PDA

View Full Version : Random Poster's AD replacement

lamont
09-26-2016, 07:25 PM
Kyle Whittingham

hahaaaaaaaaaa- just kidding

Scott Wetherbee is the guy. Already part of the department but he is somewhat of an outsider. Has done a great job on the marketing side of things. We have promoted from within the last couple of hires- but the guys we have promoted havent been State "good ol boy network" guys. They have worked other places and brought new ideas and energy.

Wetherbee in 2016
Elitedawgs.com choice as AD

Not Cohen. No. **** No

Dawgface
09-26-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm fine with that. Not that they are asking me.....

mic
09-26-2016, 07:38 PM
Kyle Whittingham

Scott Wetherbee is the guy. Already part of the department but he is somewhat of an outsider. Has done a great job on the marketing side of things. We have promoted from within the last couple of hires- but the guys we have promoted havent been State "good ol boy network" guys. They have worked other places and brought new ideas and energy.

Wetherbee in 2016

Not Cohen. No. **** No

Wetherbee great choice if we stay in house or ties to university
If we go outside the family .. Mark Harlan currently at usf
And agree Cohen no .. He can go AD northwestern st

BoomBoom
09-26-2016, 07:42 PM
Kyle Whittingham

Wetherbee in 2016

Not Cohen. No. **** No

i probably should, but i just don't give a shit about marketing. i want someone who will run a competent gameday operation.

Commercecomet24
09-26-2016, 07:44 PM
Wetherbee would be a great hire.

Coursesuper
09-26-2016, 07:44 PM
Kyle Whittingham

Wetherbee in 2016

Not Cohen. No. **** No

Agree with **** no on Cohen, only the uniformed would even suggest that, I hope that much thought is put into this because at this point this is a critical hire. Can't afford to dick this up.

I seen it dawg
09-26-2016, 07:45 PM
Kyle Whittingham

Wetherbee in 2016

Not Cohen. No. **** No

2nd this all day long

BB30
09-26-2016, 07:48 PM
i probably should, but i just don't give a shit about marketing. i want someone who will run a competent gameday operation.
Marketing plays a role in competent game day operation/success. If we were alabama uscw or Ohio state marketing wouldn't be quite as big of a deal. At state it is a big deal.

BoomBoom
09-26-2016, 07:50 PM
Marketing plays a role in competent game day operation/success. If we were alabama uscw or Ohio state marketing wouldn't be quite as big of a deal. At state it is a big deal.

sure, it plays a part. but you still have to, you know, run a competent gameday operation. right now......we don't.

Dupagedawg
09-26-2016, 07:51 PM
John David Wicker is another Young MSU grad that has distinguished himself in the athletic administration field. He is currently the Senior Associae Athletic Director at Georgia Tech. Here is his biography

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/admin/mtt/john_david_wicker_970196.html

bluelightstar
09-26-2016, 07:52 PM
Athletics these days is big business; I'm not entirely sure why people want to just hire an old head coach like it's the 70s or 80s. I know South Carolina did it with Ray Tanner, but is that really a thing schools still do?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Whit Hughes...

bobcat91
09-26-2016, 07:53 PM
I want someone with no ties to MSU. Quit being incestuous

lamont
09-26-2016, 07:54 PM
Athletics these days is big business; I'm not entirely sure why people want to just hire an old head coach like it's the 70s or 80s. I know South Carolina did it with Ray Tanner, but is that really a thing schools still do?

agreed. Need a guy that has some sports and business background. Wetherbee is well respected around campus and with some big boys.

lamont
09-26-2016, 07:56 PM
I want someone with no ties to MSU. Quit being incestuous

Why? Byrne and Stricklin did a pretty good job.

We dont need a longtime State good ol boy. But we do have some guys in house that wouldnt be bad choices. But no doubt- no 20 year in Starkville State guys

thf24
09-26-2016, 07:59 PM
Will Wetherbee tell Mullen to decide whether or not he wants to be here and stop making winning harder than it needs to be? I want whichever guy will do that.

Really Clark?
09-26-2016, 08:13 PM
Wetherbee would be a solid hire from inside our athletic department or if he was applying from the outside. The only real option IMO, to promote from within.

Todd4State
09-26-2016, 08:15 PM
I also agree about Cohen not being the AD.

