PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Warning: MLS Post - Soccer Haters Stay Out

War Machine Dawg
09-29-2016, 10:25 AM
Any of you guys keeping up with the new Atlanta United franchise that gets started up in 2017? I've been trying to keep up a little since they're going to be the closest team to us geographically. Noticed they hired former Argentina manager Gerardo "Tata" Martino. Seems like a solid hire, but what do you guys think of it?

mstatefan91
09-29-2016, 10:39 AM
I've kept up a little bit. Thought I might get in on the ground floor of fandom for a new franchise, but work/school has kept me from really digging into the meat and bones of the team.

BrunswickDawg
09-29-2016, 10:50 AM
I think it is a great hire, and I like that they got him in ahead of truly building the roster. Can't argue too much with a guy who ran Barca. My only worry is how he will translate to MLS.

I have been following the build of the franchise even though Orlando City is actually closer to me geographically. I grew up in the first wave of youth soccer in Metro Atl, and was big Atlanta Chiefs and Graham Tutt fan at the tail end of the old NASL so having a team back in ATL is awesome to me.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-29-2016, 12:11 PM
I decided I'd follow them since I really don't watch much MLS and need a reason to get more into it. Plus it'll be cool to follow a team from its start. Seems like a good coach hire, but I haven't really gotten into it yet.

On a side note: I wish that MLS teams wouldn't rip British naming traditions. "United" actually means that multiple clubs merged together, it's not just a suffix to throw on the end of the team name. And we call it soccer in America, so I wish they would call themselves soccer clubs, instead of football clubs. Stick with America team name traditions. Give the team a nickname, and if you want to, throw in S.C. at the end.

smootness
09-29-2016, 12:23 PM
The Atlanta organization as a whole has been built really well, and their initial signings have been great so far...they've avoided going to 'big name' route so far and instead have just made really good signings. Their first DP, for example, was Hector Villalba, who is not a name in any way, but he's a good young player from Argentina who has played really well in the Argentinian league. They've also signed Kenwyne Jones as a non-DP player and have offered Andres Guardado.

I think they're going to have a chance to be pretty good right out of the gate, and the fan response has been overwhelmingly positive. Already 22,000 season tickets sold, which would have put them 2nd in the entire league last year.

smootness
09-29-2016, 12:24 PM
I decided I'd follow them since I really don't watch much MLS and need a reason to get more into it. Plus it'll be cool to follow a team from its start. Seems like a good coach hire, but I haven't really gotten into it yet.

On a side note: I wish that MLS teams wouldn't rip British naming traditions. "United" actually means that multiple clubs merged together, it's not just a suffix to throw on the end of the team name. And we call it soccer in America, so I wish they would call themselves soccer clubs, instead of football clubs. Stick with America team name traditions. Give the team a nickname, and if you want to, throw in S.C. at the end.

I agree. My preference was Atlanta SC or SC Atlanta. Atlanta FC/FC Atlanta would have been fine with me as well.

I hate Atlanta United. But I'll deal with it.

Tbonewannabe
09-29-2016, 12:48 PM
I agree. My preference was Atlanta SC or SC Atlanta. Atlanta FC/FC Atlanta would have been fine with me as well.

I hate Atlanta United. But I'll deal with it.

The reasoning behind it is basically the Civil Rights Era having a huge impact on the city. It is more that the city is united behind the team with no division. At least I think I read that in one of the press releases.

DawgHouseUnited
09-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Just found out about them but I quickly followed them on the twitter. Would love for them to take off and make it to a game. One of my little ones is loving soccer right now.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-29-2016, 06:00 PM
The Atlanta organization as a whole has been built really well, and their initial signings have been great so far...they've avoided going to 'big name' route so far and instead have just made really good signings. Their first DP, for example, was Hector Villalba, who is not a name in any way, but he's a good young player from Argentina who has played really well in the Argentinian league. They've also signed Kenwyne Jones as a non-DP player and have offered Andres Guardado.

I think they're going to have a chance to be pretty good right out of the gate, and the fan response has been overwhelmingly positive. Already 22,000 season tickets sold, which would have put them 2nd in the entire league last year.

Is there any indication of who the DP players could potentially be? I guess that would probably be hard to speculate this far from January transfer window.

Liverpooldawg
09-29-2016, 06:06 PM
In England the "United" in a name generally means two or more clubs merged so some time in the past to form the current club. I've never been a fan of appropriating Euro style name just because it sounds cool. Take Real Salt Lake. In Spain the "Real" means "royal" . Royal Salt Lake?

RocketDawg
09-29-2016, 06:33 PM
Where is the Atlanta team going to be playing? Georgia Dome?

Tbonewannabe
09-29-2016, 06:35 PM
Where is the Atlanta team going to be playing? Georgia Dome?

Yes, the new stadium.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-29-2016, 06:57 PM
Yes, the new stadium.
I hope there are plans to get in their own soccer specific stadium at some point. Even if the the new Georgia Dome is meant to accommodate soccer, it's still going to be more than half empty on the best days.

ETA: just looked at the new stadiums Wikipedia page, the picture of what the stadium will look like for a soccer game is badass. And the lower deck seats for football are built to retract so that the soccer field is full size. Would imbed the picture but I'm on my phone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Stadium

BrunswickDawg
09-29-2016, 07:18 PM
I hope there are plans to get in their own soccer specific stadium at some point. Even if the the new Georgia Dome is meant to accommodate soccer, it's still going to be more than half empty on the best days.

