PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think pass interference should be a spot foul like the NFL?

starkvegasdawg
10-01-2016, 11:23 AM
I hate a 50 yard bomb for a td be stopped due to a penalty and only get 15 yards. That becomes a good play for a beat defender on a deep ball.

msstate7
10-01-2016, 11:27 AM
I trust NFL officials much more than college officials. I don't like the idea of a college official having the power to issue a 50 yard penalty.

I'm probably in the minority, but I wish they'd do away with the spot penalty in the NFL too. The offense has all the advantages... let the defense at least have that going for them since they can't even look at a wr funny without being penalized

Liverpooldawg
10-01-2016, 11:35 AM
Dick Pace. Enough said.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2016, 11:38 AM
I trust NFL officials much more than college officials. I don't like the idea of a college official having the power to issue a 50 yard penalty.

Agree. I don't like the 50 yard penalty. Sure, the defense can reach out & grab a guy & it becomes a good play, but all to often a touchy, soft PI call is made & a team gets a ridiculous 50 yard play because of it.

To add, I'd also make holding a 5 yard penalty. 10 yards is too big a penalty for something that could be called on every play. I believe refs can actually alter the outcome of games with how they call holding.

HSVDawg
10-01-2016, 11:46 AM

I'm probably in the minority, but I wish they'd do away with the spot penalty in the NFL too. The offense has all the advantages... let the defense at least have that going for them since they can't even look at a wr funny without being penalized

I totally agree. It's sometimes not called correctly even in the NFL. And you make a great point about the advantage always being with the offense. For instance, if a defender commits pass interference on a 50 yard pass, it's a 50 yard penalty. But if the WR pushes off on the exact same spot of the field, it's only 15 yards. In my opinion it should be assesed equally. If you are on the other team's 30 yard line and a WR pushes off in the end zone, you go back to your own 40 yard line. But the biggest problem is that WR's and DB's get to handfighting and you can't really make a good judgment call as to who actually committed interference.

If you modify the rule to where offenses and defenses can be punished equally and also make it a reviewable penalty, then maybe it would be a good idea to go with the current NFL rule. Otherwise, stick with the current college rule.

Sidenote: I'd also like to see the rule changed for offensive pass interference in both college and the NFL for teams inside of the 15 yard line. If you are on your own one yard line, it greatly benefits the WR to shove off, run a pick play, or do whatever they can to get open. Because under the current rules, even if a flag is thrown there is no way to enforce any significant penalty. I think if you are at a spot on the field where the full 15 yards cannot be enforced, I think it should be spot foul where the QB is and a loss of down like intentional grounding. And if the QB is in the end zone, it should be a safety.

scottycameron
10-01-2016, 12:20 PM
HELL NO. I don't give a rats ass what the NFL does or if they are doing it wrong. I don't play fantasy like you guys so I don't care.
But don't screw up college football just to be like the cheese league. What would the penalty for defensive PI be? 50 yards? Whole concept is pretty dumb.

msstate7
10-01-2016, 12:22 PM
HELL NO. I don't give a rats ass what the NFL does or if they are doing it wrong. I don't play fantasy like you guys so I don't care.
But don't screw up college football just to be like the cheese league. What would the penalty for defensive PI be? 50 yards? Whole concept is pretty dumb.

You're an angry guy aren't you?

scottycameron
10-01-2016, 12:43 PM
You're an angry guy aren't you?

Not in general, but when dorks want to screw up my college football it does get under my skin. Change anything you can think of with soccer, and I'm Kool and the gang with it.

GTHOM
10-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Hell no

RocketDawg
10-01-2016, 02:42 PM
I hate a 50 yard bomb for a td be stopped due to a penalty and only get 15 yards. That becomes a good play for a beat defender on a deep ball.

Yes. I'm almost positive it was a spot foul for a long time in college. Changed maybe in the '70s?

TUSK
10-01-2016, 02:53 PM
If we'd follow MY recommendation and just ban the friggin' forward pass, this would be a moot point....

TUSK
10-01-2016, 02:54 PM
Yes. I'm almost positive it was a spot foul for a long time in college. Changed maybe in the '70s?

I seem to remember it being a spot foul, as well...

Any of you cats know fo shizzle?

gravedigger
10-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Yea so does john forcade. Easy way to be given 50 yards dueto an idiot's call

Liverpooldawg
10-01-2016, 04:03 PM
It changed in the early 80s. One of the big nails in its coffin was Dick "Shafter" Pace in the 1981 Egg Bowl. In the last minute of the game MSU was leading and John Forcade throws a bomb to near the end zone, I think It was on 4th down. They had our guy beat bad, he never got within 3-4 yards of their receiver. Forcade overthrew the ball and we are starting to celebrate but not so fast. Ole Shafter Pace throws the late flag. 1st down Rebs in the one and Forcade takes it in on the next play, Rebs win. Worst call I ever saw in my life, it happened right in front of me. That's why I said above, Dick Pace. Enough said.

RocketDawg
10-01-2016, 04:36 PM
It changed in the early 80s. One of the big nails in its coffin was Dick "Shafter" Pace in the 1981 Egg Bowl. In the last minute of the game MSU was leading and John Forcade throws a bomb to near the end zone, I think It was on 4th down. They had our guy beat bad, he never got within 3-4 yards of their receiver. Forcade overthrew the ball and we are starting to celebrate but not so fast. Ole Shafter Pace throws the late flag. 1st down Rebs in the one and Forcade takes it in on the next play, Rebs win. Worst call I ever saw in my life, it happened right in front of me. That's why I said above, Dick Pace. Enough said.

Yeah, obviously it can bite you with a bad (or biased) call, but it would stop intentional interference to prevent a long gain or even a touchdown.

TaleofTwoDogs
10-01-2016, 05:48 PM
The NCAA Rules Committee passed the new rule in Feb 1984. Most coaches at the time thought that the refs would be calling more PI calls because of the lesser penalty but that fear was never realized.