notsofarawaydawg
09-30-2016, 10:48 AM
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p572/sixpaksux/chucky_zpsl9wkxslh.jpg

BulldogBear
09-30-2016, 11:26 AM
Win the press conference

M.Fillmore
09-30-2016, 01:01 PM
This post will be very politically incorrect, and I know I'll get hammered here and especially on bear boards by the bear lurkers.

Chucky Mullins gave a very cheap hit that lead to his death. There is a fabulous short training film on football safety called "Heads Up." The film is about 15 years old and it is, sadly, still quite timely. The film is well done with Tony Dungee, Grant Teaff, orthopedic surgeons, and trainers. I have told many Dads and coaches that they should make this film required viewing. Guess which hit the film covers early on as the way not to tackle? Yep, Chucky Mullins. He was taught to tackle that way. It is very dangerous for the defender and the receiver. Everyone in the game knew at the time that type hit is dirty and dangerous, and no one coached Mullins differently. This is not a matter of, "we didn't know then what we know now," as people in the game knew the hit was intended to hurt players. While the Vandy player was spared, Mullins paid for the hit with his life.

People gripe about the targeting rules. My only gripe about them is the rules were way overdue. I have seen other video of nothing but hits that ended in paralysis. You watch 10-15 minutes of video of nothing but paralysis after paralysis, and your tune will change on targeting. Targeting is down, moreso to avoid the penalty than to produce safety.

In typical OM mastery of PR, they have taken what should have been a negative and turned it into a marketing machine for them. Chucky Mullins is a sad figure of football history. Perhaps sadder is that the lesson of Chucky Mullins has been missed by so many.

TheRef
09-30-2016, 01:17 PM
This post will be very politically incorrect, and I know I'll get hammered here and especially on bear boards by the bear lurkers.

Chucky Mullins gave a very cheap hit that lead to his death. There is a fabulous short training film on football safety called "Heads Up." The film is about 15 years old and it is, sadly, still quite timely. The film is well done with Tony Dungee, Grant Teaff, orthopedic surgeons, and trainers. I have told many Dads and coaches that they should make this film required viewing. Guess which hit the film covers early on as the way not to tackle? Yep, Chucky Mullins. He was taught to tackle that way. It is very dangerous for the defender and the receiver. Everyone in the game knew at the time that type hit is dirty and dangerous, and no one coached Mullins differently. This is not a matter of, "we didn't know then what we know now," as people in the game knew the hit was intended to hurt players. While the Vandy player was spared, Mullins paid for the hit with his life.

People gripe about the targeting rules. My only gripe about them is the rules were way overdue. I have seen other video of nothing but hits that ended in paralysis. You watch 10-15 minutes of video of nothing but paralysis after paralysis, and your tune will change on targeting. Targeting is down, moreso to avoid the penalty than to produce safety.

In typical OM mastery of PR, they have taken what should have been a negative and turned it into a marketing machine for them. Chucky Mullins is a sad figure of football history. Perhaps sadder is that the lesson of Chucky Mullins has been missed by so many.

Well said...

tireddawg
09-30-2016, 04:18 PM
Indeed. Hard truth