Commercecomet24
09-26-2016, 08:16 PM
Wetherbee would be a solid hire from inside our athletic department or if he was applying from the outside. The only real option IMO, to promote from within.

Agree 100%. He's the only viable candidate in the department.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Second this!

PassInterference
09-26-2016, 08:36 PM
http://m.quickmeme.com/img/92/92c865cb41ad8676ddaf1f8acc397ebc07fcb2296993f8f0a2 9494621096def1.jpg

preachermatt83
09-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Cohen as AD would be dumb. I like Weatherbee. I'd offer Byrne 1mil to come back.

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2016, 09:17 PM

Marketing is MUCH more important than that. And before you start the game day operation IS part of marketing.

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2016, 09:17 PM
Kyle Whittingham

Wetherbee in 2016

Not Cohen. No. **** No

Something we might just agree on. HORRORS. LOL.

RAYn_Man
09-26-2016, 09:23 PM
Why are y'all so anti-Cohen AD? Is it because y'all don't want to lose him as baseball coach? Because I think he would be a phenomenal AD.

BoomBoom
09-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Marketing is MUCH more important than that. And before you start the game day operation IS part of marketing.

we shouldn't pay $500k+ for someone who can't do both. someone make this guy a Venn diagram: marketing is part of game day operations, but it takes much more.

lamont
09-26-2016, 09:25 PM
Why are y'all so anti-Cohen AD? Is it because y'all don't want to lose him as baseball coach? Because I think he would be a phenomenal AD.

Based on what?

I seen it dawg
09-26-2016, 09:27 PM

How do you figure? He's as qualified as I am if that. If he has a masters in sports administration. Shit at least I have experience running a large business.

BeardoMSU
09-26-2016, 09:33 PM
How do you figure? He's as qualified as I am if that.

Isn't he currently our assistant AD? Do you have that on your CV/Resume?

lamont
09-26-2016, 09:41 PM

I Seen It runs a 4 million dollar territory and all that goes with that. Cohen's budget isnt that big. He also has a sports admin degree

BeardoMSU
09-26-2016, 09:43 PM
I Seen It runs a 4 million dollar territory and all that goes with that. Cohen's budget isnt that big. He also has a sports admin degree

Ok...?

Really Clark?
09-26-2016, 09:44 PM

For less than 2 months he has had that title. He may eventually become AD and do well. But even he and Scott said it was more of something to start getting his feet wet as it MAY be something he wishes to pursue years from now after he is done coaching.

Coursesuper
09-26-2016, 09:44 PM

Absolutely the dumbest possible move that could be made. Tnere are 20 more qualified candidates. He's way to polarizing of a figure.

lamont
09-26-2016, 09:45 PM
Ok...?

So why is Cohen more qualified?

BeardoMSU
09-26-2016, 09:50 PM
So why is Cohen more qualified?

He is currently the assistant AD at Mississippi State University. I don't know....maybe that means something? Are you saying it means nothing?

And by your logic, does that mean than any successful business guy out there is a viable option for AD of a power 5 school?
is

I'm not saying that Cohen is, or should be, the guy, btw. Just to be clear. I just find it a little funny how everyone now is an "authority", despite having little to no experience in that area (and that's just a general statement, not a shot at I seen it).

ScottH
09-26-2016, 09:56 PM
If it's inside the department it's Cohen or no one. Stricklin and Cohen have been pushing it for the better part of a week.

He is the only one being seriously considered from current staff. I just don't see it. (With grammar apologies to "I seen It").

You take one of the best baseball coaches in the country and move hime from that position to a position of zero experience. Sound management.

Granted he may do great. However being a P5 SEC west team we should have an almost pick of who we want. No gamble necessary.

lamont
09-26-2016, 09:58 PM
He is currently the assistant AD at Mississippi State University. I don't know....maybe that means something? Are you saying it means nothing?

And by your logic, does that mean than any successful business guy out there is a viable option for AD of a power 5 school?
is

I'm not saying that Cohen is, or should be, the guy, btw. Just to be clear. I just find it a little funny how everyone now is an "authority", despite having little to no experience in that area (and that's just a general statement, not a shot at I seen it).

