PDA

View Full Version : Don't just promote from within

Dawgfan77
09-27-2016, 07:31 AM
We need a national search and bring in someone who is a dynamic marketer and great fundraiser and someone who is not Afraid to hire and fire coaches. All you guys upset over Scott leaving remember he was set up for success by Byrne. He did very little other than ride the ninjas coat tails. If you had the pleasure of meeting him he didn't strike you as a true leader. Go get someone who is a sitting AD at a G5 school

Homedawg
09-27-2016, 07:35 AM
We need a national search and bring in someone who is a dynamic marketer and great fundraiser and someone who is not Afraid to hire and fire coaches. All you guys upset over Scott leaving remember he was set up for success by Byrne. He did very little other than ride the ninjas coat tails. If you had the pleasure of meeting him he didn't strike you as a true leader. Go get someone who is a sitting AD at a G5 school
Rode coat tails....righttttttttttttt

Hrdawg82
09-27-2016, 07:59 AM

Yeah that isnt accurate. Strickland did a hell of a job which is why Florida came calling. Look at how he transformed our athletics with social media. To say he rode any coat tails is a little absurd.

MaxedOutMaroon
09-27-2016, 08:11 AM
Stricklin
Marketing/Social Media: A-; great not perfect
Hiring skills: B-; Rick Ray still sits there, but Holland brings it back up.

To me he was average to slightly above average. We could do better but also do worse in my opinion

basedog
09-27-2016, 08:29 AM
Damn!

Things have gone south way to much on ED, it's every post just about with doom and gloom! Sometimes I just read and wonder if some really got a degree from Msu.

Scott did no harm to Msu overall, we are in much better shape than ever before, he also was promoted from within. If there is someone within our administration who is worthy of being promoted that's a good thing. I have no idea if one is and I'm betting 99% of the folks posting really know either. Oh wait, I forget about ********** he knows everything that is best for Msu.

Thank the good Lord we have some leaders that other schools want.

This post isn't necessarily pointing at the poster's above.

blacklistedbully
09-27-2016, 09:56 AM
"If a school is in the market for an athletic director, Sean Frazier's name is likely on a lot of wishlists.

The Northern Illinois AD is one of the hottest young ADs in the country, and his name was recently linked to the opening at Pittsburgh, which used the same search firm Syracuse has hired to assist with its own search.

He's a football guy. He played at Alabama, coached at Maine and later spent six seasons at Wisconsin under Barry Alvarez, providing the financial resources to aid the Badgers' three-year Big Ten title run."

Current bio:
http://northernnow.com/taking-the-reins-of-niu-athletics-q-a-with-sean-frazier/

blacklistedbully
09-27-2016, 10:01 AM
Jason Cook, Texas A&M

Jason D. Cook serves as Senior Associate Athletics Director – External Affairs for Texas A&M University and one of the top overall athletics programs in the country. In this role, Cook directs athletics-related branding and marketing, media relations, broadcast initiatives, sponsorships, lettermen’s activities and strategic partnerships.

Most recently, Cook has been heavily involved in the branding, operations and fan experience components of the redevelopment of Texas A&M’s Kyle Field, the largest such project in college football history. Included in Cook’s work with Kyle Field is the Hall of Champions, a 100-yard-long interactive space that celebrates athletic and academic success across all sports.

At the conference level, Cook is Texas A&M’s lead contact for the recently launched SEC Network and is also a member of the Southeastern Conference’s Fan Experience Working Group and Image Enhancement Committee.

Cook, who served as Texas A&M’s Vice President for Marketing & Communications from 2008-13, played a key role in the Aggies’ transition to the SEC in 2012, which elevated the university’s brand both academically and athletically across the nation. For his efforts, Cook was named the International Brand Master of the Year by the Educational Marketing Group. Additionally, Cook guided the award-winning, pre- and post-campaign strategy behind quarterback Johnny Manziel – #JohnnyFootball – becoming the first-ever freshman to win the prestigious Heisman Trophy.

Since joining The Texas A&M University System in 2003, Cook has served in a variety of leadership capacities, including Chief Communications Officer for the system’s 11 universities, seven state agencies and health science center. He previously served as Assistant Vice President of Media and Communications for Birmingham, Ala.-based HealthSouth Corporation, then a member of the Fortune 500.

A graduate of Mississippi State University, Cook began his career in athletics media relations, working with former Texas A&M football coach Jackie Sherrill beginning in his first season with the Bulldogs.

Cook, 42, earned his accreditation in public relations from the Public Relations Society of America in 2000. His wife, Leann Weidenbach Cook, is a 1992 Texas A&M graduate and former Assistant Commissioner of the SEC. They have two sons, Brayden and Jace.

mparkerfd20
09-27-2016, 10:07 AM
Jason Cook, Texas A&M.....

Cook would be a HR hire.

gtowndawg
09-27-2016, 10:08 AM
I've obviously missed it, but can someone recap Cohen to AD thoughts? I've seen someone suggest that he wants to go into administration. But do we know that for a fact? I have to admit the idea is intriguing to me but I would love to hear why it would be a good idea.