ETA: just looked at the new stadiums Wikipedia page, the picture of what the stadium will look like for a soccer game is badass. And the lower deck seats for football are built to retract so that the soccer field is full size. Would imbed the picture but I'm on my phone.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/Mercedes-Benz_Stadium_interior_bowl_rendering.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/New_Atlanta_Stadium_MLS_configuration.jpg

The way they are closing off the upper deck is a great idea. Should make it feel like a cozy stadium

RocketDawg
09-29-2016, 07:26 PM

Haven't looked at the new stadium in a while. Looks a lot like Jerry's World on the inside.

War Machine Dawg
09-29-2016, 07:55 PM
Makes me happy to see this thread get some traction. That new stadium looks badass. Is it just me or does it kinda have an Old Trafford look for soccer?

I've tried to watch some MLS and enjoy watching Portland & Seattle. But damn they're so far away and they aren't on tv regularly. It'll definitely be cool to have a club nearby who will (hopefully) be on TV every week during the season.

Glad to hear they're trying to build around young up and coming talent. Still interested to see who they splurge on as an aging "star" to help get fans to the game. Probably out of the price range, but I'd murder and destroy to see them bring in Bastian Schweingsteiger.

DawgHouseUnited
09-29-2016, 09:19 PM
Makes me happy to see this thread get some traction. That new stadium looks badass. Is it just me or does it kinda have an Old Trafford look for soccer?

I've tried to watch some MLS and enjoy watching Portland & Seattle. But damn they're so far away and they aren't on tv regularly. It'll definitely be cool to have a club nearby who will (hopefully) be on TV every week during the season.

Glad to hear they're trying to build around young up and coming talent. Still interested to see who they splurge on as an aging "star" to help get fans to the game. Probably out of the price range, but I'd murder and destroy to see them bring in Bastian Schweingsteiger.

Is Rooney winding down at Man U?

War Machine Dawg
09-29-2016, 10:43 PM
Is Rooney winding down at Man U?

Yeah, he'd be another great option if he were interested. But he seems bound and determined to prove he's still capable of playing at a high level in the PL. Schweinsteiger has talked about being open to a move to MLS, which is why I mentioned him.

DudyDawg
09-30-2016, 08:31 AM
My biggest fear is the stadium. A few other teams use curtains and things like it to make the atmosphere seem more intimate, but I've never seen it really work. Look at BC place for Vancouver whitecap or Century Link when the top of tarped over to get an idea. I'm not sure how that will look. Wish they would build a 22,000ish seat soccer specific venue.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-30-2016, 09:43 AM
My biggest fear is the stadium. A few other teams use curtains and things like it to make the atmosphere seem more intimate, but I've never seen it really work. Look at BC place for Vancouver whitecap or Century Link when the top of tarped over to get an idea. I'm not sure how that will look. Wish they would build a 22,000ish seat soccer specific venue.

I hope so too. I'm glad to see the new Georiga Dome was built with the intention of hosting a soccer team, but a soccer specific venue would still be ideal.

smootness
09-30-2016, 10:31 AM
The reasoning behind it is basically the Civil Rights Era having a huge impact on the city. It is more that the city is united behind the team with no division. At least I think I read that in one of the press releases.

I'm sure they tried to rationalize. I wouldn't expect them to say, 'we're calling it Atlanta United because there are other soccer teams that call themselves 'United'". But that's what they did.

smootness
09-30-2016, 10:33 AM
In England the "United" in a name generally means two or more clubs merged so some time in the past to form the current club. I've never been a fan of appropriating Euro style name just because it sounds cool. Take Real Salt Lake. In Spain the "Real" means "royal" . Royal Salt Lake?

Probably the worst one. 'Real Salt Lake' just sounds really stupid. It's worse than having American-sounding names, not better.

smootness
09-30-2016, 10:35 AM

The difference is that they built this one specifically with soccer in mind. I think it's going to be sick.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2016, 11:04 AM
The difference is that they built this one specifically with soccer in mind. I think it's going to be sick.

Yes. Art owns the Falcons and Atlanta United so the stadium was designed to be used for both.I think it is going to be a great venue.

DudyDawg
09-30-2016, 11:12 AM

Still, at the end of the day you'll be in a 70k seater with 30k. It won't matter as much the first few years while they go through the honeymoon stage, but by years 3-4 it will. I think they'll have a real problem with intimacy and creating real atmosphere

War Machine Dawg
09-30-2016, 12:19 PM
The more I read, the more I like the hire of Tata as manager. The only negative for me personally is that he apparently doesn't speak English. All the official vids released by the club are translated from Spanish. Not a huge deal, especially if he's planning to learn the language, but it'd be nice not to have everything subtitled so you have to read. Other than that, hell of a hire, imo.

BrunswickDawg
09-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Probably the worst one. 'Real Salt Lake' just sounds really stupid. It's worse than having American-sounding names, not better.

Well, beats the way teams in the ATL normally name themselves - remember the Atlanta Thrashers? No one was intimidated by the State Bird as a mascot.
Or the Atlanta Silverbacks? Willie B was cool when I was 7, but naming yourselves after a gorilla in the local zoo? Not so much.

I do like the name of the support group though - Terminus Legion.