PDA

View Full Version : Why is it not ok to take a head coach from fellow SEC schools, but ok for AD's?

IMissJack
09-26-2016, 10:13 PM
? Slive's rule.

Dawg61
09-26-2016, 11:03 PM
Excellent question

TUSK
09-26-2016, 11:06 PM
It depends on who's doin' the hiring...

plus, good ADs are much, much more common than elite coaches...

Quaoarsking
09-26-2016, 11:24 PM
And it's apparently only bad to take another school's football coach, considering how we hired away Kentucky's baseball coach while Slive was in charge.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2016, 06:07 AM
And it's apparently only bad to take another school's football coach, considering how we hired away Kentucky's baseball coach while Slive was in charge.

Was Cohen a special circumstance? MSU was his dream job. Did he have it in his contract to be able to come back home?

msbulldog
09-27-2016, 06:11 AM
Florida has a history of stealing from us Pat McMahon, our great tennis coach, whose name I can't remember and Geoff Collins . 17 them.

RocketDawg
09-27-2016, 06:16 AM
It's just for football. Without the rule, Saban would have been in Starkville for 3 or 4 years now.

Maybe it's because virtually everybody knows who major FB coaches are ... he's a celebrity ... but very few know or care to know who the ADs are.

DownwardDawg
09-27-2016, 06:24 AM
It was just a Mike Slive thing. I don't think there's any such rule. It's like a media agenda, say it enough and people start believing it as truth. (Like "hands up don't shoot")

Liverpooldawg
09-27-2016, 08:28 AM
He was an athletic director. Very few people really care. In all honesty I don't either. He did a good job, but then so did the previous one. It's just something else to whine about that we shouldn't. Go hire another one and get on with it.

RougeDawg
09-27-2016, 09:03 AM
It was just a Mike Slive thing. I don't think there's any such rule. It's like a media agenda, say it enough and people start believing it as truth. (Like "hands up don't shoot")

And "it was a book" in Charlotte.

About be topic, it only goes one way in stealing from less to more money schools and programs.

TUSK
09-27-2016, 09:30 AM
It's just for football. Without the rule, Saban would have been in Starkville for 3 or 4 years now.

Maybe it's because virtually everybody knows who major FB coaches are ... he's a celebrity ... but very few know or care to know who the ADs are.

Nice.

Johnson85
09-27-2016, 09:34 AM
? Slive's rule.

Slive put pressure on teams not to poach coaches because poaching coaches disrupts other SEC schools' programs. Losing an AD isn't nearly as disruptive. And Slive's "rule" was only enforceable to the extent AD's wanted to play nice and stay on his good side. Alabama wouldn't have given it any consideration. None of the haves would have passed on a coach if they liked him significantly more than their next best option.

Dawg61
09-27-2016, 10:55 AM
He was an athletic director. Very few people really care. In all honesty I don't either. He did a good job, but then so did the previous one. It's just something else to whine about that we shouldn't. Go hire another one and get on with it.

Lol coming from the Queen of the Whine

scottycameron
09-27-2016, 01:24 PM
Have y'all finally figured out there never was a rule? I laugh every time I see it put on here. Funny that we are the only fanbase that knows about it.

Liverpooldawg
09-27-2016, 01:26 PM
Lol coming from the Queen of the Whine

I whine about whining. ;)