 PM
Kid is from Louisiana.. Can't blame him if he had LSU his top choice.
And we have lots of pull at HCC.. Omar Conner

Clarence McDougal too.

I met Omar a few weeks ago. I told him that MSU fans are quite apologetic over how Crxxm misused him. I said that it was a real shame he didn't play under Mullen. Omar gave me a rueful smile and nodded.

Percho
10-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Need to be over all of their recruits. With all the uncertainty over who the next coach will be we might be able to steal a few of their recruits. You know Freese probably has the OM network in these recruits living rooms by now.

Old bags and young bags, with him?

Harrydawg
10-02-2016, 01:45 PM
We need also stay close to S. Charles from MRA.....he has said he would very likely not stick with his commitment to LSU of Miles was not the coach. Hugh Freeze is constantly praying with him, I assure you......

mic
10-02-2016, 01:49 PM
We need also stay close to S. Charles from MRA.....he has said he would very likely not stick with his commitment to LSU of Miles was not the coach. Hugh Freeze is constantly praying with him, I assure you......

He have one problem here.. One guess what that is...

msstate7
10-02-2016, 01:55 PM
LOL.

College football sucks. Why do we even play the game when one school gets the top 25 picks in every drafts?

Seriously, what if this was happening in the NFL, MLB, or the NBA? The same team would win every year. It's a waste of time

College football needs to go to 65 scholarships (20 per year). It would bring much needed parity not only in conference, but OOC also.

Use the 20 extra scholarships on the men's side on baseball. Hopefully the scholarships would produce a much better product on the field for college baseball

TUSK
10-02-2016, 01:56 PM
LOL.

How would you adjust the recruiting process, 'Gun? Set up a "draft"? Give some schools more or fewer scholarships?

TUSK
10-02-2016, 01:58 PM
College football needs to go to 65 scholarships (20 per year). It would bring much needed parity not only in conference, but OOC also.

Use the 20 extra scholarships on the men's side on baseball. Hopefully the scholarships would produce a much better product on the field for college baseball

That's not a bad idea... although I don't think it's likely... I can remember JWS saying, "It'll never happen"... or something along those lines...

HSVDawg
10-02-2016, 02:36 PM
LOL.

Just because we can't win recruits away from Bama doesn't mean no one else can. There are 10-15 schools every year that get players Bama wants. We just don't because of the current gap between the two programs combined with our totally half-assed recruiting approach. Hopefully that is changing with the new assistants, but we'll see in February.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2016, 02:49 PM
Just because we can't win recruits away from Bama doesn't mean no one else can. There are 10-15 schools every year that get players Bama wants. We just don't because of the current gap between the two programs combined with our totally half-assed recruiting approach. Hopefully that is changing with the new assistants, but we'll see in February.

There are 10-15 schools that don't cheat & steal recruits from Bama?

Play a little game sometime & look up the high school position ranking of every Alabama player that has his name called on TV during the game.

I think you'll see pretty quickly that they don't miss much in recruiting.

djaymsu5
10-02-2016, 02:52 PM
LSU buddy of mine said they quit recruiting Guidry because Coach Craig and Coach O haven't been impressed with him and also seem to think he has an attitude problem.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2016, 02:57 PM
How would you adjust the recruiting process, 'Gun? Set up a "draft"? Give some schools more or fewer scholarships?

Not sure what the answer is, but the current system creates a pretty boring system. Of course Bama fans love it, but the rest of us feel like minorities. Perhaps I should start a "Maroon Lives Matter" protest in front of the NCAA office in Indianapolis.

We've created system that forces schools to choose between sucking or cheating. It's kind of like being between a rock & a hard place. I think I always believed that all MSU had to do was win & we'd begin getting better recruits & building our program so long as we didn't screw it up ourselves.

However, while our coaches certainly share some blame, after making our run in 2014 & going to 6 straight bowl games, MSU still doesn't register to out of state recruits & some in-state recruits still feel it necessary to attend out of state schools. At that point, I finally realized that the barriers to entry into the upper levels of college football are practically unnavigatable for a non-blue blood program. Without cheating, there is nothing that MSU can do to change it's long term trajectory in college football &, if there is something that could be done, I have no doubt that Alabama, Florida, or LSU would just come hire away the people responsible for it & MSU would fall back.

So I ask again, what's the point of the sport? The outcome is already decided & there is nothing anyone can really do about it

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Oh WOW, Alabama just landed the 5* top player in the country while I write this.

Fun sport!!!

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Clarence McDougal too.

I met Omar a few weeks ago. I told him that MSU fans are quite apologetic over how Crxxm misused him. I said that it was a real shame he didn't play under Mullen. Omar gave me a rueful smile and nodded.

He was probably wondering.."Who the hell is this fool and what the hell is he talking about?"

WSOPdawg
10-02-2016, 03:44 PM
LOL.

