PDA

View Full Version : Finally listened to Stricklins H2H interview

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2016, 08:09 PM
He gave no reason for leaving other than he prayed and God told him to not fear change. Or something along those lines. Bottom line, God answers a pray and the answer isnt Starkville......again.

Seriously, I'm not making fun of the power of prayer but....come on.

What was the real reason?

Cigar boys pressure him out?

He just tired of Starkville?

Todd4State
09-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Depends on who you talk to. Personally I think he wants to be the SEC commissioner one day and this gets him closer to that.

Gutter Cobreh
09-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Don't really care of the reason.

What I respect most is that he went against UF's request and talked to Keenum first before proceeding. He didn't go about this the wrong way and left the way you would hope someone would.

All the rest is water under the bridge at this point; he's gone and ain't coming back....

Dallas_Dawg
09-30-2016, 08:19 PM
Let's say you are CEO of a profitable, yet relatively small computer software company making X amount of dollars.
Then Microsoft calls and offers you their CEO position for 1.5X amount of dollars. You have the opportunity to do accomplish a lot more at Microsoft due to their vast amount of resources.
It's really not a tough decision to make. Strick is going to be AD at a school that in the last 10 years has won multiple NC's in football and basketball, the BIG money sports. Then they also have a stellar baseball program, softball, swimming, women's soccer, etc.
How many national titles has Scott won at State? 0. He will have a ring for something within 2-3 years max

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2016, 08:25 PM
Let's say you are CEO of a profitable, yet relatively small computer software company making X amount of dollars.
Then Microsoft calls and offers you their CEO position for 1.5X amount of dollars. You have the opportunity to do accomplish a lot more at Microsoft due to their vast amount of resources.
It's really not a tough decision to make. Strick is going to be AD at a school that in the last 10 years has won multiple NC's in football and basketball, the BIG money sports. Then they also have a stellar baseball program, softball, swimming, women's soccer, etc.
How many national titles has Scott won at State? 0. He will have a ring for something within 2-3 years max

Agree but at what point does the cycle stop?

With your logic, MSU will never be able to keep
Someone that is worth a damn, because once incompetence invades a power program, they'll come looking for our guys that's worth a damn.

Funny how Stricklin's prayer decided to go with more money

Bothrops
09-30-2016, 08:46 PM
If you were to ask me, I'd say the whole thing is embarrassing for MSU. He might regret it down the road, but I'd wash my hands of it either way. That's my take away.

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Depends on who you talk to. Personally I think he wants to be the SEC commissioner one day and this gets him closer to that.

Maybe he does but....Kramer went from Vanderbilt to the commissioners chair.

Slive had no sec ties but was the commissioner of another conference.

Shankey came to be Slives right hand without any sec ties.

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2016, 09:10 PM
Exactly Shotgun. It is really really disheartening for a Starkville guy to leave. I agree with Bothrops, embarrassing.

But maybe the next guy has the balls to make the LFL first class rather a series of "cabanas".

@Dallas....he said it wasn't about the money. Not sure if I believe that...but SS said it.

Todd4State
09-30-2016, 09:18 PM
Maybe he does but....Kramer went from Vanderbilt to the commissioners chair.

Slive had no sec ties but was the commissioner of another conference.

Shankey came to be Slives right hand without any sec ties.

It can be done, but why not make yourself more attractive to the SEC if you are Stricklin? He has been at Kentucky, MSU, and now Florida. That's a lot of potential allies in his corner and represents just about every type of SEC school in the league.

Dawgface
09-30-2016, 09:34 PM
I don't know why this is hard to figure out. He will be making a lot more money at a school that is more nationally recognized in sports than MSU. This will be a nice addition to his resume if he indeed does have aspirations for something 'higher' down the road.

Jack Lambert
09-30-2016, 09:51 PM
If you were to ask me, I'd say the whole thing is embarrassing for MSU. He might regret it down the road, but I'd wash my hands of it either way. That's my take away.

It's a job. Nothing embarrassing about it. We were looking when we found him.

BHildreth3
09-30-2016, 09:52 PM
Those that are upset are ****ing idiots. He doesn't owe Starkville, MSU or fans anything. He did the right thing which was moving on for a better situation, more pay and closer to what he wants which is the Commissioner job. I love State but my goodness, it is not the ultimate job. Grow up and realize this. We will be fine but for the most part, we are a lauchpad for ultimate jobs. It's reality for the most part. We need to make sure we hire well and hopefully we find people that want to make MSU, their final destination.

BrunswickDawg
09-30-2016, 10:05 PM
Agree but at what point does the cycle stop?

With your logic, MSU will never be able to keep
Someone that is worth a damn, because once incompetence invades a power program, they'll come looking for our guys that's worth a damn.

