PDA

View Full Version : Bo Bounds say our AD Job Is Highly Sought After

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2016, 10:08 AM
Just caught the end of Bo Bounds where he said that he's hearing from people in the know that there are some big names interested in our AD job & that Cohen isn't anywhere near a shoe in. Now, I don't know the world of ADs to the point where I would have any idea who the "big names" are, but it sounded positive nonetheless.

QuadrupleOption
09-29-2016, 10:10 AM
I think given our budget and membership in the SEC, our AD position would indeed be highly sought after. Also the fact that our last two ADs have moved on to what could be perceived as bigger jobs.

War Machine Dawg
09-29-2016, 10:15 AM
I think given our budget and membership in the SEC, our AD position would indeed be highly sought after. Also the fact that our last two ADs have moved on to what could be perceived as bigger jobs.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/173/164/nailed_it_RE_20th_Century_fox_theme_on_flute-s240x320-227191.jpg

Taog Redloh
09-29-2016, 10:39 AM
All these ADs have their strengths and weaknesses. Byrne was one of the best out there, or at least made to look that way because he succeeded Templeton. I mean dude stood up to Ron Polk and all his minions. Stricklin was a great fundraiser, but he didn't exactly command respect from the coaches and wasn't particularly great at those hard decisions. Cohen was heavily involved in the hiring of Mullen and Howland.

I think Cohen would be a cold, hard guy that would demand winning and we WOULD win, because he knows how to win. As long as some other guys in the department can handle fundraising, which I hear they can, Cohen would be a great choice IMO.

That's not to say the other guys wouldn't be fine too.

starkvegasdawg
09-29-2016, 10:40 AM
so we're not going after Bracky's third cousin twice removed?

starkvegasdawg
09-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Cohen was heavily involved in the hiring of Mullen and Howland..

So 1 out of 2?***

Meatloaf said that 2 out of 3 ain't bad and he's on pace for that.

gtowndawg
09-29-2016, 10:47 AM
Cohen was heavily involved in the hiring of Mullen and Howland.

I'd like to hear more about this. Something in me is very intrigued with Cohen. We have good fundraisers and marketing people. Let him handle WINNING.

Taog Redloh
09-29-2016, 10:52 AM
I'd like to hear more about this. Something in me is very intrigued with Cohen. We have good fundraisers and marketing people. Let him handle WINNING.

That's all I got. So many people have an over-inflated image of what MSU can do in athletics. If you point that out, they say I am 'poor lil moo u'. When in reality, I'm just being realistic. No one says we shouldn't maximize what he have. Doing any less than that would certainly be 'poor lil moo u', ie what Templeton did and the hires he made.

Cohen is an outside the box hire, and that scares people. But if there is something that we need at MSU, it's outside the box thinking. Once we build a SUSTAINABLE athletic program, that is winning championships in multiple sports, THEN we can start doing the mainstream things that other power programs do. But until we build that, we will fail at doing the same things others do.

Political Hack
09-29-2016, 10:56 AM
We have a new age thinker that's brought innovative ideas to our athletic department for some time already and it's not Cohen. I'm not saying he wouldn't be good. I have no clue. But I don't think he's the top guy from inside.

That said, the hire is coming from the outside. I'm almost certain of this now based on feedback. I also think we might already know who the front runner is, but I don't want to say anything to derail the hiring process either. They have to, and should, interview a lot of people and do a thorough search. This is a major, major hire. Arguably much more important than hiring a big 3 coach.

bulldogcountry1
09-29-2016, 10:58 AM
So, is Cohen a serious candidate who is actually interested, or is this all fan talk?

STATEBALLIN
09-29-2016, 10:58 AM
I don't know if you're full of *hit or not. You post like you know what the hell you're talking about, and it sounds good to me!

lamont
09-29-2016, 11:00 AM
Cohen is not going to be AD

Cooterpoot
09-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Cohen is going to get a serious look. But I think even he knows now isn't the right time. Not with the new stadium stuff and our program being where it's at. I think he's the next guy in line. If I were handicapping the AD odds, I'd say the guy at Central Michigan is the favorite.

HSVDawg
09-29-2016, 11:15 AM
Cohen would be a horrible choice. Coaching baseball at MSU is a full time job and not one that I think anyone wants him to start slacking off on due to other obligations. Hiring the baseball coach as AD worked out somewhat poorly for LSU and looks like it is working out very poorly at South Carolina. We do not need to go down that path. The only reason we even gave him the associate AD title was to justify giving him a big raise.