Cohen does very little AD work- its a title given to bump his salary as baseball coach. ISeenIt has an athletic admin degree and has experience handling big budgets

I'm not saying he wouldnt be a good AD- but there's nothing saying he would either. There's no way he could continue on as baseball coach and be AD.

BeardoMSU
09-26-2016, 09:58 PM
So if the Cohen rumor were to happen, what would we do about a baseball coach? Lol....shit.....

I seen it dawg
09-26-2016, 10:03 PM

What does he do in that assoc ad title? Is he taking time out of his day that deals with running a baseball program to do ad things? Or is it a title mainly given to bump his pay?

I seen it dawg
09-26-2016, 10:04 PM
For less than 2 months he has had that title. He may eventually become AD and do well. But even he and Scott said it was more of something to start getting his feet wet as it MAY be something he wishes to pursue years from now after he is done coaching.

So maybe I am more qualified...lol

I seen it dawg
09-26-2016, 10:06 PM
If it's inside the department it's Cohen or no one. Stricklin and Cohen have been pushing it for the better part of a week.

He is the only one being seriously considered from current staff. I just don't see it. (With grammar apologies to "I seen It").

You take one of the best baseball coaches in the country and move hime from that position to a position of zero experience. Sound management.

Granted he may do great. However being a P5 SEC west team we should have an almost pick of who we want. No gamble necessary.

We are MState. Hell while we are at it I'll interview for the job. I've got the degree for it and Cohen only has a few months experience on me. Oh and I've been a head baseball coach before so I've almost got him there. And I would imagine he didn't have to figure out how to get money raised and cut costs so he could get the shit he needed so kids could win baseball games. I.E having to earn his budget while actually coaching the team.

BeardoMSU
09-26-2016, 10:08 PM
So maybe I am more qualified...lol

I'm all for it, dude. Though, being AD would cut into your ability to come on ED and post "**** that guy".** Are you willing to part with that, lol?

Backspin
09-26-2016, 10:09 PM
So if the Cohen rumor were to happen, what would we do about a baseball coach? Lol....shit.....

Butch Thompson will be the head coach if Cohen moves to AD....mark it down.

BeardoMSU
09-26-2016, 10:09 PM
We are MState. Hell while we are at it I'll interview for the job. I've got the degree for it and Cohen only has a few months experience on me. Oh and I've been a head baseball coach before so I've almost got him there. And I would imagine he didn't have to figure out how to get money raised and cut costs so he could get the shit he needed so kids could win baseball games. I.E having to earn his budget while actually coaching the team.

Almost is a strong word....

I seen it dawg
09-26-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm all for it, dude. Though, being AD would cut into your ability to come on ED and post "**** that guy".** Are you willing to part with that, lol?

Absolutely not! I would create a safe posting haven closet in the Bryan building where I could type whatever I wanted

BankerDog
09-26-2016, 10:15 PM
Steve Grafton. Head of the University of Michigan Alumni Association. State Grad. Has been in a role here before.

BulldogBear
09-26-2016, 10:26 PM
Will Wetherbee tell Mullen to decide whether or not he wants to be here and stop making winning harder than it needs to be? I want whichever guy will do that.

That's my thought

GTHOM
09-26-2016, 10:27 PM
I heard Jason Cook from A&M

vindastra
09-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Jason Cook did the marketing blitz for Manziel

mic
09-26-2016, 11:31 PM
I can't believe Cohen's name is even being brought up or considered..
What's next .. If Keenum leaves let's just promote the Fiji or Pike president to fill his spot.

How bout this
Hire someone that's ****ing qualified to be an AD at a power 5 program and CJC keep doing what he does which is coach our basball team..
If he wants to be an AD .. Step down , go pay ur dues, gain some experience, prove yourself and check back with us in 5-10 years ...,

Reunion Dog
09-26-2016, 11:48 PM
!

JohnnyQuid
09-27-2016, 01:59 AM
What's next .. If Keenum leaves let's just promote the Fiji or Pike president to fill his spot.

How bout this
Hire someone that's ****ing qualified to be an AD at a power 5 program and CJC keep doing what he does which is coach our basball team..
If he wants to be an AD .. Step down , go pay ur dues, gain some experience, prove yourself and check back with us in 5-10 years ...,

this.. so much. as others said cohen's AAD title is simply a salary bump title. make a real hire-I have no knowledge of who that should be and I love cohen but this is not a hire to be taken so lightly

Todd4State
09-27-2016, 02:19 AM
I think the best thing to do if Cohen wants to be an AD would be to hire someone else this time around like Wetherbee, Cook, or whomever and then add some AD duties to Cohen's plate and see how he does with those things. And then after a few years Cohen can be promoted if he does well and he is still interested.

