PDA

View Full Version : Possible Les Miles landing spot

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-30-2016, 01:48 PM
link (http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/friday-five-which-schools-are-the-most-likely-les-miles-destinations/)

4. Mississippi State: This is not me saying I believe Dan Mullen is going to get fired. I don't. What I believe is that it's very possible that at the end of the season, Mullen could be looking to get out of Starkville.
I don't know if you noticed, but Mullen's boss left him earlier this week. Scott Stricklin didn't hire Mullen at Mississippi State, but has been the school's athletic director since 2010 left for the same job at Florida.
While there's never been any hard evidence, Mullen's name has popped up as an interested party for other jobs -- like Penn State -- in the past. With Stricklin now gone, and a new boss coming in, it's possible Mullen might be more eager to move on at the end of the season if the right opportunity presents itself. And if he does leave, you have to think Mississippi State would be happy to replace him with Miles, who not only continues to give the program credibility, but has plenty of experience in the SEC West.

KentuckyDawg13
09-30-2016, 01:51 PM
Can you imagine how poorly Les would under-perform without elite talent?!

No chance in Hades.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-30-2016, 01:54 PM
yea we would go back to the Croom years. Zero QB development. The positive would be our recruiting would be amped but if you can't develop and utilize it what good is it? And Les thought it was hard to beat Bama at LSU, he would multiply that by 100 here.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Seriously, does Dan's agent work for CBS sports LOL? First Gary and now this shit.

thf24
09-30-2016, 01:58 PM
yea we would go back to the Croom years. Zero QB development. The positive would be our recruiting would be amped but if you can't develop and utilize it what good is it? And Les thought it was hard to beat Bama at LSU, he would multiply that by 100 here.

Not sure even this would be true. Was it Les or was it LSU who recruited well?

KentuckyDawg13
09-30-2016, 02:02 PM
Les won't coach again. He is set for life. Enough millions in his buyout to eat grass for decades.

PMDawg
09-30-2016, 02:07 PM
I am not a Les Miles fan. At all. However, if a coach whose career win % after 16 seasons is 72% will come to your school, you take him. That said, he wouldn't want to come to our school.

ILOATHEBears
09-30-2016, 02:14 PM
Les won't coach again. He is set for life. Enough millions in his buyout to eat grass for decades.

He had already said he would be around football coaching in some aspect. If I'm Dan I hire les. Put Hevesy in an office job let les coach oline and croot Louisiana. That's a huge upgrade

starkvegasdawg
09-30-2016, 02:17 PM
He had already said he would be around football coaching in some aspect. If I'm Dan I hire les. Put Hevesy in an office job let les coach oline and croot Louisiana. That's a huge upgrade

I don't want Hev in an office job. I want him manning a radar station in the Arctic by the end of the day. Just mail him his clothes.

RocketDawg
09-30-2016, 02:36 PM

But he still wants to coach according to an article a day or two after he was let go.

vv83
09-30-2016, 02:39 PM
I don't want Hev in an office job. I want him manning a radar station in the Arctic by the end of the day. Just mail him his clothes.

Does Les take a job working as an assistant for someone he's beaten 8 times?

Cooterpoot
09-30-2016, 02:51 PM
Les will end up in the Big 10. He's just like most the coaches in that conference.

DownwardDawg
09-30-2016, 03:11 PM
He'll be at Kentucky next year.

TrapGame
09-30-2016, 03:29 PM
Les was a decent coach at Oklahoma State but he wasn't winning 9/10 games a year. After Saban's initial influence on LSU's program faded we saw the real Les Miles. He's an 8-4 coach at best.

preachermatt83
09-30-2016, 03:52 PM
He'll be at Kentucky next year.

This is my thought too. And he will struggle

preachermatt83
09-30-2016, 03:53 PM
Les was a decent coach at Oklahoma State but he wasn't winning 9/10 games a year. After Saban's initial influence on LSU's program faded we saw the real Les Miles. He's an 8-4 coach at best.

This^^

Really Clark?
09-30-2016, 04:01 PM

I don't think that highly of Les but after 3 years the previous coaches influence is gone. Years 6 until last year Miles won 11, 13 (finished 2nd in the nation), 10, 10, 8, & 9 wins. Now Saban did turn the program around and laid a better foundation but Les won more and more consistently than Saban did. At least for his first 10 years. He is a 10+ win coach at LSU for 7 of his 11 years and won only 8 games twice.

ETA. At a lesser program I agree, probably 6-8 wins season would be the norm. Maybe 9 every once in a while.

