PDA

View Full Version : Man....F*CK Saban......

Taog Redloh
09-30-2016, 08:51 AM
Who the hell is he to call anyone a quitter?

RocketDawg
09-30-2016, 08:53 AM
Who? Referring to Barnett, his ex-QB?

And you're right, assuming you mean how he left LSU, then left Miami after saying, I guess the day before, that he had no interest in the Alabama job.

Thick
09-30-2016, 08:54 AM
True dat!

PassInterference
09-30-2016, 08:58 AM
Hey, Saban, ya know what I call a coach who processes players? A QUITTER!

maroonmania
09-30-2016, 09:00 AM
Saban could learn a lesson from Mullen on this one to show a little class. I hated Staley left but I thought Mullen handled that situation about as well as it could have been handled.

Taog Redloh
09-30-2016, 09:00 AM
Who? Referring to Barnett, his ex-QB?

And you're right, assuming you mean how he left LSU, then left Miami after saying, I guess the day before, that he had no interest in the Alabama job.

What does he make? 10 million a year? In a sport where the coaches and universities literally have ALL the chips in their favor? Man, I never was for paying the players until I hear shitstains like him say things like he said about Barnette. Just unfathomable how he's going to throw a moral cheap shot out there at an 18 year old trying to better himself.

How is it not understandable what Barnette is doing? There are tons of other examples of ill-advised transfers, and he chooses this one to go on a diatribe about sticking to your words, being patient and all that other crap. That asshole is just mad that his 10 million dollar ass doesn't have a backup QB.

Cooterpoot
09-30-2016, 09:09 AM
Did Saban leave in the middle of a season? Because that's what he's ripping on him for.

HSVDawg
09-30-2016, 09:14 AM

Barnett is a quitter. But Saban is also an asshole. So, there was nothing earth shattering at all about his statement.

Todd4State
09-30-2016, 09:15 AM
Saban could learn a lesson from Mullen on this one to show a little class. I hated Staley left but I thought Mullen handled that situation about as well as it could have been handled.

I agree with you and also with Dan. Quarterback is a little bit different because only one guy can play. If you have a bunch of them like we did or if you have an underclassman starting over an upperclassman, a transfer shouldn't be shocking.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2016, 09:24 AM
It is a little different also in the person who is starting over him is a freshman. It isn't like he can wait his turn and start as a senior. He doesn't have any room to talk about sticking to your word when he processes players out that don't live up to expectations and several times does it by putting them on medical scholarship which ends their football career.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2016, 09:25 AM

He plays by a different set of rules because he wins. Recruiting won't suffer one bit.

maroonmania
09-30-2016, 09:32 AM
It is a little different also in the person who is starting over him is a freshman. It isn't like he can wait his turn and start as a senior. He doesn't have any room to talk about sticking to your word when he processes players out that don't live up to expectations and several times does it by putting them on medical scholarship which ends their football career.

Yep, Saban has no problem dumping a player out of his program that is dead weight. He might not do it in the middle of the season but that is ONLY because he wouldn't be able to replace him at that time.

Taog Redloh
09-30-2016, 09:57 AM
Barnett is a quitter. But Saban is also an asshole. So, there was nothing earth shattering at all about his statement.

I don't care if it was earth-shattering. It was still wrong, hypocritical and less than understanding. Just because I expected it doesn't change that.

And no, Barnett isn't a quitter. See Tbonewannabe's post below.

Taog Redloh
09-30-2016, 09:58 AM
He plays by a different set of rules because he wins. Recruiting won't suffer one bit.

I don't care if he suffers. I can still call him out for being a shit ball.

BeardoMSU
09-30-2016, 10:14 AM

Geez...

You're right, it's his duty to sit on the bench and watch his playing career wither away.

Taog Redloh
09-30-2016, 10:19 AM
Geez...

You're right, it's his duty to sit on the bench and watch his playing career wither away.

Saban jumps jobs repeatedly, getting raises, he's smart.

NFL-caliber QB recruits transfers because a guy younger than him will likely start for 3-4 years, leaving him with no platform to show the NFL his worth, he's a quitter.

Yep makes sense.

HSVDawg
09-30-2016, 10:37 AM
I don't care if it was earth-shattering. It was still wrong, hypocritical and less than understanding. Just because I expected it doesn't change that.

And no, Barnett isn't a quitter. See Tbonewannabe's post below.