He does have a Masters in Sports Management from Missouri (I admit, I didn't know that). I know he comes from a very smart family, his Dad is a professor at Alabama right? Interesting idea at least.

blacklistedbully
09-27-2016, 10:09 AM
"Mario Moccia, New Mexico State

http://www.nmstatesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=178

Here’s another former Mizzou senior staffer who cut his teeth alongside Alden at New Mexico and Southwest Texas State then came to Mizzou with his boss and served as Alden’s top lieutenant for seven years. As AD at Southern Illinois-Carbondale, Moccia, 47, overhauled the Salukis’ facilities thanks to a massive fundraising campaign, while 11 Saluki teams captured conference championships under his watch. Moccia just recently left SIU for New Mexico State, his alma mater.

Salary: $240,000"

This guy is at his alma mater, but then, so was Scott. Would he jump to get in SEC and more than double his salary?

gtowndawg
09-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Jason Cook, Texas A&M

Jason D. Cook serves as Senior Associate Athletics Director – External Affairs for Texas A&M University and one of the top overall athletics programs in the country. In this role, Cook directs athletics-related branding and marketing, media relations, broadcast initiatives, sponsorships, lettermen’s activities and strategic partnerships.

Most recently, Cook has been heavily involved in the branding, operations and fan experience components of the redevelopment of Texas A&M’s Kyle Field, the largest such project in college football history. Included in Cook’s work with Kyle Field is the Hall of Champions, a 100-yard-long interactive space that celebrates athletic and academic success across all sports.

At the conference level, Cook is Texas A&M’s lead contact for the recently launched SEC Network and is also a member of the Southeastern Conference’s Fan Experience Working Group and Image Enhancement Committee.

Cook, who served as Texas A&M’s Vice President for Marketing & Communications from 2008-13, played a key role in the Aggies’ transition to the SEC in 2012, which elevated the university’s brand both academically and athletically across the nation. For his efforts, Cook was named the International Brand Master of the Year by the Educational Marketing Group. Additionally, Cook guided the award-winning, pre- and post-campaign strategy behind quarterback Johnny Manziel – #JohnnyFootball – becoming the first-ever freshman to win the prestigious Heisman Trophy.

Since joining The Texas A&M University System in 2003, Cook has served in a variety of leadership capacities, including Chief Communications Officer for the system’s 11 universities, seven state agencies and health science center. He previously served as Assistant Vice President of Media and Communications for Birmingham, Ala.-based HealthSouth Corporation, then a member of the Fortune 500.

A graduate of Mississippi State University, Cook began his career in athletics media relations, working with former Texas A&M football coach Jackie Sherrill beginning in his first season with the Bulldogs.

Cook, 42, earned his accreditation in public relations from the Public Relations Society of America in 2000. His wife, Leann Weidenbach Cook, is a 1992 Texas A&M graduate and former Assistant Commissioner of the SEC. They have two sons, Brayden and Jace.

Yeah, that's impressive. Surely he will be on a short list.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-27-2016, 10:20 AM
Florida has the resources to have hired anyone in the country that they wanted. Florida does not have to settle on any hire that they have to make. They can pinpoint 5 people whose difference in each other is miniscule.

Anyone suggesting Scott Stricklin is an average AD is saying what I said above is not true. We were very lucky that the timing was perfect for him to be ready to step in when the ninja departed. We would be so lucky to be able to do the same this time. I don't have a clue who that person might be, but from looking at the resume of the guy from A&M, along with some others some of you have provided, it is encouraging to me that it looks like we will have that opportunity.

Eta: Ask yourself this. Would you rather sign a QB that everyone else wants, or one that only we offered? So why would we want an AD that only we wanted? Having other schools wanting our people is always better than the alternative. Always.

smootness
09-27-2016, 10:24 AM
He did very little other than ride the ninjas coat tails. If you had the pleasure of meeting him he didn't strike you as a true leader.

What a joke.

blacklistedbully
09-27-2016, 10:24 AM
Scott Barnes, Utah State

http://www.utahstateaggies.com/genrel/barnes_scott00.html

Not a household name, but Barnes, 52, has across-the-board high marks at Utah State, where the on-field success has been strong in the Mountain West. Academics are excellent. Facility improvements have been nonstop. Barnes has major-conference experience at the University of Washington. In 2009, Barnes hired football coach Gary Anderson, who parlayed his success in Logan to the top job at Wisconsin. Barnes has served on the NCAA Tournament committee and currently holds the committee chairman position.

Salary: $350,108

blacklistedbully
09-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Brian Wickstrom, Louisiana-Monroe

http://www.ulmwarhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208608761

Wickstrom, 45, is entering his 3rd season at ULM after serving as AD at UC-Riverside. At Mizzou, he ran the athletics department’s capital campaign project. Wickstrom was recently named one of the top 10 fundraising ADs in Division I by CollegeAD.org

Maroons
09-27-2016, 10:49 AM
All you guys upset over Scott leaving remember he was set up for success by Byrne. He did very little other than ride the ninjas coat tails. If you had the pleasure of meeting him he didn't strike you as a true leader. Go get someone who is a sitting AD at a G5 school

This is about as ignorant as it gets.