RocketDawg
09-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Any danger that Cohen would put baseball in the forefront of his priorities and make football secondary, and basketball the poor stepchild?

preachermatt83
09-29-2016, 11:32 AM
Cohen is not going to be AD

This^

Ifyouonlyknew
09-29-2016, 11:33 AM
There's enough qualified candidates with experience that I don't think Cohen is the guy. I do think he will be groomed if you will so whenever the next AD hire comes up he's the guy.

preachermatt83
09-29-2016, 11:36 AM
We have a new age thinker that's brought innovative ideas to our athletic department for some time already and it's not Cohen. I'm not saying he wouldn't be good. I have no clue. But I don't think he's the top guy from inside.

That said, the hire is coming from the outside. I'm almost certain of this now based on feedback. I also think we might already know who the front runner is, but I don't want to say anything to derail the hiring process either. They have to, and should, interview a lot of people and do a thorough search. This is a major, major hire. Arguably much more important than hiring a big 3 coach.

If it comes from the outside, which I think it prob will, it will be a splash hire. Only internal guy I like to have a shot is Weatherbee. Richey might get an interview just bc some Cigar boys like him but he will never get the job.

Jack Lambert
09-29-2016, 11:52 AM
So 1 out of 2?***

Meatloaf said that 2 out of 3 ain't bad and he's on pace for that.

But he was talking about *****.

Commercecomet24
09-29-2016, 12:06 PM
FWIW talked to someone inside the baseball program. Cohen told him not to listen to any rumors about the AD job, that he ain't leaving coaching. Who knows. Personally I want him to keep coaching and I think we need someone else as ad anyways.

basedog
09-29-2016, 12:26 PM
We have hired one AD since the Shira era that has been an athletic director and he came out of retirement, Carl Maddox, rest had never been the head man. (This goes back even further).

We also have only hired one HC for football since the Shira era that was a HC except The Kang. (This goes back even further)

I wonder if a new direction will take place with our next AD and HC for football?

Maybe it isn't the gamble hiring an assistant AD but it is a bigger gamble hiring an assitant head coach for football.

If money isn't the issue with either, then what would be the hold back for hiring either with both being the head men for AD/HC Football?

BulldogBear
09-29-2016, 12:27 PM
Yawn...

another Cohen...not Cohen...Cohen....not Cohen...thread

Political Hack
09-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Cohen is going to get a serious look. But I think even he knows now isn't the right time. Not with the new stadium stuff and our program being where it's at. I think he's the next guy in line. If I were handicapping the AD odds, I'd say the guy at Central Michigan is the favorite.

Small post count but a big brain.

starkvegasdawg
09-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Yawn...

another Cohen...not Cohen...Cohen....not Cohen...thread

Thius kind of stuff is our specialty. We even have a cheer along those lines. MAROON....WHITE...MAROON...WHITE...

msbulldog
09-29-2016, 12:35 PM
We need Cohen coaching, best chance for a NC.

HSVDawg
09-29-2016, 12:42 PM
There's enough qualified candidates with experience that I don't think Cohen is the guy. I do think he will be groomed if you will so whenever the next AD hire comes up he's the guy.

Cohen does not need to be the guy until he stops coaching. Period. And arguably not even then. So anyone who thinks he would be a great hire need to let us know who will replace him on the diamond, because him pulling double duty would be a disaster for both the baseball team and for management of the athletic department as a whole.

preachermatt83
09-29-2016, 12:59 PM

Adidas

MSUDawg99
09-29-2016, 01:09 PM
So, is Cohen a serious candidate who is actually interested, or is this all fan talk?

I'd guess it's 70/30 fan talk.

BulldogBear
09-29-2016, 02:15 PM
Thius kind of stuff is our specialty. We even have a cheer along those lines. MAROON....WHITE...MAROON...WHITE...
So, the maroon, white cheer can actually understood as a debate.***

GTHOM
09-29-2016, 02:28 PM
All these ADs have their strengths and weaknesses. Byrne was one of the best out there, or at least made to look that way because he succeeded Templeton. I mean dude stood up to Ron Polk and all his minions. Stricklin was a great fundraiser, but he didn't exactly command respect from the coaches and wasn't particularly great at those hard decisions. Cohen was heavily involved in the hiring of Mullen and Howland.