If you can't see the difference between quitting in the middle of the season vs. leaving in August after fall camp or in December after the season, then I don't know what to tell you. He is just going to be sitting on his ass for 6 months not doing anything, and all the while his eligibility clock will be ticking. That is a quitter. Name me one player on the two deep of a national title contender (or any Power 5 team, for that matter) that left his team in the middle of the season. What Barnett did is pretty much unprecedented.

I'm not disputing your comments about Saban at all. He's an asshole, hypocrite, and definitely looking out only for his own self interests. But everyone should have already known all that about him before this situation ever came up.

HSVDawg
09-30-2016, 10:42 AM
Geez...

As opposed to sitting on his couch watching his playing career withering away? Which way do you think he has a better chance to see the field or get better as a QB? His eligibility clock is running either way. And he was one play away from being the man and potentially leading a team with an elite supporting cast to a national title. Then it becomes Hurts who is looking to get out.

parabrave
09-30-2016, 10:47 AM
Wasn't Carson Wendtz in the same situation? He was sitting on the bench when he transfered to NDST so he could play.

Taog Redloh
09-30-2016, 10:52 AM
He is just going to be sitting on his ass for 6 months not doing anything, and all the while his eligibility clock will be ticking.
His eligibility clock just stopped. He'll miss 4 games next year. I do see your point about practice though, he certainly will need to do his own training for the rest of this year and spring. If it was me, I'd probably keep going until December and go redshirt somewhere, or play JUCO. But I'm not calling him a quitter for preserving some of his year next season.

dawgday166
09-30-2016, 11:04 AM
His eligibility clock just stopped. He'll miss 4 games next year. I do see your point about practice though, he certainly will need to do his own training for the rest of this year and spring. If it was me, I'd probably keep going until December and go redshirt somewhere, or play JUCO. But I'm not calling him a quitter for preserving some of his year next season.

Won't he be able to practice with his new team next spring?

HSVDawg
09-30-2016, 11:12 AM

That is not how it works. Your eligibility clock starts at enrollment and continues for 5 years (in which you can play 4). There are no NCAA bylaws that allow you to count only a portion of a season towards eligibility or pause your eligibility clock. He has already burned two of his 5 seasons no matter what, and will burn a 3rd season if he sits due to a transfer to another FBS school.

msbulldog
09-30-2016, 12:52 PM
Saban could have just said, wish him well. What an A-hole.

dawgday166
09-30-2016, 12:55 PM
The Dark Lord has spoken. Beware Young Jedi Barnett of the Wrath of the Dark Side!

Op4isabitch
09-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Y'all say what you want but I'd give my low hanging testicle to have a Coach like Saban.

Gutter Cobreh
09-30-2016, 02:03 PM
That is not how it works. Your eligibility clock starts at enrollment and continues for 5 years (in which you can play 4). There are no NCAA bylaws that allow you to count only a portion of a season towards eligibility or pause your eligibility clock. He has already burned two of his 5 seasons no matter what, and will burn a 3rd season if he sits due to a transfer to another FBS school.

Interesting article below on how Barnett may skirt a transfer rule...

http://247sports.com/Article/Alabama-QB-Blake-Barnett-has-more-options-than-you-think-as-a-tr-47861580

dawgday166
09-30-2016, 02:07 PM

http://247sports.com/Article/Alabama-QB-Blake-Barnett-has-more-options-than-you-think-as-a-tr-47861580

I would guess Barnett's parents are doing well enough to get a good lawyer to look at things. Smart move if that's the case.

dawgday166
09-30-2016, 02:08 PM
Y'all say what you want but I'd give my low hanging testicle to have a Coach like Saban.

Not arguing that. There's a lot of things I like about Saban ... but this ain't one of them.

Taog Redloh
09-30-2016, 02:28 PM

Yeah, HSVDawg is not very informed on this one.

RocketDawg
09-30-2016, 02:34 PM

Any chance he would head our way?

HSVDawg
09-30-2016, 02:38 PM
Yeah, HSVDawg is not very informed on this one.

I'm not? I wouldn't say that based on a kid trying to exploit a loophole that has never been exploited in the history of college athletics. Let me know when he finds a JUCO where he can enroll in October. If he does, it's basically the same situation as Staley except he likely won't be able to play football until the spring (so he'll be sitting on his ass....like I said). And his clock is still ticking. There is no "eligible after 4 games" BS. Either he'll be able to play next year, or he won't. If he is, he has 3 years left. If not, only 2. This year still counts all the way through.

