PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Wittingham..

preachermatt83
10-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Is NOT my first choice to replace Mullen if that need should arise. HOWEVER, the reason he would be high on my list is this.. In 11 seasons at Utah, he has been to 9 bowls, winning 8 of them. Also he has finished the season Ranked 6 times in those 11 years. Just a bit of info on why some of us like him.

Really Clark?
10-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Is NOT my first choice to replace Mullen if that need should arise. HOWEVER, the reason he would be high on my list is this.. In 11 seasons at Utah, he has been to 9 bowls, winning 8 of them. Also he has finished the season Ranked 6 times in those 11 years. Just a bit of info on why some of us like him.

Look I like Whittingham and he is a good coach. But he has been ranked twice since joining the PAC 12 and gone to 3 bowls in his 5 years. His rankings were 21st and 17th. I just think at the end of the day they are very similar in terms of records when considering what each have accomplished in a Power 5 conference. And I kept coming back to this because so many have made a big deal of our season in Mullen's 8th year. Whittingham's 8th and 9th years he went 5-7 each year.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Something else to consider how do you think a devout Mormon like whiittingham will recruit in the Deep South?

Liverpooldawg
10-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Has that guy ever coached east of the Mississippi?

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2016, 10:08 PM
I think Mullen is on par with him. I don't think he would be an upgrade but I don't think we would drop back either.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Has that guy ever coached east of the Mississippi?

Nope spent his whole life in the west.

Quaoarsking
10-01-2016, 10:14 PM
There's a reason his nickname is Mormon Mullen

I seen it dawg
10-01-2016, 11:50 PM
There would be no country club of Mullen, Hevesy, Knox, Sallach,and hate to say it but Gonzalez. Country club is what will never allow us to have really really nice things. Therefore Whittington greater than Mullen.

Todd4State
10-02-2016, 12:37 AM
There would be no country club of Mullen, Hevesy, Knox, Sallach,and hate to say it but Gonzalez. Country club is what will never allow us to have really really nice things. Therefore Whittington greater than Mullen.

Serious question- do all coaches have their country club?

Croom had McCorvey.

I can't remember anyone that Jackie was totally attached to the point where he would compromise winning and performance possibly.

AROB44
10-02-2016, 08:56 AM

Croom had McCorvey.

I can't remember anyone that Jackie was totally attached to the point where he would compromise winning and performance possibly.

Lynn Amadee. Had to take up a collection (Jackie set amount) for Amadee before Jackie woud replace him. Just a little info for you. But...you are right. Most coaches have buddies on their staff or become buddies with them over time. I am a big big fan of the Kang, but he also was one hard headed SOB.

Really Clark?
10-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Lynn Amadee. Had to take up a collection (Jackie set amount) for Amadee before Jackie woud replace him. Just a little info for you. But...you are right. Most coaches have buddies on their staff or become buddies with them over time. I am a big big fan of the Kang, but he also was one hard headed SOB.

OC both here and A & M under Sherrill. Never stayed anywhere long though. Switched jobs every 2 years or so. Sherrill plucked him from HS coaching when we got him in 1995?1996?

Really Clark?
10-02-2016, 09:19 AM

OC both here and A & M under Sherrill. Never stayed anywhere long though. Switched jobs every 2 years or so. Sherrill plucked him from HS coaching when we got him in 1995?1996?

TrapGame
10-02-2016, 09:24 AM
I think Mullen is on par with him. I don't think he would be an upgrade but I don't think we would drop back either.

Completely agree. He would not be a Croom hire but he's not the next Saban either. He'd be a "safe" hire.

Really Clark?
10-02-2016, 09:30 AM

Croom had McCorvey.

Bobby Williams has followed Saban to 4 different spots and just got removed from on the field this year to special assistant to the HC or in other words, his final retirement pension plan.

HSVDawg
10-02-2016, 09:53 AM

Its also worth noting that Sherrill fired the current head coach of the Arizona Cardinals to hire Amadee from the high school ranks. What a mind numbingly terrible decision in hindsight. Country club indeed.

I seen it dawg
10-02-2016, 10:49 AM
But talking about Saban he at least makes the move with guys that needs to be moved. No movement at all with dead weight here.

WinningIsRelentless
10-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Some of you don't get it. It isn't the country club boys mentality that coaches us. Head coaches hire people they trust because their jobs rely on them.

It is the same way in the business world, if your a boss and you don't trust or can't rely on someone then it's a very high probability you get rid of them.

Really Clark?
10-02-2016, 11:02 AM
But talking about Saban he at least makes the move with guys that needs to be moved. No movement at all with dead weight here.

Eh. Williams was on the sidelines until this year, that's 9 years just at Bama.

lamont
10-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Some of you don't get it. It isn't the country club boys mentality that coaches us. Head coaches hire people they trust because their jobs rely on them.

It is when the same mistakes keep popping up. One of our commits from Co-Lin stated he had no idea our OL coach was his lead recruiter. Hadnt met him yet

Really Clark?
10-02-2016, 11:29 AM
It is when the same mistakes keep popping up. One of our commits from Co-Lin stated he had no idea our OL coach was his lead recruiter. Hadnt met him yet

Baker has been the lead at Co-Lin this year.

GTHOM
10-02-2016, 11:45 AM
Mullen has been to a bowl every year but his first one and he should have went that year. Im not happy with Dan but I dont wanna replace him with Kyle Whittingham. If we do make a move we need to be sure its a step up not lateral

WinningIsRelentless
10-02-2016, 11:45 AM

As Clark said baker is the lead at co-lin

mic
10-02-2016, 11:53 AM
As Clark said baker is the lead at co-lin

Maybe now he is ..

Really Clark?
10-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Maybe now he is ..

Since after signing day I believe. Maybe during spring. Shuffled things around again.

lamont
10-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Mullen has been to a bowl every year but his first one and he should have went that year. Im not happy with Dan but I dont wanna replace him with Kyle Whittingham. If we do make a move we need to be sure its a step up not lateral

I think he is an option. We certainly have other candidates to look into as well. We'll see how the season plays out. With all the job openings- I'll be shocked if Mullen is our HC in 2017.

HSVDawg
10-02-2016, 12:13 PM
I think he is an option. We certainly have other candidates to look into as well. We'll see how the season plays out. With all the job openings- I'll be shocked if Mullen is our HC in 2017.

That's one thing we can agree on. I think Mullen is also much more in play at LSU than many people realize. Maybe not top 2 or 3, but he's definitely on the short list.

MedDawg
10-02-2016, 12:28 PM

I wouldn't want to get rid of Mullen to get Whittingham, but if Mullen leaves, then Whittingham would be a more accomplished hire than South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Southern Cal have made in the past few years.

Dawgfan77
10-02-2016, 12:38 PM
I will say this if Mullen is still our coach in 17 then either he really wants to be here or no one wants to hire him