I would maybe put Cohen in charge of baseball/softball and see how that goes.

Todd4State
09-27-2016, 02:20 AM

How bout this

The Fiji/Pike quote was awesome.

AROB44
09-27-2016, 05:43 AM
Let's just go with C34's guy for both AD and football coach......good old Kyle. Would make lots on this board happy and would allow 34 to become offensive coordinator. NC on the horizon. *****************

shannondawg
09-27-2016, 06:10 AM
I guess I am just behind the times, and have not really paid any attention other than to the head man,and some of the fund raisers that come around, but I didn't even know who Scott Weatherbee was until this discussion.

Liverpooldawg
09-27-2016, 08:30 AM
we shouldn't pay $500k+ for someone who can't do both. someone make this guy a Venn diagram: marketing is part of game day operations, but it takes much more.

I think we have an assistant AD, maybe more than one, who does that. Same for marketing.

DudyDawg
09-27-2016, 11:02 AM
sure, it plays a part. but you still have to, you know, run a competent gameday operation. right now......we don't.

What's wrong with our game day ops?

RougeDawg
09-27-2016, 11:17 AM
I was just hoping for Cohen so we could bring in someone who actually develops players and starts putting a top 10-15 product on the field every year, which would correlate to the recruiting. We talk about football recruiting needing to pick up to move up in the football world but simply disregard the gap of results vs recruiting in baseball. Double standard around here that keeps me scratching my head.

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2016, 11:42 AM
What's wrong with our game day ops?
Stinky cups and no Juicy Jumbos?

JDog13
09-27-2016, 11:47 AM

I will. PAY ME

Rex
09-27-2016, 12:48 PM

Raffo.... Obviously

Pipedream
09-27-2016, 01:20 PM
Cohen would be an unmitigated disaster. He's a baseball coach. He has no clue how to run the day to day of a nearly $100M budget. He's a helluva baseball coach. I like that he wants the job. That's admirable, but he doesn't have the experience in administration we should require. I think Jason Cook is the right call. He has experience in the league, has strong MSU ties, but has been gone long enough for it to not be "incestuous" so to speak. He was a candidate for the Mizzou job. Unless someone that was a sitting AD with some fantastic credentials blew Keenum away in the interview, that's who we should grab, IMO.

I seen it dawg
09-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Another name out there is Dave Heeke. He's AD at Central Michigan...

MSUDawg99
09-27-2016, 04:48 PM
Another name that was brought up on B&B podcast that I hadn't thought about was Mike Nemeth.

I know he's associated with MSU but I don't know what he does. What is his title? His Twitter bio doesn't state anything. I just know that he's always posting baseball stats for current & past bulldogs & football too.

MSUDawg99
09-27-2016, 06:34 PM
BUMP.

Anyone know what Mike Nemeth does?

Really Clark?
09-27-2016, 06:41 PM
BUMP.

Anyone know what Mike Nemeth does?

Mike Nemeth, Senior Associate AD for Administration, with specific responsibilities in the areas of department-wide contracts, summer camp management, bowl game and other post-season competition organization, and scheduling athletic events. Nemeth will also lead future football scheduling efforts, will serve as the department liaison with auxiliary groups such as the band and all spirit groups, and will oversee and direct an employee orientation program and staff development. He will continue to serve as the sport administrator for baseball and will add similar responsibilities in soccer.

shrimp
09-27-2016, 08:04 PM

I have a sport admin degree, too, as well as a couple of undergraduate degrees. And I had financial oversight of a $600M per year business segment for 4 years. So there.

Schultzy
09-27-2016, 08:21 PM
Should it be bothering me that our baseball coach would rather be AD or is that just being juvenile?

preachermatt83
09-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Should it be bothering me that our baseball coach would rather be AD or is that just being juvenile?

Yup. Odd. Rep given!

TheRef
09-27-2016, 08:26 PM

No it shouldn't bother you. He had a hand in hiring Mullen and Howland.