PDA

View Full Version : Memory Lane - 1st State Game Attended/Memories

Goldendawg
10-01-2016, 12:38 PM
I attended my 1st of hundreds to date in 1963 when I was 8 years of age. We didn't have good teams in those years, but we tied UNM 10-10 when they had a very good team. My Dad and I sat in wooden bleachers when the M-Club bldg is now. It was fenced off from the rest of the field and it was really cold. My Dad paid a guy outside the fence to go get us hot dogs and hot coffee. That tie was definitely not like kissing your sister! 53 more years of family trips to State have continued. Hail State!

gravedigger
10-01-2016, 12:42 PM
1977 eggbowl in jackson. Threadgill led us back from down 14 to win 18-14.

fader2103
10-01-2016, 12:44 PM
1999 MSU/OSU. We won only memory from that game

msstate7
10-01-2016, 12:50 PM
'98 vandy... grew up an om fan, but went to school at state. The vandy game was my first as a student at miss state. Haven't looked back

parabrave
10-01-2016, 01:09 PM
1980 homecoming. My sis was homecoming maid and a cheerleader. Reggie Collier ran crazy that day.

shoeless joe
10-01-2016, 01:14 PM
1997 against UCF.

Wyatt at QB and Robert Isaac returned a kickoff for TD. Seemed like every play dr flick would say "J........J........Johnson!!" Or "culpepper's pass".

BulldogBear
10-01-2016, 01:35 PM

24-21 victory over Auburn in Jackson. I remember the game and being there but no details of play. I was seven. I keep up with all the games I've been to on my profile "about me" section. When I get bored enough one day during an offseason I may even list the scores! Yeah, I'm a CFB junkie.

FISHDAWG
10-01-2016, 01:40 PM
1981 .... In Jackson vs USM

so long ago I can't remember for sure but I'm almost positive the buzzards beat us

Mutt the Hoople
10-01-2016, 01:55 PM
1973- vs. Auburn at Jordan Hare. I was 11, just moved back to Mississippi from North Carolina, and didn't even know there was such a thing as a "Mississippi State". My dad's buddy was going to grad school at Auburn and he had some tickets for us, so we went over.

They said we were playing Mississippi Something or other, I thought they were playing olemiss. That was the game where Rockey Felker broke his leg, and the season went down the shitter from there.

Several things I remember from that game:
-Originally we sat in the South end zone, where it was very cold. At halftime, we walked over to the North End Zone where it was about 30 degrees warmer.
- When Auburn scored a TD and kicked the extra point, some guy wearing an Alabama #20 jersey caught the ball and ran out of the stadium.
-When we moved to the South Side, we sat around a group of students. You could smell the weed.

Dawgology
10-01-2016, 02:05 PM
1998 vs Vandy. First year as student at state and the student section was insane that entire season. Went to every home game that year. Hooked ever since.

BrunswickDawg
10-01-2016, 02:38 PM
1991 - drubbing of Cal St.-Fullerton 47-3
First game as a student and only game I've ever left early. It was hot, beer on frat row was cold, and there was a red head I was chasing.

Since I grew up in GA, my first college game was 1981 UGA v Tech at Grant Field. Stadium was a shit hole, it was cold as hell, and I saw Herschel run all over the Jackets in a 44-7 game.

Indndawg
10-01-2016, 03:49 PM
I attended my 1st of hundreds to date in 1963 when I was 8 years of age. We didn't have good teams in those years, but we tied UNM 10-10 when they had a very good team. My Dad and I sat in wooden bleachers when the M-Club bldg is now. It was fenced off from the rest of the field and it was really cold. My Dad paid a guy outside the fence to go get us hot dogs and hot coffee. That tie was definitely not like kissing your sister! 53 more years of family trips to State have continued. Hail State!

the day I switched from being a UNM fan.

SaintDawg
10-01-2016, 04:10 PM
It was 1980 or 1981. We played Navy at Memorial Stadium in Jackson. First time I ever saw fighter jets fly over a stadium for the National Anthem. Scared me to death. I can't remember if we won or lost, but that was my first game, for sure.

Fred Garvin
10-01-2016, 04:32 PM
1970 homecoming game against USM. I remember a black woman carrying a sign saying "Give 'em hell Robert Bell!" We won 51-15.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-01-2016, 04:34 PM
1991 - drubbing of Cal St.-Fullerton 47-3
It was hot, beer on frat row was cold, and there was a red head I was chasing.

Did you catch her?

BrunswickDawg
10-01-2016, 04:39 PM
Did you catch her?
Yes, and then threw her back about a month later. I was big on catch and release at that time. That, and she was batshit crazy.

Spiderman
10-01-2016, 04:43 PM
1974 Egg Bowl. Was 4 years old. Just remember Rocky Felker and Jimmy Webb being talked about alot my dad and uncle being happy afterwards. 1st time I ever saw my dad drink a beer.

I knew beer must be good because I asked for one and was told I couldn't have it. Been wanting it every since.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-01-2016, 04:53 PM
I guess 56-6 drubbing of Arkansas St. Around 90? Maybe a game against Memphis. Only cheered for the maroon and white so there are some pretty forgettable memories.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-01-2016, 04:54 PM
1992 Alabama at home. State didn't win and I was pretty young, but it's the first game i remember attending. I pretty much haven't missed a home game since.

oldtrickdawg
10-01-2016, 05:02 PM
1962,school trip...Memphis State beat us fairly soundly with their Italian Stallion fullback just making a freeway up our interior line...Believe that was the first SEC victory ever in football...That part is a little cloudy...Goodly amount of vandalism associated after the game ; think at least one car overturned...Back when men were men and women were proud of it...