Funny how Stricklin's prayer decided to go with more money

Must believe in Joel Osteen and the Gospel of Prosperity

PassInterference
09-30-2016, 10:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

Homedawg
09-30-2016, 10:19 PM
He gave no reason for leaving other than he prayed and God told him to not fear change. Or something along those lines. Bottom line, God answers a pray and the answer isnt Starkville......again.

He got the best ad Job in the country and for more money. Doesn't need to explain anything to me. Florida is a way better ad job than here. Fact. Doesn't mean someone might choose not to leave in the same situation, but odds are against us everytime.

DancingRabbit
09-30-2016, 10:22 PM
I think some would be OK with him leaving if it was after we fired him.

BayouDawg
09-30-2016, 10:51 PM
I wish Scott the best, but the thing that would give me pause if I was Scott is that Foley is still gonna have a lot of say in the goings on in the administration building. If Foley is really going to be pulling the strings then if there is a bad hire strick is the fall guy.

Spiderman
09-30-2016, 11:05 PM

Y'all ever noticed God has never told anybody to take a pay cut, or not take the job that pays more?

sleepy dawg
09-30-2016, 11:07 PM

Yup... Not knocking prayer, but it's such an easy way out when speaking in public speaking. If you say you did something b/c God said, then you're an asshole if you question that. Some folks further north have built their whole careers around this fact.

Bothrops
09-30-2016, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=BHildreth3;622708]I love State but my goodness, it is not the ultimate job./QUOTE]

If I were an aspiring AD, and got that job at my alma mater..in the SEC, no less, it'd be a huge dream job.

shannondawg
10-01-2016, 07:13 AM
You offer me double what I'm getting? Thanks, I think up the reasons I'm taking it later.

smootness
10-01-2016, 07:23 AM
I mean, the reasons seen pretty obvious - more money, career advancement, chance to be AD at one of the top schools in the country.

smootness
10-01-2016, 07:24 AM

Why is this embarrassing for us?

msbulldog
10-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Brandon Walker in his latest post on BSR said Strick on H2H said it was because of the money. Walker went off. I didn't hear the H2H interview, is Walker correct or not?

Maroonthirteen
10-01-2016, 08:17 AM
Walker would be incorrect.

Stricklin referenced the movie Money Ball and said never make a decision based on money.

Maroonthirteen
10-01-2016, 08:22 AM
For those defending Stricklin's decision because of Florida's athletic prowess, bigger brand and etc.

Tell me why I should spend my limited time and money next weekend to go to the Auburn game in Starkville?

I could use that time to go Gainesville or Fayetteville or use the money to go to the OM today....to watch bigger better games.

Tell me why.

Spiderman
10-01-2016, 08:36 AM
For those defending Stricklin's decision because of Florida's athletic prowess, bigger brand and etc.

Tell me why I should spend my limited time and money next weekend to go to the Auburn game in Starkville?

I could use that time to go Gainesville or Fayetteville or use the money to go to the OM today....to watch bigger better games.

Tell me why.

This.

And for whoever asked why we should be embarrassed? Because unlike Mullen or Byrne, he was one of us, not a hired gun. He just told everybody that State wasn't good enough for him to reach his goals.

How would it feel for Cohen to go to LSU to coach, because he figured it would be easier?

Same thing.

So how can you convince future recruits or coaches that it can be done here? According to Scott, it can't be.

Coackjek
10-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Y'all ever noticed God has never told anybody to take a pay cut, or not take the job that pays more?

It's happened to me before. He's a little bit more in the public eye than I am though.

Todd4State
10-01-2016, 03:58 PM
This.

And for whoever asked why we should be embarrassed? Because unlike Mullen or Byrne, he was one of us, not a hired gun. He just told everybody that State wasn't good enough for him to reach his goals.

How would it feel for Cohen to go to LSU to coach, because he figured it would be easier?

Same thing.

So how can you convince future recruits or coaches that it can be done here? According to Scott, it can't be.

You get more money you can tithe more.

Coackjek
10-01-2016, 04:17 PM
Am I sad that Strickland is leaving? Yes. Do I feel slighted be him? No. Do I wish that one time the "big boys" would lose out to us? Yes. I understand that some feel hurt because he was a Mississippi boy. That doesn't bother me. He seems to be the type that no matter where he ends up he holds true to his roots and is proud of the influence and experiences. I don't post often as evidenced by my post count, but read several times a day. Often there are post that are upset with him for everything from personnel to game day experiences to court designs. But I would argue that some of his decisions, against the norm, especially marketing ideas has gotten a lot better since he took over. Sometimes people need a change, I do about every 7-8 years. You can pick a part his interviews and snippets of what he has said and form your own opinion, you're allowed. But I'm convinced whatever he says will never be enough for some of you to accept that he's gone. I've always believed that you are missed the most when you leave and the next guy comes along. Jm2c

TUSK
10-01-2016, 04:24 PM

that's bc God get's 10%, ya know...*

Dammit Todd... I hate you.

dawgoneyall
10-01-2016, 04:34 PM
So will our next AD.