I think Cohen would be a cold, hard guy that would demand winning and we WOULD win, because he knows how to win. As long as some other guys in the department can handle fundraising, which I hear they can, Cohen would be a great choice IMO.

That's not to say the other guys wouldn't be fine too.

So you're telling me our baseball coach was better at hiring coaches than our AD was?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-29-2016, 02:29 PM

Dave Heeke: http://www.cmuchippewas.com/genrel/heeke_dave02.html

Any ties to Mississippi or MSU?

Jack Lambert
09-29-2016, 02:30 PM
No shit, who doesn't want to make 1 million a year unless you are making more already.

was21
09-29-2016, 02:39 PM
LSU hired another guy after the baseball coach/AD retired and he had turned out to be a PR nightmare.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-29-2016, 03:07 PM

You beat me to the link! I did notice that he is an Adidas guy and was co-captain of his college baseball team. That's good thing since we are a baseball school.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-29-2016, 03:15 PM
You beat me to the link! I did notice that he is an Adidas guy and was co-captain of his college baseball team. That's good thing since we are a baseball school.

True, but I'm more impressed by this:

Heeke is contributing to the national landscape as a member of the NCAA Division I Baseball Committee and the Division I Football Issues Committee, serving as chair of the football committee in 2012-13, his fifth and final year. He had previously served on the baseball committee from 2006-08.
In June 2013, Heeke was appointed to the Division I Athletic Director Advisory Group. One of just 11 Division I athletic director's nationwide to be selected for the appointment, the group will meet periodically with NCAA President Mark Emmert and his staff to provide feedback and perspective on issues affecting DI athletics.

RocketDawg
09-29-2016, 04:11 PM
Cohen does not need to be the guy until he stops coaching. Period. And arguably not even then. So anyone who thinks he would be a great hire need to let us know who will replace him on the diamond, because him pulling double duty would be a disaster for both the baseball team and for management of the athletic department as a whole.

Admittedly, I don't know any of them ... but from television observation, Cohen's personality seems closer to Dan's than it does to either Scott or Byrne. In other words, a little brusque ... rough around the edges. I would think we need more of a salesman at AD instead of a coach type.

RocketDawg
09-29-2016, 04:16 PM

He would probably jump at the chance for an SEC AD position. But he probably needs another step or two in lesser conferences before he takes on the big boys. For instance, I just scanned his bio and it said he was responsible for raising $1.2M for the athletic department ... I guess that's big money in their conference but just a drop in the bucket in the SEC.

The Assistant AD at A&M might very well be the one, and he's a State alum. That actually could be a negative if you want fresh blood though.

DancingRabbit
09-29-2016, 05:17 PM
He would probably jump at the chance for an SEC AD position. But he probably needs another step or two in lesser conferences before he takes on the big boys. For instance, I just scanned his bio and it said he was responsible for raising $1.2M for the athletic department ... I guess that's big money in their conference but just a drop in the bucket in the SEC.

The Assistant AD at A&M might very well be the one, and he's a State alum. That actually could be a negative if you want fresh blood though.

He's been at aTm since 2003, and before that he was VP of Communications for HealthSouth. So he's not a Bryan Building hire.

SDDawg
09-29-2016, 05:29 PM
Bobby C. for AD. Two thumbs up.

Todd4State
09-29-2016, 05:38 PM

The MAC is lesser conference.

Jarius
09-29-2016, 06:15 PM
I think Cohen would be an excellent AD, and I do not want us to hire him right now.

nsvltndog
09-29-2016, 06:36 PM
I would think some of the sitting AD's at Big 12 schools not named Texas or Oklahoma might be interested given the potentially short shelf life of that conference as a serious competitor to the other 4 big conferences. Kansas State AD has SEC ties and seemed close with Stricklin when our football series with them was being arranged.

JohnnyQuid
10-01-2016, 06:07 AM
FWIW talked to someone inside the baseball program. Cohen told him not to listen to any rumors about the AD job, that he ain't leaving coaching. Who knows. Personally I want him to keep coaching and I think we need someone else as ad anyways.

yea i just see Cohen as a hyper competitive guy that likes being around the game of baseball and part of wins/losses. at some point he might be the guy but for both sides the timing just seems very off right now