Agree Shotgun, that's why Saban can kiss my a$$ with his whiny little tear-jerker of the Barnett kid transferring 3 games into the season. Someone (a 5-star) figured out a way to play the system to benefit the individual, which you can't blame Barnett for that.

preachermatt83
10-02-2016, 03:58 PM
This kid has the potential to come in on day one and be the biggest impact in the SEC. He is that good.

HSVDawg
10-02-2016, 04:02 PM
There are 10-15 schools that don't cheat & steal recruits from Bama?

Play a little game sometime & look up the high school position ranking of every Alabama player that has his name called on TV during the game.

I think you'll see pretty quickly that they don't miss much in recruiting.

Bama gets plenty enough guys, no question. But if you look at their rankings, they probably get 8 or 9 Top 100 players per year (which is a lot, don't get me wrong). If it really was them getting everybody they wanted, they would get 25 Top 100 players. They lose guys to Michigan, Ohio State, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, etc. all the time. And those schools don't cheat any more than they do.

Hell, we have even landed guys with legit Bama offers. Doesn't happen very often, but we've done it. Chris Jones, Chad Bumphis, Fletcher Cox, and Jeffrey Simmons were all wanted and wanted badly by Bama. I've even seen multiple people on here post that Nick Gibson had a committable Bama offer too, and he was from Alabama. The problem is that over the last 1.5 recruiting cycles we have been both really lazy and completely turned over half of our coaching staff. That has led us to not only not be able to compete against Bama but not really anyone else worth a crap either.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Bama gets plenty enough guys, no question. But if you look at their rankings, they probably get 8 or 9 Top 100 players per year (which is a lot, don't get me wrong). If it really was them getting everybody they wanted, they would get 25 Top 100 players. They lose guys to Michigan, Ohio State, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, etc. all the time. And those schools don't cheat any more than they do.

I get your point, but we also have to remember that Bama is trying to build a football team, not just the highest rated recruiting class.

So, if they get a commitment from the #1 RB, then they aren't going to recruit the number 2 & 3 running backs that may be top 10 overall players. I did a study last year that looked at the total talent on SEC rosters, & I figured out that you could combine the top talent on A&M & Georgia, and Bama would still have more talent

Taog Redloh
10-02-2016, 04:07 PM
Not sure what the answer is, but the current system creates a pretty boring system. Of course Bama fans love it, but the rest of us feel like minorities. Perhaps I should start a "Maroon Lives Matter" protest in front of the NCAA office in Indianapolis.

We've created system that forces schools to choose between sucking or cheating. It's kind of like being between a rock & a hard place. I think I always believed that all MSU had to do was win & we'd begin getting better recruits & building our program so long as we didn't screw it up ourselves.

However, while our coaches certainly share some blame, after making our run in 2014 & going to 6 straight bowl games, MSU still doesn't register to out of state recruits & some in-state recruits still feel it necessary to attend out of state schools. At that point, I finally realized that the barriers to entry into the upper levels of college football are practically unnavigatable for a non-blue blood program. Without cheating, there is nothing that MSU can do to change it's long term trajectory in college football &, if there is something that could be done, I have no doubt that Alabama, Florida, or LSU would just come hire away the people responsible for it & MSU would fall back.

So I ask again, what's the point of the sport? The outcome is already decided & there is nothing anyone can really do about it
This is pretty spot on.

But statistically it's harder to be included in basketball, at least in terms of winning the title. I think it's just the nature of it. Coaching and talent, that's what it amounts to, and you need a bunch of money for both.

Quaoarsking
10-02-2016, 04:16 PM

I've brainstormed this before, and here's some ideas I've come up with:
Make all scholarships a guaranteed 4-years (contingent on academics and behavior) and only let teams bring in as many players as they have seniors/draftees leaving. No more "processing" players who did their part off the field if they want to stay.
Maybe set up some kind of Talent Evaluation Committee that will give every player a rating from 0-100. Players cannot be signed unless they are evaluated by the committee (schools would be able to submit anyone for evaluation, of course).
Schools would be limited to bringing in X total talent points every year. I'm not sure what the exact number should be. It would depend on the exact criteria for how to rate players.
Maybe the top 3 or top 5 players per class wouldn't count toward the cap, because you don't want a situation where schools are turning down studs because of the limits. The purpose is to prevent elite teams from stockpiling talent to waste on the bench, not having teams turn away talent that could contribute.
Maybe give some kind of multiplier to the scores based on how far away the college is from the player's high school. Not a huge one, but you want to encourage schools to recruit locally. For example, AJ Brown may have been a 98 nationwide but would have been an 88 for us, 93 for Ole Miss and Alabama, etc. That's just a possible example.
Maybe also give some kind of discount for players with good high school GPAs/test scores, such as Josh Dobbs. These players are a lot more likely to choose their college based on academics and you want them to have the freedom to do that. It would also incentivize high school players to work on their academics to make them even more attractive to college teams.