TUSK
09-30-2016, 06:55 PM

Dawg61
09-30-2016, 07:15 PM
http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/bloguploads/u-mad-1.jpg

WinningIsRelentless
09-30-2016, 07:26 PM
I'm not? I wouldn't say that based on a kid trying to exploit a loophole that has never been exploited in the history of college athletics. Let me know when he finds a JUCO where he can enroll in October. If he does, it's basically the same situation as Staley except he likely won't be able to play football until the spring (so he'll be sitting on his ass....like I said). And his clock is still ticking. There is no "eligible after 4 games" BS. Either he'll be able to play next year, or he won't. If he is, he has 3 years left. If not, only 2. This year still counts all the way through.

You do realize jucos now have 8 week sessions where you go 3 hours instead of 1.5 hours right?

HSVDawg
09-30-2016, 09:47 PM
You do realize jucos now have 8 week sessions where you go 3 hours instead of 1.5 hours right?

I won't lie and say that I keep up with JUCO course enrollment windows that much. But I do know that JUCO football teams start camp in August and games in early September just like 4 year colleges do. And Barrett isn't going to waltz into any JUCO in the country where he shows up on campus on Monday in October and is the starting QB the following Saturday. And if he isn't going to be spending the remainder of the fall honing his skills on the football field somewhere, then he made a pretty big mistake, in my opinion.

If he did find a loophole he can exploit, that's great. More power to him. He will likely be the first and last athlete to ever do so because the NCAA or Power 5 conference commisioners (or both) will close that loophole as a first order of business next offseason when the rules committees begin to meet. Either way, he's still a quitter and an idiot for bailing on a national title contender midseason when he was the #2 QB who had played in 3 out of the 4 games. End of story.

Taog Redloh
09-30-2016, 09:50 PM
Google the situation and read before you question people. You're way off here.

Jack Lambert
09-30-2016, 09:53 PM
I agree with you and also with Dan. Quarterback is a little bit different because only one guy can play. If you have a bunch of them like we did or if you have an underclassman starting over an upperclassman, a transfer shouldn't be shocking.

You got to ask yourself, "Why is Bama so short on QB's". They shouldn't be short on any position with 15 five stars and 37 four stars.

Todd4State
09-30-2016, 10:10 PM
You got to ask yourself, "Why is Bama so short on QB's". They shouldn't be short on any position with 15 five stars and 37 four stars.

I don't think they are short on QB's at all. Hurts is really good. It just so happens that their best QB is a freshman.

HSVDawg
09-30-2016, 10:14 PM
Google the situation and read before you question people. You're way off here.

I'm way off on my own opinion? I know the situation. I know Saban's an asshole. I know Saban gave him starter volume reps in camp and started him against USC with full intention of going to Hurts for the rest of the game / season in an effort to delay his departure from August until the end of the season. None of that is lost on me. I still think the kid could have handled it way better than he did, and stuck it out for his teammates at least until December. You act like Saban being an asshole and one of his players being a ***** are two mutually exclusive things. I am saying both of those things are true

Quaoarsking
09-30-2016, 11:05 PM
I want to say that Notre Dame had a QB who did this a few years ago. Quit a couple games into the season, and then was able to play the next season at some MAC school after sitting out just a couple of games.

Personally, I think it's pretty nit-shit to leave mid-season though. Who knows - Hurts could get injured or just start sucking. Plus, how awkward is it going to be for his new team next year to have some other QB play for 4 games knowing that Barnett is coming in later to finish the season?

ETA: It was Demetrius Jones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demetrius_Jones). He played 1 game as QB at Notre Dame in 2007 before quitting the team and enrolling at Northern Illinois. However, somehow Notre Dame was able to block that and he wound up playing at Cincinnati in 2008 as a linebacker.

HSVDawg
09-30-2016, 11:14 PM
I want to say that Notre Dame had a QB who did this a few years ago. Quit a couple games into the season, and then was able to play the next season at some MAC school after sitting out just a couple of games.

Personally, I think it's pretty nit-shit to leave mid-season though. Who knows - Hurts could get injured or just start sucking. Plus, how awkward is it going to be for his new team next year to have some other QB play for 4 games knowing that Barnett is coming in later to finish the season?

Agreed. Don't see that situation working out well for anybody. But I won't believe it happens until it actually does. The articles I've read indicate that there are multiple different interpretations to the particular bylaw in question and that there may not be agreement even within the NCAA as to how it should be applied in this instance since it is so rarely invoked. If he does pursue this route, I think in the end the NCAA is going to have to rule on his eligibility as an independent case (kind of like they did with Masoli at OM). After that ruling, my guess is that loophole gets closed permanently.