RocketDawg
09-30-2016, 04:05 PM
I don't think that highly of Les but after 3 years the previous coaches influence is gone. Years 6 until last year Miles won 11, 13 (finished 2nd in the nation), 10, 10, 8, & 9 wins. Now Saban did turn the program around and laid a better foundation but Les won more and more consistently than Saban did. At least for his first 10 years. He is a 10+ win coach at LSU for 7 of his 11 years and won only 8 games twice.

ETA. At a lesser program I agree, probably 6-8 wins season would be the norm. Maybe 9 every once in a while.

I'd rather have Dan, but if something happens and Dan leaves or gets fired, then Les would be OK. He had a better record at LSU than Saban did (but I think Saban followed DiNardo).

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2016, 04:06 PM
I think the answer here is mostly in the middle. Les doesn't necessarily excite me, but he does have really good / elite attributes.

1. He can recruit and has excellent contacts in Louisiana & Texas, which we need. I have no doubt that our recruiting would leap instantly.
2. He is a good program runner with sound judgement & his players play extremely hard for him.
3. He'd bring some swag to MSU.

Obviously, the main negative is his offensive style and stubbornness with it. However, if our job came open, I think I'd definitely interview him to hear his thoughts on how he'd change his offensive philosophy if he were to get another big time job. If he says he wouldn't change, then I wouldn't hire him, but, if he said he go to the spread offense and already had a coordinator in mind, I'd definitely listen.

Les Miles is an excellent football coach and motivator. Sometimes people re-invent themselves, but people don't like to hear that.

IMO Les is a good option if MSU fans are ok winning 7-8 games a year with an occasional run if the right QB fell into his lap. I realize that isn't sexy though.

If Les was truly serious about re-inventing his career, he should take a year off and consult for Petrino, Rich Rod, David Shaw, etc and learn how to adapt his offense to the modern game.

smootness
09-30-2016, 04:09 PM
Les will end up in the Big 10. He's just like most the coaches in that conference.

Do you mean great?

Meyer, Harbaugh, Dantonio. Then Fitzgerald, Ferentz.

Big 10 coaches are better than SEC coaches right now.

BB30
09-30-2016, 04:45 PM
I think the answer here is mostly in the middle. Les doesn't necessarily excite me, but he does have really good / elite attributes.

1. He can recruit and has excellent contacts in Louisiana & Texas, which we need. I have no doubt that our recruiting would leap instantly.
2. He is a good program runner with sound judgement & his players play extremely hard for him.

Obviously, the main negative is his offensive style and stubbornness with it. However, if our job came open, I think I'd definitely interview him to hear his thoughts on how he'd change his offensive philosophy if he were to get another big time job. If he says he wouldn't change, then I wouldn't hire him, but, if he said he go to the spread offense and already had a coordinator in mind, I'd definitely listen.

Les Miles is an excellent football coach and motivator. Sometimes people re-invent themselves, but people don't like to hear that.

IMO Les is a good option if MSU fans are ok winning 7-8 games a year with an occasional run if the right QB fell into his lap. I realize that isn't sexy though.

If Les was truly serious about re-inventing his career, he should take a year off and consult for Petrino, Rich Rod, David Shaw, etc and learn how to adapt his offense to the modern game.

Ok so winning 7-8 games? Why get rid of who we have then? If we fire Mullen the powers that be better sure as Shi have an exciting hire ready to be announced and in the bag already. If not we will quickly be looking like KY, USC or Mizzou. It was not that long ago that many looked at KY as a better football program than us. No way we need to hire a retread. This and the Gus thing are mind boggling at best. I am not ready to get rid of Mullen yet but I wouldn't call myself a Mullenite either. If we are going to get rid of him whenever that time comes I hope we have a very good game plan for making a splash hire similar to when Mullen was hired that will unite the fan base again. Someone young, energetic and up for the job.

Really Clark?
09-30-2016, 04:49 PM

Disagree with the good program runner with sound judgement part. He has made some very poor descisions at times. Especially with how he has handled several off the field issues.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Ok so winning 7-8 games? Why get rid of who we have then? If we fire Mullen the powers that be better sure as Shi have an exciting hire ready to be announced and in the bag already. If not we will quickly be looking like KY, USC or Mizzou. It was not that long ago that many looked at KY as a better football program than us. No way we need to hire a retread. This and the Gus thing are mind boggling at best. I am not ready to get rid of Mullen yet but I wouldn't call myself a Mullenite either. If we are going to get rid of him whenever that time comes I hope we have a very good game plan for making a splash hire similar to when Mullen was hired that will unite the fan base again. Someone young, energetic and up for the job.