I don't know what the exact recruiting cap would be, but I think it would be set so that the Alabamas of the world still have the best classes, but the gap closes.

ShotgunDawg
10-02-2016, 04:21 PM
I've brainstormed this before, and here's some ideas I've come up with:
Make all scholarships a guaranteed 4-years (contingent on academics and behavior) and only let teams bring in as many players as they have seniors/draftees leaving. No more "processing" players who did their part off the field if they want to stay.
Maybe set up some kind of Talent Evaluation Committee that will give every player a rating from 0-100. Players cannot be signed unless they are evaluated by the committee (schools would be able to submit anyone for evaluation, of course).
Schools would be limited to bringing in X total talent points every year. I'm not sure what the exact number should be. It would depend on the exact criteria for how to rate players.
Maybe the top 3 or top 5 players per class wouldn't count toward the cap, because you don't want a situation where schools are turning down studs because of the limits. The purpose is to prevent elite teams from stockpiling talent to waste on the bench, not having teams turn away talent that could contribute.
Maybe give some kind of multiplier to the scores based on how far away the college is from the player's high school. Not a huge one, but you want to encourage schools to recruit locally. For example, AJ Brown may have been a 98 nationwide but would have been an 88 for us, 93 for Ole Miss and Alabama, etc. That's just a possible example.
Maybe also give some kind of discount for players with good high school GPAs/test scores, such as Josh Dobbs. These players are a lot more likely to choose their college based on academics and you want them to have the freedom to do that. It would also incentivize high school players to work on their academics to make them even more attractive to college teams.

I don't know what the exact recruiting cap would be, but I think it would be set so that the Alabamas of the world still have the best classes, but the gap closes.

Really interesting ideas about the "point system" & creating a system where top teams can't have elite talent rotting on the bench.

This is a very similar idea to the rule 5 draft & "options" rule in baseball where talent is re-distributed so that top players aren't sitting in the minor leagues due to being blocked by a slightly better player at their position. This also solves the problem of having a draft & telling high school players where they have to go to school.

Good thoughts

Bothrops
10-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Oh WOW, Alabama just landed the 5* top player in the country while I write this.

Fun sport!!!

Hell.. even if we're a Bama fan, this streak they're on would eventually dull my interest. Too predictable.

Maroonthirteen
10-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Hell.. even if we're a Bama fan, this streak they're on would eventually dull my interest. Too predictable.

Yeah, I often wonder how fun the regular season is for Bama fans too. There is really only a couple of games per year that are in doubt at kickoff.

I imagine if you have some personal connection to Bama, it may be fun to dominate. But the bandwagon fans, who are just TV fans. .... boring.

Genius ideas, Quoarsking.

WSOPdawg
10-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I often wonder how fun the regular season is for Bama fans too. There is really only a couple of games per year that are in doubt at kickoff.

I imagine if you have some personal connection to Bama, it may be fun to dominate. But the bandwagon fans, who are just TV fans. .... boring.

Genius ideas, Quoarsking.

The Bama fans I've been around quickly become apathetic toward the season if a loss early in the season occurs, only because they ALWAYS have such high hopes.

I've often thought how, for me, that would suck as I love college football so much. But for the Tide faithful, after having endured so much success under Saban, I can see how one can become spoiled based on having tasted so much success over the years.

maroonmania
10-03-2016, 08:54 AM
I get your point, but we also have to remember that Bama is trying to build a football team, not just the highest rated recruiting class.

So, if they get a commitment from the #1 RB, then they aren't going to recruit the number 2 & 3 running backs that may be top 10 overall players. I did a study last year that looked at the total talent on SEC rosters, & I figured out that you could combine the top talent on A&M & Georgia, and Bama would still have more talent

Exactly, they are definitely the closest of anyone in the country to getting their top 25 "targets". And of course that won't equate to the Top 25 guys in the country because a lot of those top 25 are the same position and others are far away from Bama and may not want to leave their region of the country. The recruiting advantage Bama has over most right now is still freakin' ridiculous.

BB30
10-03-2016, 09:05 AM
yea, all of these programs have had down years at some point or another. We just have to be set up to capitalize on those down years. It is an open market just like everything else in America. Putting restrictions and regulations on recruiting would be no different than doing the same in the business world. For us I think it will take an alum becoming a great coach that truely loves MSU as much as we all do to have sustained top end success. But, honestly and I am sure it would be fun to win like Bama has every year for a while but the feeling that we all had during the 14 run is probably something most bama fans have never really experienced. It really is a love/hate deal because it is so rare that we do compete for the SEC and a shot at an NC that when we get those opportunities it is truly special. I think we can compete in basketball and baseball with the big boys year in and year out. I don't think we will ever get there in football but that doesn't mean we cant have success and have a great year every 4-5 year cycle. I can live with 7-9 win seasons with an occasional 10 plus win season thrown in every 4-6 years. That is light years ahead of where we have been in the past.