BeastMan
10-01-2016, 05:07 PM
1992 Thursday night Florida. I was 8. My family had moved relatively close to Starkville that fall (B'ham) and I've never looked back.

TaleofTwoDogs
10-01-2016, 05:17 PM
First time - 1970 - Texas Tech in Jackson win 20-16 QB Joe Reed picked them apart
First time as a student (freshmen) - 1971 - Florida in Jackson win 13-10.
First loss (many to come) - 1971 - Vandy big time loss 19 - 49. Coming from a successful High School program on the coast this loss was a shocker to this young grasshopper

BrunswickDawg
10-01-2016, 05:22 PM
1992 Thursday night Florida. I was 8. My family had moved relatively close to Starkville that fall (B'ham) and I've never looked back.
Damn, you make me feel old! That was my Sophomore year. That was a wild night!

DawgHouseUnited
10-01-2016, 08:13 PM
94 vs Bama. Went with some high school friends & family. Sat on the west side behind some bammers that brought in boxes of tide detergent with toilet paper on top of them. Hated seeing them cheer "roll tide" and wave those things around.

tcdog70
10-01-2016, 08:30 PM
1962,school trip...Memphis State beat us fairly soundly with their Italian Stallion fullback just making a freeway up our interior line...Believe that was the first SEC victory ever in football...That part is a little cloudy...Goodly amount of vandalism associated after the game ; think at least one car overturned...Back when men were men and women were proud of it...

Also my first game. The fullback gave me his chin strap. Hell of a fight when Memphis a State tried to tear down the goal post.

BurgDawg
10-01-2016, 08:40 PM
1997 egg bowl it was brutal I was 6....

tcdog70
10-01-2016, 08:40 PM

Also my first game. The fullback gave me his chin strap. Hell of a fight when Memphis a State tried to tear down the goal post.

BeastMan
10-01-2016, 10:14 PM
Damn, you make me feel old! That was my Sophomore year. That was a wild night!

About 2 years ago I told Sleepy that my first game as a kid, I saw him get hurt and has to fight back crying. He said, "If you don't stop, you're going to make me cry". I'll always feel like how we didn't promote Sleepy hurt us bad in that cycle and I'll wish him the best at JSU. Not often you can meet a childhood hero and he be cool as hell in real life.

ScoobaDawg
10-02-2016, 12:24 AM
1998. Jackie Beat Bama 3 years in a row. Dad and I drove over from Tuscaloosa. Got tickets on the east side right next to or in the student section.. a few rows from the top. Loved it.

DAWGS1
10-02-2016, 12:38 AM
Steve Grogan was the QB for KSU that day and we won
First Egg Bowl was the same year and beat the Rebs 31-13 in Jackosn

oldtrickdawg
10-02-2016, 02:15 AM
Yes,Dog70, I completely forgot the fight...They did not get the post, though...That emotion spilled into the streets which might explain the vandalism..We were given tickets ,I imagine, as a school group in the cheap seats and most of the section had cleared by the goal post raid, some into the fray...That was a pretty exciting day even for a wide-eyed teenager....

BulldogBear
10-02-2016, 02:29 AM
It was 1980 or 1981. We played Navy at Memorial Stadium in Jackson. First time I ever saw fighter jets fly over a stadium for the National Anthem. Scared me to death. I can't remember if we won or lost, but that was my first game, for sure.

I was at that one! Dawgs won 38-10.

msbulldog
10-02-2016, 07:30 AM
1973- vs. Auburn at Jordan Hare. I was 11, just moved back to Mississippi from North Carolina, and didn't even know there was such a thing as a "Mississippi State". My dad's buddy was going to grad school at Auburn and he had some tickets for us, so we went over.

They said we were playing Mississippi Something or other, I thought they were playing olemiss. That was the game where Rockey Felker broke his leg, and the season went down the shitter from there.

Several things I remember from that game:
-Originally we sat in the South end zone, where it was very cold. At halftime, we walked over to the North End Zone where it was about 30 degrees warmer.
- When Auburn scored a TD and kicked the extra point, some guy wearing an Alabama #20 jersey caught the ball and ran out of the stadium.
-When we moved to the South Side, we sat around a group of students. You could smell the weed.

I sure though Rocky broke his leg at the LSU game in BR in 1973, I was a freshman at that game.

msbulldog
10-02-2016, 07:56 AM
First time - 1970 - Texas Tech in Jackson win 20-16 QB Joe Reed picked them apart
First time as a student (freshmen) - 1971 - Florida in Jackson win 13-10.
First loss (many to come) - 1971 - Vandy big time loss 19 - 49. Coming from a successful High School program on the coast this loss was a shocker to this young grasshopper

1971 MSU vs. Fla in Jackson was my first game, I was a soph. in HS. My buddy in HS's brother an alum. got us tickets. My buddy and I were pissed because we left the game early, because State was getting beat and we had seen a lot of good looking girls at Shakey's Pizza right down the street and we were going back to see if we could meet 'em. We could hear State coming back as we walked outside the stadium.

Maroonthirteen
10-02-2016, 07:59 AM
@Brunswick

That was a helluva night. Partied all night in College Station apartments. I don't think I slept an hour and had to be at work at 8am. Fun night, long Friday. Ha!

Oh and.....La Tech 1980