Completely agree. That's why any talk of firing Mullen is completely idiotic and not worth any mature, objective person's time.

If Mullen left on his own though...

BB30
09-30-2016, 05:04 PM
Completely agree. That's why any talk of firing Mullen is completely idiotic and not worth any mature, objective person's time.

If Mullen left on his own though...

Yea, if we got in a pinch and Mullen bailed it would be interesting. We have historically struggled to make consecutive good hires. I am hoping the new administration whoever it may be will do their due diligence and find the right guy. Because, whether we want to admit it or not it is going to take a special coach to win big and consistently here.

FISHDAWG
09-30-2016, 05:08 PM
Can you imagine how poorly Les would under-perform without elite talent?!

No chance in Hades.

I'll bet you a dollar against a hole in a donut that Les wouldn't have a 170 lb running back and trying to force him up the middle

TUSK
09-30-2016, 05:38 PM
Do you mean great?

Meyer, Harbaugh, Dantonio. Then Fitzgerald, Ferentz.

Big 10 coaches are better than SEC coaches right now.

one of those is not like the others...

msstate7
09-30-2016, 05:43 PM
one of those is not like the others...

130-88 isn't bad at Iowa. Been to orange x2, Rose, capital one, outback x4, and others... pretty good at Iowa

Really Clark?
09-30-2016, 05:59 PM
130-88 isn't bad at Iowa. Been to orange x2, Rose, capital one, outback x4, and others... pretty good at Iowa

Yeah. I like him a little better than Fitzgerald. Half of Fitz years are losing years. .546 winning percentage.

Dawg61
09-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Are we forgetting that Les has thrown pot shots at us for years now including multiple shots at our use of the cowbells? He is a bitch and he's dumb as hell. Pass on Les!

TUSK
09-30-2016, 06:58 PM

I'd agree he's "good"... but "great" is a stretch IMO... he's def overpaid...

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Disagree with the good program runner with sound judgement part. He has made some very poor descisions at times. Especially with how he has handled several off the field issues.

I always thought he had good roster management & his guys played hard. I appears that he just made some decisions don't morally agree this, but that doesn't mean they were bad decisions.

Todd4State
09-30-2016, 07:22 PM

Every coach is going to make a poor decision at some point.

That said no to Les. In fact if given the choice between Dan and Miles I would rather keep Dan of those were my two options.

Todd4State
09-30-2016, 07:24 PM
I always thought he had good roster management & his guys played hard. I appears that he just made some decisions don't morally agree this, but that doesn't mean they were bad decisions.

Their QB play usually was the main thing that held them back aside from two minute drill management.

DownwardDawg
09-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Every coach is going to make a poor decision at some point.

That said no to Les. In fact if given the choice between Dan and Miles I would rather keep Dan of those were my two options.

Me too.

Bothrops
09-30-2016, 08:36 PM
Mr. Mullins ain't going anywhere unless he's shown the door, and that ain't happening before the 2017 season, unless he's caught looking.

Les Miles probably won't corch in the SEC again.

oldtrickdawg
09-30-2016, 08:59 PM
We definitely do not need Les Miles at Dawg U.....Just block his coming to us out of your mind....

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
10-01-2016, 12:49 AM

Got to spread some rep around before given it to starkvegas again...

War Machine Dawg
10-01-2016, 01:59 AM

Philip Montgomery. Current Tulsa HC, former Baylor OC. Not implicated in the rape coverup scandal. The dude is a damn good coach and we could do wayyyyyy worse.

That said, if I were in charge, I'd make Gary Patterson say no. Dunno what he's making at TCU, but I'd offer enough it would tempt him to test himself in the SEC.

smootness
10-01-2016, 06:50 AM
I'd agree he's "good"... but "great" is a stretch IMO... he's def overpaid...

That's why I listed him after the top 3. The top 3 are what make it great overall. But Ferentz as the #4 or #5 coach in your conference? Yes, that's really good.

The SEC right now has Saban, Mullen, Bielema, Sumlin, Freeze, and a bunch of either mediocre or unproven coaches. That's nowhere close to what the Big 10 has right now.

Turfdawg67
10-01-2016, 09:51 AM
One team's trash is another team's treasure...

GTHOM
10-01-2016, 01:08 PM
We are not hiring Les Miles