PDA

View Full Version : Firing a coach mid season

BB30
09-28-2016, 08:57 AM
So, with LSU firing Miles do they get a head start on finding a coach? I was just curious what the benefit of firing mid season is. It would seem that you would not be able to talk to any school's coach until that school's season is over with. So will they just have to sit in limbo until the season is over with or can they start to contact prospective coaches?

lamont
09-28-2016, 09:05 AM
LSU has already begun talking to agents of coaches. They will have a deal in place with someone and then it will be announced after the season.

Johnson85
09-28-2016, 09:27 AM
So, with LSU firing Miles do they get a head start on finding a coach? I was just curious what the benefit of firing mid season is. It would seem that you would not be able to talk to any school's coach until that school's season is over with. So will they just have to sit in limbo until the season is over with or can they start to contact prospective coaches?

The advantages are that you get to start talking to agents early and you shut down some of the negative blowback from boosters.

But that's not why LSU did it. They had a potential interim coach available that would not only coach his heart out, but that would recruit his ass off, hoping for a shot at the permanent job. They had already tried to fire their coach and been shut down by the governor. They didn't face the normal negative consequences for firing midseason, and if they waited until the end of the season, they would run the risk of political interference based on how the state government finances are. The risk for them is if they don't want the Ogre to be head coach and he goes on a run to finish the season, coaches that would otherwise jump might be a little hesitant about coming into a divided locker room.

Tbonewannabe
09-28-2016, 09:58 AM
The advantages are that you get to start talking to agents early and you shut down some of the negative blowback from boosters.

But that's not why LSU did it. They had a potential interim coach available that would not only coach his heart out, but that would recruit his ass off, hoping for a shot at the permanent job. They had already tried to fire their coach and been shut down by the governor. They didn't face the normal negative consequences for firing midseason, and if they waited until the end of the season, they would run the risk of political interference based on how the state government finances are. The risk for them is if they don't want the Ogre to be head coach and he goes on a run to finish the season, coaches that would otherwise jump might be a little hesitant about coming into a divided locker room.

They would also run the risk of LSU winning some games which would make it harder to fire him. It would be like if we fired Dan after South Alabama but instead we let him coach out the year. If he ends up winning 7 games which includes the Egg Bowl then he is not getting fired. They wanted Les gone and this was the first chance they could do it.

Really Clark?
09-28-2016, 10:00 AM
It helped So Car soooo much.***

Johnson85
09-28-2016, 10:06 AM
They would also run the risk of LSU winning some games which would make it harder to fire him. It would be like if we fired Dan after South Alabama but instead we let him coach out the year. If he ends up winning 7 games which includes the Egg Bowl then he is not getting fired. They wanted Les gone and this was the first chance they could do it.

Yes. That's what I meant. It's just that winning games, short of running the table, would not matter to the people ready to pay his buyout and to the administration at LSU. The money has been committed since last people and the people that matter within LSU are not going to change their mind short of beating Bama, and maybe not even then. But the governor would still not like paying millions of dollars to Miles and his staff to not coach while the school is crying poor to the legislature.

Tbonewannabe
09-28-2016, 10:09 AM
It helped So Car soooo much.***

Spurrier retired early because it was hurting recruiting so much.

Really Clark?
09-28-2016, 10:16 AM
Spurrier retired early because it was hurting recruiting so much.

Same difference and actually should have helped the school have a better replacement ready since he "retired/told to retire". And when these *** are used, should you really debate the statement? I was just being sarcastic not argumentative.

dawgday166
09-28-2016, 10:18 AM
Same difference and actually should have helped the school have a better replacement ready since he "retired/told to retire". And when these *** are used, should you really debate the statement? I was just being sarcastic not argumentative.

Well I'd have to say I don't understand their hire. Muschamp was a terrible hire IMO.

Really Clark?
09-28-2016, 10:32 AM
Well I'd have to say I don't understand their hire. Muschamp was a terrible hire IMO.

I agree. Maybe this is a good fit for USCe but even their other possible choices after having all fall were pretty weak

Tbonewannabe
09-28-2016, 11:52 AM

I realized what you were talking about, just wanted to throw it out there that even if Spurrier ended up making a bowl, he was done. I am not sure if firing or a coach retiring in the middle of a season ever helps anything.

Gutter Cobreh
09-28-2016, 11:53 AM
For a school like LSU there is benefit for it occurring during the season, as mentioned above. For USCe, they don't have the prestige so even if they line up a deal with an agent - the minute a more lucrative offer from a better school comes along the coach pursues that option.

Fuente from Memphis I'm sure would have taken the USCe job if he thought he was tapped at Memphis and VT didn't come along. VT comes along and he bolts there as who really would want to take over a program where the former coach simply quit halfway through.

LSU doesn't have to worry about that. Coaches will line up down the street to be considered for that position.